TinyB 01-Sep-10
Paul @ the Fort 01-Sep-10
txhunter58 01-Sep-10
mulieslayer52 01-Sep-10
Dirty D 01-Sep-10
Dirty D 01-Sep-10
Paul @ the Fort 01-Sep-10
28-Aug-10
Do we (archers) have to ware Orange during Muzzleloader season? I couldnt find anything in the regs. Thanks in advance. Bill

28-Aug-10
NO... Archers are NOT required to wear orange ANYTIME during archery season...

28-Aug-10
GREAT!!!!!!

28-Aug-10
But you might want to tie some trail tape on you or your animal when you move around..

Also, they do come into calls on the "ready" so be careful there too

28-Aug-10
I have some blaze orange camo I wear in that situation. As stated, it is not that hard to call in another hunter.

28-Aug-10
I usually tie an Orange cloth on my backpack. Better safe than sorry.

29-Aug-10
I wear an orange ball cap when walking at/near dark.

I think the hunter orange requirement for MZers ought to apperar in hunter orange in the regs. I seem to run into a few who overlook this.

30-Aug-10
The way the regs are written this year, it could be interpreted as meaning archers do not have to wear orange at ANY time, unless hunting with a firearm. It only says 500 inches of orange is required "for anyone hunting with a firearm".

I suspect this is not the intent, but one might read it that way, since that is how it is now written.

30-Aug-10
Fact: When hunting with any kind of firearm, you are required to wear 500 inches of orange (part of which must be a hat). That includes muzzleloaders. If a muzzleloader hunter is hunting without orange, he is breaking the law.

Fact: When bowhunting you are not required to wear ANY orange at ANY time.

This is not new, it has been the regs for as long as I remember.

30-Aug-10
txhunter, "ANY time"

Fact, no hunter orange in required when rifle hunting for mt goats or sheep in Colorado.

Fact, bow hunters are required to wear hunter orange during big game rifle seasons, except goat and sheep seasons, if they have a rifle tag.

So there are times when hunter orange is required or not.

antlerhunters answered correctly,second post.

Paul

30-Aug-10

30-Aug-10
What I was saying - the wording changed this year in the brochure.

30-Aug-10

30-Aug-10
I know last year, I asked the DOW about hunting with my bow during rifle season while I carried a rifle tag. They said I had to follow all the same rules as if I was using the rifle - i.e. I had to wear orange even though I was hunting with a bow. I clarified with them because I happened to also have a deer archery tag too, and its season overlapped my rifle elk tag (plains elk is a very long season). They said in that case, if I was hunting deer with my bow, I didn't need to where orange, but if I decided to put a stalk on an elk at the same time, I would have to put orange on first. Kinda a weird set of rules. Not sure if that has changed for this yeat either.

30-Aug-10

31-Aug-10
The question came up in camp this weekend because some hunters have a PLO cow tag and an archery either sex tag, but are hunting both with a bow. A WCO (who is also a bowhunter) told one of the guys that he had to wear orange at all times if he had an unfilled PLO tag.

This is really strange, since he ostensibly might be hunting either-sex elk with a bow right up until the moment he decides to tag a cow with the PLO tag. Seems like an unenforceable regulation.

31-Aug-10
Muleslayer2. you got me one at one. It does not state that. It only states that one has to wear orange while hunting deer, elk, pronghorn, bear and moose with any firearm.

I content that the statement should read, "during any deer, elk, pronghorn, bear and moose firearm season." regardless of method of take, and I do believe it use to state that or infur that. I questioned the DOW on that when the regulations first came out but never got a reply.

UPDATE:

I just spoke with the DOW Chief of Law Enforcement Jay Sarason, about this regulation and he stated, " yes, bow hunters must wear orange if they process a firearm license and hunt during those firearm seasons, for the species above. He also stated that some of the regulations may be in need of rewording and that this regulation is one of them. Wearing orange during these above seasons is all about safety.

Now, can you defend your self under the current regs, if you do not wear orange during these season? Maybe so. But I do believe they will chance to include bowhunters in the very near future.

Paul

31-Aug-10
I'm going to be carrying a set of orange with me once muzzleloader opens up - most likely 'camo' orange, which doesn't meet the legal requirement, but does the trick. Will stick it in a tree downwind of me when calling. Better to be safe than holey.

31-Aug-10
Is it just me, or is it about time that they move the muzzleloader season to after bow season. If for no other reason than safety, it used to be a muzzleloader was something that only really dedicated traditionalist people would use but now they're just slow rifles that any joe-sixpack can buy at BassPro. I'd personally rather have a 3 week elk season than a 4 week one with the smokepolers tromping all over the place right when things are starting to get good during the 3rd week....

31-Aug-10
The brochure is NOT the complete list of laws. The list of laws can be found at: http://wildlife.state.co.us/RulesRegs/Regulations/

Here is what it states for orange around big game hunting: Except for archers hunting during a limited bear season and archers hunting during an archery bear, deer, elk, pronghorn, or moose season, all persons hunting bear, deer, elk, pronghorn or moose shall be required to wear daylight fluorescent orange garments which comply with the requirements of ยง33-6-121, C.R.S.

31-Aug-10
Tiny - Arguement has come up many times here. Think you'll find alot of strong opinions. Personally, if you are concerned about safety during muzzleloader season, you can always hunt around it. Prefer the 'option' of a 4 week season rather than the mandated separation. Ideal situation would probably be a split, but I don't see it happening without lessening some group's opportunity - seen several ideas kicked around this site - none of which gain any traction.

31-Aug-10
Tiny, Tx has it correct. While it seems like a simple solution to just move the ML season or give up 9 days of the current 30 days archery season, the majority the bowhunters would rather work around the ML season if necessary. Also there are early elk camps made up of ML and archery hunters together, who enjoy the current situation.

Since I was the CBA/DOW Liaison for almost 7 years and during two of the 5-Year Season Structures, we have discussed this issue to death. The CBA Board of Directors examined the risks and pros and cons of the current early season and voted to accept status quo. This was one arguemant or issue that we would never win with out jeopaddizing the current season's make up.

Thanks for the comments. Paul Navarre

01-Sep-10
Thanks for the info, it's something I've just never liked since I started bowhunting 16 yrs ago.... figured there had to be some reasons for it higher up at some level of the DOW. And believe me, I do just stay out of the woods during that 3rd week.... and you see a I think you see a difference in 2nd wk elk behavior and locations compared to 4th wk IMO.

01-Sep-10
Quitehunter hit the nail on the head.

01-Sep-10
Thanks for setting me straight Paul. Guess I will have to get my "facts" straight next time.

01-Sep-10

01-Sep-10
Front inside cover -

"This brochure is not a legal notice nor a complete collection of hunting regulations and laws. It is a condensed guide issued for hunters' convenience. You can find copies of wildlife statutes and regulation on our website or at any DOW office"

Sounds like every joe-schmo is responsible to know the law. Crazy isn't it?

01-Sep-10

01-Sep-10
This is why I contact the Chief of Enforcement for the Divison and ask that the published regulation be clarified and rewritten. Paul

• Sitka Gear