Jeff in MN 16-Sep-09
Rustywreck 16-Sep-09
NovemberMadman 16-Sep-09
Jeff in MN 16-Sep-09
wisconsinteacher 16-Sep-09
Storm 16-Sep-09
RandBow 17-Sep-09
16-Sep-09
Surprised this hasn't been posted here yet.

-------------

Huge, 658 pound black bear shot by woman school teacher in Wisconsin.

What will probably be the largest black bear shot either in Minnesota or Wisconsin this fall was taken last weekend by Rhonda Anderson of Serona, Wis., a fourth-grade school teacher. The animal weighed 658 pounds live weight, 564 dressed.

Anderson was in a four-person party that included her husband, Brian. They were hunting behind three Walker hounds and a Plott hound when the youngest canine in the bunch, a mere 6 months old, got on the hot trail of the big bear, finding it in a corn field while the hunters and other dogs took a break.

"We really just let the young dog out to stretch his legs,'' said Cody Fankhauser of Cumberland, Wis. Also in the group was Rich Einum of Rice Lake, Wis.

Each is an avid bear hunter, and has chased bruins many times in past years. But this is the biggest bear they've encountered.

Anderson's bear green-scored 21 10/16 at a taxidermist on Monday (scorers don't reduce the fractions). The Wisconsin state record i! s 22 12/16. That bear was taken in 2002 in Washburn County.

Anderson's bear was shot in Barren County, in the general vicinity of Cumberland.

The Wisconsin DNR doesn't keep records of bears or other animals taken by hunters. But Linda Olver of the agency said Monday that wildlife managers rarely see bears in Wisconsin that field-dress over 500 pounds.

A bear reportedly weighing about 700 pounds was killed by a farmers' combine last fall near Menomonie, Wis. But later investigation found that the animal had been shot and wounded illegally by an unknown poacher before it was hit by the combine.

Though black bears are abundant in Wisconsin — the state issued 57 percent more permits this fall, for a total of 7,310 — hunting so far has been slow, Fankhauser said.

"It's been too dry and hot,'' he said.

Wisconsin alternates between letting bear hunters with dogs enjoy the first week of the season, with those who prefer to sit in stands! over bait. This year when the season opened Sept. 9, the dog ! hunters had first crack. Next year, hunters who sit over bait will get to hunt the first week without dog hunters also being in the field.

After the dogs picked up the bear's scent, they ran the animal into and beyond a small lake, where it climbed a tree.

"I've never seen a bear that big climb a tree,'' Fankhauser said.

Anderson shot the bear through the neck, killing it instantly.

The hunters then dragged it to a nearby stream, and floated it about a quarter-mile to a road and their awaiting pickup truck.

Bear hunters in Wisconsin are required to register their kills. When they do a tooth is extracted to determine the animal's age.

Olver said she doubts the bear will be found to be real old because old bears have difficulty keeping weight on. Genetics and the quality of available food would determine the bear's size, she said.

Anderson is having a full mount done of her trophy bear.

"We've been running our dogs, training them! since mid-July,'' she said. "My husband has shot bears before, but I never have.''

Anderson added, "I'll have something to tell my students.''

16-Sep-09
as i read this story and read that a teacher from wisconsin had shot a huge bear my first thought was that "wisconsinteacher" had struck gold with his bear hunt. I was a little dissapointed to read later that it was a different teacher.

wisconsinteacher, the grading curve has now been raised to 658 pounds. fortunately this is more of a pass/fail grading system.

16-Sep-09
Rusty, That's a good one! Can't wait for his response. That's a huge bear though no matter who shot it.

16-Sep-09
Interesting thing is that a woman shot a monster around that same area last year. At first I thought this might have been an old report but I think it is current.

16-Sep-09
Cumberland is only 20 minutes from my place and the lady from last year is from the same town I live in. I am very proud of my bear, but man I would love to see something that huge. I am happy she has a great story for her class. Maybe when my wife who is a teacher also gets a tag, she will be the lucky lady from Barron Co. and kill a monster bear.

16-Sep-09
Was the bear shot or arrowed?

17-Sep-09
I believe you meant "Sarona" Jeff. I have friends there from the old days up home. Used to hunt just south and east of there.

Tom

• Sitka Gear