azelkhntr 03-Aug-21
BMatt2011 05-Aug-22
BMatt2011 05-Aug-22
Aspen Ghost 05-Aug-22
crestedbutte 05-Aug-22
TheGreatWapiti 05-Aug-22
soccern23ny 08-Aug-22
30-Jan-09
What are ex felon laws in Colorado as it pertains to bowhunting? I searched the archives but found nothing, and doing a "Google" on the subject gets me 20 different answers. Thanks.

30-Jan-09
Their a fire arm just like a gun.

30-Jan-09
The DOW Big GAme Brochure states:

WEAPONS RESTRICTIONS

Colorado and federal laws prohibit prople convicted of certain crimes, such as domestic violence, from possessing weapons, even for hunting. Check with the appropriate law inforcement authority on how the laws applies to you.

Now, this does not cover every aspect of the issue as everr situations may be slightly different and with a different time line. I just talked with the CDOW Chief of Law Enforcement, and he will clarify this above definition within a few days. I will then attach that clarification when I get it. Paul CBA

30-Jan-09
In Colorado, bows are considered weapons. Felons cannot possess or use guns or bows. This fact was reaffirmed to me by a local DOW officer just a couple weeks ago.

Over the years, I have had 2 individuals, both felons, request to take my bowhunter ed class. Fortunately, both guys told me up front that they had a felony conviction in the past. Reluctantly, I told them they could not take the class, since we do handle bows and shoot bows in the class.

30-Jan-09
Forest Bows- Archery equipment is definately not classified as a "firearm", there is no ignition involved in launching an arrow.

This is one of the strong points on being able to hunt in areas that are incorporated if they do not have an Ordinance prohibiting "Archery equipment". Of course bows handled inproperly could be construed as a "deadly weapon" if you are using it carelessly.

31-Jan-09
well. either there must be a misunderstanding of the law or something (mistake) within the licensing dept that allows a person with a felony to bowhunt in co. I know someone who has come to CO from out of state in the last 3 years to bowhunt. they bought the license and killed an animal.

31-Jan-09
Is a Felon, a felon, a felon and all on the same level.

This may just be the point. All about levels.

And it just may be that some felons may be able to hunt with a firearm and or bow depending on the degree of their case, ie "certain cases".

As I stated above, the CDOW will up date this subject and let me know. Paul

31-Jan-09
Its Felons not ex felons and bows are not firearms

31-Jan-09
It is not firearms that are in question here It is (weapons). Bows are weapons, knives are weapons, and guns are weapons. Felons are not allowed to posses weapons period!!!!!!!!!

31-Jan-09
>>>---WW---->: That is absolutely not true. Convicted felons have had their FIREARMS rights revoked. Think about it, a carpenter works with a hammer, and a hammer can be used as a weapon. I know this, as my stepbrother has a 23 year old felony on his record (never in trouble since), and all the research has been done by him and his attorney. Missing Whitetails: As far as the legality of a bow hunter with a felony, I have spoken to SEVERAL DOW officers, and have had different responses from each. I am currently searching for the statute to see it in writing, as nobody from the DOW can actually show me this info. I will be calling Bob Thompson on monday to see if he can get me written documentation on this subject. In the meantime, don't believe everything you hear. Even when someone in a position of "authority" tells you one thing, until you see absolute proof, always question what you hear. "so and so told me" is not a very good defense in a court of law. This hits close to home, as I have been trying to help him with this issue for quite some time

31-Jan-09
The most dangerous weapon on earth is the human mind.

Guns, bows, knives, chain saws, all these tools just make doing the job simpler.

31-Jan-09
Jeff, aka nooffence, you can call Bob Thompson but I just talked with the newely appointed Chief of Law Enforcement when this thread was created a few days ago, and he is going to review this subject and give me the updated info. So if you want to wait, I will supply this thread with that info within a few days. Paul

31-Jan-09
Jeff, aka nooffence, you can call Bob Thompson but I just talked with the newely appointed Chief of Law Enforcement when this thread was created a few days ago, and he is going to review this subject and give me the updated info. So if you want to wait, I will supply this thread with that info within a few days. Paul

01-Feb-09
I will side some what with Paul on this subject, I had done some research a few years ago on this very subject because of some false info that had been put into my records by a certain CBI employee, the advice I reccomend is to CONTACT YOUR BATF OFFICE and ask them because they are the ones who will know, even some of the law officers at the CDOW don't even know these laws as they are very complex, never go by here say always check with the proper authorities. even with a misd-domestic you can still hunt with primitive weapons ie, bow/certain muzzleloaders as it was explained to my lawers by the BATF. as on a personal note if you have ever had any legal issues in this state you'd better check your records as CBI may have missed classified it, and this can lead to a real mess not just with owning bows and such but also with certain jobs and such.

02-Feb-09
BATFE knows the federal law, but there are state laws as well that you have to contend with.

02-Feb-09
Thanks for your help Paul. I too have a message into the DOW on the subject. They don't seem to quick to respont. That's goverment work. Don't worry fellas, I'm no felon but do employ one. He spent a few years in the joint and I gave him his first shot once he got out. He's NEVER been late in the past 18 months, has worked his way up to middle management and is an all star in my book. I would love to get him involved in bowhunting. He sees me shoot after work each day and is pretty curious.

02-Feb-09
I thought Federal law jut stated "Dangerous Weapons".An interpretation was left with States,parole offices,and prosecutors.I know of two convicts who have found these answers very difficult to ascertain.

02-Feb-09
Most people think bows are not firearms, but it really depends on the jurisdiction which can be confusing. I was told by a state park officer that my air rifle was considered a firearm. I was talking with a DOW officer about bowfishing at a pond in Thornton & he said it would be legal to do it per him. He did recommend we talk with the city police. They said we couldn't because it would violate the no discharge of firearms in the city limit. They said a bow fell into the firearm category. A clarification by the DOW would be very helpful in this situation, but the final determination should ultimately come from the county where the individual is planning to hunt.

02-Feb-09
Missing Whitetails,

The Bowsite rules say that you are suppose to enter your name and state. I see that you have a state listed but I don't think that your name is " ".

02-Feb-09
one can be prohibited from possessing a firearm locally but not federally. If your conviction was before a certain date and time has elapsed one may pass a federal firearms (NCIS) background check( in states that use NICS Wyoming for example) but you may be denied in a state like Colo that says once a felon always a felon.

Messed up

You might want to move or hunt in Wyoming?

Everyone makes mistakes in life...some are caught.

02-Feb-09
city,county,state can not over ride federal law/rights, I know because I beat the state (CBI) at there own game. As mentioned before never go by hear say, get the facts from the proper authorities.

02-Feb-09
by the way I was never a felon, but the CBI miss filed info and tried to fight it and lost/had to correct clerical errors as they claimed, and in the prossess I learned alot about the laws and the BATF had all of the facts right when looking it up. as for felons,most likely will not be able to own weapons,as it was explained to me before but call and find out for your self.

03-Feb-09
Here is what I got from the DOW. He classified "archery" as a weapon.

A person can be eligible to purchase a hunting license in Colorado but could be prohibited from possessing weapons (archery, muzzleloading, rifle, etc) to hunt. The following information is taken from the 2008 Colorado Big Game Hunting Information brochure.

Colorado and federal laws prohibit people convicted of certain crimes, such as domestic violence, from possessing weapons, even for hunting. Check with the appropriate law enforcement authority on how the laws apply to you.

Respectfully, Jerry Colorado Division of Wildlife Denver Call Center 303-291-7419 [email protected]

03-Feb-09
Federal law in regards to felons and DV convictions relates to FIREARMS. Archery Equipment and black powder (i.e. muzzleloaders) do not fall under federal laws. States can make laws that are more restrictive than federal laws. In other words states can bar felons from possessing archery and black powder. Violations for possessing archery and black powder would be a state violation not federal.

Further more, once a felon (in most cases) always a felon. Some states have restoration of rights for firearms by having records expunged and/or 1st offender statutes but not many. By in large, if you have ever been convicted of a felony, you can't possess a firearm.

03-Feb-09
400- I think you'll find when paul gets back to us that you are correct.JR

03-Feb-09
It's my job, I know what I just stated is correct. In most states you can hunt with a bow and black powder as a felon.

03-Feb-09
400, this is why I went straight to the Chief of the CDOW Enforcement for the corrent interpretation. I have not received an answer yet but it looks like you are "right on" or very close. When I do get an answer, I will post. I am sure a ML rifle is restricted use but I am still not sure about a bow and arrow.

Missingwhitetail. Sometimes just contacting the CDOW and getting an answer from the Call Center, does not tell the whole story. These guys basically do a great job but do not know all of the aspects of an issue. he just quoted from the Big GAme Brochure.

Thank you both for your input. Paul

03-Feb-09
400 is correct. Bows and primative guns are not classified as firearms under the GCA (Gun Controll Act) and federal law says if you were convicted prior to early 90s your federal firearms rights maybe restored. States can be tougher.

But at least you won't do time in the Fed Pen.

04-Feb-09
So does Colorado have a seperate law banning archery?

04-Feb-09
WEAPONS RESTRICTIONS • Under Colorado law, convicted felons are prohibited from possessing any firearms or other weapons, which include muzzleloaders and archery equipment. Therefore, any convicted felon cannot hunt in Colorado. This statute applies to resident and nonresident hunters. Violation of this statute may be a felony. • Federal law prohibits anyone convicted of a crime of domestic violence, either felony or misdemeanor convictions, to possess a firearm. If the conviction was a misdemeanor, hunters can hunt in Colorado with muzzleloading or archery equipment. If the conviction was a felony, hunters, residents, and nonresidents cannot hunt with any firearm or weapon, including muzzleloading and archery. The above was on a contract I received from a Colorado Outfitter last year. Not sure if this is set in stone or not, but looks like he is quoting CO state regs.

06-Feb-09
The above post is 99.9% correct according to Colorado Law. This was confirmed yesterday when I was at the CWC meeting by the Chief of Law Enforcement for the CDOW.

I will say this, there will be an attempt by the CDOW to clarify all aspects of this law so that all Colorado enforcement agencies, ie, local prosecuters and judges, understand the law and its various aspects.

It is the .1% that needs to be clarified. Paul, CBA

18-Feb-09

elkscatpile's Link
Does anyone have an understanding of the actual Colorado Statutes that prohibit convicted felons from possessing archery equipment? Quoting the DOW reg's does little since they print the following disclaimer in the front page " This brochure is not a legal notice nor a complete collection of hunting regulations and laws. It is a condensed guide issued for hunters' convenience. You can find copies of wildlife statutes and regulations on our website, www.wildlife.state.co.us or at any DOW office."

The following are statutes from the Colorado Bureau of Investigations website. It does not appear that archery equipment is considered a dangerous weapon as defined is section in 18-12-102 (1), or a prohibited weapon by a previous offender 18-12-108. There also appears to be a 10-year clause?

Does anyone have any advise for appropriate steps for a convicted felon the legally bowhunt in Colorado?

Colorado Statutes/TITLE 18 CRIMINAL CODE/ARTICLE 12 OFFENSES RELATING TO FIREARMS AND WEAPONS/PART 1 FIREARMS AND WEAPONS - GENERAL/18-12-108. Possession of weapons by previous offenders. 18-12-108. Possession of weapons by previous offenders. (1) A person commits the crime of possession of a weapon by a previous offender if the person knowingly possesses, uses, or carries upon his or her person a firearm as described in section 18-1-901 (3) (h) or any other weapon that is subject to the provisions of this article subsequent to the person's conviction for a felony, or subsequent to the person's conviction for attempt or conspiracy to commit a felony, under Colorado or any other state's law or under federal law. (2) (a) Except as otherwise provided by paragraphs (b) and (c) of this subsection (2), a person commits a class 6 felony if the person violates subsection (1) of this section. (b) A person commits a class 5 felony, as provided by section 18-12-102, if the person violates subsection (1) of this section and the weapon is a dangerous weapon, as defined in section 18-12-102 (1). (c) A person commits a class 5 felony if the person violates subsection (1) of this section and the person's previous conviction was for burglary, arson, or any felony involving the use of force or the use of a deadly weapon and the violation of subsection (1) of this section occurs as follows: (I) From the date of conviction to ten years after the date of conviction, if the person was not incarcerated; or (II) From the date of conviction to ten years after the date of release from confinement, if such person was incarcerated or, if subject to supervision imposed as a result of conviction, ten years after the date of release from supervision. (d) Any sentence imposed pursuant to this subsection (2) shall run consecutively with any prior sentences being served by the offender. (3) A person commits the crime of possession of a weapon by a previous offender if the person knowingly possesses, uses, or carries upon his or her person a firearm as described in section 18-1-901 (3) (h) or any other weapon that is subject to the provisions of this article subsequent to the person's adjudication for an act which, if committed by an adult, would constitute a felony, or subsequent to the person's adjudication for attempt or conspiracy to commit a felony, under Colorado or any other state's law or under federal law. (4) (a) Except as otherwise provided by paragraphs (b) and (c) of this subsection (4), a person commits a class 6 felony if the person violates subsection (3) of this section. (b) A person commits a class 5 felony, as provided by section 18-12-102, if the person violates subsection (3) of this section and the weapon is a dangerous weapon, as defined in section 18-12-102 (1). (c) A person commits a class 5 felony if the person commits the conduct described in subsection (3) of this section and the person's previous adjudication was based on an act that, if committed by an adult, would constitute burglary, arson, or any felony involving the use of force or the use of a deadly weapon and the violation of subsection (3) of this section occurs as follows: (I) From the date of adjudication to ten years after the date of adjudication, if the person was not committed to the department of institutions, or on or after July 1, 1994, to the department of human services; or (II) From the date of adjudication to ten years after the date of release from commitment, if such person was committed to the department of institutions, or on or after July 1, 1994, to the department of human services or, if subject to supervision imposed as a result of an adjudication, ten years after the date of release from supervision. (d) Any sentence imposed pursuant to this subsection (4) shall run consecutively with any prior sentences being served by the offender. (5) A second or subsequent offense under paragraphs (b) and (c) of subsection (2) and paragraphs (b) and (c) of subsection (4) of this section is a class 4 felony. (6) (a) Upon the discharge of any inmate from the custody of the department of corrections, the department shall provide a written advisement to such inmate of the prohibited acts and penalties specified in this section. The written advisement, at a minimum, shall include the written statement specified in paragraph (c) of this subsection (6). (b) Any written stipulation for deferred judgment and sentence entered into by a defendant pursuant to section 18-1.3-102 shall contain a written advisement of the prohibited acts and penalties specified in this section. The written advisement, at a minimum, shall include the written statement specified in paragraph (c) of this subsection (6). (c) The written statement shall provide that: (I) (A) A person commits the crime of possession of a weapon by a previous offender in violation of this section if the person knowingly possesses, uses, or carries upon his or her person a firearm as described in section 18-1-901 (3) (h), or any other weapon that is subject to the provisions of this title subsequent to the person's conviction for a felony, or subsequent to the person's conviction for attempt or conspiracy to commit a felony, or subsequent to the person's conviction for a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence as defined in 18 U.S.C. sec. 921 (a) (33) (A), or subsequent to the person's conviction for attempt or conspiracy to commit such misdemeanor crime of domestic violence; and (B) For the purposes of this paragraph (c), "felony" means any felony under Colorado law, federal law, or the laws of any other state; and (II) A violation of this section may result in a sentence of imprisonment or fine, or both. (d) The act of providing the written advisement described in this subsection (6) or the failure to provide such advisement may not be used as a defense to any crime charged and may not provide any basis for collateral attack on, or for appellate relief concerning, any conviction. Source: L. 71: R&RE, p. 483, § 1. C.R.S. 1963: § 40-12-108. L. 73: p. 542, § 1. L. 75: Entire section amended, p. 621, § 17, effective July 21. L. 93, 1st Ex. Sess.: Entire section added, p. 4, § 3, effective September 13. L. 94: Entire section R&RE, p. 1464, § 6, effective July 1. L. 2000: (2)(a) and (4)(a) amended and (2)(d), (4)(d), and (6) added, pp. 632, 633, §§ 1, 2, 3, effective July 1. L. 2002: (6)(b) amended, p. 1517, § 208, effective October 1. L. 2003: (4)(b) amended, p. 1432, § 19, effective April 29. Cross references: For the legislative declaration contained in the 2002 act amending subsection (6)(b), see section 1 of chapter 318, Session Laws of Colorado 2002.

Colorado Statutes/TITLE 18 CRIMINAL CODE/ARTICLE 12 OFFENSES RELATING TO FIREARMS AND WEAPONS/PART 1 FIREARMS AND WEAPONS - GENERAL/18-12-102. Possessing a dangerous or illegal weapon - affirmative defense. 18-12-102. Possessing a dangerous or illegal weapon - affirmative defense. (1) As used in this section, the term "dangerous weapon" means a firearm silencer, machine gun, short shotgun, short rifle, or ballistic knife. (2) As used in this section, the term "illegal weapon" means a blackjack, gas gun, metallic knuckles, gravity knife, or switchblade knife. (3) A person who knowingly possesses a dangerous weapon commits a class 5 felony. Each subsequent violation of this subsection (3) by the same person shall be a class 4 felony. (4) A person who knowingly possesses an illegal weapon commits a class 1 misdemeanor. (5) It shall be an affirmative defense to the charge of possessing a dangerous weapon, or to the charge of possessing an illegal weapon, that the person so accused was a peace officer or member of the armed forces of the United States or Colorado national guard acting in the lawful discharge of his duties, or that said person has a valid permit and license for possession of such weapon. Source: L. 71: R&RE, p. 482, § 1. C.R.S. 1963: § 40-12-102. L. 72: p. 276, § 9. L. 73: p. 540, § 13. L. 79: Entire section R&RE, p. 729, § 10, effective July 1. L. 87: (1) amended, p. 674, § 3, effective May 16. Cross references: For affirmative defenses generally, see §§ 18-1-407, 18-1-710, and 18-1-805.

18-Feb-09
I just want to know who the felon is, and what they did. If I get insomnia, I'll read those stats. I can read the simplest of statutes, not understand them and interpret them multiple different ways, and find conflicts.

I've been sued 3 times in the past year, stats are open to opinion & intrepretation, and per my attorney - you can sue Santa Claus if you can find him and serve him. Bottome line is it is expensive to let a judge resolve disputes, civil or criminal.

20-Feb-09
I am with 400Elk on this one. It was my job also to know the law and I have never seen a bow (or muzzle loader) included in the "dangerous weapon" ban pertaining to felons. It does not meet the definition, either by federal or Colorado statutes.

The last word on this would be your local District Attorney, regardless of what the Chief Law Enforcement officer says.

21-Feb-09
I am thinking the State Attorney Generals Office tells the local district attorneys what to do...

Seems to me that lately inline muzzleloaders were considered an item a convicted felon may not possess.

I have never heard of a federal law that would prevent a person from possessing a bow and arrow. To think a state would prevent people from hunting: based on the past commission of a crime .. is scary.

How many people are killed with a knife every year; compared to people killed with a bow ? I bet its probably 100,000 to 1: at least. And a felon is surely allowed a knife to cut his steak with...

I do know police officers etc: will talk with certain authority about things they know nothing about. Yes; I am saying that a law enforcement officer might lie.

Ever notice that they CAN legally lie? They do it all the time interrogating suspects. I know; I was a cop.

The Thompson brothers ('the witchery of archery') hunted with bows because they were not allowed to possess weapons- because they fought for the south.

You need an opinion from the attorney general in Colorado.

22-Feb-09
Whats even worse is I personally ran into a guy that served 3 years for Child molestation (his stepdaughter)and buys a license and rifle hunts every year. Complete felon.

Now how can this be?

23-Feb-09
(fire)arm. I was convicted 20yrs ago for growing 5 pot plants. Would i be allowed to hunt due to the time frame?

25-Feb-09
elkscatpile. here is some more info.

According to Series 500, CDOW Law Enforcement Guidelines Chapter 522, Felons in Possession of a firearm or other weapons, Effective 1/10/01.

A. Prohibited "firearms" and "regulated weapons" include. Any firearm, any dangerous weapon as ballistic knife and other guns. Any illegal weapons, black jacks, gas gun, metallic knuckles, gravity knife or switchblade knife. Any deadly weapon (except the possession of a hunting or fishing knife for sport use) and Other miscellaneous "regulated" weapons as bows and arrows, throwing stars, etc.

My suggestion is that anyone who needs information contact their local District attorney's office to review their particular situation.

It seems that prior to July 1, 1994, if convicted and or incarcerated, of a felony, the possession of a firearm or regulated weapon could be reinstated after 10 years upon release.

After JUly 1, 1994, " Any peron convicted is subject to the permanent prohibition against possession of firearms or regulated weapons.

This memo, states farther: "it is in the best interest of the public and the field officers that there be a clear understanding between CDOW officers and the local District Attorneys office regarding the possession of weapons by previous offenders.

I would then add that there needs to be a clear understanding between a private citizen and the local District Attorneys office concerning a previous offender.

This is why the Big GAme Brochure, states, "Check with the appropriate law enforcement authority on how the law apply to you."

Paul

27-Feb-09
Paul thanks for checking into the matter further.

The unfortunate part about checking with local DA’s office is that they won’t actually answer questions from individual citizens, same as at the state level.

The other part which doesn’t make a lot of sense in regards to checking with the local DA is a guy would have to contact multiple DA’s if living in Denver and hunting the western slope.

Can anyone recommend any front range lawyers with experience in these matters?

03-Mar-09
What's really sad about all of this is how EASY it is to be convicted of a felony. It used to be that a felony was a serious crime, but these days with 6 classes of felonies, the lower ones are like midemeanors. Plus our so-called "justice system" pretty much forces a person into a plea-bargaining situation where he may decide that taking a low-level felony rap is better than going to the risk, expense and time of a trial. IMO, that's not a good thing to do, but attorney's out to make a buck use that argument to convince people to accept plea bargains that screw them for life. Would you want to subject yourself to a jury of your "peers"? Not sure I would, given the crooked DAs and judges, and quality of some juries.

17-Apr-13
Being an ex felon myself I can tell you this. According to CSR a bow is not considered a firearm. We are only restricted from "firearms" which do include muzzleloaders because it shoots a projectile from any form of powder or explosion. I wish to find any statutes that prohibit us from bow hunting.

18-Apr-13
Here ya go: Colorado Statute CRS 18-12-108; Amended in 1994 to prohibit the possession of a firearm OR OTHER WEAPONS. (Look it up) It is the interpretation of the Colorado Attorney General and the Division of Wildlife that a Bow and Arrows are dangerous and deadly weapons, therefore, not allowed for possession of persons convicted of a felony.

You could always be a test case to challenge the law in court.

There are some states that do allow felons to hunt with archery equipment. Sorry but Colorado isn't one of them.

18-Apr-13
There are different class's of Felony degrees. Have no clue what each mean but that may make a difference. I wouldn't go by what you learn on a hunting forum if it is against the law or not. I would go to the correct place to get the correct information.

18-Apr-13
The following statement was issued by the division in January 2011:

Colorado State Law was amended in 1994 to prohibit the possession of a firearm or other weapons (pursuant to Colorado Revised Statutes Title 18, Article 12). It was also amended in 2000 to make such possession a class 6 felony instead of a class 1 misdemeanor. The beginning wording of CRS 18-12-108 is:

(1) A person commits the crime of possession of a weapon by a previous offender if the person knowingly possesses, uses, or carries upon his or her person a firearm as described in section 18-1-901 (3) (h) or any other weapon that is subject to the provisions of this article subsequent to the person's conviction for a felony, or subsequent to the person's conviction for attempt or conspiracy to commit a felony, under Colorado or any other state's law or under federal law.

CRS 18-1-901(3)(h) adds the following provision that covers muzzleloaders and shotguns: 18-1-901(3)(h) "Firearm" means any handgun, automatic, revolver, pistol, rifle, shotgun, or other instrument or device capable or intended to be capable of discharging bullets, cartridges, or other explosive charges.

Because 18-12-108 includes "firearm... OR ANY OTHER WEAPON that is subject to the provisions of this article", it also includes 'dangerous' and 'deadly weapons'. It is the interpretation of the Attorney General and the Division of Wildlife that bow and arrow are dangerous and deadly weapons, therefore, not allowed for possession of persons convicted of a felony.

18-Apr-13
Any felons on this thread who want to hunt can just go hunt in TX, PA, etc. This brings up an interesting point though. How does a felon get a hunter's safety card since most states require some sort of shooting to get one? You couldn't get your card in CO and then hunt in TX because of the shooting requirement.

So here's your solution. Temporarily move to Indiana as they only require residents to do an online hunter's safety card and then move back to CO and use your Indiana hunter's safety card to hunt in TX, PA, etc. with your bow and in some cases a percussion or flintlock muzzleloaders. Who cares about residency at this point because you can't hunt in Colorado anyway.

18-Apr-13
And then there's the question of you can't own a bow, muzzleloader, and crossbow and live in Colorado so I guess you'll have to borrow items all the time. I guess where there's a will there's a way. Just move to Texas(all the felons on this thread). Then you could own a bow and a muzzleloader and not have to play with shuffling your weapons around. Also wouldn't have to shoot illegally in your buddies basement. Or just take up fishing or calling elk in for your buddies. Nothing says you can't bugle or cow call for a friend of yours. To me that's more fun at this point in my life than killing one myself even though I still go out and kill deer and elk.

19-Apr-13
http://www.denverpost.com/ci_22421832

There's a great article for all you felons in this thread.

19-Apr-13
interesting,

No arrests or charges in my past. However, I see some injustice in this for a guy behind on child support due to an injury. A dude 19 or 20 with a 17 year old girlfriend that gets charged and can't afford a decent defense.

Our last 3 Presidents all admit to drug use. Since legalization in Colorado a judge would be at odds to cut a guy off for archery because he had a pot charge "back in the day". Many people plead no-contest or guilty to misdemeanors not knowing that there privilege to hunt would be effected at a later date. Violent offense are of course another issue. I always thought redemption and forgiveness was possible not just for Hollywood types and politicians but for us all. Just my two cents. Griz

19-Apr-13
Griz, so right. The laws go far beyond prohibiting firearm ownership for felons and otherwise dangerous people.

Real scenario - husband and wife have a bad argument. No physical contact, battery, or anything. Wife is very angry so the husband leaves to defuse the situation. Later, the wife won't answer the phone so husband calls the police to stop by for a welfare check.

Deputy stops by to chat. Wife answers door, deputy asks if he can come in to talk with her. She lets him in He sees a broken mirror. Arrests her for Domestic Violence and Criminal Mischief (It's illegal to break a mirror inside your own home, she learns - no joke).

Husband refuses to press charges or even sign a statement, but can't get her out of jail because he's the "victim", despite meeting with the DA and writing a letter. Someone else has to bail her out.

End result, she pleaded guilty to a reduced misdemeanor charge, but because of the DV charge, she can never own a gun or hunt again. Other than that, she previously had a clean record and a CCW permit. Now she's screwed.

Something is wrong with the system when things like this happen. Now with the new Obamacare law, people may be prohibited from gun ownership for past use of prescription "psychotropic" drugs like Ambien, which the Doc used to prescribe for me so I could sleep on the plane during long international business and hunting/fishing flights.

19-Apr-13
Lou, sounds like your friends wife got lied to, did she or her attorney look up the law that states its illegal to destroy your own property? I have a friend that they tried to charge the same thing(DV) for punching holes in a door, there was no law that stated this so they weren't able to charge him with DV, even Patrick Yha(sp?) (former goalie for the Avs) couldn't be charged for punching holes in his door as well.

With the new state law that just passed with all our new gun laws-DV law, clearly states "underlying factual basis-DV intent", this gives Libturds in the legal system to claim DV actions in "ANY" way they see fit to charge someone with DV, total BS

All these new laws against minor felons is another way the libturds are slowly eroding away our 2 amendment rights. like you said, ANYTHING related to mental health illness they will use against you to take your rights away. BETTER START FIGHTING BACK NOW! before it is to late.

19-Apr-13
Yeah basically guys if you like your guns just stay single and never go to the doctor and NEVER let them prescribe ridilin for your kids or diagnose them with ADHD as that may screw that kid for life.

19-Apr-13
Dennis, PM sent

19-Apr-13
My doctor is a hunter too.

28-Jul-21
My ex Wife said I hit her. I took a plea bargain and ended up with a misdemeanor domestic violence on my record. My public defender told me I will never beat the charge. This was well over 12 years ago. A few years ago her new husband called me and told me she was doing the same thing to him. She called me and asked me not to testify for him. I have a 6 hour recording of her apologizing to me about lying and claiming I hit her and her saying I never hit her. I dont know what to do. I live in Colorado I dont need your permission to record the call as long as I am part of the conversation. I want to now hunt. Or get my guns back but $2k just for a attorney to listen to the recording to tell me if there is anything I can do.

28-Jul-21
get a lawyer and go to the prosecutor and ask to have her prosecuted for lying in court and get your rights back.

29-Jul-21
Actual law in Colorado. C.R.S 18-12-108. Possession of weapons by previous offenders prohibits convicted felons from possessing a “deadly weapon.”

This is a class 6 felony.

It has always been my interpretation that a bow and arrow qualifies as something “capable of producing death or serious bodily injury as a “Deadly weapon” is defined in 18-1-901:

18-1-901, reads, in relevant part: (e) “Deadly weapon” means: . . . (II) A knife, bludgeon, or any other weapon, device, instrument, material, or substance, whether animate or inanimate, that, in the manner it is used or intended to be used, is capable of producing death or serious bodily injury.

30-Jul-21
Key question and detail is, are you a convicted felon? Or convicted of a misdemeanor? two very different convictions and restrictions of such.

01-Aug-21
New Mexico allows felons to Bowhunt

03-Aug-21
I'm a police supervisor in the metro area. Almost any object can be a deadly weapon and fit CRS's definition depending on the circumstances.

There is also zero chance any prosecutor in CO will prosecute a convicted felon for having a bow and using it to hunt or target shoot. There is also an almost zero chance (I say almost zero because some cops are overzealous idiots), any cop would push the issue or even think of going down that road.

I would wager a paycheck a possession of a weapon by a previous offender case has never been prosecuted in CO involving a bow. I'd also guess it's never happened with a muzzleloader (absent another circumstance).

03-Aug-21
I find the restriction on people who've done the time and paid for the crime reprehensible. I have zero issues with an ex-felon being able to use a bow or even muzzleloader in the pursuit of legal game. We should be welcoming our fellow citizens back into the fold instead of endlessly ostracizing and persecuting them.

05-Aug-22
OK I'll settle this as a felon. While under parole or probation supervision NO person is allowed to own or possess ANY weapon regardless of if its a felony or misdemeanor. Once a person completes the sentence given to them and is no longer under supervision then the felons who are now EX-Felons are allowed to own and possess and weapon which DOES NOT contain a firing pin as stated under federal ATF laws. Currently I am on parole and unable to possess weapons, however once off I am indeed allowed to hunt and use any flintlock weapon or bow depending on season.

05-Aug-22
OK I'll settle this as a felon. While under parole or probation supervision NO person is allowed to own or possess ANY weapon regardless of if its a felony or misdemeanor. Once a person completes the sentence given to them and is no longer under supervision then the felons who are now EX-Felons are allowed to own and possess and weapon which DOES NOT contain a firing pin as stated under federal ATF laws. Currently I am on parole and unable to possess weapons, however once off I am indeed allowed to hunt and use any flintlock weapon or bow depending on season.

05-Aug-22
That may be true per federal law Brian but Colorado state law appears to prohibit the flintlock.

18-12-108 (3) A person commits the crime of possession of a weapon by a previous offender if the person knowingly possesses, uses, or carries upon his or her person a firearm as described in section 18-1-901 (3) (h) or any other weapon that is subject to the provisions of this article subsequent to the person's adjudication for an act which, if committed by an adult, would constitute a felony, or subsequent to the person's adjudication for attempt or conspiracy to commit a felony, under Colorado or any other state's law or under federal law.

18-1-901 (3) (h) (h) "Firearm" means any handgun, automatic, revolver, pistol, rifle, shotgun, or other instrument or device capable or intended to be capable of discharging bullets, cartridges, or other explosive charges.

Bows do not appear to fall under "any other weapon that is subject to the provisions of this article" under Colorado 18-12-108.

But obviously any ex-felon should confirm with their attorney what they can legally possess rather than rely on internet analysis.

05-Aug-22
Hmmm..."EX-Felons are allowed to own and possess and weapon which DOES NOT contain a firing pin." What is an Ex-Felon gonna do.....pistol whip someone with their approved "non-firing" gun? They will most likely wind up getting shot if they draw it out during an altercation? EX-Felon might as well carry a bright orange squirt gun....atleast that might be recognizable to someone that has a real gun drawn on them and may keep Ex-Felon from getting shot....and maybe not?

05-Aug-22
I love the term "ex-felon." Is that like kinda being pregnant or almost filling your tag?

08-Aug-22
State laws/vocabulary probably differs from what cpw uses. In the brochure it describes what a "weapon/firearm" is this definition is probably different from criminal statutes regarding felons with guns. Unless cpw says felons cant hunt simply because they are felons or the definitions are the same the only definition that matters is what colorado state law says is a weapon not allowed to be owned by felons. If it doesnt list a bow tham they would be able to own a bow and thus hunt.

• Sitka Gear