Jeff Durnell 08-Dec-09
Outbackbob48 08-Dec-09
Outbackbob48 08-Dec-09
Outbackbob48 08-Dec-09
Outbackbob48 08-Dec-09
Outbackbob48 08-Dec-09
Dale Hajas 08-Dec-09
07-Dec-09
I'm workin on a couple arrahs and I want to make one with a trade point which I also plan on making.

Thanks

08-Dec-09
Dale, whats a trade point? Bill V.

08-Dec-09
I made some out of steel strapping. They were only 1/32" thick and pretty light. I have a few tablesaw blades that are about 3/32 thick like Roys that I saved to try and make some out of. It'll be a little experimenting until I find the size that comes out right weight wise.

Bill, back in the 19th century the Fur companies punched out a flat steel arrow point for the trappers to use for trade to the Indians for furs. They were called trade points.

08-Dec-09
Yeah, and when the Indians quit using flint and went to the steel trade points, RC was right there makin' fun of them, saying how they're not really shooting traditional any more. :^)

Spider, your idea of the table saw blades sounds really good. When you get around to making them, post a coupla pics and your opinion of the results. I'd be interested in seeing how they turn out.

08-Dec-09

Jeff Durnell's embedded Photo
Jeff Durnell's embedded Photo
Dale, the one's I made by pounding grade 5 bolts flat and grinding to shape are .050 - .055 thick.

They're very strong, not brittle, need no tempering or hardening and are 1 1/8" wide, and weigh 125 grains.

08-Dec-09
I recieved some bone points in a trade an they are 3/32 an are really sharp an artsy to boot. See if I can get a pic of them. Later Bob

08-Dec-09
Jeff, Man those are awesome, right wt. an really look fuctional.

08-Dec-09

Outbackbob48's embedded Photo

08-Dec-09
Opps wrong pics, how do I delete

08-Dec-09

hope this is the right one

08-Dec-09
I have made points from my dogs soup bones, he dont like me too much anymore. Between string nocks and bone points... well he hides his bones now~(8o)

I was quite surprised just how incredibly sharp bone points can be.

Thanks guys!

• Sitka Gear