Bowsite.com on Facebook
  • Deerbuilder Food Plot Website
  • Trail Cam Photos
  • Bowsite.com Elk Section
  • Mathews Solocam
Summit Treestands Mathews Solocam Carbon Express Arrows Moultrie Game Cameras Sitka Gear LaCrosee Footwear 3RiversArchery
Whitetail Deer Section Elk Section Black, Brown, & Polar Bear Section Moose Section Mule Deer Section Sheep Section Bowfishing Section Mountain Goat Section Pronghorn Section Mountain Lion Section Wild Turkey Section Caribou Section Hogs & Exotics Section Small Game Forum Africa Section Food Plots on DeerBuilder.com Bowhunting / Archery Equipment

Bear Harvest

Main/Big Game Conferences
forum rules Registration
PRINTABLE VERSION

EMAIL TO A FRIEND

Messages posted to thread:
Brad Gehman 25-Nov-08
Rut-Nut 25-Nov-08
Brad Gehman 25-Nov-08
Jeff McCormick 25-Nov-08
Flatlander 25-Nov-08
Greybeard 25-Nov-08
Joe The Teacher 25-Nov-08
Rut Nut 26-Nov-08
Brad Gehman 26-Nov-08
Flatlander 26-Nov-08
rust4brains 26-Nov-08
Joe The Teacher 26-Nov-08
HerdManager 26-Nov-08
woodie 26-Nov-08
Paddyj 27-Nov-08
Bogey 27-Nov-08
Brad Gehman 27-Nov-08
Frank Empson 27-Nov-08
Flatlander 28-Nov-08
The Walking Dead 28-Nov-08

From: Brad Gehman ........ No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual ....... Date: 25-Nov-08

PENNSYLVANIA BEAR HUNTERS HAVE A FINE OPENING DAY

HARRISBURG - Pennsylvania Game Commission officials today announced that hunters started the 2008 black bear season by taking a preliminary harvest of slightly more than 1,700 black bears in 50 counties.

Game Commission employees processed 1,725 bears at the agency's check stations on the opening day of the three-day statewide bear season. The 2008 first-day preliminary harvest compares with 1,005 in 2007; 1,461 in 2006; 2,026 in 2005; 1,573 in 2004; 1,454 in 2003;1,348 2002; 1,812 in 2001; and 1,691 in 2000.

“The first day harvest is the third highest opening day harvest recorded for Pennsylvania,” said Mark Ternent, Game Commission bear biologist. “Weather cooperated, there was some snow on the ground and hunters appear to have had a fine day afield for the opener. Our season is off to a good start.”

The top 10 bears processed at check stations on Monday all had estimated live weights that exceeded 580 pounds. Ray E. Barrick, of McAlisterville, harvested the largest bear, which was a male that weighed in at 691 pounds (estimated live weight). The bear was taken in Todd Township, Huntingdon County, at 1 p.m.

Other large bears included: a 680-pound male taken by Brian R. Clark Jr., of Olanta, in Pike Township, Clearfield County, at 2:30 p.m.; a 651-pound male taken by Ryan M. Miller, of Pittston, in Bear Creek Township, Luzerne County, at 9:50 a.m.; a 650-pound male taken by Walter Rupnik, of Breinigsville, in Green Township, Pike County, at 9:30 a.m.; and 611-pound male taken by Matthew N. Shirk, of East Earl, in Union Township, Huntingdon County, at 10:30 a.m..

The preliminary first-day bear harvest by Wildlife Management Unit was as follows: WMU 1A, 14 (2 in 2007); WMU 1B, 40 (17); WMA 2A, 1 (1); WMU 2C, 145 (120); WMU 2D, 97 (44); WMU 2E, 63 (36); WMU 2F, 152 (134); WMU 2G, 363 (257); WMU 3A, 169 (88); WMU 3B, 186 (54); WMU 3C, 42 (18); WMU 3D, 123 (48); WMU 4A, 85 (53); WMU 4B, 20 (19); WMU 4C, 41 (22); WMU 4D, 174 (83); WMU 4E, 9 (9); and WMU 5C, 1 (0).

The top bear harvest county in the state after the first day of season was Potter with 152 (54 in 2007), followed by Lycoming, 135 (54); Tioga, 124 (63); McKean, 95 (38); and Clearfield and Huntingdon, both with 67.

County harvests by region for the opening day, followed by the opening day 2007 preliminary harvest in parentheses, are:

Northwest: Venango, 44 (14); Clarion, 36 (14); Warren, 34 (51); Jefferson, 33 (22); Forest, 31 (38); Crawford, 19 (1); Erie, 6 (1); Butler, 5 (5); and Mercer, 3 (0).

Southwest: Somerset, 64 (56); Armstrong, 37 (21); Indiana, 37 (16); Westmoreland, 30 (19); Fayette, 28 (35); Cambria, 20 (4); and Beaver, 2 (0).

Northcentral: Potter, 152 (54); Lycoming, 135 (54); Tioga, 124 (63); McKean, 95 (38); Clearfield, 67 (49); Clinton, 55 (78); Elk, 48 (38); Centre, 47 (27); Cameron, 26 (57); and Union, 22 (11).

Southcentral: Huntingdon, 67 (38); Bedford, 52 (29); Mifflin, 27 (7); Snyder, 17 (5); Blair, 11 (13); Juniata, 11 (9); Fulton, 8 (2); and Perry, 4 (4).

Northeast: Sullivan, 56 (12); Pike, 45 (22); Monroe, 37 (7); Bradford, 33 (16); Wayne, 32 (14); Luzerne, 30 (10); Lackawanna, 19 (5); Wyoming, 18 (2) Carbon, 14 (8); Susquehanna, 11 (7); Columbia, 6 (8); and Northumberland, 1 (2).

Southeast: Schuylkill, 18 (7); Dauphin, 5 (4); Northampton, 2 (2); and Berks, 1 (0).

GAME COMMISSION SEEKING OPINIONS ON BLACK BEARS

The Pennsylvania Game Commission, in coming weeks, will use a telephone survey to measure the attitudes of Pennsylvanians on black bear population levels, their management and nuisance bear activity.

“This survey will help us measure the public’s level of knowledge about black bears,” said Calvin W. DuBrock, Bureau of Wildlife Management director. “It is designed to identify demographic characteristics of people with varying knowledge levels, assess public opinion about current black bear populations within different areas of the state, quantify the types and frequency of human-bear conflicts within different areas of the state, measure public opinion about the service received from the Game Commission while responding to nuisance bear complaints and measure the support and/or opposition for various black bear hunting methods and seasons.”

Results from this survey, which will be conducted by Responsive Management, a polling firm headquartered in Harrisonburg, Virginia, will be vital for accomplishing several strategies outlined in the Game Commission’s Black Bear Management Plan. The management plan can be viewed on the agency’s website (www.pgc.state.pa.us), click on “Hunting,” then select the photo of a bear and then choose “Bear Management Plan” under the “Research.”

“Pennsylvania residents from across the state will be selected randomly and asked to participate in this survey,” DuBrock said. “Calls will be made by interviewers from Responsive Management until sample quotas are reached. Final results from this survey are expected by April.”

Black bears are an incredibly unique natural resource that has prospered in Pennsylvania over the past two decades. Historically, they were found largely across Pennsylvania’s mountainous northern tier. Today, these highly adaptable animals are pushing south into more populated areas. In the process, they are being welcomed by some and creating a level of discomfort for others.

Black bears, which can attain weights well over 500 pounds, have a large home range and forage widely and seasonally for food. They are omnivorous, eating everything from fruit and crops to insects and carrion. They can damage birdfeeders and eat livestock, as well as cause large-scale crop damage and threaten people with their very presence. Conversely, many residents enjoy watching bears. Others have no idea they’re living in close proximity to bears.

“Regardless of whether your experiences with or feelings about bears are positive or negative, the Pennsylvania Game Commission is interested in what you have to say,” emphasized DuBrock. “So if you get a call from the folks at Responsive Management, please take a few minutes to answer their questions. It will help us greatly.”

Responsive Management has a telephone interviewing facility staffed by professional interviewers with experience conducting computer-assisted telephone interviews on natural resources management and outdoor recreation. All interviewers are trained according to the standards established by the Council of American Survey Research Organizations. Responsive Management has extensive experience in the use of quantitative research on natural resource and outdoor recreation issues. They have conducted about 1,000 projects over the past 18 years.

From: Rut-Nut ........ No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual ....... Date: 25-Nov-08

Hey Brad, Herdmaster's gonna be upset............this is BOWsite! ;-)

From: Brad Gehman ........ No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual ....... Date: 25-Nov-08

Who cares. Lots of dead bears is a good thing, rifle or not.

From: Jeff McCormick ........ No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual ....... Date: 25-Nov-08

I would LOVE to see Bears as legal game during Archery season here in 4C.

From: Flatlander ........ No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual ....... Date: 25-Nov-08

You guys won't see any changes to the bear season for years! It's like that, just accept it!

I agree Brad it's good to see some of the black SOB's taking a dirt nap! Hope they kill several more thousand of them!

From: Greybeard ........ No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual ....... Date: 25-Nov-08

Flatlander Quote: "You guys won't see any changes to the bear season for years! It's like that, just accept it!"

If you'd care to qualify the word "any" and the word "years" I will likely make you a friendly wager on that thar bar statement!

From: Joe The Teacher ........ One Violation Reported on this individual One Violation Reported on this individual ....... Date: 25-Nov-08
THIS VISITOR IS CURRENTLY UNDER WATCH FOR DISRESPECTFUL BEHAVIOR

Chuck,

I'll take some of that action too!

Joe

From: Rut Nut ........ No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual ....... Date: 26-Nov-08

"I would LOVE to see Bears as legal game during Archery season here in 4C."

Ditto for 3D!!!!!!!! :)

From: Brad Gehman ........ No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual ....... Date: 26-Nov-08

Look at these numbers. Yeah. Needed a good harvest in Potter. Finally got one.

Release #130-08

Nov. 26, 2008

For Information Contact:

Jerry Feaser

717-705-6541 PGCNews@state.pa.us

BEAR HUNTERS CONTINUE TO HAVE GREAT SUCCESS AFIELD

Bear exceeding 700 pounds taken in Monroe County on second day

HARRISBURG - Two days of bear hunting have produced a preliminary harvest of 2,518 bears, according to Pennsylvania Game Commission reports.

In 2007, 1,638 bears passed through check stations the first two days. In 2006, 2,185 bears were taken. In 2005, when the state record bear harvest was set, agency personnel processed 2,875 bears through the first two days of season; 2,262 in 2004; 2,299 in 2003; and 2,022 in 2002.

“The statewide two-day bear harvest has the 2008 season on a pace to be one of our best,” said Mark Ternent, Game Commission bear biologist. “Bear hunters across the state are really having a great season.”

So far, the top 10 bears processed at check stations through Tuesday all had estimated live weights exceeding 600 pounds. Morgan C. Neipert, of Tobyhanna, harvested the largest bear, which was a male that weighed in at 716 pounds (estimated live weight). The bear was taken in Tobyhanna Township, Monroe County, at 3:30 p.m. on Nov. 25.

Other large bears included: a 691-pound male taken by Ray E. Barrick, of McAlisterville, in Todd Township, Huntingdon County, at 1 p.m. on Nov. 24; a 680-pound male taken by Brian R. Clark Jr., of Olanta, in Pike Township, Clearfield County, at 2:30 p.m. on Nov. 24; a 651-pound male taken by Ryan M. Miller, of Pittston, in Bear Creek Township, Luzerne County, at 9:50 a.m. on Nov. 24; a 650-pound male taken by Walter Rupnik, of Breinigsville, in Green Township, Pike County, at 9:30 a.m. on Nov. 24; a 642-pound male taken by James P. McDonough, of Moscow, in Spring Brook Township, Lackawanna County, at noon on Nov. 25; and a 636-pound male taken by Albert C. Leddon II, of Pittsburgh, in Girard Township, Clearfield County, at 12:55 p.m. on Nov. 24.

The preliminary two-day bear harvest by Wildlife Management Unit was as follows: WMU 1A, 14 (7 in 2007); WMU 1B, 57 (23); WMU 2A, 1 (1); WMU 2C, 184 (188); WMU 2D, 123 (75); WMU 2E, 93 (44); WMU 2F, 213 (197); WMU 2G, 598 (458); WMU 3A, 279 (139); WMU 3B, 255 (97); WMU 3C, 55 (35); WMU 3D, 168 (87); WMU 4A, 118 (80); WMU 4B, 34 (30); WMU 4C, 52 (36); WMU 4D, 256 (127); WMU 4E, 17 (14); and WMU 5C, 1, (0).

The top bear harvest county in the state after the first two days was Potter with 256 (87 in 2007), followed by Tioga, 205 (102); Lycoming, 195 (97); McKean, 126 (80); and Clearfield, 98 (70).

County harvests by region for the first two days, followed by the two-day 2007 preliminary harvests in parentheses, are:

Northwest: Forest, 53 (50); Venango, 52 (28); Jefferson, 48 (33); Warren, 47 (67); Clarion, 46 (17); Crawford, 29 (2); Erie, 9 (2); Butler, 6 (8); and Mercer, 4 (0).

Southwest: Somerset, 83 (72); Indiana, 51 (26); Armstrong, 44 (35); Fayette, 35 (56); Westmoreland, 32 (32); and Cambria, 26 (8).

Northcentral: Potter 256 (87); Tioga, 205 (102); Lycoming, 195 (97); McKean, 126 (80); Clearfield, 98 (70); Clinton, 91 (142); Elk, 79 (55); Centre, 74 (43); Cameron, 61 (98); and Union, 36 (19).

Southcentral: Huntingdon, 96 (53); Bedford, 69 (52); Mifflin, 35 (11); Snyder, 24 (12); Blair, 23 (25); Juniata, 17 (12); Perry, 11 (5); and Fulton, 9 (6).

Northeast: Sullivan, 76 (20); Pike, 63 (42); Bradford, 49 (28); Monroe, 48 (11); Wayne, 46 (19); Luzerne, 35 (22); Wyoming, 28 (8); Lackawanna, 27 (10); Carbon, 20 (17); Susquehanna, 14 (15); Columbia, 9 (14); and Northumberland, 2 (2).

Southeast: Schuylkill, 21 (9); Dauphin, 7 (6); Northampton, 2 (3) and Berks, 1 (0).

From: Flatlander ........ No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual ....... Date: 26-Nov-08

Greybeard and Joe I can't win that bet! Prolly should have worded that statement different! I doubt we will see any length/additional time added to either bear season:)

From: rust4brains ........ No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual ....... Date: 26-Nov-08

Bushmaster, I saw that as well. Being from Ellwood City, I was shocked to see that Beaver County had confirmed kills. All of the bear must have been chased out of Lawrence County by that Black Pather running loose.

From: Joe The Teacher ........ One Violation Reported on this individual One Violation Reported on this individual ....... Date: 26-Nov-08

Chuck, I see a spring hunt coming in some areas. I don't agree with it, although I see it coming.

Go Beaver County!

Joe

From: HerdManager ........ One Violation Reported on this individual One Violation Reported on this individual ....... Date: 26-Nov-08

Bush,

Those 2 must have recovered and gone back into the woods. They were removed from the 2-day published totals.................

From: woodie ........ One Violation Reported on this individual One Violation Reported on this individual ....... Date: 26-Nov-08

SURE.:)

From: Paddyj ........ No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual ....... Date: 27-Nov-08

I guess I am glad I didnt go bear hunting, I heard they have 28in. of snow near Tidioute where we were supposed to hunt. I am only 5'-6"...You do the math.

From: Bogey ........ No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual ....... Date: 27-Nov-08

I was at the Gaines Check station the first day with a friends bear. We got there around 7pm and 140-some bears were already checked in and there was a line of 40 to 50 trucks waiting. I have never seen that many people at a check station. It was a AWSOME season for bear where we hunt. I saw good sign all over the place.

A friend of mine hunted near Germania during the Archery season and saw 6 bear, but no shots.

From: Brad Gehman ........ No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual ....... Date: 27-Nov-08

354 bears went thru the Gaines check station in 3 days.

From: Frank Empson ........ No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual ....... Date: 27-Nov-08

354 bears went thru the Gaines check station in 3 days. now that is some numbers . still cant believe the numbers from the smallest wmu 3A 279. There was several taken near home . Its time for more bow time

From: Flatlander ........ No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual ....... Date: 28-Nov-08

Joe I don't see a spring bear hunt coming anytime soon.

From: The Walking Dead ........ No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual ....... Date: 28-Nov-08

Frank, I agree but the PGC does impact studies and research when it applies only to bowhunters. It doesn't apply when it comes to allowing 40 to 60 thousand crossbow hunters in the regular archery season. That's OK. They (PGC)said they will just go with it and see what happens. If the crossbows get in in January, bear archery season will be be a thing of the past.

Reply to Thread

Subject: RE: Bear Harvest

You are not registered - please click here to register now.

Copyright © 1996-2013 Bowsite.com
No duplication without expressed written consent of the author and Bowsite.com.

Privacy and Registration Policy