Stevieray36 15-Sep-14
Stinkbait1 15-Sep-14
jrcb 01-Nov-14
OKStickSlinger 01-Jul-15
canepole 01-Jul-15
DeltaTracker 03-Jul-15
TONTO 16-Jul-15
15-Jul-10
Hey everyone...I wanted to start a thread for anyone hunting Hominy this fall. I have never been to MCAAP and wanted to se if we could put our heads together or at least make the stay a little easier by knowing a few people before we go. Anyways, any information concerning teh Hominy area would be much appreciated here and please feel free to discuss any and all things MCAAP here. The weekend I will be there is OCt 15-17. I hope to hear from you all soon.

15-Jul-10
i'll be there nov 12-14

17-Jul-10
Will be there Nov 12-14.

18-Jul-10
Gonna be there Oct 29-31

21-Jul-10
will be there Oct'22/24.dont know much yet.still looking for a better map.pumped about the hunt.good luck to all.

22-Jul-10
I will be there Oct 29 to 31. Can't wait.

23-Jul-10
First time being drawn. Nov 12-14. Would be grateful for any advice. 20+ years compound hunting but first year with a recurve.

24-Jul-10
canepole, you asked for advice. PRACTICE, PRACTICE AND MORE PRACTICE. GOOD LUCK on your hunt.

24-Jul-10
for those of us there nov 12-14, any idea what the rut activity will be like at that time? Does hunting pressure from previous weekends force these deer to act like public land deer? last year got busted in a stand 2nd weekend of Oct, and the deer only ran about ten yards, looked at me some more, then went on feeding. that's not what i'm used to, more like the deer running to the next county.

24-Jul-10
Can't wait. Should be fun. Drawn in for my first time. Ground blinds? fixed stands? food plots? or are we just cut loose out there? I don't know a thing about it.

25-Jul-10
You know, I sure am a popular guy. Got a few PM's about the base, and have answered them. Doug, I'm gonna answer you, but I have to go shoot some trap first. I'll send you a PM tonight. Sure wish that I had drawn this year, but unfortunately, I didn't. Oh well.

25-Jul-10
i heard they dont allow canadians on the base.

27-Jul-10
Hey,found out a few things about mcalister.ground blinds as well as tree stands and screw in steps are allowed.there are alot of acorns this year so might find the food sources.as far as hunting you get to chose roughly the area you want to hunt on the map they will take you and pick you up each day.4 hunters per vehicle.also will let the hunters know the deer activity.hope this helps a little.

27-Jul-10
Fowler, if they allow people with no necks they surely allow canadians. Stop on by when you get a chance...'later,

Doug

27-Jul-10
I drew this hunt by myself for the Oct 29 to 31st. I was wondering if there is anyone why has extra room in their truck for an extra hunter?

27-Jul-10
Been in there last 3, didn't get in this year, DARN!

Advice on the last weekend, as it was good rutting last year @ that time saw many decent to wonderful bucks too. Just couldn't seal the deal! Passed on several 8s, one i should have loosed the string on.

Find and area that the pins of other aren't and go for cover as the does will be heading for it.

New trad bow shooters should practice daily even if its just drawing your bow couple of sets of 5 to 10 and evening!

Ground blinds work sometimes as I got picked off by Mr. Big!

27-Jul-10
are you allowed to trim the branches where you hang your stand? i've heard that there are a number eastern red cedars and as everyone who has hunted from one knows there is a lot of cutting involved. it is a privilege to hunt here and i dont want to cause any problems. good luck all.

27-Jul-10
Canepole... yes, you can cut branches for shooting lanes and such. As far as cedars go... Bill Starry will tell you to... take your folding saw with you and cut as many of them boogers down that you can! They are a problem!

Where are you from?

05-Aug-10
Hi! I'm new here. I'm hunting MCAAP-Hominy Oct. 15-17. I pm'd oklahomaoutdoorsman but if there is anyone else going at the same time let me know. thanks.

26-Aug-10
I hear stories, but are there any pics of deer taken from Hominy? Depending on trail cam photos on my hunting area, I don't know if I actually want to go to MCAAP now????? With all the rules and just kind of setting up blind it doesn't sound all that great anymore. I know I should be pumped but I've talked to several guys who have been and they don't even put in anymore. I'm considering just sticking with black powder season on my old stompin' grounds. Am I the only one thinking this way?

26-Aug-10
Hey canokie, just look up Ronnie Lambeth's picture from last years Hominy hunt. Net score 197. Don't know you've talk with but this is one of the best hunts in the state. Good luck on however you decide to hunt that weekend.

26-Aug-10
canokie, not really. I laid off for a few years myself. To me, it's kind of like going to Disney World. Everyone should go at least once for the experience. There are some monster bucks living there. The real draw of the place is the chance to get a shot at one of them. The odds are astronomical, kind of like winning the lottery, but they are there. I seriously doubt that there is anywhere else in Oklahoma that has the sheer numbers and size of the bucks that call the plant home. I started hunting there in 1971. Out of MANY trips there, ONE time I had a shot at one of them when they still allowed shotguns. That buck would have been a state record, and if I could have got him, I'll bet that the record would still stand. After all these years, I have begun to slow down in my quest for a trophy buck. I don't like a lot of rules, and don't like to be barked at. Guess I'm just too touchy, but that's just the way that I am. If I had a quality place to hunt, I would quit putting in. It's not worth it, except for the overall experience if you are new to the game.

John

27-Aug-10
John, thanks for all the earlier help with MCAAP. I would really like to hear the story about that big buck.

27-Aug-10
If you have any questions or want to see photos of deer harvested at McAAP, they have a website to view. www.mcaapcontrolledhunts.com This website will also answer some common questions you may have concerning the hunt.

27-Aug-10
Thanks guys, I'm not against the hunt, but last year I got pics of two ten pointers and an 8 that were all wall hangers on some private land. I'm no sniper when it comes to the recurve, (I'd be happy with a doe) but I got two bucks last year off of this private land that I'm putting on the wall, so I'm wondering if I should concentrate my time on the private land since I know that weekend may be my best bet for an unpressured big guy. (last year I took a nice 11 on that weekend.) I know I sound like a spoiled brat, but after some of the horror stories I've heard about rules and no shot opps... What are my chances of getting within 20 yards of a doe without knowing anything about the area? I'd be extremely excited to get a shot at anything with a recurve. I appreciate all you Okie hunters and would love to meet anyone of you should the chance present itself...with the exception of TFowler1 of course.

27-Aug-10
canokie, with only a 7 percent success rate this is a tough hunt. but last year of the 99 bucks harvested 17 made p&y. 4 of those scored over 160. i'm sure you had to work hard to find those 2 bucks you shot. it's no different there. just like john ryan says everyone should go atleast once. your like alot of us folks here that been shooting a compound but not as much experience with a traditional bow. just keep practicing and you'll be ok. as for the rules and regs they are what they are. i certainly don't mind if it gives me a chance a true monster. i agree with you that we were lucky to have a network of not only knowledgeable but friendly hunters here in okla.

27-Aug-10
Well canepole, it's kind of funny, and kind of sad too. Back in the day, I was pretty poor, and not too savvy about shotguns and slugs. Of course we didn't have the slugs and barrels that we have today either. I had an old Remington 870 pump in 12 gauge. Certainly no slug gun, but pretty good on the skeet field. I hadn't shot it much with slugs, but I knew that I would have to be pretty close to have any chance at anything. So, I went off to the field with high hopes. Back then, you could carry all the slugs that you wanted to carry, so I had a box of 25. Yes, they came 25 to the box back then.

The area that I was in, was old #5, which today is called Hominy. It was a one day hunt as I recall, and boy was I excited. I knew that out of 25 shells, I would get me one. So, I hit the woods before daylight. They hauled you out in buses and box trucks back then, and dumped you out, coming back after you at dark, unless you got a deer. Well, I had walked all morning, sneaking around the woods. I got several running shots at deer that I had spooked, but missed them all. Afternoon was coming on, and I was pretty dejected at not having killed a deer. Success rates back then ran about 90% or better. So, I'm walking one of the perimeter roads, feeling sorry for myself. I looked up and saw a doe run across the road about 200 yards away. I took off up the road hoping to catch a glimpse of her standing in the timber. While I was running, I looked up and saw the buck dart across the road. I swear he was almost as big and wide as the Mitch Rompola buck. I threw on the brakes, and saw that he was standing close to the doe, which had not hit the timber. I put up the gun, held high on his shoulder and fired. Nothing. The doe ran back across the road, with the buck in hot pursuit. I started running again. They stopped, I held high again and fired. Nothing. Then they ran back across the road again. Stopped in the same place. While they were running, I was running, trying to close the distance. I threw on the brakes again. By now I was so winded, and high on adrenaline that I was shaking so bad that I couldn't hold the gun still. I held high, and fired again, nothing. I fired 3 or 4 shells at that big buck and never cut a hair. At the last shot, they disappeared. By now I was absolutely sick. I finally gave up just before dark and waited for the guards to come get me.

Next year, I bought a new slug gun, new slugs, and had a tack driving shotgun. I never drew another gun tag, and they closed the base to guns after that.

When I got back, I went into the check station cabin, and saw my bucks twin brother hanging on the wall. The one on the wall was the base record deer, and current Cy Curtis record buck if I remember correctly. In my nearly 50 years of chasing whitetails, I have seen only one other buck that size, and he was 100 yards away across a pond. All I had was a Wing recurve. That was in 1967.

I have lots of similar stories, but way too many to tell. If I die tonight, I've had a wild time in the woods chasing those whitetails.

John

27-Aug-10
John, From what I hear you talk about. You have had memories of McAAP. This is what McAAP (to me) is all about. Seeing the BIG BOYS and enjoying being around all the other hunter from across the state, including Texas, Missouri, Arkansas, Ect... hearing all the stories they have to tell at the camp fire. It's one thing to draw out for the hunt and to be a part of it, but It is a bonus to get a chance to shoot at a trophy buck. I hear people all the time say, If I had just one more day, I'd close the gap on that big buck and he would be mine. What an adrenaline rush. To me, it is an awesome place to hunt.

28-Aug-10
Yep, I would have to agree. If I had the time, I'd rather be one of the white hats. They have all the fun.

28-Aug-10
I agree with you also.

09-Sep-14
Me and 3 drew hominy 24-26. Need info or let me know where to park. I'm handicapped and can't walk real far. I have hunter boggy a couple times know where I seen one real nice shooter. I have hunted 40 years and never seen one this big. Came about 85 yrds ando angled away.

09-Sep-14
This is my third draw in hominy this year. Need info. The other two boggy. Have info if you need any. First timers you really need to ask. It will give you an edge on the other first timers. 918-691-0267. Just ask for the white haired man of wisdom. Lol or just Tony.

09-Sep-14
This is my third draw in hominy this year. Need info. The other two boggy. Have info if you need any. First timers you really need to ask. It will give you an edge on the other first timers. 918-691-0267. Just ask for the white haired man of wisdom. Lol or just Tony.

09-Sep-14

15-Sep-14
My crew drew the sixth weekend and we think that weekend of hunting is better than winning the lottery. If u draw this place and dont go ur just plum crazy or u dont really like seeing 150"+ deer standing right off the road. There's nowhere around here that can compete with the caliber of deer on the base. Anybody hunting in there was has a chance at a monster buck. Thats just my two cents

15-Sep-14
I say if your not excited about going then dont go. That will leave more opportuniities to those that want to go.

The rules are there for safety and security. I have been there twice and never have been barked at.

Me and two of my buddies are going October 22 thru 25.

15-Sep-14
I've been to MCAAP 6 times since 1994 with last year being my 6th trip. I finally got a shot at a doe and made it count. So, I get to return this year, Nov 13-16. on the "quality pass" program. I know this is the Hominy Forum but I will be hunting Boggy again. But, there have been a lot of general questions asked so I will try to help answer those. For those that don't know, the quality pass program is an incentive for you to kill a doe. They don't do it every year though. They will tell you on Thursday if they are doing it this year or not. So, don't concern yourself about that going in. As for the rules. They are what they are. Remember, this is a military installation and the deer hunting is way down on the list of priorities. My advice is to know the rules front and back and stick with them. Do what they tell you to do and don't give them any flack. The rules are in place for a reason. For those that are camping at Murphy's Meadow. The rules say you cannot arrive until 2:00pm on Wed. 2:00pm means 2:00pm. Not 10:00 am, not noon, not 1:58pm. It means 2:00 pm. If you are there early, they will tell you to leave and come back at 2:00pm. I know, I speak from experience. The white hats and the rest of the helpers are nice guys but they have a job to do. So, help them out by being a good guest. You can trim trees for your stands, cut shooting lanes and cut down red cedars (which they want you to do). I don't recommend screw in tree steps. The reason is that on one of my previous hunts the only good tree I had to put a stand in was a bodarc. You can't screw steps into a bodarc. If I'd have some strap on steps I would have gotten a shot at a giant buck. I had to settle for a small hackberry and he spotted me in the tree. Now, the white hats are not going to "put you on deer". They get asked where is a good place to hunt a million times each weekend. They will give you some tips on the acorn crop and places to look for but that's about it. As for places to hang your stand, don't be afraid to hunt close to the roads. These deer are used to vehicle traffic. The best advice I can give you is to find sign and set up on it. Don't be afraid to hunt from the ground either. You can make a very good ground blind out of a cedar tree. Just cut a big hole in it, pile up the boughs in the front and sit on a stool in the shadows. It's a lot like hunting out of a pop-up blind. My Dad did this several times and got a couple of shots. Another thing, is enjoy yourself! Have fun, talk to other people and shoot your bows. The camp is a fun place to hang out and meet fellow hunters. Now, for the 1st time traditional bow hunters all I can say is practice, practice, practice. Establish your maximum range you feel comfortable shooting and stick to it. As I said earlier, I've been 6 times. Every time I have seen at least one giant buck. I've had them as close as 10 steps. But, for whatever reason I have never been able to get a shot at one of the bigguns. That's just hunting. Last year was no exception. Last year I had a 170"+ class buck chasing does. I heard him grunting before I ever saw him. When I did, he was only about 30 yards but I had no shot because of too much brush. He was chasing two does, 1 went away from me and he followed her. The other walked right past my tree and I killed her with a 12 yard shot. MCAAP is great and I would say there is no other place like it. I wish I could help you guys out with Hominy. I have only been there once and I honestly don't remember the exact place I hunted. I do know that I saw deer and passed up 4 little bucks. I saw a biggun but he was too far. The whole base is good. No area is really any better than any of the others. Good luck to all. For me, I will continue putting in for it as long as they keep having the hunts even if I'd been seeing a 150" buck on my regular hunting place. Rob

01-Nov-14
Well is anyone having luck in the hominy area? I still have two weeks to wait.

01-Jul-15
Just checked the results and I am excited to say I drew in this year to the Hominy area. I have only been to the MCAAP once, but it was in the Boggy area. I am excited and look forward to what I can find.

01-Jul-15
Hey OKStickSlinger, just sent you a pm. Gene

03-Jul-15
Headed to Boggy 10/19. I hunted Deer Creek last year. I don't know much about it but I'd be happy to share with anyone.

16-Jul-15
John Ryan gave me some goo tips 2 yrs ago on hunting the Deer Creek area. Was 1 big step away from a 8yd shot on a 160 class buck, but he finished working his scrape, and went back instead of forward leaving the scrape! My partner missed a giant at about 10 yds due to his bottom limb hitting his deer stand! Oh was he upset! LOL! John knows way more than most - so listen to what he tells you. Saw one of biggest bucks ever seen, walking down the middle of the railroad tracks walking across ties and rock like it was nothing? A sight I will never forget, It almost seemed like he was doing that to avoid the tree line,,, where hunters may have been? Hey Johnnie bud... ya got any more great tips for me to try in the boggy unit? LOL!

• Sitka Gear