Bowsite.com on Facebook
  • Deerbuilder Food Plot Website
  • Trail Cam Photos
  • Bowsite.com Elk Section
  • Mathews Solocam
Summit Treestands Mathews Solocam Carbon Express Arrows Moultrie Game Cameras Sitka Gear LaCrosee Footwear Minox USA 3RiversArchery
Whitetail Deer Section Elk Section Black, Brown, & Polar Bear Section Moose Section Mule Deer Section Sheep Section Bowfishing Section Mountain Goat Section Pronghorn Section Mountain Lion Section Wild Turkey Section Caribou Section Hogs & Exotics Section Small Game Forum Africa Section Food Plots on DeerBuilder.com Bowhunting / Archery Equipment

New food plots

Main/Big Game Conferences
forum rules Registration
PRINTABLE VERSION

EMAIL TO A FRIEND

Messages posted to thread:
gobbler 28-May-10
gobbler 28-May-10
gobbler 28-May-10
gobbler 28-May-10
gobbler 28-May-10
gobbler 28-May-10
gobbler 28-May-10
babysaph 01-Jun-10
gobbler 01-Jun-10
Turk 01-Jun-10
gobbler 02-Jun-10
Turk 02-Jun-10
gobbler 13-Jun-10
gobbler 13-Jun-10
babysaph 14-Jun-10
gobbler 01-Jul-10
gobbler 01-Jul-10
gobbler 01-Jul-10
gobbler 01-Jul-10
deerhunter1123 02-Jul-10
gobbler 02-Jul-10
BBD05 02-Jul-10
gobbler 02-Jul-10
gobbler 27-Jul-10
gobbler 27-Jul-10
gobbler 27-Jul-10
slimer2425 28-Jul-10
Babysaph 28-Jul-10
gobbler 28-Jul-10
Ranger 06-Aug-10
gobbler 08-Apr-11
gcoleman 09-Apr-11
gobbler 09-Apr-11

From: gobbler ........ No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual ....... Date: 28-May-10

gobbler's embedded Photo

Summer food plots planted during gobbler season. Combination of buckwheat, forage soybeans, and summer peas.

From: gobbler ........ No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual ....... Date: 28-May-10

gobbler's embedded Photo

gobbler's embedded Photo

gobbler's embedded Photo

gobbler's embedded Photo

rifle stand

gobbler's embedded Photo

Cabin

gobbler's embedded Photo

brassica/rape/turnip

From: babysaph ........ No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual ....... Date: 01-Jun-10

Nice cabin. my kinda place.

From: gobbler ........ No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual ....... Date: 01-Jun-10

Thanks, after years of planting food plots maybe I'll finally get a deer in a few years.

From: Turk ........ No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual ....... Date: 01-Jun-10

Hey gobbler, can you come up and do some plots on my place! They look great.

From: gobbler ........ No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual ....... Date: 02-Jun-10

I don't know if it's legal to drive a tractor up the Turnpike.

From: Turk ........ No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual ....... Date: 02-Jun-10

You are probably correct, but I bet your tractor looks better than some of the vehicles I have seen on the highway! ( some of which I was driving)!

From: gobbler ........ No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual ....... Date: 13-Jun-10

gobbler's embedded Photo

Buckwheat is about 2.5 ft tall now and is blooming. The soybeans and peas are about a foot tall.

From: gobbler ........ No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual ....... Date: 13-Jun-10

gobbler's embedded Photo

Saw a bunch of fawns this past week. They must really be dropping them now. Everyone I saw was a single fawn. Didn't see any twins.

Was at the farm for 5 days and never saw any turkeys. Is anybody seeing any poults?

From: babysaph ........ No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual ....... Date: 14-Jun-10

awesom photo's gobbler

From: gobbler ........ No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual ....... Date: 01-Jul-10

gobbler's embedded Photo

Buckwheat is seeding up. The turkeys and doves will hit the seeds soon.

From: gobbler ........ No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual ....... Date: 01-Jul-10

gobbler's embedded Photo

The soybeans and peas are starting to come on good now. they will provide high protein feed for the next 2 months.

gobbler's embedded Photo

Turkeys are making dusting pits in the turnips and brassicas now.

gobbler's embedded Photo

one of my 7 clover fields. They are now 4 years old and weeds and grass are starting to take over. I've cut them once already this year and getting ready to do it again. Despite routine cutting and spraying I can only get about 4 years out of a field before I have to kill and replant. I'm thinking about switching over to alfalfa this time.

From: deerhunter1123 ........ No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual ....... Date: 02-Jul-10

gobbler are you located in boone county?

From: gobbler ........ No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual ....... Date: 02-Jul-10

no, Monroe.

From: BBD05 ........ No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual ....... Date: 02-Jul-10

gobbler food plots look good. what the secret? I am trying food plots this year for the first time. Do I need to water them alot? How do I need to plant and what works the best?

From: gobbler ........ No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual ....... Date: 02-Jul-10

They do need water at the right time. First you need to check and correct the PH before anything else. WVU will soil tests for you thru the county extension agency. They will tell you the PH and how much lime you need. If you let them know what you are planning on planting the will give a recommendation on fertilizer.

I've been real happy with buckwheat for summer plots. Plant the first of may and cut down the end of August. Then replant with buck forage oats and/or winter wheat for the fall.

I usually plant Imperial whitetail clover along with winter wheat or rye (not ryegrass) in the fall. the wheat/rye acts as a cover for the clover during the fall, then the next spring I cut the wheat/rye down after the clover has taken off. I get about 4 years out of each clover planting. I fertilize the clover late winter with a low nitrgen high phosphate and high potassium fertilizer. I usually use a 10/20/20 on the buckwheat and a 19/19/19 on the oats and wheat.

this is the first year I mixed the forage soybeans and summer peas with the buckwheat and I'm very pleased so far.

To plant I cut everything down then as they are just starting to green up, spray with glyphosate and wait till it dies. best to wait 5-7 days, Then I fertilize then till the ground. Then broadcast the seeds and use a cultipacker to get good seed dirt contact then pray for rain. I usually try and watch the forcast and plant 1-2 days before a good rain is forcast.

From: gobbler ........ No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual ....... Date: 27-Jul-10

gobbler's embedded Photo

Most buckwheat gone to seed and soybeans, peas, and sunflowers doing well after the recent rains.

From: gobbler ........ No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual ....... Date: 27-Jul-10

gobbler's embedded Photo

recently dropped buckwheat seeds sprouted and will give the deer tender high protein feed in the middle of summer.

gobbler's embedded Photo

deer trails from the woods going into food plots.

From: slimer2425 ........ No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual ....... Date: 28-Jul-10

Gobbler, your food plots look fantastic. I am very impressed. We have a QDMA chapter up here in Parkersburg (Mountain State QDMA) and we're having a food plot field day on August 14th. We're going to have a handful of guest speakers as well as have a live demo on planting a food plot. We're gonna plant a 1 acre food plot. From the look of your food plots, you could put on the entire seminar. I know it would be a long drive, but we would love to have you join us. Heck, we could probably give you the official title of "Food Plot Technical Advisor." LOL

From: Babysaph ........ No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual ....... Date: 28-Jul-10

See gobbler? U got to watch what you know

From: gobbler ........ No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual ....... Date: 28-Jul-10

Too short of notice, I'm already scheduled to work that day. But next year If you have it I'd be willing to help any way I could.

From: Ranger ........ No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual ....... Date: 06-Aug-10

Man, looks great. I have a great place to put in about 20-30 acres on top of Muddy Creek Mtn. but I can not afford it. Between the lime and seed, how much would you estimate you have into this?

From: gobbler ........ No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual ....... Date: 08-Apr-11

ttt

From: gcoleman ........ No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual ....... Date: 09-Apr-11

smokey will any of that grow down on our lease anywhere? turnips? maybe have a mini food plot in each cow pile lol

From: gobbler ........ No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual ....... Date: 09-Apr-11

I think buckwheat will grow.

Reply to Thread

Subject: RE: New food plots

You are not registered - please click here to register now.

Copyright © 1996-2013 Bowsite.com
No duplication without expressed written consent of the author and Bowsite.com.

Privacy and Registration Policy