C.Beck 24-Jul-09
Buckstopshere 24-Jul-09
Big J 24-Jul-09
C.Beck 24-Jul-09
Chevy 21-Sep-09
Peepin Tom 21-Sep-09
sacco 21-Sep-09
06-Jul-09
Hope you all have started shooting your bows and shaking off the rust by now! This year Ive read something in the sportsmans newspaper that they are considering an 0ct 1 start date for the northern and southern zones, which would be pretty sweet IMO. As for now the dec website states: Northern Zone BOW: Sept. 27 - Oct. 23 Southern Zone BOW: Oct. 17 - Nov. 20 BOW: Dec. 14 - Dec. 22

Lets just all hold our breath and hope for an oct. 1 start sometime in the near future. At least this year we have an extra week before gun opens up!

06-Jul-09
An October 1st opener in the southern zone would be great. I was planning on going to Ohio for the last week of September and the first week of October. If we have an October 1st opener, I'll go to Ohio for their bow opener and then come home for ours.

06-Jul-09
It's long overdue and would soften the 09 fee increases.....Tom

06-Jul-09
The state would be wise to insitute an early opener, hunting sales would certainly be a welcome revenue to the state in taxes imposed on our purchases...after all, where will they get the money for those good for nothins in the senate?

I would welcome an early opener.

06-Jul-09
Its about time!!! I wont get my hopes up though.

07-Jul-09
Could'nt disagree more.Living on Long Island,our season has been opening on October 1st for about 5 years or so.I for one would like the DEC to change it back to November 1st.The Hunting was much better.Now,by the time we get to November,alot of the good hunting areas are trampled.Now im not saying its impossible to shoot a nice deer,but the chances were alot higher back then. Any big mature buck rarely shows itself in the day time.And trying to pattern the does is very difficult.See letting guys into the woods to hunt deer when deer are stil in there late summer feeding patterns just completely screws it up.We spend all winter,and summer patterning deer,then you have guys setting up in the winter bedding areas{because they did'nt due there homework,and don't actually realize there setting up in a bedding area}in october.They can never figure out why they don't see deer. By the time November rolls around you will see all the spikes,4 pointers,and occasional 6 pointers you can handle,but the big boys only move at night.At this point, If the DEC insist on an October 1st start,at least let us use spotlights...... that was a joke by the way..Bring back the November 1st opener.

07-Jul-09
Thread was about UPSTATE opening dates I believe, I don't think you would be against it Slim if L.I. bow season was only 4 weeks long (like last season was for bowhunters upstate).....Tom

07-Jul-09
t zeek i could totally see where your coming from.i also see alot of guys on here that say then don't see alot of deer,that deer density is an issue upstate.maybe you start pushing deer around in october and it just kills it.you have a Bow season run through october,i can't imagine what the gun season will be like.

07-Jul-09
Slim, you really make some valid points for us Long Islanders. But if we moved it to NOV. 1st, I still think the older bucks would be reclusive. I a few short days from the massive amounts of pressure down here, I think they would still be nocturnal in a short time. I for one want "Earn a buck" Take a doe, then a buck. I wouuld like to see the opener on Oct. 1st for the guys upstate. 4 weeks is short!

Just thoughts !

07-Jul-09
My prediction is that a lot more bucks will be shot, not just because the season is longer, but because the bachelor groups are still tight in early October and whitetails are much more predictable coming out to feed in the late afternoon, and bedding together.

As October rolls along, the bucks start putting space between each other and the miles on.

'Course that timing depends on the moon. ;0)

But this year, since the rut will be later than it was last year, the bachelor groups for the most part will hold together later than last year.

I watched a small bachelor group this morning with three nice eights (in velvet of course.) Had my binos on them the whole time. A small four-pointer kept trying to hang with them but was chased off by one of the eight pointers as they moved through three fields.

It reminded me of when we were kids and had a gang and if a smaller kid wanted to hang with us, we would pick on him.

I wonder if that bachelor group behavior has been noticed by any of you guys (pecking order?)

Just a thought: maybe that's why yearling bucks are so nomadic, they want to find a "posse" but keep getting driven out by "the enforcer" in the established bachelor group?

07-Jul-09
your right 4 weeks is not enough time.could you elaborate on "earn a buck"take a doe?

07-Jul-09
Before a buck is harvested, you must shoot and tag a doe. My thoughts are as follows;

Shoot more does, balance out the herd a bit more, have a chance at a real rut where the bucks have to travel to find another doe to breed, ( not every 100 yards ! :) lol ! )

Seems like the doe population is way up here on the island.

07-Jul-09
Rich, i couldn't agree more... my spot is one of my customers that owns a nursery.it just gets hammered by does. i mean hammered. i have seen as many as 25 does in one sitting on this spot. so last season i had my eyes on a big 8 point that was hitting this spot. had my chance at him a few times, to no avail. but all was not lost. i took quite a few does off the property as well. i dont think that i made to much of a difference, but if i keep concentrating on taking my fair share each year. then im sure i will see more bucks coming through... between all of my doe tags and the ones my father signs over to me, i'm aloud to take a hefty amount... freezer was full last year.

09-Jul-09
Elkhunter, Now why would you want an extra two weeks to "hunt"? The way I see it you would only have extra time to; Miss more deer, loose more arrows, oversleep more mornings, and Oh God, fourteen more days to call me and tell me about all the tresspassers on your property! I couldn't take it! I may have to call the DEC and vote against the Oct. 1st opener. LOL Arrowsmith

09-Jul-09
arrowsmith..now i don't know elkhunter,but thats funny.Haaaaaaaa!!!!!!

09-Jul-09
YOU GUYS ARE GREAT ENTERTAINMENT LOL !!!

10-Jul-09
It is my understanding that there will be some things attached to this as well. First, I believe that this will be a 2010 proposition.

I also understand that this will have an early (Sept) doe only muzzleloader season attached, along with Cross Bows.

That is what is buzzing around the Southern Tier. HAs anyone else heard this?

10-Jul-09
John: Nah, I haven't heard anything, just rumors, blogs and wishful or fearful thinking.

In these difficult economic times, I would think a state agency like the DEC, under tremendous budgetary pressure would be hesitant to initiate anything new and and costly, (new regs and enforcement, and study) especially if it was controversial (i.e. the recent and shot-down statewide AR trial balloon.)

Was it common sense or what that nixed the mandatory, statewide AR proposal? (thankfully!)A safe guess would be that it had a lot to do with finances.

10-Jul-09
Buy your license before October and avoid the increase for a year!

10-Jul-09
Buy your license before October and avoid the increase for a year!

10-Jul-09
Oops--not only did I put the message in twice, I am now confused as there are 2 different statements on the DEC website-- apparently the increase will start on August 17.

10-Jul-09
I have heard the same thing as Big J. Also, I hear that there will be county meetings this September and October. Very bad timing in my opinion. From talking to DEC a few months ago, there is a push for October 1 archery opener, muzzleloader season in Sept, and introduction of the crossbow. In my opinion, we can't put this much pressure on the resource. We all know that there are not as many deer as DEC says there are. That's not even debatable anymore. If some of the above changes are implemented( I vote only for the Oct 1 archery opener), then the gun season has to be shortened. It's way to long as it is now. I know of no other state in the country that has as many gun hunters as we have as long of a season as we have.

11-Jul-09
Only IN NY, I purchased a lifetime lic to reduce my costs due to the ioncrease in fee's this year. Guess what, the life time lic does not include your archery tags, that fee will go to $20 this year.

I support a Oct 1 opening for deer in all areas of NY

I do not support cross bows

I do not support BP special season in September

I would also like to see the gun season to just a two week period.

I would also like the amount of deer you can take is One buck per person, you choose what you want to hunt with but you sure should not get a tag for each. ANd only does if the area has to many doe's, make it more than one hunter on a doe permit like it used to me unless you are a land owner etc.

I also do not like that someone can sign over tags to someone else. Had a hunt group from LI, that got all there friends to sign off tags for the upstate area were then never even planned to hunt so this hunting club could come into the area with over 20 tags signed over toi them. Brown was down from 40 lbs fawns and up.

Why does the DEc never go to online survey that are requiored to get new lic each year that would help them understand the amount of deer taken and what the hunters had found in there area from the prior season. the quewsts could be very simple such as:

did you hunt the prio season if yest go on to other question if no your all done.

what area did you hunt, how many days, how many total deer did you see in your hunt days, did you take a deer, if yes what was the deer, buck ( how many points, doe.

The dec system them would allow you to purchase your lic for the new year season. Data would be real and DEC could fine tune the amount of doe permits to a area.

Bill

11-Jul-09
Bill,

Not sure why you didn't by the lifetime archery license as well. I have a lifetime Sportsman, muzzleloader and archery, and glad I bought them!

11-Jul-09
Arrowsmith, congratulations on the favorable outcome of your parole board hearing. (I told you it was a goat and "not" a piebald). Is it true you will be able to bowhunt this year because Hoyt bows are not considered "deadly" weapons? By the way, I caught 2 tresspassers fishing at my pond today.

11-Jul-09
I paid 50 bucks for my lifetime lic at 68 and they said it would cost me I think it was $200 more for the bow....now at 20 that means I wiuld have to be another 10 years of bow hunting...I do not think I will see be bow hutning at 78...

12-Jul-09
let's hope you are! I'm sure you'll gladly pay the license fee....I know I would!

12-Jul-09
Elkmisser, er, a, I mean hunter. Oh contrare mon frare (Ya know, polish lol). I was the legal eagle at the parole board hearing, and for your information, the parolee was hunting on your property for the elusive huge whitetail bucks you always seem to conjur up, but after 20 years of seeing and hearing nothing but the neighbors dogs he had forgotten what a deer looked like and when the goat came along, well, ya know after 20 years it did look like a deer and the judge agreed with him. As for the tresspassers at your ponds, we know they were the neighbors that you get along so famously with. I would suggest you sell that log home to me at a cheap price so that I can become president of your homeowners association and get things under control since you seem to be having a problem getting it done. Yours in archery, the supreme hunter, arrowsmith PS if you ever want to see a deer check out the trail cam site for my pics. If you look close you can see the tripod treestand I stole, I mean borrowed, from your garage last fall. I could let you sit there for a few hundred bucks and your piece of crap corvette convertable (but con't put any scratches in it when you deliver it).

12-Jul-09
DON'T put any scratches in it!!!! oops

13-Jul-09
Bill, I am with you with one exception. I hear allot about the one buck rule, yet the percentage of hunters (look at the entire population) dont kill two bucks. Now if you want to count button bucks towards a buck tag I am all for that!

I hope Campdavid is wrong with what he says, but I fear that it may be the case.

Interesting that he uses the word resource. My fear is that this is a classic case of putting $$$ above the proper management of that resource.

If you need any proof as to how bad that outcome can be look at Kansas. What was once a hot bed for large whitetails now has a heard that is looking more like ours every day!

14-Jul-09
i'm against moving the start date for 1 reason.

one nice thing about ny is bowhunters normally get the best part of the rut for most of the state, most years.

i'll bet my paycheck that w/ an earlier start date, we will lose the end of our season to muzzles or crossbows within a few years, if not immediately

i'm very skeptical that ny will just extend the bow season for free...

15-Jul-09
I agree with Sacco. Archery season has been the red headed step child in the past so don't be foolish and think they are just going to open the season early for free. There will be a trade off and they will try to slip in the crossgun or muzzleloader, probably at the end right before regular season. Let's fight to protect what we have and argue to get back what we lost, i.e. the last weekend before the regular season. we need to push the regular season back out of the rut.

15-Jul-09
You guys are too cynical!

Bowhunters are in the minority, big time - so if there is any pushing to be done, I'm afraid the gun hunters would squash the bowhunters like an ant. Besides, that kind of diatribe is confrontational and creates the exact opposite of its intent.

I'm all for the Oct. 1 opener of archery season - and this is the important part - to better manage the deer herd.

Pressure on the DEC comes in many forms, but one, the 800 lb. gorilla in the room is the vast majority of people in the state who could care less if we hunt or not - that is until cute little Bambi grows up and becomes their hood ornament on their evening commute home from work.

Bottom line: If archers can be shown to be effective managers of the herd, (by harvesting more deer) then the DEC may consider shortening the gun season because from a DEC perspective its all about keeping the deer herd under control, and bowhunters must do better at demonstrating success.

Game managers primarily look at results, certainly not which hunting weapon we happen to prefer or is in fashion at any moment in time.

Managing hunting is a balancing act, and one that is difficult to tune. Look at Pa. They acted like Wally World price cutting, and after saying "yes" to the crossbow - rolled back the crossbow season last week to allow crossbows only in the first two weeks of the bow season!

And what was the real reason for the flipflop? Who knows? Was it politics, or was their some cautionary flags being raised by sane and logical voices in the Pa. Game Commission?

One - just one possible reason for "the Pa. rollback" might be that the crossbow will take away from gun hunting success by:

1. shooting more deer, and therefore fewer deer out there translates to a big drop in success during the regular guns season. 2. hunters picking up the crossbow spend their vacation time then, and not with a gun. Again, fewer deer taken during the gun season and overall.

3. with fewer deer, gun hunter satisfaction drops, hunter recruitment drops, and overall dissatisfaction - call it the "grumble factor" reaches deafening proportions from the deer hunters. And it is pretty bad right now in Pa.

New York will move much more cautiously, watching Pa. and N.J. make their mistakes first.

Actually, I think we as archers NEED an Oct. 1 opener to prove that we are a bonafide management tool.

In the last few years, deer hunters in New York state killed about 1/4 million deer. That's nearly 225,000 whitetails.

How many do bowhunters in NY successfully tag a deer annually? Only about 30,000. And muzzleloaders? About half of the bowhunter take. In 2007 it was a record take of just 17,000.

So if we were to vote by percentage of success in the field - killing deer (i.e. effective deer management tools) - let's see, the bowhunters would be 13% and the muzzleloaders 7% and the gunhunters - 80%.

We need a longer season to prove that we can better manage the deer herd and increase overall hunter and non-hunter satisfaction with NYS deer management program.

15-Jul-09
cynical, skeptical- tomAtoe tomAHtoe! call it what you want

there's simply no way ny will extend the bowseason 2 more weeks without taking something in return. no way, no how.

15-Jul-09
Earlier opener = more HUNTING time....... no matter what weapon you choose!

16-Jul-09
Cbeck, why sacrafice quantity for quality? I'll take a shorter pure archery season over a watered down extended mixed season any day.

17-Jul-09
As far as Im concerned....... anytime spent hunting IS QUALITY TIME!!! I know a guy that doesnt set foot in the woods until November..... He hunts on my sister in laws farm. He doesnt hunt until its "primetime". We were sharing info about the deer on the farm when he asked what I have been seeing over there all summer....... I had been seeing a nice 8 point and got some pictures too. He asked me where I said its too late my buddy Pat shot him OPENING DAY! Oct 1st......... if your not out there you cant get em! Just my 2 cents......

17-Jul-09
"The early bird gets the worm,...or deer in this case.

To me, being out there is what it is all about. Yeah, pulling the trigger (releasing the arrow) is the climax, but I enjoy the whole ride.

And I like a nice long, long ride. ;0)

18-Jul-09
To me this is a no brainer guys, Oct. 1st opener means more bowhunting days, in nicer weather, prettier scenery, and more time spent with my friends. It is more in line with opening dates in other states, and even units within our own state. Why should we have to wait this long to bowhunt in NY ???......Tom

18-Jul-09
it will be an earlier START to a bowhunting season with a muzzleloading orange army either in the middle of the bowseason or during the rut at the end of the bow season.

so our bow season will be cut in half by muzzleloaders, but hey, at least we'll be able to hunt in the 60 degree first week of october. hurray for us.

20-Jul-09
Conspiracy theories dont scare me!!!!

20-Jul-09
conspiracy theory?

c/p from the E-A-B thread:

Among the items that could be proposed are an earlier opener to the archery season, as well as an early muzzleloader season.

The earlier kickoff to the Southern Zone archery season - New York Bowhunters is pushing for an Oct. 1 start - has been swirling among sportsmen already. And the early muzzleloader proposal may be similar to one that was widely opposed by hunters late in 2004 and ultimately scrapped.

But Hurst says DEC is looking at ways to achieve the desired antlerless deer harvest without doling out so many deer management permits to allow for low success rates in many wildlife management units.

“DMPs are our primary management tool in the Southern Zone, but success rates on DMPs run about 18-20 percent, and in some cases less than 10 percent,” he said. “So we have to issue a lot of permits. We'll talk about different options that will let us get the antlerless harvest that we need. There can be different ways of doing that, including altering opportunities for antlerless seasons.”

Hurst confirmed that an Oct. 1 archery opener in the Southern Zone “may be on the table,” as well as an early muzzleloader season. “That would also enhance the harvest,” he said.

20-Jul-09
am i the only one that remembers the early bow start and early muzzle season proposal from just a couple years ago?

i find it astonishing that the proposal was slammed by most bowhunters on this site, and now everyone seems to be jumping for joy about it.

20-Jul-09
I seem to recall that proposal never mentioned an Oct. 1st opening,( but I think Oct. 10th? correct me if I'm wrong guys ) It also included an antlerless 5 day MZ hunt right in the MIDDLE of the bow season, along with losing the last 2 days to gun season. No wonder most guys were against it !!!

This is giving us 17 more days right off the bat, but of course we all would want to see what their "final" plan is before we embrace it. I might get more/less excited about it then.

On one hunting show last week Tom Miranda (who's a pretty fair bowhunter) said

"The best chance to take a trophy w/tail buck is either very early in the season or very late during the rut."

Our bow camp of 35+ yrs has found that to be true. 4 out of 6 p&y were taken in the first week, while 2 were taken at the end of bow season. Last season the 2 best mature bucks were taken in the first 9 days of the season. I love to bowhunt the rut like everyone else but you can have success early also.

Lastly I have enjoyed learning/sharing my bowhunting passion for several yrs now on this site. I have found others here who share their knowledge and passion also. I suspect they are very good bowhunters. That's why I am suprised to see some who are posting take the "attitude" that they are the only "true believers" and should "talk down" sarcastically to anyone who disagrees with their position. Perhaps they don't realize they are doing it, but I believe doing that does not help anyone to embrace their position, but rather dismiss it.......Tom

21-Jul-09
I am all for an early start to the bow season, like Oct. 1, or the first Saturday in October, whatever.

Back a few years ago, the DEC had floated a trial balloon trying to put an early 'loader season in the bow season, right? And it was met with such negativity, that it was shelved.

The statewide AR proposal that was just shot down due to negativity, according to the DEC spokespeople reached a certain threshold or level.

I am not for any "trade" of early bow for a mid-season black powder, or whatever that earlier proposal was...but if the DEC wants more deer taken, without a lot of controversy, then they should just open the bow season early, straight up.

You have to admit that they were sensitive to the sportsman's interest in the AR debate, and the mid-season 'loader proposal. Right?

So why would the early bow process be any different?

Let's not be foolish and throw away an opportunity to expand our season, like it should have been all along, because we were afraid.

22-Jul-09
If an early seasaon "doe only" muzzleloader season is ok'd, my biggest concern will be the poaching of mature bucks. Everyone and their brother will be out there for starters. In addition, we all know how patternable the mature bucks are early on, often times routinely visible. The notion that people will let them pass while they wait for a doe is laughable.

22-Jul-09
The DEC needs to protect the gun season if it wants to keep its harvest-success rate up.

If the success rate drops any lower during the regular shotgun-rifle season, recruitment will go down the tubes. And if that happens, the DEC's management metrics are out the window - whether you agree with them or not.

While on the surface, one might think that an early 'loader season would result in more deer being killed, but the notion is actually counter-intuitive.

A large part of the reason up to 80% of the annual take is on the first day is because the deer are not spooked.

Put a 'loader season in front of the regular season and the take will drop 50%. Whitetails will have fled to safety zones on posted property and on the edges of towns and villages, and learned to hunker down.

Just listen to the shooting on opening day. Here, in Allegany County, the shooting peaks about an hour after first light, and then the shooting tails off because the deer reach safety areas and quit running.

I don't think the DEC will risk it, at this stage of the game. And I agree with Alltherage and the shooting of not only illegal bucks, but there will be another negative consequence, a lot of bruised landowners feelings who will have one more excuse to close down their land to hunting deer.

I know a few landowners who are right on the edge to closing their lands to hunting. And I can just hear them say, "Enough is enough! Enough shooting on my property with guns!"

One of the reason bowhunting is tolerated is because it is quiet and benign. Pickups full of hunters with in-lines that look like rifles is another story.

(And I hunt with a 'loader too!)

I don't think the DEC will move rashly in these times.

22-Jul-09
I dont know about you guys but, opening day of gun in Orange county is DEAD quiet!!! Where are all these GUN hunters? WHO CARES if they do open up an early MZ season just before regular gun season???? Doe only is stupid.... Also you can bowhunt during ANY season....... so we all get to enjoy that time in the woods. And yes I would like to see EXACTLY what they are proposing before I vote yes.

22-Jul-09
The DEC wants the herd thinned out and they dont believe bowhunters can do it alone. There has to be an answer to the exploding doe population here on Long Island as well.

I agree with Rage and Buckstopshere.

An early Bow season would help get the numbers up, but there has to be a way to get the doe harvest up without an earn a buck regulation or the illegal tacking of bucks.

I for one try to take a few does here on Long Island each year. Maybe we can help the issue with out the DEC and fill as many doe tags when we can. Plus, it will absoultly help with the rut in certain areas.

After all, ultimately, hunting will be the answer.

22-Jul-09
i guess i'll agree to disagree on this one.

if i sound elitist and anti-muzzle/gun i apologize. for the record i also hunt with a rifle, but the peacefulness and excitement of hunting unpressured deer during bow season is pretty sacred to me.

i guess the issue keeps coming back to trusting the dec to give 2 more weeks to the bow season w/out adding a muzzle season like before. you guys have much more confidence in the dec than me.

24-Jul-09
sacco- not at all...... every area is different. If my opening day was bombarded with the sounds of gunshots then I would probably feel the same way as you, alot of guys I talk to seem to think it has really died down with hunter numbers dwindling. I can remember opening day having a steady stream of gunfire from well before legal shooting time to about 7;30 and tapering off to a stop at about 9am. The lasy few years...... very few shots. In my area.

24-Jul-09
Every year I do a count of how many shots I hear on Opening Day.

Some years when I am down in a hollow, I don't hear as many. And when up on a high ridge, then it sounds like there is a lot more shooting, from every direction.

The first shot is during pitch dark. Then as the light comes on, the rate starts picking up.

The last shots are in the dark, well after shooting light.

'Course it depends on the year, but usually I hear about 100 shots before 7:15.

If it is rainy and dark, like last year, then things don't get rolling until a little later in the morning.

But there is a definite crescendo to it, then the sounds of shooting tails off. Some years, here in Allegany County - 500 to 1,000 shots before 9 am.

24-Jul-09
Here is what bothers me about this. In my area (9x) opening day has become almost dead silent. The question that I have is this. Do we realy have a deer population problem? I am sure that there are areas that are expeiencing this, but 9x certainly isnt one of them, but now we are going to have an early muzzleloader season. For what?

Sacco, I agree with you, my archery season is sacred to me as well, but sound management should be what rules the day and I dont see that as being the case with an early muzzleloader season.

24-Jul-09
Last year I went to Ohio for their opening day of gun season and it reminded me of how it used to be here! SO MANY shots!!! It was surreal!

21-Sep-09
I hate to say I told you so, but.......

You asked for an early opening day for archery(10/1) and now it looks like the last week of archery season is under attack AGAIN.

To me, the best part of archery season is the last weekend in November. You can keep 10/1 if you ask me.

21-Sep-09
Why not a 10/1 muzzle opener for doe only and a 10/8 bow opener? Not that many folks pack the powder so it won't truly effect the deer movement and if it was doe only the big boys would still be available (barring any poachers). You could still keep the duel late season for those with left over tags that still want a chance at a black powder buck. If I was able to get in the woods with the ML a week before the bow season it would also help me get an eye on the buck movement in my area. I do have to agree with the extra fee thinking, no way NYS gives us outdoorspersons more time without putting their hands in our bibs.

21-Sep-09
i think you and i were about the only ones chevy...

• Sitka Gear