bowman 31-Jan-10
Mike in CT 31-Jan-10
bowman 31-Jan-10
Brian M. 31-Jan-10
MikeLeone 01-Feb-10
CWD 01-Feb-10
bowman 01-Feb-10
29-Jan-10
I hunt private land in Hartford County. Is it legal to plant any type of food plots and then bownunt over or around them? No farming is taking place on any of this land I hunt. And these plots also would not be large, my thoughts would be to plant on the long wide trails that go past my stands and to also have a small plot area, maybe 100 feet long by 30 feet wide. Also if hunting over them is not legal would it then be legal to still have a food plot in an area I would not be hunting.

29-Jan-10
If you can hunt acorns I would say you can have a food plot .

30-Jan-10
I think you need to hire a lawyer to know for sure. You can hunt near apple trees, but not drop apples. Hunt near a corn field but can't drop corn. Food plots? good question.

30-Jan-10
Mike do you mean dumped apples? droped apples under a apple tree should be fine .

30-Jan-10
From CT Regs "All types of scent attractants (i.e., doe in heat, buck lure, urine, tarsal glands, food smells, smoke pole) that provide no substance for deer to consume."

"Hunting over planted fields where normal agricultural planting, harvesting, or post-harvest manipulation is used."

Basicly putting down "bait" or providing food is a no go in CT except for zone 11 and 12 as noted in the regs.

30-Jan-10
Ok...CTShooter, I understand you can't put down bait (dumping apples or corn) and hunt over it.

What I don't quite understand is the phrase as you listed from the DEP Regs......"Hunting over planted fields where normal agricultural planting, harvesting, or post-harvest manipulation is used."

Does that mean that I CAN NOT plant a food plot... then hunt near it BECAUSE it is not a normally planted area?? That part is not really clear to me? What about just planting a plot or area and hunting on another piece of the property?

30-Jan-10
Bowman,

In any zone in CT you are legally hunting if you are hunting over normally planted agricultural fields, harvesting or post-harvest manipulation (i.e. hunting over a planted corn field or a harvested field with either some standing corn left or corn left on the ground). Likewise you would be fine hunting in an apple orchard regardless of whether the apples were all in the tree or some were on the ground.

Regarding food plots, they do not meet the criteria listed in the above referenced state guide so they would not be legal unless you were in Zones 11 or 12. The only way 'around' this would be to plant a plot of corn and establish a yearly harvest then begin hunting it the following year.

Hope this helped.

30-Jan-10
What Mike said.

31-Jan-10
I'm curious as to know why a food plot, whether it's clover or anything else, is NOT an agricultural planting. If the state was trying to make food plots illegeal you would think they would've stated so in the reg's.

The way I understand the rule is you can't spread corn on the ground and then tell the warden you are planting next years crop. Why would the state imply can't plant clover, but you can plant corn?????

31-Jan-10
CWD,

The distinction lies in what is construed or defined to be 'agriculture'. By definition agriculture consists of crops or produce which can be consumed by humans or would be reasonably expected to provide sustenance for animals raised commercially for produce, either food or for clothing raw materials.

Corn, grains, etc clearly meet this definition. Clover, on the other hand would be a planting designed solely for wildlife and as such would be considered an attractant, and only legal in Zones 11 and 12.

31-Jan-10
Thanks for explaining it Mike, now....what about just planting a food plot or areas of clover, brassicus etc... without hunting "over it" but still hunting elsewher on the property. I mean does the state forbid hunters from even hunting where planted food plots are at all? I would love to have make a couple of plots and bowhunting not over, but within 100 yards or so of them, but I also want to be perfectly legal. Maybe the DEP can answer my questions, anyone know what division or dept., there to contact? I do not think the people at the main office in Htfd would have a clue.

31-Jan-10
Ron,

I think the easiest way around this would be to do the following:

(Assuming you have the acreage)

Plant a food plot or two and ideally, in the spring (so it is established well before hunting season). Once you see deer hitting your plot(s) mark the date on a calendar. If you planted early enough in the spring and the deer start hitting it say, the end of May, early June, by mid-August walk your plots and check for trails.

Follow the more heavily used trails (assuming there's multiple trails) as far as your property allows. Chances are good that at some point you will either pass through or be in an area with either hard mast (oaks, beeches, hickories) or soft mast (crap apples, wild grapes, berries, etc.).

Once you find an area like this look for good stand locations that give good coverage of the heavily used trail(s).

Now obviously the deer are using this trail (or trails) to get to your plots, but the fact is (assuming you locate a 'natural' food source) where you are physically hunting is a naturally occurring food source; legal in any zone in CT.

Ideally you'd like to think hunting far enough away from your plot(s) would be ok but bear in mind, this IS CT and we don't always enjoy a healthy dose of common sense. Better to be safe then sorry.

I hope this helps and best of luck.

31-Jan-10
Thanks Mikeitndoes help. I do not want any legal trouble so doing what you suggested may be the thing. Thanks.

31-Jan-10
Go to this thread, on page 2, there is an EnConn officer that answers this question.

http://www.cthuntingnshooting.com/vBforum/showthread.php?t=2585&highlight=food+plots

01-Feb-10
Mike in CT,

So... then why not dump apples, figure out which way the deer get to them and hunt away from the apple pile? seems the same to me.

01-Feb-10
I asked the food plot question to EnConn over on CTFisherman. He answered the question that it's legal to plant food plots statewide as long as deer have access to them year round. It's the same answer as posted in Brian M.'s post above.

01-Feb-10
Thanks guy's. I now know the correct answer straight from the Captain at ENCON (at the website Brian posted) who responded to the question.

IT IS LEGAL to plant, have and hunt a food plot as long as the deer have access to it throughout the year.

• Sitka Gear