Lynn Wilcox 16-Oct-18
Highlife 17-Oct-18
1boonr 19-Oct-18
Highlife 19-Oct-18
HeadHunter® 20-Oct-18
Lynn Wilcox 20-Oct-18
Monmouth533 02-Nov-18
01-Feb-10
I am looking at going on a whitetail hunt in Calhoun County this fall. I am wonder what the best week for the rut is during Archery season? I am wondering if Nov 14-19 would be the best or is it too late. I realize it is just before the gun season. I don't know if that affects the hunting or not. I will be hunting on both public and private lands.

Typically the rut is the week before that here in Minnesota.

Appreciate your comments.

Jon

01-Feb-10
Calhoun County isn't in Southern IL but the rut is the same here as it is everywhere else. Pick 5 hunters and they will give 5 different answers about what is the best day. The 14th-19 wasn't all that great this year but next year it could be. There is no standard day or magic bullet.

01-Feb-10
If you find out, let me know! The only big buck near me was on the last weekend in January and he stopped behind a tree. He was with 2 does.

01-Feb-10
Saw a big one up on our foodplot yesterday. Now if he just doesn't get crossways with a car....?

01-Feb-10
The rut usaully is in full swing from the 10th to the 17th alot depends on weather and if crops are out. The dates you are wanting to come would be good. some of my largest buck were taken in that time. always hunt from 2pm to dark close to doe bedding areas

01-Feb-10
I guess I thought it was Southern. What would you consider it West Central Ill?

Another option to the hunt could be mid October. Has anyone had much luck at that time?

01-Feb-10
Calhoun county is commonly referred to as West Central Il" and a component of the "Golden Triangle" whatever that is supposed to mean. Maybe they once paned gold from the Mississippi and Illinois Rivers at St Louis. :]

I found the best hunting in 2009 was from 11-1 to 11-10, but that changes from year to year it seems.

I say it this way: "It is what it is".

02-Feb-10
Up here in Northern IL, 11/6-11/12 had been for a long time the peak and if you wanted to extend your season, you'd tack days up until the gun season. In more recent years, it seems that 11/3-11/11 and then it really shuts down in terms of archery buck harvest. I think West Central is maybe a day or 2 later.

I'd pick any 6 days from 11/3-11/19 in November, over the whole month of October, for buck hunting.

02-Feb-10
"Northern Calhoun County has the best 'big buck' population out of all of Calhoun County! The town of Michael north to along Bee Creek (Pike County southern boundry and Calhouns northern boundry)!

Nov.11th till gun season (11-20 or so) usually works for me for bow hunting in the past!

02-Feb-10
FYI...Gun season starts on Nov. 19th this year. Make sure you don't plan that day into your bowhunt. My favorite time falls between the 7th and the 15th. I won't miss that week for anything. Best of luck this upcoming season.

02-Feb-10
My problem is I already have a Minnesota and Wisconsin bowhunt scheduled for those first two weeks in November. My options are to cancel one of them for the Illinois hunt, or go in mid October. We call October the "big Lull". Deer don't move much around here in October. It would be my first time hunting Illinois. A friend has invited down there. I hate to pass up the opportunity. I hear the bowhunting is fantastic. He is around the Kampville area. My friend has a little private land to hunt on and I will also be hunting some public land as well. Maybe I will get lucky and find someone down there while hunting that will give me access to more private land. You never know who you will run into at the local restaurant!

02-Feb-10
I always plan on being in IL at least the last week before the 1st gun season and that has worked out very well for me most years. This year I saw more deer and mature bucks the 12th-16th of Nov then any other time I was up there and that was for 13 days this Nov. I hunted for 7 days before I saw my 1st mature buck in range and then had mature deer around me for the next 5 days in a row, then it got slow again right before the 1st gun weekend.

02-Feb-10
"You never know who you will run into at the local restaurant! "

That would be especially true in Michael. :]

02-Feb-10
Michael must be a blip on the map. Google map says its there barely! I will have to check it out.

02-Feb-10
"You don't know 'til you go."(old southern Illinois proverb) ...and it applies to a lot more than deer hunting. :-)

03-Feb-10
Michael is a blip on the map, just like the rest of the towns in calhoun county, and most of pike for that matter. Also, I wouldn't count on any landowners offering their ground for ya to hunt though...doesn't happen like too often around here anymore.

That week for before gun season should be good. It's hard saying though...I saw more rutting activity in December and January than I did in November this year. I would schedule a late season hunt if I were you. I love the late season.

03-Feb-10
The town of Michael does have a 'tavern'! That's it!

Kampsville has a American Legion / tavern / Saturday night dances. A Bank and a restaurant/bar (good one) and a gas station/restaurant (yuck).

Mosier (on west side) has a 'restaurant' (of sorts) at the 'junction' and south of there towards Hamburg (a rough house bar) The Palace!

No Need to go south of Kampsville really!

Pike County (north to Pittsfield) has good eating places and a Wal-Mart and a few other stores and a archery shop and taxidermy shops.....and a State Police sub-station!

04-Feb-10
I will have to start looking for a cheap motel around Kampville. I don't have the heart to camp in November anymore.

04-Feb-10
"I will have to start looking for a cheap motel around Kampville."

You may have to build it.

05-Feb-10
lmao @ 'speed'!...The American Legion (I heard) bought the old school building in Kampsville....and rent's out 'big dorm rooms' to hunters!....Call The American Legion there in Kampsville! NO HOTEL around! Or, you may find a some what toothless 'gal' in Calhoun/Pike to share a place with........

I heard last year or year before, there was a few up around The McDonalds there in Pittsfield....rumor mind ya....I don't know myself!

05-Feb-10
Headhunter- There are 2 OLD hotels in Pittsfield, then there is us "The Ice House Inn" in Barry. But..."cheap" is not respected too much around here in deer season when all three hotels are full all the time. Deer season is when we adjust for inflation. :] Cheap is more like... staying at home I think.

05-Feb-10
Seems like camping is off some and of course last season hunters got tired of getting wet and went to hotels if they had any space. But at any rate camping spaces are all full in deer season as well. Without a reservation you're screwed and we have sold about 30% of our space for 2010. We're adding one unit that will accommodate six. It has a bar, hot tub, and appliances. Nope...not cheap but great group accommodation in fact. Much better than sleeping in the mud and watching your false teeth float away.

05-Feb-10
I was referring to archery season. Is that really considered peak season for motels? I would think it would be for gun season only.

Anyway I am still in the planning mode. I think I may be able work something out with the guy that has invited me. I may be able to borrow a pop up camper too. As long as it has heat I would be fine.

Most of the time I am either in my tree or sleeping. Not much time or energy for much else. And we call it fun!

05-Feb-10
I was referring to archery season. Is that really considered peak season for motels?

Especially archery season.

15-Oct-18
you cant go wrong with the 11 of November. PROFESSIONAL HUNTER CHRIS CORDELL

15-Oct-18

15-Oct-18

15-Oct-18

buck6666's embedded Photo
this one is walking
buck6666's embedded Photo
this one is walking

buck6666's Link

16-Oct-18
"PROFESSIONAL HUNTER" Haha Haha haha

16-Oct-18

Lynn Wilcox's embedded Photo
Lynn Wilcox's embedded Photo
Just saw this on Facebook. Thought it fit this post now.......8^)

17-Oct-18
Lmao that's funny

19-Oct-18
The rut in southern Illinois happens just prior to when the does are bred and continues until all does are bred. Steve- amateur hunter

19-Oct-18
Now you funny man lmao

20-Oct-18
"speed" ...... Hi John! .... the "Good Old Days" are gone ..... 8*))

20-Oct-18
Been a long time since we saw any post from John, hasn't it been Herm......8^)

Hope your able to get out a little this fall enjoy mother nature......

02-Nov-18
I can help you out with a place to stay depending on dates in hardin.

• Sitka Gear