c3 27-Sep-10
Elkbybow @home 06-Oct-10
hoytman 08-Oct-10
BCB 20-Oct-10
c3 20-Oct-10
17-Sep-10

c3's embedded Photo
c3's embedded Photo
Got back last night from helping a friend, retrieving some trail cams and my dirt bike from my San Juan hunt of a lifetime. I put in for 25 years. Got Unsuccessful letters for 24 of them and ate tag soup on the open bull units for 24 years straight for a variety of usually self inflicted reasons.

Video taped a ton of bulls. Got close, very close to a few decent 6's. Finally after 14 continuous days of filming, being in, calling with and stalking elk, I took a day off to sit a tree stand location my buddy Bill Allard (BB) set up on his San Juan hunt in 2006.

I parked the bike at a pond a half mile from the stands and immediately heard bulls screaming in the dark. They followed me down the canyon to the stands screaming the whole way. As I climbed in at first light I was able to almost immediately identify 5 different bulls running all around me.

For the next 10 1/2 hours I had bulls insulting each other from nearly every direction, but not a single bull approached the wallows I was hunting. Finally at 5:00pm two bulls got into it on either side of the little meadow I was sitting. I caught the last two bugles before my bull stepped into view, all on HD video. I caught a full wallowing session, a great bugle and some incredible close up footage of him facing me at 35 yards.

Finally he stood and turned to face another challenger coming from uphill behind him, leaving me a perfect 36 yard quartering away shot. Fifteen seconds and 38 yards later my bull of a life time was laying on the ground in full view at 55 yards from the stand.

Truly one of the most incredible things I've ever had the privalege to be part of!

Here's a few pics from the last couple days. There's way more to the story, but the gist is a pipe dream came true and I'm thankful to the Lord for laying the bull of a lifetime in my lap. Thankful to my wife of 28 years for putting up with all my disappointment, never understanding why I kept at it in the face of more than a few set backs over the years. Thankful for the folks who helped me make it all happen in a way that is beyond what words can describe.

Here's to all of you that some day you might get a hunt like this to call your own. Keep the Faith !!!

17-Sep-10

c3's embedded Photo
c3's embedded Photo
Special thanks goes out to Shad Pyper and Deen Lyman for helping me late into the night pack out my bull. To BB for sharing his tree stand location on the wallows. To Gary Wilson (Midnight) for leaving his stands in the tree there so I had a freebe and also to Paula and Braden for ferrying and storing my bike. I appreciate it more than you all know and hope to be able to return the favor some day!

Cheers, Pete

17-Sep-10

c3's embedded Photo
c3's embedded Photo

17-Sep-10

c3's embedded Photo
c3's embedded Photo

17-Sep-10

c3's embedded Photo
c3's embedded Photo
Picked up a new Eberlestock X2 before the hunt and it turned out to be quite the hunting and meat hauling machine! Here's a 75 pound hind quarter all boned out and loaded. For a lightweight day hunt or 3 day bivy pack it can't be beat.

Cheers, Pete

17-Sep-10
Congrats Pete! Great Bull!!

18-Sep-10
Way to go Pete

Congrats

Makes me think I still may have a chance one of these years.

Mike

20-Sep-10
Pete, this is your year! Awesome bull. Congrats, buddy!!

20-Sep-10
Nice job Mr. Pete!

Sounds and looks like the wait was worth it. He's a fine bull with unique characteristics. I love the thirds and the sticker on the sword...

20-Sep-10
GREAT BULL CONGRATS

21-Sep-10
Congrats! Great bull!

Maybe next year for me with my 15 points

21-Sep-10
Nice Job Pete!

21-Sep-10
Sweet Bull!!!!

22-Sep-10
Another thumbs up for the X2! Best daypack/first load out meat hauler. What a great bull. 25yrs! Now that's patience....that paid off!

27-Sep-10

c3's Link
I finally put together a video of all the bulls I filmed on my hunt. It's full HD if you have a good internet connection.

Cheers, Pete

06-Oct-10
Very well done.... Makes me want to get back out there!

08-Oct-10
pete, i drew that tag in 2007. you did an incredible job on the videography...nice bull, a tag well spent

20-Oct-10
Congrats Pete. I met you up on the mountain the first week of the hunt. We chatted for a while, figured out that we shot together at BATB the first year. Awesome bull man. Glad you were able to stick one. Did you ever get the chance to have your boy bugle a bull in without using any calls?

Again Awesome bull.

20-Oct-10
Thanks J !!! It was a super cool hunt and my only regret is that my wife and my youngest son didn't get to come down for any of the hunt. She's a school teacher and they started the 18th of Aug. Jr had a big soccer tournament Labor Day weekend and they were to come down the 10th of Sept. I ended up shooting my bull the 3rd and I got home just in time to see his last game of the tournament on Labor day!

Next year he'll be able to hunt with me and hopefully he won't have the pain of waiting 25 years to get a bull :)

How's your season going?

Cheers, Pete

• Sitka Gear