bowslinger 01-Jul-09
WylieCoyote 01-Jul-09
Sarge 01-Jul-09
bowslinger 02-Jul-09
Sarge 02-Jul-09
bowslinger 03-Jul-09
Sarge 29-Sep-09
30-Jun-09
Anyone have tips on where to start hunting in X1 I ve been drawn for an OCT archery hunt there And never been Any help will be appreciated

01-Jul-09
What archery hunt. Are you talking about the Devils Garden late Archery Hunt (A27)?

01-Jul-09
A3

01-Jul-09
David, My '09 Ca. regs say that A-3 hunt dates are Aug 15 - Sept 6....The rifle hunt for X-1 tag holders is Oct 3-18 but an A-3 tag is not valid during that hunt.

I don't think I can be mis-reading this???

Joe

01-Jul-09
Is it X-1 or A-3. Either one you are in the same zone. I surveyed most of the forest service roads in X-1 back in the 60's. Hunted that area since 53. It used to be the very best hunting in California. The F&G department destroyed it with over tagging the zone for over 20 years. Now the tags are down to a substaining level, but the deer are gone. Each of the last two times that I hunted X-1 (A-3)we only saw one forked horn the whole season. (both times they ended up in my freezer) You can go from easy hunting to very rugged boot eating hunting. If you are in the A-3 hunt then you have to fight the general public for campsites. Medicine Lake is the central focal point of X-1 and if you are near the lake, take your fishing pole and enjoy some fresh fried trout. X-1 used to include the zones now listed as C-1 and C-2. Fisk Ridge would be a good area to hunt on opening weekend. It has 20 year old plantations on the south side and slight timber on the top. The deer feed at night and move into the timber at daybreak. Good areas to set up an ambush. If it is dry (as it usually is) spot and stalk will be real rough. A lot of brush iln X-1 and the deer stay deep inside of it. Early mornings and late evenings is your best chance at any close shots. Unless you have the manpower to set up a drive, the deer just do not move during the day. No pressure, except for the lions. Last time I hunted there, we saw way more lion sign than deer sign. All of the water guzzlers had lion tracks around them. Get a map and then PM me and we can get together on the land line and I will point out someother possible good spots not known to most folks.

Sarge

02-Jul-09
Thanks ALOT Im putting a map together . The tag says A3 Archery Hunt in Zone X1 and the dates are Aug 15 - Sept 6 I dont know where I got the OCT from Thanks again As soon as I get the Map together Ill PM you My Backroads explorer isnt loading right gotta call tech support

02-Jul-09
Some good friends from here in Redding also drew A3. Maybe you will all meet on the road. Of course, neither of you will realize that you both know the famous Old Fart of Northern California. The best maps are Forest Service maps of Klamath and Modoc forests. The Medicine lake area is in Klamath, but administered by the Modoc forest.

Sarge

03-Jul-09
I ve been looking at them and printing what I can around medicine Lake Ill let ya know when I get em together and you can give a youngun a little advice

29-Sep-09
Sooo ! ! ! ! How did the season go?

• Sitka Gear