Mr Wapiti 21-Jun-12
elkcrazy8@home 21-Jun-12
geneinidaho 21-Jun-12
The Old Sarge 21-Jun-12
Mr Wapiti 21-Jun-12
The Old Sarge 22-Jun-12
Mr Wapiti 22-Jun-12
05-Nov-08
Hey Guys, I had a buddy tell me about this hunt and how much fun it was last year, chasing bucks through the snow. I went up to scout and look around today, because I know nothing of the area. I cruised up past Arrow Rock Dam and took a left on 377 up to FSD 203. Must be some deer up there since I saw 5-6 rifle hunters. About 2inch of snow where i was. I ran into a herd of 15 does below the snow level. Does anyone hunt this area? or have any advice on how to hunt this area. Do you hunt in the snow or at the snow level? Do the bucks just stay in the snow? The does seemed to all be below the snow level. Any advice would be appreciated, and you dont have to cough up any secret spots. The plan is to spot (glass) and stalk, hopefully.

06-Nov-08
The more snow the better the big bucks will stay up high til the snow starts pushing them down. Also remember the cottonwood area is closed. I hunted a little bit but I know some spots I'll be going up the evening of the 14th or early the 15th.

06-Nov-08
The Rifle Elk season is open up there. That is why you saw the guys with guns. The rifle deer season ended the 31 of Oct. I don't hunt that area, but make sure you are above the closed area. There is a stupid triangle of closed stuff in there somewhere. I stick to other area's where I have been successful, but a lot of guys like that area. Good Luck.

06-Nov-08
Yah the closed area is the triangle formed from HWY 21 and FSD 337, I was looking basically across the road on the other side which is open. How much snow does it take to push the bucks down? Also when do Mule Deer rut? Do the bucks stay close to the Does? I saw 19 does hanging around down pretty low, out of the snow completely. I glassed for awhile but didnt see any bucks with them or close by. Wow sorry for all the questions, never hunted Mule Deer before.

07-Nov-08
On my to work I saw 3 does and two bucks together.

07-Nov-08
IdahoElk, I saw a buck sniffing a doe just on Sunday the 1st. Typically the one's I have seen Rutting is around the 15th of Nov. to the 25th. But it could be any day now until the 1st of Dec. I have seen dandy bucks pushing snow with their chest. Some come down with light snow, but the bigger one's wait till the snow is a foot deep or more. Of course all that can go out the window quickly with a "HOT" doe in the area. The bucks get dumb when they are close. In a week if you see 19 doe's around and area, keep glassing as the odds that a buck is close are really good. Just remember that those 19 sets of eye's will bust you quickly. Once in a while I will see a buck bedded all alone. That is the one you want to try and stalk, otherwise a lot of guys set up ambush points on trails. GOOD LUCK.

Mt.Man

11-Nov-08
well heading out tomorrow morning for what looks to be a nice rainstorm, as i hike and attempt to glass for the mulies. Using the info you guys provided and countless mule deer hunting articles. here it goes for first timers!!! Double checked my bow today at the nampa outdoor range, in the rain, looks like the bow shoots just fine with a little moisture, though my boss did look at me funny as i walked back into work all wet! ha. wish me well.

11-Nov-08
Good luck. The wife and I filled our tags today.

12-Nov-08

Elkcrazy @ home's embedded Photo
Seeing plenty of deer, the big bucks have not started showing up as of yesterday. Plenty of deer to keep a guy busy though. I got this guy on video.....

12-Nov-08
up here north of Salmon the muledeer rut is on; and the big ones are down. No season; but its easy to see the rut is on.

12-Nov-08
well i got out for a quick one...1 hr drive to the hunting spot. bail out of the truck and straight up the first ridge I could barely make out in the dark. picked the wrong ridge, ended up being in between to higher ridges, with deer all over the place!! just pinned down on both side by 2 herds of deer, not to mention the 3 deer i busted as i was hiking in. tried to put a stalk on what appeared to be a 3x4 (i have really crumby optics) it had tall branch antlers. Dropped down on the opposite ridge to cut up and get on top of them as they feed up the next ridge, and dropped into a huge mess of crud, took me forever to get through it, ended up MEETING the herd at the same spot. got within 100yrds but they were above me and super spooky. Checked the watch and only have 1hr left till i had to leave, ended up just sitting and attempting to glass, realized i had herds of deer all around me, unfortunately crumby optics didn't allow me to count the points, but the bucks are definitely hanging with the does, didn't seem to be any huge bucks though. hopefully will be getting back out soon! legs hurt like hell! mulie hunting sucks but im starting to get addicted!

12-Nov-08
Mt. Man, Congrats. this mulie hunting is freaking tough! thanks for making it looks so easy. my legs freaking hurt!! haha. Were you guys hunting Unit 39? post some pictures so i can feel better about myself! P.S. how do you hunt these open country mulies!!! their eyes are better than my binos, they had me pinned down constantly. they make no noise. can you call them in? or is it just spot and stalk. none of the deer had bedded, before i had to leave so i was pretty much outta luck there. anyways, congrats! i have a real appreciation for open country mulie hunting now!

12-Nov-08
The pics are on the "Gut Lure" thread. Yes we were in 39 and yes we had deer all around us as well. In fact read what happened to us. It was quite interesting. On my wife's sneak she literally had deer all around her and just kept moving very slowly. The upper deer just watched her. The lower one's ran off. She had a finger ridge between her and the deer she was sneaking on. When I felt she was at the same elevation I whistled at her. When she cut sideways and topped the finger ridge she was looking at 4 deer feeding at 25 yds. She made a great shot. Good luck.

14-Nov-08
idahoelkfever, Chuckar and I last year used one of my inflatables deer decoys and walked behind it and I empty my quiver at deer. Ray Charles had a better chance than I did. It worked awesome 40 yards was the farhtest and had my sites way off from the ride in truck. Tried to adapt and overcome. Walked right down to them and they just kept feeding.

14-Nov-08
"used one of my inflatables"

Left over from the "South Hills" hunt? LOL

14-Nov-08
Was that "inflatables" one of yours or was it Rons?

boy this is going on forever. just don't tell me it was an inflatable sheep.

14-Nov-08

Mr Wapiti's embedded Photo
RONS GIRL

14-Nov-08
I can understand how it might be tough to keep your bow arm steady if you were hunting using the inflatable.

14-Nov-08
It works great with two people

14-Nov-08
the sheep lance??

15-Nov-08
"had my sites way off"

Them some bad beer goggles there Inrut22....:~)

15-Nov-08
haha...man Lance you are quite the popular guy on here. thats not a half bad idea, watched some guys hunt antelope with decoys, pretty slick setup. i looked up some mulie decoys, looks like $80 is the cheapest. not happenin this year. you hunting 39 this year?

16-Nov-08
IEF,

Lance manufactures the inflatable muley decoy that he will sell you for less than 30.00, it does work pretty amazing :)

Tad,

You will have to ask him if he manufactures other inflatables, I'm not a plastic kind of a guy!

16-Nov-08
I have used a simple cut out of the head and neck of a muledeer; with eyes white inside the ears; nose and white throat patch painted on.

I glued a stick to the back of it; and when I am stalking; I can hold it up when the deer see me. It calms them down- and sometimes they walk over to take a closer look.

I am on a does only hunt; and can't keep the bucks out of my way of does :) I almost shot a buck yesterday; thought it was a nice doe; but just when I was going to let go and arrow; it looked back and it had an antler that was dropped down to the bottom of its jaw on its right side. NO antler on the left! I have seen several one antlered bucks; both whitetail and mulie...must be some serious fighting going on out there.

Funny how you guys are putting the sneak on bucks; and they are getting in my way of does up here !

I have only seen one tall rack; it was inside the ears; but really tall. Most bucks I am seeing are 3x4s and small ones at that... but plenty of them.

Pick a spot :)

16-Nov-08
well attempt 2 failed miserably. me and my neighbor went out today. Hes a successful deer hunter so i figured i'd have a chance. Well...if it wasnt for me, he'd have a nice tall 3x3 buck, which i so kindly spooked out of his range. to add to my misery i put 2 stalks on the same herd of deer and upon arriving where they should be...found nothing BOTH times....argh! still was fun, but 2 separate hour and half stalks with no success or flying arrows...sucks@!! im learning how this love-hate relationship works. ha

16-Nov-08

saw this one this weekend. lots of deer and lots of people

17-Nov-08
I tagged a doe today.. bucks were keeping the does on the run.

Now for December :)

Is there still a controlled hunt in the foothills?

17-Nov-08
Ok, Mr. Wapiti - quit messing around and show us the goods.

17-Nov-08

heres what he looks like on the ground :)

17-Nov-08

Mt. man's embedded Photo
Mt. man's embedded Photo
Nice buck Tad. Here is the best picture we could get of the big Whitetail buck I put BEAR on Saturday. He was a solid 6x6 and very impressive. The pic is from about 200 yds away. It was the best pic we could get. He was a toad.

17-Nov-08
Good lord! Nice buck Mr. Wapiti! How high up did you find him? I cant find anything bigger than a 3x3. Are you hunting in Unit 39? Seems there hasn't been enough weather to push the big guys down yet or so I hear. I'm just a first time Mulie hunter looking for glory! ha-ha

17-Nov-08
5000' and there were a few good ones in the area that day and only one the next. the deer all seem to move a lot right now. might be some big ones in tomorrow. you never know. the big guys all had girls and were breeding. the middle guys had girl and were breeding the second day so things are happening. saw a few still in the search and love mode, as in they come into a herd of does with lips curled and sniff them all and if nothing is happening they move on to the next batch like they have a homing device attached to each one.

17-Nov-08
Mt. man. That's hilarious - from the looks of the pic that toad was wandering around a few hundred yards (if that) from the HIGHWAY! That's enough to madden a fella.

Mr. Wapiti, thanks for owning up to that dinky buck you shot. Why would you shoot such a stanky old buck? Seriously, you should have left him there and called me. Then he would have lived another year guaranteed!

17-Nov-08
Nice one Tad.

17-Nov-08
Idabow yes it is Hwy. 55 in Horseshoe Bend. He bedded down overlooking the Hwy. What maddened me was seeing him and already being tagged out. I was letting BEAR hunt some private land with me. That buck was nowhere to be found when I was up there. I think he lives in that Alfalfa field every night. He had 1 WT doe with him and was bedding down at about 8:00 A.M.

18-Nov-08
Hey There lets go again I really want to find him and puta arrow in him

24-Nov-08
doesn't any one have any good stories from the weekend?

24-Nov-08
Well no good story here, I tryed something new this year and after not seeing much last weekend down low I decided to go up to Edna Creek/Crooked River. Never cut a fresh track. Moved down to Idaho City and went in on the Rabbit Creek RD and after an inch of snow last night saw one elk track, one bear track, two wolf tracks, but no deer.

Is this typical for these areas at this time of year? Its only 6000 feet and snow on the North side of the hills.

ES

24-Nov-08
Supersider sent me a pic on my phone of a whitetail he shot up north. Looks like a good buck. He didnt answer his phone yet..

24-Nov-08
"Is this typical for these areas at this time of year?"

No, not at all.

24-Nov-08
Well, been up 3 times and the deer have been moving farther and farther up. First 2 times, deer on the lower foothills, last weekend nothing on the lower hills, mostly on the 2nd ridge back, about 1.5 miles in. But defiantly no big bucks down low, they were rutting last weekend though. Watched a 3x3 mount up. Heading out again this weekend again, there was a dusting of snow yesterday so hopefully some animals moved back down.

25-Nov-08
I went out yesterday, and covered a ton of ground, saw about 50 deer, the best buck I saw the whole day was a fork horn that had about a 17-18 inch spread, lots of deer just couldn't seem to locate anything with branch antlers.

25-Nov-08
Went out Friday-Sunday covering about 20 miles on foot. Saw only 20 deer and 3 small bucks, 2 3x3s and a 1x2. I was up in and above the snow line mid way up the Middle Fork. Saw more elk than deer. 2 wolf tracks, 1 bobcat and some bear sign. Great to get out and roam the woods though.

25-Nov-08
went out yesterday and saw about 250-300 deer really odd year for where i am finding them. some good bucks and a few little guys.

One i found i thought was cool he is a little 8x8 i would guess he is 5" high and nontypical you have to look close to see the horns and he is still in velvet.

here is a question. i am seeing more people than usuall so do you think that with reduced numbers of rifle kills more guys are out hunting with a bow this year?

25-Nov-08
Mr Wapiti, i talked to a couple guys around the area i am hunting, right off the arrowrock reservoir road, and they all talked about how surprising how many hunters there are.

I'm going to start following you, you must be a deer magnet! ha!

I'm heading back out tomorrow with my old man. Are the deer hanging out in the snow much? or are they just dropping below the snowline?

25-Nov-08
Ehiztari said, "I was up in and above the snow line mid way up the Middle Fork."

Where do you consider mid-way up the Middle Fork?

Just curious. My extended family always camps/hunts the area betwee Breadwinner Creek and Roaring River. You anywhere between those two?

The Old Sarge

25-Nov-08
as i said before i am at about 5000 ft. But i think it is the migration path that matters more than the altitude. But then again one of my other favorite spots is barren this year.

25-Nov-08
went out this evening with the boy. saw tons of deer in farmers back yards on the way up the hill, but none actually on the hill. go figure.

26-Nov-08
Hey Sarge, I hunted in between Logging Gulch and where the N. Fork dumps in. I guess that isn't quite midway up but after driving that road it sure feels like it takes forever to get there.

26-Nov-08
lol If the road is as bad as I suspect, it seems like a trip to the moon would be easier. :0)

BTW, half-way should be somewhere around Repeat Creek, shouldn't it?

27-Nov-08
I started the year really low where I usually hunt, seen alot of does and more people than usual. I changed areas and went as high as I could and started to get into deer, elk and bear & wolf tracks, but atleast I am into them now. I wish I would of figured it out two weeks ago. And I am still seeing trucks and every draw and ridge I drive by. Why more people and pressure this year?

27-Nov-08
Not that many people took deer during rifle season and its easy access. Have fun and join the fun.LOL

27-Nov-08

IdahoElkFever's embedded Photo
IdahoElkFever's embedded Photo
well judging yardage on deer in the steep open country is tough. (here comes another miss story)

my parents are in town for Thanksgiving, so i took my dad hunting with me yesterday to get some help pushing the brush. We hike up the huge hill, across the long ridge, glassed ton and tons of awesome area and didnt see a thing, ran into another hunter who like us had not see many deer. As we were starting to tuck or tail and head back down the hill to the truck, we decided to each descend on parallel ridges, just as my dad got 100yrds down the ridge, i notice a deer watching him from the ridge top that i was heading down. buzzed dad on the radio and got him to walk in circle as a decoy while i snuck around behind. once i got 80yrds behind her dad whistled and just like magic it worked, she turned and walked straight up the path i was crouched on offering no shot as she saw me at 18yds and bolted.

I stood and watched her run thinking it was over, but noises heading my way caused me to hit the deck again as i saw 8 more deer heading my way. crouched out in the open like a retard again i hunched over and got as low as i could. a doe spotted me at 15yrds and bolted i stood up and drew as they all started running and gave that "pathetic sounding deer grunt" that you see the hunters on TV do, and magically they all stopped broadside to me, i quickly picked the biggest deer, suddenly noticing the antlers, my heart began to race, but looking through my peep sight and pins, is a really bad time to judge yardage. I picked 60yrds and the buck laughed as they bolted from 70yrds as my arrow quickly vanished into the brush at his knee level. Left to right was perfect, elevation not even close, shot looked even worse because I aimed low to compensate for the down hill shot.

Now as i stood watching 8 deer flying away, i was smiling and screaming inside. So happy to finally get into a hunting situation but disappointed in my shot placement. I stood there incoherently as i replayed the shot over and over in my mind. Only to be brought back to reality as a voice came over the walkie talkie " you've got 2 more coming". i crouched and move just behind a 2ft tall bush. i saw the deer coming toward me from about 60yrds out, the split and the doe headed below me, spotted me and busted back to the other deer who was heading almost straight toward me, thats when i noticed the 4x4 rack he was sporting. i havnt learned how to judge a mule deers rack yet but his spread was just out side his outstretched ears. He had me pinned staring me down at 25yrds for about 3 mins while my undrawn bow was shaking like a rag doll. Finally he decided he didnt like me but he wasnt spooked and turn and quartered away looking for his doe, as he turned his head i drew, sending both of them bolting above and across me, i gave that pathetic buck grunt again and he stopped perfectly broadside up hill from me. I quickly guessed 40yrds, placed the pin right behind his shoulder and released. My frustration exploded as i watched my air zip just over his back. I watched in awe as the big buck (to me) bounded away.

I learned a lot yesterday. A awesomely painful, memory haunting experience, that will not be forgotten. My first year hunting high country mule deer was awesome! Thank you mule deer veterans for the advice and help offered! Appreciated greatly.

Two things learned this year. First, need to learn a deers body size and different yardages, never drawn my bow at a deer before. Second, need to practice that steep open country yardage judging. Hopefully next year I will have stories of glory!

Christmas List: 1. Deer 3D target 2. Rangefinder

Hope you guys enjoyed the long winded, no deer on the ground story.

28-Nov-08
sorry you missed. An angle compensating range finder is pricless. open country is the hardest to judge yardage in the heat of things. big mule deer are the hardest animal to shoot in the sage(IMHO)

2 more days :) go try again

28-Nov-08
i have just been informed that using radios while hunting deer is illegal? or is it unethical? Please someone let me know if i screwed up!! I do not want to break the law and would be disappointed in myself if I was acting unethically! I have no problem with getting chewed out, just let me know exactly what the law states, as i was unaware of this!??

28-Nov-08
Mr. Wapiti, wish i could go those 2 more days now that i know where that group of deer hangs out! yah pretty much been sick to my stomach after missing those 2 shots. up until that point i had been shooting everyday on my lunch break at the Nampa Bow Chiefs outdoor range. flat lander shooting is way different...defiantly going to be hitting up multiple 3D Shoots this year!!

28-Nov-08
IdahoElkFever:

I've heard this before, too, but have never seen any code section or regulation on point.

If anyone else has evidence of this "no radios" rule, it would serve us all well to educate us - not that any of us would ever do such a thing, except, apparently, IdahoElkFever :)

28-Nov-08
haha, thanks! Yah i have received a couple PM's no body has seen anything in print on this regulation. It sounds like it is an ethical decision. Also P&Y will not accept bucks harvested with the use of radios, im sure a lot of people have lied on that application! But I'm no trophy hunter so I'm not worried about that.

so ethically, i am going to drop the walkie-talkie talk when we get into deer and play it by the ethical book.

but if you ask me, where i hunt you need every advantage you can get! Super jumpy deer, never seem to bed down, hunters all over the place. but honestly we could have pulled the hunt off without the walkie talkies, they really made no differnce in the hunt, plus they dont help me guess yardage!!! :)

28-Nov-08
so now here is the question. are radios unethical? how about binos? rangefinders? atvs? fast shooting bows?

28-Nov-08
good question! i feel a debate starting possibly. ha

i personally do not view any of those items as unethical, because none of them actually help you cheat when it comes time to put the sharp pointy stick into the animal, they may help you get closer, but they obviously don't help when your at full draw. At a 14% success rate it doesn't appear we have the upper hand on the animals. Even with all of our electronics.

my radio sure didn't help me as I sailed my arrow just over that bucks back.

28-Nov-08
Good point Mr Wapiti. I think a rangefinder is every bit, if not more, of an advantage as radios. Shall we wax philosophical about the issues? Nah, I say we let it be.

28-Nov-08
Took a friend out this morning and he arrowed his first archery deer. We saw several deer and I saw a wall hanger buck at about 1000 yards. He is going untouched for the season I am quite sure. Maybe next year he will be back.

28-Nov-08
you still have to know how to use the equiptment to make it help you. just because you have a radio doesn't mean that you will kill a deer. JMHO

28-Nov-08
The radios work. How do you think I get mine. MP3 player with Uncle Ted giving me advice with Cat Scratch Fever playing works great.LOL

28-Nov-08
I saw two different bucks; miles apart today that were hot on does- the rut is continuing...

29-Nov-08
Whys are there so many people? Walkie-talkies, rangefinders, atv's....make it easy and people will follow.

04-Dec-08
Ok so more people this year but i only know of 2 deer that were shot during this hunt and 2 so far in the 39-3 hunt. Was there more or was it an all around bad year?

so apparently all of the walkie talkies, rangefinders, and atv's didn't make it that much easier :)

04-Dec-08
My heat seeking missile missed its mark, too.

05-Dec-08
yah i talked to some hunters whos camp got 2 does, but that was the only meat i saw or heard hanging. Apparently all the hunters were talking about how we needed some good ol' snow weather. guys i talked to spoke of 1.5 feet of snow pushing big boys down within easy range and spoke of playing ping pong with hunters and deer from ridge to ridge. maybe next year i will get to break out the snow camo.

05-Dec-08
I was up there for the opening of "any weapon" deer season and we got snow three different days ... including the opener. From 5,000 ft on up there was several inches and it didn't make any difference whatsoever. There still were not anywhere near the numbers there usually are. Same with elk. There's a lot more at play here than snow and weather.

The Old Sarge

05-Dec-08
I did not make it over to the other side of 39 this year. We stayed on this side this year. I know of 4 deer taken by people in Emmett. I also know 2 people with the Ada county hunt and they said they are seeing a lot of deer. They said the deer they are seeing are all bunched together. OS is correct in that there are many factors other then snow involved. I heard there was a lot of deer out behind Shadow Valley Golf Course on Hwy. 55, but never checked it out.

05-Dec-08
interesting that will all the people that are known to people and the total from both these hunts is up to 10.

05-Dec-08
the bucks are no longer with the does here; and there are plenty of does...

06-Dec-08
"so apparently all of the walkie talkies, rangefinders, and atv's didn't make it that much easier"

It certainly makes it easier, which attracts people to the sport. But if there isn't any deer to shoot because lack of weather, it doesn't do much good.

I know of 4 bucks killed.

06-Dec-08
well did you forget to include compound bows? Lack of weather?? well that(snow) would make things easier too.

on the average day out i saw 150 deer, the average guy would be happy with most any deer. a few guys look for the big ones and i saw at least one that was a good buck(over p&y minimum) every day. the deer were there just took a little to find them.

lots of deer to shoot. people looking in wrong places. so with all the gadgets if you don't have the ability to find deer then they do no good.

so the magic number is now to 14 this actually will be interesting to see the harvest data of this next year. unfortunatly i don't think that they break this down to this hunt specifically.

06-Dec-08
By all means, Mr. Wapiti ... don't offer any hints as to general location where you saw 150 deer per day ... on average.

I have not doubt the deer and elk are still around ... somewhere. They just aren't/weren't where we've found them for more than 50 years.

06-Dec-08
I don't know anyone who saw 150 deer per day, except for you. The harvest numbers speaks for itself that the deer were not around as in past years.

By the way, yes I did mention weather in my previous post.

06-Dec-08
The guys i hunt with saw that many too :)

It is the weather that plays more on the harvest rates than the atv's or the rangfinders or radios. the deeper the snow the more concentrated the deer the easier they are to hunt.

my point is that these really don't make the hunt easier to any extreme. Atv gets you there a little faster than a truck, rnagefinder, you have to be close to make that work for you, and the radios are only effective if you can get someone close, and they still have to close the deal.

OS in 50 years you never had a year that it didn't snow?

07-Dec-08
I know that. But the ATVs, rangefinders, and all the stuff DOES make it easier, thus increases the hunter participation rate.

Make everyone hunt with a spear and see what happens to the participation rate. My point exactly.

Later.

07-Dec-08
If they'd make a unit 40 general spear hunt I'd be IN.

07-Dec-08
"OS in 50 years you never had a year that it didn't snow?"

Lots of those years it didn't snow. This year it DID, and it didn't help at all. But what's that got to do with the discussion? Snow or no snow, whatever year you want to single out from my 50, this was by far the worst of the lot when it came to numbers of deer and elk spotted and killed by our entire hunting party ... which, BTW, totals more than 20 licensed hunters and another 8 along for the fun.

And, no, we do not all hunt together or even all at the same time. We hunt in small groups from as low as Breadwinner Creek to as high as Granite Creek/Granit Mt ans sometimes Swanholm.

Most everybody comes and goes as their time allows. We set up camp a few days before deer season opens and we leave right after elk season closes.

You still haven't offered even a hint as to the general vacinity of where you saw so many deer per day.

The Old Sarge

09-Dec-08
My Son and I went out middle fork way a few times for full days during the late Nov 39 archery season. Saw very few deer. Unbelievable.

09-Dec-08
Mr. Wapiti,

Congrats on your deer, that is an exceptional buck! I noticed on this thread that some people want to know the "general location" you were in. Please don't tell them. I appreciate all of the homework, time and money you spent finding that area, you deserve to hunt it by yourself until someone else does their homework and finds it on their own like you did.

09-Dec-08
Mr. Wapiti, I also seen plenty of deer. Don't give it up. Most good bowhunters would not and should not give up there spot because loose lips sink ships !!!!

10-Dec-08
Jeez, guys. I was not looking for anybody's "spot" or asking anybody to do my homework for me.

But when literally hundreds of hunters have combed GMU 39 from early Oct to the end of Nov and have seen very, very few animals ... then along comes someone that claims to have seen 150 per day???

Would a general vacinity location really be giving too much away? Be serious.

10-Dec-08
.... besides, who here really thinks I was looking for a new place to hunt? lol Our camp has been a family tradition since the early 30's. We'd not give it up so cheaply. :0)

10-Dec-08
Oh come on Tad. Give up the coordinates GPS preferably. So we can all be out there next year. Dont be so stingy.LOL

I am sure no one will be there.

10-Dec-08
Old Sarge, It looks to me like you are/were looking for someone's spot or trying to take a look at someone's homework. Here are a few things you have posted in this thread that led me to belive this.

Where do you consider mid-way up the Middle Fork?

BTW, half-way should be somewhere around Repeat Creek, shouldn't it?

By all means, Mr. Wapiti ... don't offer any hints as to general location where you saw 150 deer per day ... on average.

You still haven't offered even a hint as to the general vacinity of where you saw so many deer per day

... then along comes someone that claims to have seen 150 per day???

I have known Mr. Wapiti for a long time and if he said he seen 150 deer a day, that is what he seen. He is not the only hunter who seen that many deer per day. If he was to mention the vacinity, general location, mid-way point or creek name, you asked for do you think he would have company next time? I do. How how many deer did you see per day in the late season archery hunt? I did not say you were going to give up your camp for your hunt (archery?) But, When I see those comments It looks to me like you are looking for somebody elses spot.

10-Dec-08
First off, great job on a fine buck Tadd.

I haven't posted on here in a while but do lurk...

For those that don't know Tadd, he would make a horrible mountain man. He doesn't spin yarn very well...If you don't know what that statement means, do a search...

I hunt a long way away from Tadd and was seeing over 100 deer a day. I did not harvest on the late hunt as my tag was already punched, but did take 2 different guys out which gave them about 6 different shot opportunities. There was more traffic than I have seen along the roads than in past years, but found that hiking back in a ways broke me away from the crowds.

In about every GOOD late season spot that I know of, ATV's would not do you any good. If I am having a hard time standing on my feet without tipping over, aint no way in heck I will try to drive my ATV there.

As far as radios, I don't see where there would be any advantage getting into bow range with a bunch of jibber jabber going on...

I believe that there were more people staying close to home as gas prices were still high when the season started.

It might be wise to rethink comments about advantages also. Especially if there is no proof. Its comments like that which will lead to us losing even more! Thanks for the help....

Just like the snows concentrate the deer, lack of money concentrates the hunters....

10-Dec-08
Pass the popcorn.

10-Dec-08
Welcome to middle earth.....

10-Dec-08
Ok, I can't stand it any longer. I'll spill it. Tad was hunting 255 miles from Boise. But along the way, you have to turn right, then straight, then left, the left again, straight, right, straight, left and left until finally cresting, parking and walking for about 1/2 mile.

Sorry Tad. I couldn't stop myself.

All them Middle Fork deer must have been pretty far off the road because my 3-yr-old and I didn't get very far off (about 100 yards is all) and we only saw a handful. Ok, well, at least a few hundred yards maybe. :)

10-Dec-08
If you would have had a walkie talkie and a rangefinder, you would have seen alot more......

10-Dec-08
"lack of money concentrates hunters" is a pretty neat quote. I don't know what to do with it, but it does sound pretty neat.

I saw lots of does, all hanging out in farmers' back yards. No, not fields- actual back yards. Never did see a buck while I had my son out during the late season, but we only went out a couple times.

anyone heard how the late unit 55 season did? Thumper? You out there?

11-Dec-08
Brock, you've taken a lot of my comment completely out of context. At least one f them was not even directed at Mr Wapiti or on the subject at hand. Hence, you got my intention all wrong.

Some of you guys are making some pretty big ASSumptions.

11-Dec-08

11-Dec-08
Old Sarge, I understand exactly what you said, you were trying to figure out where Mr. Wapiti was hunting. That is fact, you asked those questions. I did not mean to offend you, but if you are offended by my statements maybe you should spend some time doing your own homework.

11-Dec-08
Captains log- star date 121108- hunters have infiltrated the 39th sector armed with walkie talkies, range finders and atv's. There is impending doom for the creatures of the planet. Hopefully the remaining 150 will not be found.

Will the borg take over the planet. The only hope is by staying quiet as the collective actively interogates the federation......Stay tuned......

11-Dec-08
Uh oh someone has mistaken "THE OLD SARGE" for "SARGE". The "OLD SARGE" spends the entire rifle season in 39 Brock and has for many moons. Come on guys let's just drop it. There is plenty of deer out there for all of us. I talked to a guy tonight in our winter league who lost a big buck and his friend shot a 22" 3x4. Also one other club member harvested a 2x3. It was a funky year, but still I know of several harvests. Blame it all on the wolf and let it go. That or go join Elkcrazy on planet NUTS!!!

12-Dec-08
Mt.Man,

I'm done with it. The last thing I would want to do is be stuck on planet Nuts.. Would I then be a "techy" and not a "trecky" ?

12-Dec-08
"Old Sarge, I understand exactly what you said, you were trying to figure out where Mr. Wapiti was hunting. That is fact, you asked those questions. I did not mean to offend you, but if you are offended by my statements maybe you should spend some time doing your own homework."

There you go again. Two more assumptions.

Assumption #1 is that you have the facts when you do not.

Assumption #2 is that I didn't do my homework and instead want to pick somebody else's brain for what their homework provided them.

As I've said before. I'm not looking for any place to hunt. I'm quite satisfied with the one I've been hunting on the Middle Fork since before you or Mr Wapiti were born. (Now THAT'S some homework, wouldn't you say?) All I asked of Mr Wapiti is a general idea of where he was seeing hundreds of deer when hundreds of other hunters ... good hunters, with far more experience/years under their belts than you or Mr Wapiti ... were finding almost none.

A "general idea" is something like "between Breadwinner Creek and Granite Mt." (Do you have any idea at all how much terretory that is?) But, if that's too specific for some of you, then I'd suggest you refrain form discussing hunting areas at all. Maybe telling us that you saw some deer in Unit 39 is too specific. Heaven forbid! Another 1,000 hunters might read it and show up in the unit next year! Oh! The horror!

Offended? Hardly. It seems the offense is taken only by you and a few others. Offense at a harmless, if misunderstood, request. Offense that leads to incorrect assumptions.

12-Dec-08
My Bad.. I'm Sorry. you are an expert on this. I just read what you posted.

12-Dec-08
Can anyone here help me contact Mr Tadd Sherman? He left his range finder in our helecopter; and we want to return it.

12-Dec-08
OK guys thanks to those of you that know me well and have made comments i was down in Virginia on a bear hunt and just got home. i would explain it here but WOW what a trip. to much to explain here.

OK Old sarge. general area i was in 39. close as you get. Grab a bow and hunt then you know what will go on during a bow season not rifle. :)

The age thing i am just offended at. you know there are some that do, some that can, and some that try but never will? I have a lot of friends that excel in many different areas of hunting that when they tell me something it is to help. I appreciate that and learn. I have hunted with some great folks and hope to hunt with a few more but my age has noting to do with experience.

Honestly when was the last time you hunted with a bow?

you know we get along just fine and ou would be welcome at my fire but i really have to agree with these guys, your digging, on a national forum. if you think i am that dumb then well your wrong. :)

I have had years where finding deer takes a bit. this year it worked and i found a lot. If you don't believe me that is fine. just say it don't beat around the bush.

Mt Man i know you mean well but really not your argument. :) thanks for trying to keep the peace.

Elkcrazy well..... they don't call you crazy for nothing. :)

12-Dec-08
wHATAUMEAN "KEEP THE PEACE"! ! !

Not with this statement: " Uh oh someone has mistaken "THE OLD SARGE" for "SARGE"." How can one ever mistake The Old Sarge for Sarge. Sarge is young and handsome. The Old Sarge is . . . .well you all know the truth.

Lets get this straight, I have never, ever asked for anyones Honey Hole location. I will admit, however, that I hinted and hinted for one of you to take me under your wing and invite me to share your elk camp during archery season. Even though there have never been any takers, (finally found out that most do not like women in camp, or that I stink) I still like the ribbing and commradeship that this site provides.

:^)

Opps! ! ! "found out that most do not like women in camp" I was thinking of my Bride, Major Mom, not me. I could just see that one coming. There are too many great guys on this thread that would never, ever let a slip like that go unanswered. LOL

Sarge

12-Dec-08
Oh Yah, Tad! Where did you say you saw those deer? I don't think anyone asked you that yet, have they? It may be next year, but very soon you all will have to put up with me again as a Resident. Poor you.

Sarge

12-Dec-08
Sarge,

The reason Mt. Man posted that is because I thought you were Sarge (from california) not Old Sarge. He did not mean anything bad by that comment, it was directed at me, then I edited what I orginally said before most people read it. If that ruffled your feathers that is my fault not Mt. Man. He was just having a good laugh at my mistake.

You say that you didn't ask anyones "honey hole" you asked: By all means, Mr. Wapiti ... don't offer any hints as to general location where you saw 150 deer per day ... on average.

You still haven't offered even a hint as to the general vacinity of where you saw so many deer per day

Anyone else who read this thread can make their own "ASSumption" (as you put it)

There is just one last question you avoid:

When was the last time you hunted with your bow?

12-Dec-08
Good God Brock. You got it all screwed up again. This "IS" the Sarge from California. I was kidding with Mt.Man. He is a friend and respected (at least by me) as a good hunter and sportsman. I know both Tad and Ken, and I would always share a place at the campfire with either of them. Me thinks you are reading too much into this thread. And you certainly are mistaking which Sarge is which Sarge. Like I said, I am the young good looking one and the other one is . . . well, lets just say, less than PlayBoy statue.

Just incase your last questions "ARE" directed at me (for which I would not know why?) I have never hunted unit 39 late season because it is too damn cold up there in Idaho (normally, that is) Also, the last time I hunted with my bow was the last week of Elk Season up in Unit 25. I have not touched my rifles since 1994 when I was introduced to Archery by many on this site. Even worked with a couple of the local clubs (NBC, etc.) as has "The Old Sarge".

:^) (that is a smilely thingy ma gig.)

Sarge (In California) not the "OLD one.

12-Dec-08
My GOD... I will never keep it straight.

12-Dec-08
I think I'm gonna change my name to "The New Sarge"

Just for giggles.

12-Dec-08
"Mt Man i know you mean well but really not your argument. :) thanks for trying to keep the peace."

My comments were not for you either, they were to bearcrazy,,,,AKA brock-id. I could care less about the "argument".

12-Dec-08
"OK Old sarge. general area i was in 39. close as you get. Grab a bow and hunt then you know what will go on during a bow season not rifle. :)"

Another erroneous assumption. It's officially an "any weapon"... not "rifle season". Did anybody tell you I don't hunt with a bow?

"There is just one last question you avoid: When was the last time you hunted with your bow?" When have I ever avoided that question? When was I even asked that question, before now? Point out any question you can find that was put to me that I did not answer.

The last time I hunted with a bow was during the recent "any weapon" B-tag elk season in Unit 39. It ran from Nov 1 thru Nov 9. Did you too assume I only hunt with a rifle because someone mistakenly called it "rifle season"? What other assumptions are you clinging to?

13-Dec-08
You guys are really bored, aren't you?

...and still 4 months til turkey/bear season.

What we need here is a cyber-beertender. H4E! Where are you when we need you!?!

13-Dec-08
Mt Man in that case you put your nose into someone elses busniess..... again. suprise.

Old sarge it really seams that you are not only questioning the numbers but wanting to know where(general area) that i hunt. i usually don''t hunt in one spot, i generally hunt in about 4-5 diferent areas depending on the conditions. If that is not so then this is over if it is we can discuss this further :)

None of us know what you carry into the woods or even why. But most would assume, which could be our bad, that you wouldn't choose to carry a bow for the shortest rifle elk season in the state.

13-Dec-08
Instead of assuming, why not ask? If you really want to know.

13-Dec-08
why not just come out and say you don't believe me?

13-Dec-08
Mr Wapiti,

This is getting old, no matter what you point out to the "old Sarge" he will try to spin it another way. He is an expert, if you don't belive me, look over other threads along with this one and make your own determination. I have recieved 3 pm's on this thread and two of them said the same thing, "he likes to see his name in most of the threads and is a self proclaimed expert". Regardless of other opinions, to each their own. My last PM said "it's like trying to teach a mule to dance, it annoys the mule and wastes your time". I have decided not to waste any more time on this thread, there is nothing that can come out of it that is positive, and the negative can only hurt. Old Sarge, If you want to continue this please PM me.

13-Dec-08
"why not just come out and say you don't believe me?"

Why would you assume I don't believe you? I was just curious as to what GENERAL AREA you’ve seen hundreds of deer when hundreds of other hunters were seeing so few. If you wish to think I was trying to weasel your hunting spot out of you, feel free to think so. That does not make it true. If you wish to think I disbelieve you, do that too. But just because you believe it does not make it a fact.

Brock, I'm not the one spinning anything. You make erroneous assumptions and proclaim to know my intentions based, in very large part, on those erroneous assumptions. Then you want to hold my feet to the fire and accuse me of spinning when I try to correct your errors. Why would you try to hold me responsible for assumptions and/or judgments that you make? Why can't you just read what I post and take it for what it is ... instead of spinning it yourself?

If you find this whole thing getting tedious (I know I sure do), then stop making erroneous assumptions about me and what I post and stop accusing me of things I’ve not done. Stop pretending to know my motives without even asking me what they are. As tedious as it has become, I'm certainly not going to allow you to make judgments about me without challenging the ones that are dead wrong. You’re the one that’s made this personal.

13-Dec-08
Your a bigger peice of work than i ever thought.

13-Dec-08
This is exactly why I'm so glad I no longer live in the treasure valley and hunt the surrounding areas, you guys kill me, spending all this time over spots in unit 39, who hunts where and with what weapon. Elk Crazy you still have a great sense of humor, I got on to see how the hunt went and who socred, and wow is all I can say.

13-Dec-08

nijimasu's embedded Photo
nijimasu's embedded Photo
for anyone still interested in deer -

I ran into 5 BIG 4X4s (almost literally- they jumped right in front of my truck)on my way to kill a Christmas tree this afternoon- had countless does in the same vicinity on the way back after dark. These were all in the triangle.

13-Dec-08
Any takers on TCU taking the Bronco's in the "P" Bowl?

14-Dec-08
I'll take some of that action Gene, BSU is going to show the Mountain West Conferense that if were go there, were takin it over!!!

How much??

14-Dec-08
So now I'm a "piece of work" huh? Ok. Keep making your assumptions and judgements. I'll just keep posting what I mean and you feel free to "interpret" it anyway you decide and attribute your interpretation to back to me. Sound fair?

14-Dec-08
For the record OS, I understood what you were looking for.....middle fork drainage,trinities,north fork, etc. All are pretty general but would have answered your question. It was also up to Tad to answer any way that he wanted...

and...... (sorry Brock) but it really wasn't up to you at all to even get into it, wasn't your spot to answer.

OK, I'm off to ride my snowmobile in this new white stuff. If you all can't find something else to do then go ahead and flame me :)

14-Dec-08
Old Sarge i asked you specifically if that was it. From the way you write it reads that you want to know the general area and that you don't believe that i saw that many deer. i quote

"I asked of Mr Wapiti is a general idea of where he was seeing hundreds of deer when hundreds of other hunters ... good hunters, with far more experience/years under their belts than you or Mr Wapiti ... were finding almost none."

Brock i think you accomplished your mission, the mule is dancing. you can relax now.

14-Dec-08
I didn't know you could dance, Tad.

14-Dec-08

Doug Schnider's embedded Photo
Doug Schnider's embedded Photo
I have hunted the late hunt in 39 since 1989. Lots of good memeries, like hunting it till the 16th of December. Fish and game has been taking more days from us and now its back to back with the rifle season. Thats crap. give us back our hunt. Yes i email fish and game. will you? please. Brock that you. ?

14-Dec-08
I will keep hunting it untill they take it away from us.

14-Dec-08
Archery now falls where "rifle" season used to fall, so remember, they took it from rifle hunters to give it to archers.

14-Dec-08
TOS we pay an additional fee to hunt with a bow; and I am just astonished that the gun hunters would and could take away hunting time from us.

Who could have predicted that would happen????

15-Dec-08
lol You mean the way "we" took it away from "them"?

15-Dec-08
Hunters taking opportunity from other hunters....This is a new concept to me...All this time i thought the F&G restructured seaons in an attempt to sustain a huntable resource....I learn something new on here every day...SOOOOooo how do i go about takin' some more hunting days from my rifle (any weapon) buddies.....= ^)

15-Dec-08
Old sarge i dont think your on board. We are all hunters, so lets stick together.

16-Dec-08
Anyone hunting unit 55 ? Heading down this week for one last try... My buddy tells me the place is loaded with Utah and 2C (canyon county) plates and lots of spooked deer.....

16-Dec-08
So -with this new cut back in spending; is the fish and game still trying to build a new building? Hey with new buildings come new ideas!

I am sure with a new building; the deer and elk numbers will increase; and the wolves will migrate to florida.

Or perhaps I should start telling little kids that Santa can't make it as his reindeer were eaten by the wolves...

Holiday decisions !!

The elk season is still on up here; and the deer season too. Squeeky snow though :)

16-Dec-08
Doug Schnider posting........will wonders never cease?? LOL

Didn't even know you were still in the country :)

16-Dec-08
"Old sarge i dont think your on board. We are all hunters, so lets stick together."

Then you'd be incorrect. I have been for all hunters and for all hunters sticking together all my life. My comment was aimed at Elfking's comment, "... I am just astonished that the gun hunters would and could take away hunting time from us." It's THAT sort of comment and attitude that divides, not the humor I attempted.

However, anybody that has been around long enough knows that as archery-only seasons kicked in and then became longer and more wide-spread, the "rifle" seasons got shorter. In some units, some seasons even got moved out of the prime time, i.e. the rut, or went away entirely, and that slot was given to archers. It was necessary, according to F&G. You can only kill so many animals in a year, etc., etc. Doesn't matter by what method they're killed. So when you put in a new archery season, some other season often has to change or go away.

Anybody that knocks one type of hunting or routinely places his own method above the others is contributing to the divide. I've never done either of those things. Ever.

17-Dec-08
Yes I'm still here, surviving too. What its been over 15 years hasn't it. Good to hear from you.

17-Dec-08
lol You mean the way "we" took it away from "them"?

is this sticking together.

17-Dec-08
Did you bother to read my response to your original comment to me on this?

17-Dec-08
I would venture to say that the rifle hunters originally took it away from the bowhunters.....since we are splitting hairs.......the stick flingers took it away from the spear throwers...who took it away from the stone throwers.....

Its nice to see that things are finally returning to normal.....

18-Dec-08
I'd say F&G and the Wolves are slowly taking opportunity away from everyone. In a couple years we'll be lucky to see 150 deer during the whole season, all hunters combined.

18-Dec-08
Talked to a client today that shot a nice heavy 4x5 at 27" and his friend shot a TOAD. 31" 4x4 out in the Blacks Creek Area on the 27th of Nov. He sent me a pic on my phone. I will try to get them on e-mail and post here.

18-Dec-08
The very first anti bowhunters were rifle hunters. They were worried that a season for bowhunters would alert the deer; and make them harder to hunt in rifle season.

So - technically - the rifle hunters threw the first rock.

Then too; we pay extra to hunt with a bow in Idaho; we pay for the bow seasons.

It was not rock throwers giving seasons to spear throwers giving seasons to bow hunters; giving seasons to rifle seasons.

It was market hunting and lack of controls by people that had no mind about game management that created the need for controls on hunting.

The idea of stopping uncontrolled hunting was a battle fought by Teddy Roosevelt. Conservation ( the wise use of our natural resources) was a concept brought forward by Aldo Leopold ( a bowhunter by the way).

When the first seasons were established; they were established around the use of guns; not bows.

Later; when bowhunting became popular; seasons for bowhunting were established...despite the outcry from rifle hunters.

I was at a fish and game meeting near Boise ( Don Clower era) and the complaint was made that: "all bowhunting should cease; as dead deer with arrows sticking out of them could be found everywhere". There was audible support from others at the meeting. I challenged the idea that any dead dear would not be eaten by coyotes; and that the man actually found even one deer with an arrow in it; and he shut up. But that was not that long ago that RIFLE hunters at this meeting made it plain that bowhunters were just not welcome in 'their' hunting grounds.

I believe very much in the importance of rifle hunting; I think it is integral to our youth to become familiar with the responsibilities of hunting; and the use of firearms.

I do hunt with a bow; you know a stick and string type design that goes back over 9000 years ... and I do not hope I can shoot an arrow over 300 feet per second; and I do not sit with 'bow' in hand: and hope that I get to 'squeeze the trigger' and "smoke" a deer or elk- with my bow.

I do believe - and time has proven; that the increased ease of shooting a bow; has been used to support the lack of effort needed to use a bow: ( I will cite that very statement by Lon Kuck to the antihunters in Hailey; when he was trying to outlaw bear baiting).

There are attempts after attempts to require testing to prove your accuracy with a bow before you can hunt with one ( see Alaska ); and yep; I do not see standing by a way of hunting that has existed for over 9000 years as wrong. I do see how the evolution of the "bow and arrow" is not only making bowhunting something- not requiring any devotion to the ideologies of bowhunting. That people are willing to give up seasons; and opprotunity......

Its a fact - a lot are willing to put down their bows- and 'go back' to rifle hunting... if there are not enough game animals to make for a bow hunt (see this thread).

I do not wish to be in the big tent - where as the number of people in the tent increases: to where the people that still hunt the 9000+ old way - are apt to be kicked out.

Nope; I do not believe that traditional bowhunters are welcome in the thought process of most 'bowhunters' of today.

And I do not want to be in a boat full of these people in our shark infested waters ( re: anti-hunters).

There are many people that like the ease of use of a compound or what ever they are called now ( cam bows?); and I have enjoyed hunting with them.

But once again- I would gladly buy a tag that allows me to bowhunt ONLY - in exchange for the retention of existing bow seasons.

That is the dividing line right there.

No matter what kind of bow you shoot; that is it. If your not willing to buy a bow tag for deer; and not be able to go out and hunt with a gun... or a bow tag for elk and not be able to hunt with a gun - if you just cannot see that as reasonable.... then your on the other side of line that makes it clear we are separate.

And don't blame that on traditional bowhunters - or on me. Its the 'one foot in one canoe' and 'one foot in another canoe'- people: that cannot make it across the stream of conflicts that we are facing.

And in so doing; are endangering both canoes.

I do think we need to be of one mind about protecting our game animals; and to stand as one against the wolf introduction; and as well the pompous attitude of the fish and game towards all hunters and fisherman in the state.

Yesterday I went with a bowhunter with un-punched tags; and we drove over 60 miles; through country we have always seen great numbers of game in. We drove to high overlooks; and walked to many overlooks; and after an all day effort we had seen more bighorn sheep than we saw deer ( we saw 9 deer) and no elk. Seems living on a rocky cliff is a defense against wolves.

Behind my cabin; where normally at this time of year there are from 100 to 300 or more elk; there are 65; two if which are fully racked bulls ( normally the big bulls stay up high).

WE need to stand up to the wolves; and the anti-hunters.

But we do not need to hold hands with crossbow season seekers or others that endanger the essence of bowhunting.

18-Dec-08
I can't believe this is still going! Hurry up 3D season or bear baiting. Give these folks some thing else to do.

18-Dec-08
I understand what you are saying Elfking. My statement was an attempt at sarcasm to an earlier post that was made. The laws that we have today are a result of market hunting, my comment was aimed at a couple hundred years before that, before market hunters even entered the west...

There have been some interesting comments throughout this whole thread that will do more to hurt us than help us. I think its time to start lurking again....Happy Holidays to everyone...........

18-Dec-08
Elkcrazy, If all the marketing hunting accessories don't provide an advantage to the hunter, then WHY do people buy them?

Radios: If I am stalking a buck and my buddy across the canyon is telling me what the buck is doing via radio, that is not an advantage?

Rangefinder: If I have a buck at 54 yards, and I am not sure if it is 50 or 60, but my rangefinder tells me it is 54 yards, that is not an advantage?

ATV: If I can take an ATV up an old washed out road that a pickup cannot access, that is not advantage?

There is an advantage to every single piece of equipment that is available to hunters. Period! Every year, each product improves, to provide a better advantage. Look at rangefinders for example, now they compensate for the downhill angle.

You can list everything from the quality of hunting boots to high power rifles as a huge advantage compared to those who hunted 50 years ago.

In my opinion, the biggest killer to archery is all the marketing BS (hunting shows, manufactures developing new products to make it easier, etc). The marketing is what attracts people to the sport. People think large numbers is good for the sport because we have a larger voice. I completely DISAGREE. Our archery seasons were so much better 25 years ago, when we had small numbers. The larger the number, the more restrictions.

18-Dec-08

geneinidaho's embedded Photo
Here maybe I can help put out the fire.

18-Dec-08
And yet the harvest rates stay the same. so much easier......lol

if i am not sure between 50 and 60 i would shoot for 55 and if it was 54 i would kill it ;) oh yea and if you can't tell the difference between the two you shouldn't be shooting that far. JMHO

now on the other side i AGREE that the marketing is not good for the sport. John your last paragraph hits the nail on the head.

One of the other problems we have here in Idaho is the "part timers" that discuss things with F&G that they may or maynot have a clue about. A few years ago i spend 3 months working with a commisioner trying to get him to believe that a comment made by a guy that never hunted antelope was just ignorant, the commisioner believed a guy that never hunted antelope. We almost lost a lot due to a comment from a guy that had "heard things"

Gene are you helping? :) LOL

18-Dec-08
All these advantages and the hunting is worse and harder. This has to take the cake......

I suggest you start doing some research and find out what the Pittman-Robertson act is all about....

18-Dec-08
Elkcrazy you are ignorant! i have a rangefinder, atv, compound bow, atv, sights, bionic knee, and really nice binos so i should be the most successfull bowhunter in the state!

you really don't get how easy it is with all these added devices. catch up with the times and maybe you will have some success! :)

18-Dec-08
I had to go back to the top of this thread to verify the title of it!

Larv

18-Dec-08
Wapiti, Harvest rates stay the same, but harvest numbers have increased how many fold?? How many elk were killed by bowhunters 30, 40, 50 years ago in Idaho? The elk calls that came on the market and the ease of calling in elk, must not of had anything to do with it. :)

Why do rifle hunters hunters use scopes on their guns? Does it make it easier, or do they just like packing around the added weight?

Elkcrazy, "All these advantages and the hunting is worse and harder"

How do figure that? Hunting is pretty good in my opinion.

Hey guys, if all this stuff does not add an advantage, WHY DO PEOPLE BUY IT, USE IT and PACK IT AROUND???????? Please answer that question.

Is it easier to swim with or without flippers??

19-Dec-08
"I don't know anyone who saw 150 deer per day, except for you. The harvest numbers speaks for itself that the deer were not around as in past years."

"Wapiti, Harvest rates stay the same, but harvest numbers have increased how many fold?? How many elk were killed by bowhunters 30, 40, 50 years ago in Idaho? The elk calls that came on the market and the ease of calling in elk, must not of had anything to do with it. :) "

"How do figure that? Hunting is pretty good in my opinion"

Depends on what opinion of yours one bases his decision on!!!!!

I give up...... Happy Holidays

19-Dec-08
I was referring to hunting in general. Today versus yesterday. This year in 39 was harder, no doubt.

Can you answer my question posted above??

Lemme guess, there is no advantage to high speed internet versus dial up, too. :)

19-Dec-08
john what were the elk numbers 30, 40 and 50 years ago compared to today? we have more elk than we did in those days as well. Harvest numbers have not gone up to the point that bowhunters are used as a managment tool.

put people in front of a tv and tell them how great a product is they will buy it. Sad but true.

19-Dec-08
So much for my post about the Late Unit 39 Hunt...ha.

Okay I will agree there is a slight advantage but if there was such an increased advantage shouldnt the success rate jump. I looked at the Idaho Fish & Game stats back to 2001 and there are not any big jumps in the success rates. So all of our rangefinders, atvs, fast shooting bows, sure dont seem to mean much at all! If anyone has data proving otherwise please post it. You can talk about the advantage all your want, but success rate data seems to be the proof. Correct or Incorrect?

* im with you on the marketing issue, im tired of running into morons in the woods with all the latest gadgets and gizmos, who's cameo looks neatly pressed and without stains, who dont have a clue about anything. BUT...im not such an "bowhunter" to not help give them advice to try and help them learn how to "really" bowhunt and help them experience a real bowhunt. Bowhunting its self, will decide who wants to true hunt or who just bought into the hype.

i'd be thrilled i can help some "marketing influenced" nuckle head experience what bowhunting is really about, just like someone did with me 14years ago. Im disappointed in this "against growing bowhunting numbers" attitude im hearing.

19-Dec-08
Tad, Sure, there were less elk 30 years ago, but if we had the calls and technology back then that we have today, more elk would have been killed.

Idahoelkfever, "Okay I will agree there is a slight advantage but if there was such an increased advantage shouldnt the success rate jump".

Your next statement pretty much answers that question.

"im tired of running into morons in the woods with all the latest gadgets and gizmos, who's cameo looks neatly pressed and without stains, who dont have a clue about anything."

As the number of hunters increase, so do these types of hunters, who couldn't kill an animal with a rifle during archery season. Thus, the harvest rate will stay the same. The gadgets will never make somoeone a better hunter, but it will help them kill an animal when the opportunity comes along.

You are tired of running into morons in the woods, but you are pro-growth for the sport? Sorry, but you can't have one without the other. My opionion only, but growth is not good. The resources can only allow so many people to play, thus restrictions become greater and greater.

Funny how nobody will answer my question. If the gadgets don't make it easier, then WHY DOES EVERYONE USE THEM???? Marketing gets people to buy the product, but if the product didn't work, people wouldn't continue to buy it, thus, companies would go belly up. Simple concept difficult for some to understand.

19-Dec-08
"Funny how nobody will answer my question. If the gadgets don't make it easier, then WHY DOES EVERYONE USE THEM???? "

I didn't answer because I agree that the "gadgets" DO tip the odds towards hunters and away from animals. That's exactly why most people employ all the "gadgets". Some, however, use them simply because someone told them they should. Marketing.

I also agree that "growth" in hunter numbers results in fewer opportunities down the road. Just look at the opportunities that have flown the coop since Idaho had only 750,000 residents.

19-Dec-08
mtnbikeit,

Funny how nobody will answer my question. If the gadgets don't make it easier, then WHY DOES EVERYONE USE THEM???? Marketing gets people to buy the product, but if the product didn't work, people wouldn't continue to buy it, thus, companies would go belly up. Simple concept difficult for some to understand.

I can say why I use some of the gadgets, I don't think the make it any easier, I think they improve my accuracy. (rangefinder, ACC Arrows,precision made broadheads) Vs. (no rangefinder, the straightest cedar arrows I could find, a broadhead that is not as sharp or straight as the my new ones or a bow I made myself.)

I believe there are trade offs when shooting a fast bow, I believe form has to be there to put that arrow where you want it. The arrow may go faster to help take out some of the guess work, But if I don't do the same thing as I did in practice, I will still miss or worse yet wound. These make me more acccurate, not have an easier hunt. Bottom line is I still have to do homework, scout, hang tree stands, put up blinds and use every bit of knowledge to try to get close enough for a shot. The marketing leads people to think that if they buy there brand of product you will have great success. Thats what they do, how they make a living, I think I can see through that. I hope I answered your question?

19-Dec-08
Do these so called gadgets make hunting easier or hunters better? Do they do either? That's debateable. The GPS might get them back to the truck easier but the rangefinder only helps if you have the skill to get close enough to use it. The same goes for newer bows and better arrows. If you can't get in close nothing is going to help you.

I've yet to see anything that will help me get up the hill to the deer yet. That's what I'm looking for. When that comes out let me know.

I've killed all my deer with my old slow bow and no range finder and my old Pentax 10x42's.

One thing we should be worried about is the rate at which our Deer and Elk are dissapearing instead of arguing about gadgets. What good are Gadgets going to be when we have nothing to chase?

19-Dec-08
Idahoelkfever

"Okay I will agree there is a slight advantage but if there was such an increased advantage shouldnt the success rate jump. I looked at the Idaho Fish & Game stats back to 2001 and there are not any big jumps in the success rates. So all of our rangefinders, atvs, fast shooting bows, sure dont seem to mean much at all! If anyone has data proving otherwise please post it. You can talk about the advantage all your want, but success rate data seems to be the proof. Correct or Incorrect?"

Respectfully it could be incorrect.

There is story about a statistician turned life insurance salesman. After a week; his boss called him into his office- and said he had surely bankrupted his company; as he had sold 100,000 million dollars of life insurance to men over the age of 95. The statistician turned life insurance salesman said in return: " don't worry boss; I checked the statistics; and less people over 95 die each year than under 95 !".

I think it is obvious that there have been things that increase the ability to get to having a dead deer- from an arrow wound- to tag.

But as advantages go up; there are things that effect the statistics - and make that less clear.

For instance 10% of 100 is 10. If there is a ten percent success rate; with 100 archers- there are 10 deer taken. With 1000 archers ( just to make a point) a ten percent success would be 100 deer taken. The success rate is the same; but the number of hunters that did not kill a deer was 90; and climbed to 900. One could say there certainly are a lot less successful hunters out there!

While modern bow advantages and atv's and range finders and other things go up in number; and the advantages serve some or most- there are other factors that do not... like more hunting pressure; more evasive actions by deer to avoid hunters; and changes in habitat; and weather....and of course an out of control wolf population.

This thread started to evolve; and its been interesting - a once terrific hunting area - where hundreds of deer a day could be seen.... now an area where few deer are seen by most.

Its something we are going to need experience to discuss....as it seems to be our future in Idaho.

20-Dec-08
And those crazy mountain bikers, too

20-Dec-08

20-Dec-08
Yeah, THEM! ROFL

20-Dec-08
good thing technology is welcome in some areas but in others it is considered unfare. Nice double standard :)

20-Dec-08

Would these be considered an unfair advantage?

21-Dec-08
Rangefinders, who would not want to take the guess work out of the yardage.Hell if you hit the mark everytime ( and we all know we DON'T)than you are one of a kind.I use one when the kritter lets me. And will use new technology to help me in the field.If it makes me better than why not. The worst thing you can do (in my opinion) is dust your bow off come archery season. Keep up on your skills to hunt, that means shoot shoot and shoot, and buy things that help you.Oh and i still would love to hunt 39 in December. Merry Christmas, fellow hunters.

21-Dec-08
I know a bunch of rifle hunters that would like to have their Unit 39 November season back. ;0)

21-Dec-08
Doesn't matter what technology you have. You still have to get close.

21-Dec-08
I know a bunch of archery hunters that would like to have the Trangle, 10 days of season that we lost recently, the gates open to the area behind hilltop, Ada county, acess off the Rocky Canyon Road, and a few other odds and ends back.

DDD

21-Dec-08
I hear that, DDD.

But you know what they say about "want" and "wish" and something about " ... in one hand ...". :0)

22-Dec-08
statistics are like a bikini.............. what they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.

23-Dec-08
Merry Christmas and or Happy Holidays Everyone!!

24-Dec-08
Wolverine, way to throw a pale of water on a perfectly good fire.

25-Dec-08
QZ

Tiz the season!!!

21-Jun-12
And now that I read this thread from the beginning to end... I know why the Idaho forum is so popular as of late :)

Nice Buck Tad!

In 2008 there were 1395 hunters in the 39 Archery season, 177 shot deer. One of them even saw around 150 deer a day, while other more experienced hunters saw far less :)

In 2011 there were 1607 hunters in the 39 Archery season, 187 shot deer. I know a guy who saw over 100 deer a day in 2011 as well :)

So Tad, since it's been years and this still has not been resolved, what general area were you hunting..? LMAO

Gene, we need to look into those site's for our glocks next time we head out downtown. Bring the gas too!

Oh BTW.. I just ordered a new rangefinder, with ARC. I should be covered for this coming winter in 55.

21-Jun-12
Been a while since I have seen this thread. Thought it got "buried"

21-Jun-12
Nick that is hilarious!! :) i still hunt the same spot, some years it has more some it has less, but that is why i have several :)

21-Jun-12
Near Repeat Creek or what? :)

21-Jun-12
Nick, since you drug it up ... and since so few seem to undestand (or even care to)...

The original comment about mid-way up the Middle Fork and the response about Repeat Creek went like this ...

ehiztary "I was up in and above the snow line mid way up the Middle Fork."

me "Where do you consider mid-way up the Middle Fork?"

ehiztary "Hey Sarge, I hunted in between Logging Gulch and where the N. Fork dumps in."

For the record ... and for those that chose to ignore it the first time ... the spot he's talking about isn't even on the Middle Fork. It's on the Boise River. The Middle Fork ends where the North Fork "dumps in". I was attmepting to point out that some people don't know the area as well as they think they do and often confuse things, especially with names and such.

Now someone please tell me ... and everyone else ... what all my posts mean. Again.

The Old Sarge

21-Jun-12
Nick are you really this bored over there? Be careful putting comments on a public forum.... ;-)

21-Jun-12
I am in tears.

21-Jun-12
What did ya do to make yourself cry?

21-Jun-12
Reminds me of a Randy Travis song, "Diggin' up bones"

21-Jun-12
Yea this is good for some laughs alright!!! "I'm diggin up bones, diggin up bones, exhuming things that are better left alone.........." HAHAHA

21-Jun-12
Nice to see you have such a well-developed sense of humor, Mr Wapiti. GFY.

21-Jun-12
Most all players of this thread are still around but not all

21-Jun-12

Elfking is always missed here.

OS apparently nothing :)

21-Jun-12
Is GFY an acronym for G-ood F-riend of Y-ours?

21-Jun-12
^ hahahahaha

21-Jun-12
Good For You.

Nothing what, Mr. Wapiti?

21-Jun-12
"Now someone please tell me ... and everyone else ... what all my posts mean. Again."

sorry that was a little abstract

btw glad it wasn't g-o f your....... LOL

22-Jun-12
Leave it to you to think of something like that.

22-Jun-12
You might not believe this but i have heard that a time or two on my life ;) LOL

• Sitka Gear