rvnwoodtick 25-Jun-09
Sparta-T on laptop 25-Jun-09
Redeye 25-Jun-09
Arwin 25-Jun-09
Roger Norris 26-Jun-09
Sparta-T on laptop 26-Jun-09
22-Jun-09
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE June 22, 2009

Contacts: Mary Dettloff (DNR) 517-335-3014 or Kenneth Arbogast (USFS) 231-775-5023

DNR and USFS Reminder: Planting Food Plots on Public Land is Illegal

With planting and gardening season underway, the Department of Natural Resources and the U.S. Forest Service today issued a reminder that it is illegal to plant food plots on public land.

Food plots, which are commonly used on private land to attract wildlife, including game animals, are not allowed on public land for a variety of biological and sociological reasons.

“Unauthorized food plots on public land pose risks such as invasive species introduction, disturbance of endangered species, and destruction of archaeological sites,” said Lt. Creig Grey, DNR Law Enforcement supervisor in Roscommon.

“Additionally, food plots work against the socially accepted concept of first-come, first-served hunting on public lands,” Grey said. “Trying to subvert the ban on baiting and feeding deer in the Lower Peninsula by planting food plots on public land is not only illegal, it encourages disputes that could devolve into hunter harassment.”

State land use regulations prohibit the destruction, damage, or removal of trees, shrubs, wildflowers, grasses or other vegetation. The use of motorized vehicles off of designated roads or trails is also not allowed. Fines and penalties for these violations vary depending on the county in which they take place.

On National Forest land, it is illegal to introduce seeds, fertilizer, potting soils, chemicals or other substances, and the use of mechanized vehicles that disturb the land, wildlife or natural vegetation, such as tractors, tillers or lawnmowers, is prohibited. Violations are tried in federal court and carry a maximum fine of $5,000 or six months in jail or both.

“Please report violators or the location of food plots on National Forest lands to U.S. Forest Service law enforcement officers at any Forest Service location,” said USFS public and government affairs officer Kenneth Arbogast.

Food plot planting activity and locations on state land should be reported to the Report All Poaching (RAP) line at 800-292-7800.

The DNR is committed to the conservation, protection, management, use and enjoyment of the state's natural resources for current and future generations.

# # #

23-Jun-09
Not sure I agree with the some of the reasons/rational given by the LT. In fact I might even toss the BS flag on the invasive species introduction and disturbance of endangered species theories. If that was such a statewide ecological issue, then why is it allowed on private land and not public? Seeds from private land plots can spread to public land just thru an animals normal digestive functions as the animal travels. Also, I don't think a deer cares when it's chewing on an "endangered species" on public or private land.

I could possibly see the point about disputes erupting....but then that happens already in crowded areas for other reasons.

My two cents....

23-Jun-09
Its amazing to think that the DNR has been collecting DRIP funds for many years and it has yet to spell out how it specifically spends these funds for the improvement of public land for habitat and hunting (DEER range improvement FUNDS).

It would nice to know where the money is being expended, for what, and what it is doing to perpetuate the whitetail populations as a result.

No accounting, no accountability. No measurement, no responsibility. Hey.. lets let the Detroit Pension Fund commissioners manage this program too...I hear that there is a Policy Conference being held in South Africa in elephant territory. I am sure the DRIP funds would cover the trip.

23-Jun-09
I'm glad they don't allow it on public land around here simply because it would cause so much chaos amongst hunters. It's bad enough having tree stands swiped, tires deflated, getting shot at, hunters intentionaly walking thorugh areas your hunting, small game hunters walking through your spot and eveything else that happens. I do certainly agree with DB, what exactly is our money going towards for habitat improvement? All I've been seeing is mass clear cutting on state land, but in a way that I don't think is helpfull for hunting. I think thats our trees being sold off for cash. I have seen prescribed burning being done, but I don't know how that helps besides eliminating thick floor growth. Is there any way to get some sort of letter describing what the DNR is doing or planning on doing?

23-Jun-09
I'm glad they don't allow it on public land around here simply because it would cause so much chaos amongst hunters. It's bad enough having tree stands swiped, tires deflated, getting shot at, hunters intentionaly walking thorugh areas your hunting, small game hunters walking through your spot and eveything else that happens. I do certainly agree with DB, what exactly is our money going towards for habitat improvement? All I've been seeing is mass clear cutting on state land, but in a way that I don't think is helpfull for hunting. I think thats our trees being sold off for cash. I have seen prescribed burning being done, but I don't know how that helps besides eliminating thick floor growth. Is there any way to get some sort of letter describing what the DNR is doing or planning on doing?

23-Jun-09
Arwin... I tried asking the DNR that questions a few years back. Got dumped from department to department looking for a plan, a budget, and expenditure accounting. Guess What? LOL... yeah... No luck..

So I called the NRC and spoke with one of our illustrious commissioners, asked for some details about the money and how it got spent. I was told by this UNELECTED decision maker, that the NRC was taking good care of the situation, that I shouldn't worry about it, and that I probably wouldn't understand all the numbers and columns and such anyway. I told him.. thats okay... if I get confused, I will ask questions, but if I don't have the facts to begin with, I can't ask intelligent questions, JUST SEND ME THE FACTS.

At that point he told me "well.. its just not that easy to follow this (simple) trail of money.. department budgets being what they are".... and my response to him?

"Exactly my point, Mr. Wheatlake, if its not transparent (even to you), how are we (dumb ignorant) sportsmen supposed to know what is going on?"

I expressed my displeasure with this situation by complaining to a few folks here... I was told that I made the NRC nervous by what (and how) I was asking and should be more of a team player.. be one of the good ol boys, get along.. you get more information with honey etc...

One guy even said that since he was connected to the DNR/NRC club, he could get me the information I wanted. (NOT ME...I couldn't just ask for it), but he had connections and would find out. Guess what? Never happened.

So I invite you. Ask for the details on how the money is spent. Not just an overall view.. details.. how much and where and what did they accomplish with our designated funds. Keep me posted. Good Luck.

23-Jun-09
I wish it wasn't so impossible!!! I mean if they could actually present sportsman with a game plan, we might be more likely to jump on board if significant changes were to be made for habitat improvement. I'd pay more for a license if the habitat was made to be prime. A couple years back, soybeans and sugar beets were planted on the state land near us. Talk about deer-o-rama!! That was just a small improvement which has never been re-done. Imagine if they started managing the deer, the habitat and even maybe use our money for whats it's supposed to go for, WOW!! COULD YOU IMAGINE???? LOL! Instead they want us to hand them control and out money and just "trust them". I'd be more willing to trust some realtor selling ocean front property in Utah.

25-Jun-09
I wonder if the DNR ever reads the items posted on this forum. Perhaps it is time for an organization such as MUCC or MBH to become involved in persuit of this info.

25-Jun-09
They paid MBH no heed on the crossbow issue once minds were made up about the potential revenues for sales of the contraptions, so what makes you think they would be swayed on the DRIP funds issue? ;^)

TL

25-Jun-09

Redeye's Link
Did anyone ask this man?

Contact: Bill Scullon 906-786-2351, ext. 116 Agency: Natural Resources DNR Unveils New Deer Range Improvement Cooperative Funding March 30, 2009

A new cooperative funding program designed to improve deer habitat in the Upper Peninsula has been unveiled by the Department of Natural Resources.

The Deer Habitat Improvement Partnership Initiative is designed to foster cooperative projects between the DNR and non-government organizations that will enhance habitat for white-tailed deer. Money for the projects will be made available from the state's Deer Range Improvement (DRIP) Fund.

DRIP, begun in 1971, is funded by a $1.50 allocation from every deer license sold.

"There are three primary goals: to produce tangible habitat improvement, to build long-term partnerships with sportsmen's clubs or other groups, and to showcase these projects to the public," explained DNR DRIP Coordinator Bill Scullon. "Projects on both private and public lands will be considered."

Organizations, either independent or affiliated with larger groups, which have a formal mission to promote wildlife conservation and/or hunting, will be eligible to apply for funding. Representatives of sportsmen's groups or conservation organizations are encouraged to contact their local wildlife biologists or the DRIP coordinator to help develop acceptable projects.

Proposed projects will be evaluated and competitively scored on a wide range of criteria by a multi-disciplinary selection committee. Application packages are available from Bill Scullon, DNR Escanaba Field Office, 6833 US-2, Gladstone, MI 49837. Interested parties can contact Scullon at (906) 7865-2351, ext. 116, or by e-mail at [email protected].

"Project applications will be due by April 30, so time is of the essence," Scullon said. "We plan to notify successful applicants by May 15, so we may be able to get the ball rolling this spring."

The DNR is committed to the conservation, protection, management, use and enjoyment of the state's natural resources for current and future generations.

Great Lakes, Great Times, Great Outdoors

Copyright © 2009 State of Michigan

25-Jun-09
Cool! Hey it's start I suppose. :^) I'll have to see who is in charge of the DRIP dealy around here. I would love to know whats going on around the forests I hunt. It helps in planning where I want to put stands, etc. One place i scouted last winter is in the process of being clear-cut, so I have to jump to another spot.

26-Jun-09
Can you imagine the drama that would be going on if food plots were allowed on public land? Already you have folks who think they own an area because they hung treestand.

26-Jun-09
.........or took over an existing ground blind as well, Roger. Several years ago I got a nasty comment from a fellow who hauled in corn on state land........right across the road from a standing cornfield. (rolling eyes emoticon)

TL

• Sitka Gear