Naz 23-Nov-10
Naz 23-Nov-10
Naz 23-Nov-10
CaptMike 23-Nov-10
12-Nov-10

huntnfish43's Link
You can't make this stuff up.

12-Nov-10
Maybe they are afraid of suicides from years of poor hunts?

12-Nov-10
RC my monitor now has Mt. Dew sprayed all over it. That was a priceless moment that day at the capital. To this day the legislators recall the "meltdown" and the subsequent letter. Priceless!!

12-Nov-10
I still have my copy and can email. I just re-read it. Man what a knee slapper. I thought he would have blamed Baiting and Feeding for his poor performance.

12-Nov-10
It's poor writing on the part of whoever edited this ... sound info in the press release, actually ... the same thing volunteer hunter education instructors teach tens of thousands of students in WI each year:

Hunting is safer – as long as you don’t shoot yourself

Weekly News Article Published: November 9, 2010 by the Central Office

Hunter safety administrator statistics tell the story

MADISON – Wisconsin statistics show hunting is safe and getting safer, but the rate of unintentional self-inflicted injuries is on the rise.

Hunter Education Administrator Tim Lawhern has witnessed both subtle and significant changes in his 22-year Department of Natural Resources career. And changes have been both good and annoying.

“We have had great success in educating hunters to be safe – and with that comes success in the hunt,” Lawhern said.

When Lawhern was named head of the hunter education program in 1994, there were 60 hunting incidents for all seasons combined – 55 injuries and 5 fatalities. The incident rate was 7.6 when compared with incidents per 100,000 hunters. In 1966, the year before hunter education programs began in the state, the incident rate for all hunting seasons was 43.5. Last year, there were 18 hunting incidents – 17 injuries and one fatality – translating into an incident rate of 4.19.

For the gun-deer hunting season, the incident rate in 2009 was 1.26 for 8 incidents.

“These statistics show us that our Hunter Education Program is working. And it shows us our volunteer instructors are doing a good job training hunters to be safe, knowledgeable and responsible,” Lawhern said.

The flip side of the equation is the number of hunters shooting themselves.

“It used to be self-inflicted injuries amounted to roughly 20 to 25 percent of the total number of hunting incidents,” Lawhern said. “Today that number is 40 to 50 percent each year.”

Lawhern says it is not uncommon for a hunter to say the gun went off on its own.

“In nearly all of these cases, the gun has not been the problem. It has been handler error,” Lawhern said. “If the hunter takes care to do two things, these types of incidents will decline.

“One is to never point a loaded gun in your direction or in the direction of anyone else. It must be appointed in a safe direction,” Lawhern said. “And, do not put your finger in that the trigger guard until you are ready to shoot at your target.

“Just doing those two things would wipe out self-inflicted injuries and cut by half the total number of hunting incidents,” he said. “Most of the self-inflicted injuries are just smart hunters momentarily turning stupid. So stay smart and safe this hunting season.”

12-Nov-10
I knew from the title there were going to be some good one liners, thanks guys you did not disappoint

12-Nov-10
My anti-virus won't let me open it up. Says it has a "HEUR:Trojan.Script.Iframer." Apparently it didn't affect anyone else. ???

12-Nov-10
Wisconsin DNR warns hunters not to shoot themselves

State wildlife officials are warning hunters not to shoot themselves as the November gun deer season approaches.

Department of Natural Resources Hunter Education Administrator Tim Lawhern says self-inflicted injuries account for 40 to 50 percent of the total number of hunting incidents each year.

Lawhern says hunters should remember to to never point a loaded gun at themselves or anyone else. They also should remember to keep their fingers out of the trigger guard until they're ready to fire.

The nine-day November gun season opens on Nov. 20.

12-Nov-10
hmmm... hopefully they dont go by the motto of....."when in doubt keep shooting".

13-Nov-10
I was talking to a guy at work this last week. His nephew shot himself in the foot with a 20 gauge slug last season.

Several seasons ago, I got really nervous talking to another hunter over the fence. He has his hands on the top of his barrel and was moving it around like someone might a walking cane. The but of his gun was in the brush along the fence line. Thought he was going to shoot both his hands off. I actually backed up a few feet to keep his fingers from landing on me.

13-Nov-10
All kidding aside (and despite the obvious humor in the article) any reminder of gun safety before 700,000 people get in the woods is a good one.

Already looking forward to next weekend. As much as I love bowhunting, opening weekend of rifle is it's own animal. So much damn fun....

14-Nov-10
I just got back from MN yesterday. The news was reporting a youngster that was resting the muzzle of his gun on his foot when it "accidentally" discharged.

14-Nov-10

70lbdraw's Link
Don't believe me?

15-Nov-10
Driving is also safer when you don't crash. Boating is safer when you don't sink. Duhhh!

15-Nov-10
Here on the MN side of the border I read about four accidents on our opener a couple weeks ago. All avoidable and the results of poor gun handling.

15-Nov-10
Cheetah, maybe the Minnesota incidents are more related to depression form the realization that the Vikings are a pretty bad football team.

15-Nov-10
Just because you and your buddies are wearing blaze orange does not mean you are safe. Be careful.You are more likly to shoot yourself or a hunting companion or get shot(accidently)than to catch a stray bullet from a distance.

15-Nov-10
Wow, this is the best advice "our" DNR can give us prior to the gun season ?

15-Nov-10
If they (DNR) really care about us, they'll quit allowing rifles in rural areas subdivided into predominately 35 acre parcels. Slug gun and muzzleloader technology today can easily handle what would be necessary. Happy I live in a log home, as it's harder for the bullets to penetrate it.

Good luck if you are going out and be safe.

16-Nov-10

Turkeyhunter's Link
So the word goes out reminding everyone about safe firearms handling and some of you make snarky jokes about it?

Go tell your juvenile jokes to the family of someone who suffered an injury or death due to a preventable firearm accident.

Tell it to them to their face.

Not behind the relative anonymity of a hunting discussion board.

17-Nov-10
Go tell your juvenile jokes to the family of someone who suffered an injury or death due to a preventable firearm accident.

...and you are convinced that had they heard the DNR ad they would not have had an accident? Carelessness like that is not fixed by 30 seconds of a reminder to be safe.

17-Nov-10
"Go tell your juvenile jokes to the family of someone who suffered an injury or death due to a preventable firearm accident."

Wow dude...chill out. Nobody is making fun of gun safety, but the DNR telling hunters not to shoot themselves is akin to the warning label on a box of rat poison that says "not for human consumption." Well no sh!t.

17-Nov-10
Did I strike a nerve?

I'm never snarky about firearm safety - deer, turkey, pheasant, duck. Take your pick. That's because it's really hard to recall a bullet. You don't get many Mulligans misshandling a firearm. It is not a joking matter.

Nonetheless, I believe that snark deserves to be answered with snark.

RC -

I saw a 'Buckle-Up' sign on the way to work today.

I'll bet the big, evil WI DOT spent a couple hundred dollars on that sign. And if you're like me you're probably not happy about our hard earned brass being spent on thousands of these signs all across the landscape. Each of them reminding us of the obvious.

If you're going to have a melt-down over a department of state government you should post about that. That's probably worth a tantrum.

Just trying to be helpful.

Have fun - and more importantly - a safe hunt.

Your pal -

Turkeyhunter

17-Nov-10
Did I strike a nerve?

Only with those of us opposed to a nanny state.

17-Nov-10
“Most of the self-inflicted injuries are just smart hunters momentarily turning stupid. So stay smart and safe this hunting season.”

Enough said ... a good reminder for all hunters, and perhaps a message for mentors to talk to the 10,000-plus youngsters who'll be afield this weekend the morning of. I had a youngster just miss shooting his foot in the Sandhill youth hunt 20 years or so ago. He said the gun "just went off" ... Yes, keeping the safety on and your finger out of the trigger guard until you were sure of your target was taught in hunter safety and again at the Sandhill workshop, but another eye-to-eye talk that day prior to loading up might have prevented the mistake.

17-Nov-10
Are you admitting to handling my arse?

You know me - I love a good laugh.

But this talk of patterning me is troubling.

You're not a stalker too are you?

17-Nov-10
"Only with those of us opposed to a nanny state."

I agree with you CaptMike.

Which is why I am still sitting here scratching my head over why our friend RC gets his bile up over the little stuff like a simple firearm safety announcement (which cost all of us practically nothing) and might just save a life or limb and he completely ignores the opportunity to have a classic RC Breakdown over big expensive stuff like those nagging 'Buckle Up It's The Law' signs.

Oh well.

17-Nov-10

Which is why I am still sitting here scratching my head over why our friend RC gets his bile up over the little stuff like a simple firearm safety announcement (which cost all of us practically nothing) and might just save a life or limb and he completely ignores the opportunity to have a classic RC Breakdown over big expensive stuff like those nagging 'Buckle Up It's The Law' signs.

Oh well.

17-Nov-10

Oh well.

18-Nov-10
"Did I strike a nerve?"

Nah, not really. I find comedically-challenged, politically-correct people kinda funny!

"Nonetheless, I believe that snark deserves to be answered with snark."

"Snark" is not actually a noun...at least not in the way you used it. How's that for snarky?

"I'm never snarky about firearm safety - deer, turkey, pheasant, duck."

Then you would really disapprove of the annual loaded gun juggling contest that we conduct at our deer camp.

Have a good hunt.

18-Nov-10
Hmmm. Three posts for the price of one. Since I hate repeating myself that must be a server hiccup. RC - You seem to be exceedingly preoccupied with my public appearance. (Between you and me I couldn't care less. I hate popularity contests almost as much as repeating myself). Watching you obsessing over having the last word has tickled my funny bone.

You make for a fascinating study in social dominance behavior. This is usually observed only among primates in the wild. I am at camp now so I have nothing further to say on this thread. I made my point about firearm safety not being a joking matter. Take care and have a great hunt.

BTW - Big Woods - You have a sense of humor. Great riposte!

22-Nov-10
If you look at past history of hunting accidents in WI. Self inflicted gun shot accidents out number those of deer drives. Perhaps we should ban hunting with guns? Come on Rance more kids are injured in Friday night football games than all types of hunting. But we never think twice about letting our kids participate in youth football. Nice morning out here. No shots herd yet this a.m. And nothing seen.

22-Nov-10
Maybe an atlatl-only hunt? Kids are hurt wrestling too. I've seen pics here RC.

Here's the full Door report directly from the warden involved. It's the first Door or Kewaunee County deer drive shooting accident that I can recall in 30 years of reporting hunts here. Even one shooting incident is too many. Am not trying to downplay, and have no inside knowledge of their hunt plan. But, properly planned with each hunter given only a certain zone of fire, there should be no accidents.

Way more folks are injured in tree stand falls, and more hunters die of heart attacks during the hunt from dragging deer than from bullets.

From the warden:

On Sat. 11-20-2010, at approx. 1:15pm, in the Brussels Township near Kolberg, four deer hunters were participating in a deer drive in a wooded/brushy area on private property. Three of the hunters were participating as standers and one as a driver. Two of the standers were on one side of a gully together, and the 29 yr old male victim stander was on the other side of the gully alone. All members of the drive were wearing blaze orange and visible to each other. The driver pushed multiple deer from thick cover and the deer ran between the group of two standers and the victim stander. All three standers fired one time at the running deer. The victim stander suffered a pass through bullet wound to the front right thigh. The victim was transported to Door Co Memorial Hospital by a member of the hunting party. The victim remains in stable condition at a Green Bay area hospital. The incident is still under investigation.

22-Nov-10
I wonder now with Walker as Govenor elect if he has any plans to stop deer drives due to this incident?

22-Nov-10
Thought this thread was about "DNR warns hunters not to shoot themselves", instead you have to use your passive aggressive tactics to take shots at some reporter on a totally different topic? Why don't you stick to the thread topic and be a responsible bowsite poster?

22-Nov-10
"If they would have only been in heated box stand overlooking a bait plot. ;-)"

They wanted to see deer that were hunkered down in a small patch of thick cover, so they had someone walk into it and get 'em out of bed. Few hunters percentage-wise hunt over bait plots.

Never suggested Walker's administration might be making a change. It's all in how you read it. What I was saying was the way statutes are currently written, b/f would be banned next year (had this been a CWD positive) UNLESS Gov-elect Walker's administration changes the statute. (That's what barring a rule change means). I would have written it the same with a different name no matter who the incoming Gov. was.

That said, some in Walker's camp have suggested big changes in deer management policy are coming that are more customer friendly. That could mean a lot of things, depending on who you talk to.

22-Nov-10
The last paragraph was for your reading pleasure. This is why I wrote what I did in the story, to cover my bases should something change:

"What I was saying was the way statutes are currently written, b/f would be banned next year (had this been a CWD positive) UNLESS Gov-elect Walker's administration changes the statute."

Again, that's what "barring a rule change" means.

Have a good night all, I'm out.

23-Nov-10
"That said, some in Walker's camp have suggested big changes in deer management policy are coming that are more customer friendly. That could mean a lot of things, depending on who you talk to."

What's that even suppose to mean..."depending on who you talk to."

The only people who won't like the changes are people who have a very anti deer on the landscape agenda. The regulare folks who hunt will love to see and be able to kill more deer, the ones that have deer will have a few more no doubt, and if thats a problem they could always allow a hunter or three some access to help with the cull if needed.

Going back to my question, which "who you are talking to" people are you talking about? 90% of the states hunters want a serious increase in herd size!

23-Nov-10
Serb, like RC, you misunderstood. "Depending on who you talk to" refers to some who suggest big changes are coming and others who believe things will stay similar to the way they are now: no EAB outside CWD zone, reduced antlerless tags, etc. as well as analyzing at the studies on buck mortality, predation, etc.

23-Nov-10
Keep fishing RC, but there's nothing to catch in that story despite your best efforts. Why are you so defensive? Do you think the CWD rules are overreaching and should be changed to "level the playing field" as you have mentioned in the past vs. food plots? Do you believe bait/feed bans in the CWD zone are justified? Or should hunters be able to use two gallons per 40, and backyard wildlife watchers two gallons within 50 yards of their home/business like those in the rest of the state?

23-Nov-10
So in other words, as one of the advisors for the new regime, you would recommend allowing baiting and feeding again across the state? While you're at it, be sure to include a recommendation that it should be spread in a minimum 10-foot by 10-foot area rather than piled, and allow broadcast feeders which accomplish the same. That would allow hunters to not have to drive to replenish their feeding site so often.

In addition to keeping the food fresh and allowing the setting of a daily time to feed without human scent/intrusion being added, we'll reduce global CO2 emissions ... that should be an easy sell.

23-Nov-10
"Regime" jumped out at me before I read your post RC. That one came in without any bait...

• Sitka Gear