Pyrannah 17-Feb-09
NockTaker 17-Feb-09
Jax 1 18-Feb-09
NockTaker 19-Feb-09
Kboy 19-Feb-09
Hebdas1 26-Feb-09
Muzzy125 02-Mar-09
14-Feb-09
I've been doing some homework via internet on hang-ons but since I can't see these up close and personal (no stores in the area even carry them when they have treestands) I'd like to get some opinions. I've checked the Summit Copperhead Compact, the Lone Wolf Alpha & Assault, and the Millenium Hang-On. All have features I like but I'm stumped when it comes to total versatility. I'm looking for the following: Lightweight, Safe and sturdy, ability to use one stand using a pre-hung receiver or hook, etc., ability to hang on a tree that may not necessarily be straight, and ease of use once I get familiar with it. I'd also appreciate opinions on climbing steps/sticks. Seems like to Lone Wolf Climbing Sticks would fill the bill but I'd like other opinions. Thanks in advance to all.

14-Feb-09
well its all personal prefence. The ones you listed are good. I used Rivers edge and Guide gear stands because of the cost. I can get a 24" x 28" platform for 45$ and when you got 11 stand like I do it is the best route. as for ladders if you want a climing stick summit makes a great ladder for about 50$ and it gets you 18 feet up and ameristep rapid rails are amazing 6 rails will get you into any tree and 20 plus feet. dicks usually sells them for 60$ and after huntin season i have got them for 25& for 3 rails and i bought a mess load of them.

14-Feb-09

IowaBowGuy's embedded Photo
IowaBowGuy's embedded Photo
Without a doubt the best overall hang-ons are made by Lonewolf.

If comfort is king you should look somewhere else but if you're looking for a quiet, easy to hang, functional, light treestand then the LW is the one.

14-Feb-09

Lewis Smith's Link
I have used the Chippewa Chief for years. Simply the best stand I've found.

14-Feb-09
If you want to hang them and leave them for awhile then my favorite is the Screaming Eagle.I don't know of a safer,more sturdy stand.They have no human weight limit.You can fold the platform up,poke the chain through it,and put a padlock on it and you have some security.For a stand to take in with you and take out the day of the hunt,I like the Lone Wolf.

14-Feb-09
Well it didn't take long for the cream to rise to the top. Lone Wolf and Chippewa for the all around best. Gorilla for the best economy stand.

14-Feb-09

Dale Hajas's Link
Screaming Eagle set the bar when it started with the chain hang on system years ago, and still may be the safest. Chippewa was too much $$$ more than the Screaming Eagle. So I was going to by the SE......

But I went to the UBP Winter Rendevous last year and WON my Lone Wolf Alpha with LW Sticks for $5.... I ever tell you guys that??~(8o)

I didnt pull another one of my stands out of the garage all year! The LW changed the way I hunt.

So if or when you get the LW climbing climbing sticks go to the link I provided and have this dude make you some ropes, like I did~(8o)

14-Feb-09
Agree with bushmaster. Anything that's cheap and chains on (that way you can padlock it). I bought ten of them from Cabela's about five years ago that cost $40.00. Hang them in the spring then hunt them in the fall.

I like to get about 30 feet up so I prefer to to use screw in steps when I can get permission. I'm an old man though, and they do kick my butt when I'm hanging stands.

I didn't know Screaming Eagle was still in business. They were the pioneers and made the best hang on stands.

14-Feb-09
I have API and Gorilla stands and love them both.

14-Feb-09
TB- I dont have the SC website addy, but google and you'll find it. There ad was a pic of a Volkswagon bug hanging off the ground while being strapped to the Screaming Eagle platform.

Hey jason- Flatlander could even be safe in a SE!!~(8o)

14-Feb-09

Dale Hajas's Link
http://www.e-screamingeagle.com/

14-Feb-09

Dale Hajas's Link
Here's another. Scroll down to the climbing sticks and check them out.

14-Feb-09
the millennium The website is HuntingSolutionsUSA.com

15-Feb-09
LOL I like the kind that I can strap onto a tree, and when I sit on it both of my feet are still on the ground. 8^)

15-Feb-09
I sure do liek the chippawa system! If I'd hit the lottery I'd own one:)

15-Feb-09
You asked for the best ones not the cheapest. "Stekewood" is correct. Lone Wolf and Chippewa for the all around best. Gorilla for the best economy stand. Lone Wolf's climbing sticks are great. There products cost a bit more, but their quality is second to none. The stand will last you the rest of your hunting days. That is if you don't leave it in the woods. I don't own a Chippewa, but I've heard very good things about them. I do own Lone Wolf products (the best in my opinion) and also Gorilla (very good for the money). Good Luck!

15-Feb-09
TBrom what do you use for your shooting stick?

30' high??? What stand company offers you a parachute that comes with the stand? just curious....

15-Feb-09
No shooting stick for me (or parachute). I don't even like wearing a safety belt (I know that's stupid) but I do wear one because my body stiffens up pretty good in cold weather. Plus, there's a lot of guys out there that would like to knock me out of a tree right now :)

15-Feb-09
All Lone Wolf stands. I use anchor chains that are rubber coated to lock my stands in. Sold all my old stands even a Chippewa.

15-Feb-09

PAdroptine. 's embedded Photo
PAdroptine. 's embedded Photo
Lone wolf hands down ! 1 stand and a bunch of set up straps is all you need.

15-Feb-09
Hands-down, the BEST hang-on is the Lone Wolf.

I bought another one last year so my boy and I can sit side by side.

It can be 3 degrees, and that stand will not creak, squeak, or snap. Dead quiet.

If I'm sitting all day I'll bring a 3" foam seat pad for some added comfort.

15-Feb-09

ernie 's Link
Whatever stand you decide on be sure to wear a harness from the time you leave the ground. The link shows a climbing system that gives you a rope that is attached at the base of the tree and above the stand with a prusic knot that you attach to and slide ahead of you. I lost a friend to a fall from a treestand last year so be sure to think safety first when using treestands.

15-Feb-09
Lone Wolf Stand and sticks!

Zero creaks. Zero slippage. Zero problems.

16-Feb-09
I have two Gorilla stands,kong and a silverback.They are safe,comfortable,and easy to set up. Once you strap it to the tree ,then lock down platform it's not going anyware.I have posted all day in both of them.

16-Feb-09
I have 2 gorilla stands also and they aren't bad for $90 if you keep them in the woods. But along with the general consensus I would say lone wolf or the chippewa stands. Look up chippewa wedge lock on google and call them or send them an email and they will send you a free video. No hunts on it and it is kind of boring ( could be the narration ) but they hang a jeep cherokee from the underside of one of their platforms, from the side rail of it. That stand does not kick out AT ALL. And they look super simple to hang and the weight limits their stands are rated for are ridiculous, most being around or over 400 pounds. They are expensive though, I envy you guys that own one.

17-Feb-09
Yep..they are the best but pricey...I sent the bill to my wife:)

17-Feb-09
We will be raffling off some nice stands at this year's Winter Festival!!

17-Feb-09
I have a lone wolf climber and that is the best stand I've had comparing to loggy and summit..

Anyway, are you guys using the lockon and sticks as climbers? Do you find them quicker to set up? Lighter? I was thinking about using them but not pack in and out everyday?

17-Feb-09
All you guys need to see and sit in the Millennium !

18-Feb-09
The millenium is the most comfortable and easy to set up. I have tried a lot of stands!

19-Feb-09
Thank You ! Jax 1

19-Feb-09
Bought my first Chippewa Wedge-lock about a dozen years ago. All of my hunting buddies now own them and none would think of buying anything else. We call them our ball and chain stands. Well built, quite, stable and expensive. You never regret buying quaility... Tom

26-Feb-09
Just a message to thank those who responded. I'll take all comments into consideration.

02-Mar-09
there is a guy in conneaut lake who has a tree in his shop that u can climb before u buy a stand. not sure if he has hangons yet or not. his name is ted cechech(spelling?)

• Sitka Gear