Outbackbob48 07-Dec-09
Outbackbob48 07-Dec-09
archerynut 07-Dec-09
Outbackbob48 07-Dec-09
Paddyj 08-Dec-09
06-Oct-09

Outbackbob48's embedded Photo
Made a new head on Sunday seeing as were not allowed to hunt,dang blue laws. Hope ya like it.

06-Oct-09
How sharp can you make those and how do you sharpen them? I like the old school look and would like to ry to use them someday.

06-Oct-09
It's beautiful, Bob!

06-Oct-09
Wow, that is nice. Good job.

06-Oct-09
Archerynut, Check out the bandaid in the pic, ohh they are sharp. You sharpen them by pushing flakes off with a copper nail or a deer antler. Obsidian is one of the sharpest materials known to man before lazer surgery. Supposedly less than one molcule in thickness, I,m a carpenter so that measurment is all greek to me. Thanks for looking, Later Bob

06-Oct-09
A true work of art...

That's talent right there.

06-Oct-09
Not recently, but I've made a few... enough, at least, to know what it took to get a head of that quality.

Nice work.

And yep, some loss of blood is expected.

06-Oct-09
Pretty!

06-Oct-09
VERY nice! :)

07-Oct-09
WOW, that is really cool looking. Great job!!

07-Oct-09
That's too pretty to hunt w! Man I wish I had your patience, that's awesome.

07-Oct-09

Hey Hunt Chef, If you think thats purty let me pimp it up a little with some backlight:>}

08-Oct-09
How about a side view? How thin is it?

08-Oct-09
nice work

08-Oct-09
There is just something special about a flint-knapped head! :)

08-Oct-09
Even better! A level of craftsmanship I only have w food....

08-Oct-09
Nice, is it just a coincidence it's the same color as a beer bottle?

08-Oct-09

Jeff, I don,t have a side veiw picture, I went an measured it an it s not the thinnest point, Just under 3/8". Here's a pic of the nodule it came off from. Later Bob

08-Oct-09
DFA, Bottle bottoms make nice points if theres not to much concave stuff to work out. I,ve seen some real pretty ones made out of Jaegermister bottoms, an I know a man who killed a deer with a Aunt Jemmia Point. Just a dead as any modern point. Bob

06-Dec-09
You would make the indians proud! very nice thats a true work of art.

07-Dec-09
very nice indeed. Awesome looking.

07-Dec-09
Nice. I've always wanted to try that. I even collected a bunch of glass to start with. We don't have much obsidian or even flint around here, but we have a bunch of old dump sites from the 30's to the 50's. At one of my favorite hunting spots on game land I have to walk through one, there is always a new layer of old glass showing. Brown, blue, green, red and white. Perfect for arrow heads...now all I gots ta do is invest heavily in band-aids and I'll be ready to give it a try!

Archerynut, those flint, obsidian and glass heads if done correctly can be much sharper than any steel head made. They use obsidian to make scalpels for eye surgery. As far as I know the only problem I've heard about them is they can break pretty easily when hitting bone.

Has anyone here taken game with a stone point?

07-Dec-09

Spider1, Here,s one I made out of some stain window glass an I know a guy in Tenn. that killed a spike buck with one made out of a Aunt Jemmia bottle.

Bob

07-Dec-09

07-Dec-09
Those are freakin awsome nd a true work of art.

07-Dec-09

Thanks Guys, but your making my hats fit kinda tight.:>} Actually glass isn,t that hard to make points out of because it usually thin to begin with. I,m talkin window an bottle type glass not chunks. I,d rather knap on flint nodules or obsidian nodules than thin plate glass, but bottle bottoms an window type glass are cheap an easy to acquire compared to good stone. Later an Thanks for looking. Bob( Here,s a Bicardas rum bottle I did a while back)

08-Dec-09
Wow, very cool!! Patience and a steady hand thats for sure.

• Sitka Gear