twigflicker 25-Apr-10
knocontrl 25-Apr-10
twigflicker 26-Apr-10
fullrut 30-Apr-10
Russ Koon 01-May-10
tjs archery 03-Mar-14
knocontrl 27-Mar-14
22-Apr-10
I just purchased my first bow at age 49. My son is 13 and he wanted one for Christmas which he got. We are looking for ranges or archery clubs in the Charlestown, IN area. We have been to Patoka Lake and really like their range, but 150 mile round trip limits us. Hardy lake range is in poor condition and Clark State Forrest no longer has a range. I have been reading through your past forums and thought I would ask for your input. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, Mike

23-Apr-10
My search turned up two possible leads, but I haven't been down that way in several years, so this is almost entirely based on the info from the web.

Harrison County Archery Club....couldn't find a contact number but there's a page on their website for you to contact them by e-mail. They have a schedule listed on their site, and their range is in or near Corydon.

Pine Ridge Bowhunters Club.....Unsure if they have a range, but the info I saw indicated they might. At least they are close by, at 3951 Corydon Pike, New Albany, and have a phone listing, 812-945-8016.

I suspect someone at eiter location would have more leads to local shoots in the area.

23-Apr-10
I shot at the Pine Ridge range several years ago. Good bunch of fellas and nice range.

23-Apr-10
I will try these two. Thank you Russ Koon and DCW.

23-Apr-10
Mike,

The feed store there in Charlestown used to have a small range that they shot indoors... not stopped by in a long time so don't know if they still have it or not...

Harrison County is a 3-D range... lots of guys like to shoot down there... http://hcarcheryclub.com/

Pine Ridge has an outdoor range with butts... set up like an old field range... also have an indoor range that is available to members, etc. they also have 3-D shoots as well... or used to...

Chickasaw Archery in Shepherdsville, KY has both I think as well... http://www.chickasawarchery.com

Our big shop in the area just closed late last year (Chick's Archery)... had an indoor range in it...

There is a shop in Louisville (Field and Stream) that has a small indoor range as well...

Jonathan

24-Apr-10
Jonathan, Thanks for your info. I checked the Feed Store, they closed the range with the coming of Baas Pro Shop. I think they just do bow repairs now. Pine Ridge's phone is busy or off the hook at all hours. I have tried to call for 3 days now. LOL Harrison County Achery Club e-mailed me. They have a monthly 3d shoot but don't have a range? Their next shoot is tomorrow, I will try to check them out. Mike

24-Apr-10
Good bunch of guys at Harrison Co. They will help with anything you need. Are you shooting a compound or traditional? The ITBA is a traditional only club that shoots in Scottsburg. Steve H.

25-Apr-10
You're welcome Mike...

Forgot about the Bass Pro... they have an indoor range as well... don't know how to go about shooting there or what it costs...

Jonathan

25-Apr-10
You're welcome Mike...

Forgot about the Bass Pro... they have an indoor range as well... don't know how to go about shooting there or what it costs...

Jonathan

25-Apr-10
Opppsss...

Sorry about the double clutch!

25-Apr-10
We improvised today and took a two wheel cart and our own target to the Hardy Lake range. It started a light rain the minute we pulled in the parking area. It is better to be wet in the woods than stuck at work so it didn't stop us. My son has a Bear Archery Apprintice compound bow. I have a Martin Warthog compound. The Bass Pro Shop range is free, you have to check in at the Archery Shop which is a hassle when they are busy. It will be a option in real bad weather. My wife has now started looking for a bow for herself.

26-Apr-10
Mike,

Does Charlestown have an ordinance against shooting a bow? I'm down in Jeff and as far as I know we don't... I've set a target in the yard for the last 17 years and shot away... Never had anyone ever question or raise a fuss... it sure saves on gas ;-) although I do on occasion go wander around some different places...

I just remembered Crosley has a range up there at North Vernon... The have several bales set up at specific yardages with a raised platform to shoot from if you desire... some of the excelsor bales were a bit loose in the middle... they also have a sand pit to shoot broadheads in... they used to have a field range as well, but think it went into disrepair... It's behind the main building up there...

Jonathan

30-Apr-10
www.sandcreekarchery.com

01-May-10
I'll second the Sand Creek suggestion. Probably should have mentioned it earlier myself, but thought it was a little farther from Charlestown than it is. Now that I look it up on the map, it appears to be about fifty miles, which would still be quite an improvement over the 150-mile round trip you spoke of.

I've shot there several times. Very good range and nice people. We have a favorite range over near Cloverdale that is a 40-minute drive from my home, and I never miss one of their shoots, so I guess that would be nearly the same travel time as Sand Creek would be for you. It would certainly be worth a few extra minutes drive time, especially if you would like to see an example of a shoot with a little more big-time flavor regarding target setup and rules, while still keeping a friendly local atmosphere.

Something else you might find to be fun is coming to the big IBO shoot at Bedford on the 14th 15th or 16th of this month. It's out at the Lawrence County Fairgrounds south of town a couple miles, near the junction of 37 and 50. I'll probably shoot it on Friday if possible. And I'll probably come in with some miserable score like I have the last several years, but I still get a kick from competing with the best there is on the same stage. It's a morbid fascination with seeing how I stack up against guys who can REALLY shoot, and I submit myself to the reality check most years down there.

As beginners, you probably wouldn't want to pay the entry fee and compete, but they always set up a Bowhunter Defense course of ten targets that can be shot with just a five dollar donation to the Bowhunter Defense Fund (good cause), and you could get the flavor of competing in the big Triple Crown shoot going on up the hill, at minimal cost and with the option of doing it again if you enjoyed it, five bucks a round each, and usually much less waiting time, if any.

The vendors and the circus atmosphere are worth coming over to see once, even if that's not really your cup of tea. And I can highly recommend the ice cream from the trailer on the vendor midway. The $2 parking fee is all that's required to take in the sights and the shopping, and see a sideshow to the whole archery scene that some get really engrossed in, others find interesting and sort of fun, and many others get their fill of in one trip. But it's worth seeing once, at least.

03-Mar-14
My husband and I just started Tjs Archery Barn In Scottsburg we have a traditional night on every Tuesday starting at 5th for practice 6pm the shoot starts

27-Mar-14
Thanks for the information. I ended up joining the CCCCClub and they have a archery range at Utica, in.

• Sitka Gear