illin 08-Jan-09
speed 08-Jan-09
bill brown 08-Jan-09
Iowa bound 11-Jan-09
Elk Hunter 12-Jan-09
Farmer 12-Jan-09
bill brown 14-Jan-09
06-Jan-09
A friend of mine's Brother in Law found this in WCI bird hunting!

06-Jan-09

NRUT82's embedded Photo
NRUT82's embedded Photo
Try again---Duh.

06-Jan-09
That is quite a rack. I guess you don't have any idea of what he died from? Was the bones from the body around?

06-Jan-09
Yes I have about 8 more photo's of the carcass in the field. But my buddy dident say anything about holes or how it might have died, it was all bones.

06-Jan-09
nice buck. To bad somebody couldn't have killed it while hunting. That is very nice. I wish I had luck like that. I have found dead bucks before, but nothing more then a 100".

06-Jan-09
NRUT82---I figured from looking at the head that the carcass was basically all gone except for bones. I was just wondering if the bones were around or if the head was there by itself. I thought maybe some poacher had got rid of the head because with a rack like that they wouldn't be able to keep it quite. Too bad some bowhunter didn't get to kill it.

06-Jan-09
Just seeing one like that would make you day, even if you did not get a shot.

06-Jan-09

NRUT82's embedded Photo
NRUT82's embedded Photo
Here's another pick with bones.

06-Jan-09
Nice Monster Buck! That's what dreams are trully made of....better get a 'salvage tag' on it before someone takes it away from whoever.

06-Jan-09
I'm sorry, but can someone tell me what WCI means/is?

06-Jan-09
Are there actually places in West Central Illinois that you can bird hunt, or do you have to go through an outfitter for that too? That is an absolutely incredible rack. Makes you wonder if someone shot it, and couldn`t find it. How sick would that make you? Another thought that went through my mind was how many of these giants are laying out there right now, just rotting away, that no one will ever find. I know of a few giants, that as far as I know were never killed, or found dead. It`s always been my opinion that bucks like these live where men don`t think to venture.

06-Jan-09
I quail hunt some too--a lot of deer (buck) hunters would be suprised at the number of quality bucks a bird hunter finds in places where deer hunters would not hunt---guess what????---that is why they are there!!!

06-Jan-09
As you would expect, you either have to know someone or pay to hunt pretty much anything in WCI.

06-Jan-09
OMG! Now thats some serious bone!

06-Jan-09

SJ's Link
Prairie State Outdoors has a blurb about this buck on their scattershooting section and said "Stan Potts was hot on its trail", whatever that means. See link.

Enjoy the live IL bear picture (Bureau County) while you are looking at the link.

06-Jan-09
well...Petersburg isn't WEST central Illinois...more like 'central' I'd think. Stan 'wishes' he had a deer like that or was on one like that....

WCI = West Central Illinois 'Tall Paul'! Someone asked yesterday?? Just how tall are you Paul?? I'm curious too!... (*;

07-Jan-09
Stan took his famous throat patch shot @ this one,but it didnt work out to well!

07-Jan-09
Speaking of Stan Potts....I watched that video again yesterday(Primetime 6).....the guy is a jag-off for even attempting a shot like that on that critter....it dosnt matter whether he got the animal or not...piss poor shot selection and he just plain got lucky....what would have happened to the critter if he hit the jaw or some place else and the buck died a lingering death....I have NO respect for the guy.....maybe that's what happened to this great buck....think about your shot selections guys.....I'd rather pass on an animal of this magnitude and MAYBE get another chance, rather than wound and lose the animal and be kicking my self for years to come and losing sleep over it....Jeff

07-Jan-09
I know the gentleman in the picture with the buck being posted on Prairie State Outdoors and I'm pretty sure the young man in the picture on this thread is his nephew. If it is who I think, this family owns quite alot of land in the Petersburg area. I don't think Mr Potts hunts on their property. The uncle and the nephew are bow and gun hunters. And I'm not sure about the nephew, but the uncle has somewhere between 14 and 18 bucks on the wall of his beautiful newer home that would make Stan Potts eye start going crazy.

07-Jan-09
"Start?" 8^)

07-Jan-09

buckhunter167's embedded Photo
buckhunter167's embedded Photo
This is a sad story for me. I've had the deer at 60 yards 2 different times during early november. I've got multiple scout camera pics. I can verify that Stan Potts wasn't hunting this deer but was aware of the deer.

The guy in the picture is the nephew of the owner of the land and rack. The amazing thing is the deer was only 4.5 years old. He was definitely still growing. Last year he had only 1 small drop and was about a 180-190 incher.

07-Jan-09
Sorry for you buckhunter. Incredible buck.

07-Jan-09
Body wise he looks young.What a amazing deer!Ethical shots should be first concern. I passed up a absolute slob during gun season becouse a couple of branches may have been in the way due to the trajectory.Am i sick to my stomach i didnt harvest that deer..heck yeah.but i couldnt live with the thought of wounding that animal & not recovering it. Hopefully he will come by next bow season.

07-Jan-09
Dang buckhunter, i hope he has some relation in the area for you. What a great deer.

07-Jan-09
Hopefully he's passed his genes on and one day that little button buck will grow up to be like his daddy :0) ......Jeff

07-Jan-09
That's would make a fella sick for awhile sorry to hear that Buckhunter! Hopefully he has done a lot of breedin the last couple years.

07-Jan-09
Make one sick to have had him that near yet so far. You were honored to have seen him I'm sure! Great trail cam pic too,by the way. I wish the best of luck to you for the remainder of this season and next!

08-Jan-09
"If it is who I think, this family owns quite alot of land in the Petersburg area."

The deer was found on John Grosboll's farm in a patch of warm season grass where deer frequently bed. Spoke with John last night about the buck. Apparently, there have been several hundred people out to see the rack and pretty much every one of them have taken their picture with the rack before they left. John also told me that he put up a 200" buck with drop tines while cutting corn. So apparently the big fella' has passed on his genes.

Sadly, the rumor mill is in full swing. I have heard that several calls have been made to the DNR and USF&W alleging foul play. John told me that he had to speak to FIVE CPOs before he got a salvage tag. Pretty sad what a big rack will do to people.

08-Jan-09
I posted picks on a t and people were calling foul on there without even hearing the full story. Poachers don't just leave a buck like that laying around to decompose like that. I would bet that buck had a bad shot placed on him in a legal season. If it was poached, it was a bad shot, and not the people who found it I am fairly sure of that. You don't just leave that laying in a field. There is a huge amount of jealousy in the hunting world, even over a found deer.

08-Jan-09
How this monster eluded Stan Potts baffles me?????

08-Jan-09
Buckhunter167, too bad you can't hunt him anymore. It must have been one hell of a case of buck fever to have him out there at 60 yards!

11-Jan-09
First thing that comes to my mind when I see this deer is WOW, WOW and more WOW. Great buck for sure. Not sure how old you are buckhunter167 but, my guess is in a few years you'll have some chances at his sons. Good luck and sorry to see such a giant found in this manner.

12-Jan-09
Awesome buck.

12-Jan-09
Bill Brown.......buck fever or not, if I'm not mistaken, didn't you get one about this size a few years back.

14-Jan-09
I did,Farmer, in '99. Surprised I didn't die of buck fever, as he was close for a half hour before I got the shot. I'm sorry one of my fellow bowhunters did not get this excellent deer, but my understanding is that the landowner is a deer hunter and will mount this beautiful buck.

• Sitka Gear