Bowsite.com on Facebook
  • Deerbuilder Food Plot Website
  • Trail Cam Photos
  • Bowsite.com Elk Section
  • Mathews Solocam
Summit Treestands Mathews Solocam Carbon Express Arrows Moultrie Game Cameras Sitka Gear LaCrosee Footwear 3RiversArchery
Whitetail Deer Section Elk Section Black, Brown, & Polar Bear Section Moose Section Mule Deer Section Sheep Section Bowfishing Section Mountain Goat Section Pronghorn Section Mountain Lion Section Wild Turkey Section Caribou Section Hogs & Exotics Section Small Game Forum Africa Section Food Plots on DeerBuilder.com Bowhunting / Archery Equipment

Hunting Wayne National forest Ohio

Main/Big Game Conferences
forum rules Registration
PRINTABLE VERSION

EMAIL TO A FRIEND

Messages posted to thread:
jake_878 07-Jan-11
coonskinner... 08-Jan-11
jake_878 08-Jan-11
coonskinner... 08-Jan-11
Saxton 09-Jan-11
coonskinner... 10-Jan-11
coonskinner... 10-Jan-11
Saxton 10-Jan-11
coonskinner... 10-Jan-11
Saxton 10-Jan-11
coonskinner... 11-Jan-11
Panhandle Bob 11-Jan-11
coonskinner... 12-Jan-11
Panhandle Bob 12-Jan-11
timberghost 13-Jan-11
badly70 13-Jan-11
badly70 13-Jan-11
kellyharris 13-Jan-11
CAS_HNTR 13-Jan-11
coonskinner... 13-Jan-11
N.Phelps 02-Mar-11
coonskinner... 02-Mar-11
1Badboy 30-Mar-11
coonskinner... 30-Mar-11
Wildman 02-Apr-11
Saxton 06-Apr-11
coonskinner... 06-Apr-11
Zbone 06-Apr-11
coonskinner... 06-Apr-11
coonskinner... 06-Apr-11
Wildman 11-Apr-11
Zbone 11-Apr-11
coonskinner... 12-Apr-11
Zbone 12-Apr-11
coonskinner... 12-Apr-11
Zbone 12-Apr-11
coonskinner... 13-Apr-11
Linecutter 13-Apr-11
Vermonster 13-Apr-11
coonskinner... 13-Apr-11
Wildman 15-Apr-11
Zbone 17-Apr-11
Wildman 18-Apr-11
Zbone 18-Apr-11
Wildman 18-Apr-11
coonskinner... 19-Apr-11
Zbone 19-Apr-11
1Badboy 19-Apr-11
Wildman 19-Apr-11
coonskinner... 19-Apr-11
Zbone 19-Apr-11
Wildman 19-Apr-11
coonskinner... 19-Apr-11
1Badboy 20-Apr-11
Fletch 20-Apr-11
coonskinner... 20-Apr-11
Wildman 20-Apr-11
Wildman 20-Apr-11
Wildman 20-Apr-11
Wildman 20-Apr-11
Wildman 20-Apr-11
coonskinner... 20-Apr-11
1Badboy 21-Apr-11
Wildman 21-Apr-11
Kevin Dill 22-Apr-11
1Badboy 22-Apr-11
Kevin Dill 22-Apr-11
Kevin Dill 22-Apr-11
bowmiller 22-Apr-11
coonskinner... 22-Apr-11
Kevin Dill 22-Apr-11
Wildman 22-Apr-11
1Badboy 22-Apr-11
bowmiller 22-Apr-11
Kevin Dill 23-Apr-11
1Badboy 23-Apr-11
crawfish1 20-Dec-11
coonskinner... 21-Dec-11
HUNTMAYNARD 22-Dec-11
Saxton 23-Dec-11
crawfish1 30-Dec-11
Bobby G 10-Nov-12
CAS_HNTR 12-Nov-12
1Badboy 21-Nov-12
Rocky D 22-Nov-12
Rocky D 22-Nov-12

From: jake_878 ........ No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual ....... Date: 07-Jan-11

Thinking about hunting WNF, OH. Taking suggestions on where in WNF to hunt, and is there lodging nearby.

From: coonskinner... ........ No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual ....... Date: 08-Jan-11

hunt whats closest to you...the larger the area the better...if theres small cities near you have lodging...

From: jake_878 ........ No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual ....... Date: 08-Jan-11

I'm actually coming from NY and it would be the first hunting in OH. Actually first time on state land to. so far all hunts have been on private land. Have you ventured on WNF to hunt or scout much?

From: coonskinner... ........ No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual ....... Date: 08-Jan-11

on there all the time,i hunt the area closest to me which is 60 miles away...

From: Saxton ........ No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual ....... Date: 09-Jan-11

I hunt it all of the time. Big woods deer are different from farmland deer. And anyone that tells you otherwise have never hunted forest deer. The densities are low. You will see plenty of sign but be prepared for l-o-n-g days on stand with little sigting. I have seen more bucks than does. Most of the bucks are little that I see. SO there has to be shooters somewhere and occasionaly I see a one. Get a map from the ranger station because there are a lot of private land mixed in with the WNF.

From: coonskinner... ........ No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual ....... Date: 10-Jan-11

i think less deer are seen for many reasons,and none is because theres less deer,and there might just be more...on farms theres more open forests and open pastures making deer easier to see...i'm talking hunting deer naturally with no bait as i do hunt both private and wnf naturally...and my sightings are very equal on either.of course using bait would improve sightings but on the farms i do see deer much farther away...maybe 100 yds which in the wnf chances are i'd never see a deer that far away...especially with leaves on...and as far as sign goes its nearly equal to on the places i hunt...all in a 10 mile radius...the wnf is much more rugged than much of the farmland and thats prolly why its public land instead of farm land,and deer love that ruggedness and heavy forest,it makes it harder for us to see them... a very good map is offered by the wnf for around 9 dollars and everyone should have one...

From: coonskinner... ........ No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual ....... Date: 10-Jan-11

i think less deer are seen for many reasons,and none is because theres less deer,and there might just be more on public when hunting deer naturally on either land...on farms theres more open forests and open pastures making deer easier to see...i'm talking hunting deer naturally with no bait as i do hunt both private and wnf naturally...and my sightings are very equal on either.of course using bait would improve sightings but on the farms i do see deer much farther away...maybe 100 yds which in the wnf chances are i'd never see a deer that far away...especially with leaves on...and as far as sign goes its nearly equal to on the places i hunt...all in a 10 mile radius...the wnf is much more rugged than much of the farmland and thats prolly why its public land instead of farm land,and deer love that ruggedness and heavy forest,it makes it harder for us to see them... a very good map is offered by the wnf for around 9 dollars and everyone should have one...

From: Saxton ........ No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual ....... Date: 10-Jan-11

It is a FACT not an opinion. The deer density in the forest are thinner. Take 1 square mile of farm land and 1 square mile of forest. On the farm it is easier to find the deer. This is due to crops, fields, roads and buildings. There is only so much cover and travel areas. So the deer will concentrate on certain areas. Forest deer have more options for cover and travel with the terrain and vegetation; hence the density in a 1 square mile is less. The deer have to rely on the natural forage and mast producing trees. Farm land offers opportunity to crops with an addition to the soft and hard masses. a good book to read is; "Bowhunting Forest and Deep Woods" by Greg Miller

i'm going by my own experience where i hunt on both private and wnf...i really dont care what greg miller writes,its not about where i have hunted for 46 yrs. with the bow...there are lots more deer in that thick forested hilly mess called the wnf then many know...and a lot of guys are learning this thats hunting it with me now...the deer are very evenly distributed in there...which kind of makes it easy to find deer there if one does some scouting...i will say it again from my experience...theres very little difference in amount of deer and size of bucks on the wnf...the reason is simle,much private land within its boundaries...these deer travel on and off the forest...i hunnt much private land that is either on the outside border or in the middle of it...and i can say these deer dont know the boundaries...again i am not comparing the wnf where deer must be hunted naturally to private land where deer are attracted with sweet plots and stuffed with corn/apples/turnips or whatever...of course in that scenario there will be more deer on private land...but not with everthing being equal...i can go anywhere on wnf and there will be deer there as with private land...

From: Saxton ........ No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual ....... Date: 10-Jan-11

Then you must have a sweet spot is all I can say. I scout hard and have several cameras I use. I have left my cameras out for an entire season and have not gotten the number of deer pics i get in one month on private land. And where I hunt, the New Port area of the WNF and I am telling you there is a difference. If it is so much like hunting private property; then why does EVERYONE break their necks to get on a private a farm. And you said it right "the reason is simle,much private land within its boundaries...these deer travel on and off the forest...i hunnt much private land that is either on the outside border or in the middle of it..." Where I hunt the private land is forest, not farm land. Also, I am repsonding to that fellow that is asking about the WNF and for him to expect a lot of work to find deer. And the book was directed at him; not you. Because it seems that you have this big woods game down pat. As for what Miller writes; it is about hunting continues forest that goes for a min of 300 acres with out fields or highways. And as you put it; "i really dont care what greg miller writes it is not about where i have hunted for 46 yrs. with the bow...," It does represent where I hunt, the WNF...big woods..only.

From: coonskinner... ........ No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual ....... Date: 11-Jan-11

like i said i hunt a 10 mile radius for 45 yrs...its mixed with private with very lg. sections of wnf and aep...i've scouted it over and over...i was born in it,played in it every day as a kid and started scouting it and hunting it in 1964...the key here is knowing your area...

From: Panhandle Bob ........ No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual ....... Date: 11-Jan-11

Panhandle Bob's embedded Photo

My first Ohio buck came off the Wayne...

From: coonskinner... ........ No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual ....... Date: 12-Jan-11

is that pic by an old small cemetary...

From: Panhandle Bob ........ No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual ....... Date: 12-Jan-11

If I remember right there was an old, very small, cemetery across the gravel road.

From: timberghost ........ No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual ....... Date: 13-Jan-11

Jake,

A few months ago I started a thread about WNF. After my hunt I posted this report about the hunt.......

Just a quick update and observations.

Hunted Friday Sat and sun ... all were afternoon hunts with scouting in the AM. It is obvious that in the sections of the forest that we hunted there is a small population of deer. Very little in the way of trails tracks and droppings. We did see more Bucks than Does. On Friday my hunting companion saw a nice 10 pt at dark and was able to get him to 50 yds but no shot. On Saturday in a different area I saw a nice 8 pt that must have seen me move my bow and we had a stand off at 40 yds which he won by turning and walking away. passed on a small main frame 6 pt with a kicker that walked down the same trail that the 8 pt did an hour earlier but he decided to walk under me and around my stand for 5 min. before dark passed on a button buck. Sunday I saw one doe out of range and my buddy saw a nice 8 pt at 30 yds but could not get a broad side shot. Was disapointed with the amount of trash along the trails and roads but overall had a nice hunt. If you want some additional info just PM me and I will respond.

Timber

From: badly70 ........ No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual ....... Date: 13-Jan-11

Actully coonskinner, the key is to be in the right place at the right time.. you can do all the scouting you want to do and live there your whole life but if that deer doesnt feel like coming by that day, hes not going to,

From: badly70 ........ No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual ....... Date: 13-Jan-11

Actully coonskinner, the key is to be in the right place at the right time.. you can do all the scouting you want to do and live there your whole life but if that deer doesnt feel like coming by that day, hes not going to,

From: kellyharris ........ No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual ....... Date: 13-Jan-11

If you have never hunted big forested woods for whitetails I suggest the following.

1. hunt the bowls along thickets if possible or bowls along steep drainages.

2. hunt the saddles on the ridgetops. It doesnt have to be a steep saddle it can obly have a 3 ft drop across the entire ridge but regardless hunt it!

From: CAS_HNTR ........ No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual ....... Date: 13-Jan-11

Hunting woods deer is alot different that hunting cropland deer...I have hunted them both and I prefer the woods deer but you have have some patience as they go pretty much anywhere they please and thus come from all directions.

As Kelly mentioned, the patterns do change for deer movements, but it happens over years (unless there is a sudden dramatic change in the area) and you can typically pick up on it.

If I had to pick 3 areas to hunt, site unseen it would be a ridge saddle, top of a steep ravine, or a secondary ridge line.

From: coonskinner... ........ No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual ....... Date: 13-Jan-11

badly 70 i agree thats with public and private...thats why i try to keep all my bases covered...with somebuddy in all the stands...i cant be in all of them...i dont mind a guy killing a big one from one of the stands i put up...there are more nice bucks in that jungle than most realize...theyr just hard to see...

From: N.Phelps ........ No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual ....... Date: 02-Mar-11

What would you guys recommend for getting up the trees? My options are a climbing treestand, or a tree saddle. If I use the saddle I will have to pick up some tree sticks to get up the trees since they do not allow screw ins.

From: coonskinner... ........ No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual ....... Date: 02-Mar-11

climbers work great in wnf...lots of straight trees,except where you want one...just kidding,lots of straight trees...

From: 1Badboy ........ No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual ....... Date: 30-Mar-11

climber is priceless love my lone wolf !

From: coonskinner... ........ No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual ....... Date: 30-Mar-11

a lightweight is great...but not a priority...go with comfort and if you can stay in it all day...not all of the best spots involves going a long way or even climbing one hill...but these places may be occupied by other hunters...i like goin to hard to get to places because nobuddy else cares to...but deer care less...

From: Wildman ........ No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual ....... Date: 02-Apr-11

I am new to this site and I seen this thread. I just thought I would give a little incite to to hunting on Wayne. I agree with Coon.. The are plenty of deer there as much or more than farmland deer. as for more doe's well opening day gun 2009 I seen 23 morning deer opening day with most being doe's. opening day gun 2010 I seen 13 deer 10 being doe's 3 being bucks one a shooter. The evening I took an hour to walk 150 yd's up a hill used sprayed sent in the sworeling wind, grunted at last light shot a 6.5 to 7.5 yr old uni-buck. Point is I disagree with the guy that reads to many book's and obviously doesn't hunt the big wood's... no offense

I have hunted 18 yr's there from when there was a hunter or two on every ridge to the years that there were less. I have watched the grouse go from great #'s to very few.

I only gun hunt it now for I hunt a lot in south west Ohio which is where I am from.

From: Saxton ........ No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual ....... Date: 06-Apr-11

"Point is I disagree with the guy that reads to many book's and obviously doesn't hunt the big wood's... no offense"

I have years of experience with NF hunting. I have done DIY in WV,OH,MT,TX and AK. I live 2 miles from the WNF and I have years of experience with WNF hunting, scounting, cameras. There are deer there and some nice ones. The density of deer in a 1 square mile is less in big woods than on farm land. Proven. Period!

If the "Open to the Publc" land is so comparable to private farm...then why does everyone break their necks to get on a private farm?

So.....obviously, you do not know me. I am open to any information be it books, articles or educated opinions in order to increase my knowledge of my quest.....no offense.

From: coonskinner... ........ No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual ....... Date: 06-Apr-11

not where i hunt saxon,as i said i'm comparing non managed farms,mine are 35 acres,2oo acres and 1000 acres which al belong to relatives...they owned these places before i was born...and all let any hunter hunt that asks unless they think he's shifty and to be honest,most city folk will fit that mold,just being honest...these lands are not real far from public and you will not notice any difference deer wise and prolly hunter wise from the wnf near it...you will not have a problem finding deer or big bucks on either and will have about the same chance of a hunter messing you up on either one...i was born in chauncey in 1949...its right on the edge of the wnf where i have deer camp(wn)...people that live here have always hunted the nf even though their friends and relatives own land...why,because its just as good and they can walk right out the back door into the wnf...the book i read was the woods in my back yard...i've never read a book on public woods hunting...recently i have come across a book by greg miller and recommend it highly to those not familure with hunting the big woods,especially public...this book will be helpful to them...

From: Zbone (mobile)Sent from Mobile Phone ........ No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual ....... Date: 06-Apr-11

"6.5 to 7.5 yr old uni-buck", on ohio public land??? had to have been the only one in the state. you killed an engangered species...8^)...sorry, couldn't resist passing that one up...8^)

From: coonskinner... ........ No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual ....... Date: 06-Apr-11

that would be hard to find on private unless of course it has fantastic management and lots of private acres...of course i'm talking of where i hunt which is se ohio...

saxton,many want sole permission or controlled hunting...and many want to grow the bucks by management...thats why...onviously they cant do that on public land...but in the wnf where i hunt,in many cases the deer on public and on private are one and the same...some obviously have never been there or looked at a map...we have 2 very large parcels within the area we hunt thats private and allows very little hunting to none...of course some hunters key in on these places...and theres lots of large areas on the edges...soooo where do you think them real big bucks disappear to when the orange army hits the woods...but during archery this definately will not be the case...the big boys will be roaming the public as well as private or wherever that doe in heat is at...you can take that to the bank...

From: Wildman ........ No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual ....... Date: 11-Apr-11

Well Saxton I have 300 ac in Highland county (farmish land) 100ac's in Adam county (mostly big woods) and 200ac's on the edge of Brown and Clermont county mix of farm wood. plus I hunt most of the time in urban land around Cincy.. I see just as many deer in the Wayne when I hunt there. Than I do at any of these places I listed above I do not agree at all..... Let's agree to disagree.

Uni-buck, Had a busted left side. The next day we were driving deer and a buddy jumped a monster up on the same ridge I got the uni....

I have spent to mush time to in Wayne not to know there are lots of deer... Just got to know where to hunt. Sure there are all the normal areas that get hammered but on the average there isn't much of a difference between farm and big woods when it comes to numbers..

From: Zbone (mobile)Sent from Mobile Phone ........ No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual ....... Date: 11-Apr-11

the "7.5 yr old" part is whats funny.

From: coonskinner... ........ No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual ....... Date: 12-Apr-11

not a lot anywhere unless its grown and well protected z...but of those on public and private i'd say its very equal...and yes theyre once in a lifetime deer when theyre not management deer...

From: Zbone (mobile)Sent from Mobile Phone ........ No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual ....... Date: 12-Apr-11

yeah, a 7-yr old public land ohio buck would be non-existent to extremely rare and have to witness cementurn results before cretitable.

From: coonskinner... ........ No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual ....... Date: 12-Apr-11

i guess some dont understand the area i hunt...its more private or about 50 50...its a tough place for a deer to grow to that age...i have seen a couple personally that have...one was killed by a guy i know that was 190...i'm talking after deductions...and another i tracked to 5--6...possibly older...it was very big the 1st yr. i seen it...prolly bbb...and i seen it 3to4 yrs. after that...so i know they exist,both these deer i always seen on wnf...the 2nd i dont know if was ever killed but i did hear of a very big deer killed there a couple years ago and i havent seen it since...i assume it was that one...i seen that deer every yr. since the 1st time i layed eyes on it,always in the same area...

From: Zbone (mobile)Sent from Mobile Phone ........ No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual ....... Date: 12-Apr-11

save your breath george, go to deerage.com to learn the true facts...kill one in the wayne, 7 years or older, confirmed by location and the cermentum test, and i'll pay for that positive test... no more bs, as the say, sh!t or get off the pot....

From: coonskinner... ........ No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual ....... Date: 13-Apr-11

believe what you want,i care less just letting you know some 1st hand info...as i said theres not that many,anywhere...that we know of anyway...

From: Linecutter ........ No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual ....... Date: 13-Apr-11

I can see where coonskinner has a point. 50/50 private to public. IF the deer hung out on private land for the most part, that they didn't allow hunting, and just happen to get caught off that property at he wrong time, I could see where a 7 1/2 year old deer could exist in the Wayne.

Deer have been know to disappear then reappear. True story. On a island where a drive was exicuted the drivers walked right up to a rosebush where the guys in our group saw a doe disappear into, and told the driver the deer was there. The driver stomped all around that bush and was looking into it, THE DEER NEVER CAME OUT. 2 hours later 2 of our group saw it come out of the rosebush and ended up getting it. They had just finished lunch, if they had eaten sooner and left sooner no one would have gotten that deer, they weren't staying there just to shoot the deer. Now if a doe was that smart to stay in place with a hunter there, you don't think a older buck could do the same thing in thick enough cover? DANNY

From: Vermonster ........ No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual ....... Date: 13-Apr-11

Vermonster's embedded Photo

MY lease borders part of the wayne. My lease is a travel corridor and I really dont think many if any deer actually live on it. Over the past 7 years we have seen a ton a shooters come off the wayne through our property. Between all of us we have seen some very old buck poor off the wayne. They come on to our lease and scent check the ridge then they are gone. two years ago we had a 12 point with a bunch of kickers come through. He was a very old deer. We rarely see the same buck come through also. I definitly believe there are some old mature buck on the wayne. There is a reason why not many people believe it though. They didnt get that old by being stupid. Most mature buck chase does at night and are completely nocturnal. Also the wayne is huge and I know it gets hunted hard, but there are hardly any hunters on the wayne where our lease is.

This guy came off there a read the script. he was 4 1/2 years old gross score 134 3/4

From: coonskinner... ........ No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual ....... Date: 13-Apr-11

linecutter actually it might be the other way around,the deer are on wnf more than private since its bigger,at least where i am this is the case...for most of the year boundaries mean very little...now lets not throw feeding deer in the equation...even though that happens here where i hunt,its basically feeders stuck out in the barnyard about 25 yds from the barn and the wnf is about 25 more yds. away from the feeder so the deer are staying on the wnf for the biggest part just coming there to feed...but anyway there is two large areas of private land with road frontage but still in the middle of the wnf,100s acres of wnf surround each,one about 100 acres and the other 50 acres and much thicker than the wnf since burn offs are not conducted on them...well to be honest and i am...for the most part the big boys prolly seek these out just before youth season...they seem to get lost during gun season...i see nice bucks on the wnf,as do others from our camp...but just before youth gun season things change,just very small buck and doe...wheres the big boys...this is year in year out...the biggies recognize the large numbers entering the woods,scouting in the last minute for youth and gun season...so they seek out the thickest places where hunters will not go,or can not go...this is the no hunting private areas,and the areas where its been timbered in the last 20 yrs. on wnf...you can hunt the edges of these places,but going into them is very hard to do...some here tell things they have no knowlege of...and have other agendas like not liking people that travel to hunt,and even though i'm an ohio res. i fit the having to travel part too...as many other ohioians do...i have no agendas and i do give truthful info...and there are pics of deer that have been taken from our deer camp by 1st timers,out of staters/in staters but one thing they all have in common is they all travel at least 100 miles or very close to that to get to the camp...these pics are available ...just give me a pm and i can guide you to the deer camp web site...to me gun hunting big boys is almost impossible there...but bowhunting them is very possible to score on p$y sized bucks up to 140/150...according if youre counting deductions...another thing,this is just not where i hunt...all 3 sections of the wnf are dotted with private land holdings and the public areas are very simular...and big bucks are on all of it...so theres no reason to run to one area,if one is not coming to my deer camp i always say go to the area nearest you...if you like my info where i hunt,it will work there too...

From: Wildman ........ No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual ....... Date: 15-Apr-11

Zbone, My friend is going to Adams county this weekend, That is where the heads were tossed.( on his property) he uses the brain to tan the hide. I just called him and he is going to look for a jaw bone for me. Just to verify the age for you. But you are right it is rare to get an older deer there. But to be honest it is more common now than 10/15 years ago..

From: Zbone (mobile)Sent from Mobile Phone ........ No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual ....... Date: 17-Apr-11

they use a front bottom tooth for an acurate cementurm test ...again, go to deerage.com...pat had a great article over on the main forum on this process. deer can only be aged accurate up to 2-1/2 years old by only viewing the jawbone. after that it is only a guess comparing jawbone charts unreliable inconsistency.

From: Wildman ........ No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual ....... Date: 18-Apr-11

I have been told up to around 4.5yr's to be accurate. But I am going to be honest with you. I have a degree in Fish and wild, and have been aging them by the teeth an on the hoof for almost 20 years since my schooling and as amazed as you seem to be I was just as amazed at the age. That's what made the hunt so great. I would of passed on the shot rack wise. but to walk/sneak 150 yd's up and down a ridge us scent and grunt , well it was a great hunt that all worked out by shooting/tricking and old mature buck on public land... I shot a 150 class 8 pointer a few years back in the same area... So it is nice seeing older deer on public....Hopefully he will find the head and skull.

From: Zbone (mobile)Sent from Mobile Phone ........ No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual ....... Date: 18-Apr-11

guessing for 20 years doesn't make it true, only makes you an experienced guesser...8^) no, whitetails obtain the last tooth cusp at age two, (biologist should know that) after that it's only a guess...sure, i too have been guessing age by teeth, body configuration such as pot bellys, sway backs, long noses, grey faces, etc., etc., and would wager some guesses, but it's only guesses and to state a wild animal's age after 3 years without an ear tag or destinguishing marks is pure conjecture. am surprised a wildlife professional of 20 years has not heard of cementum annuli, its been around now for a while. again go to deerage.com... in all honesty, of certain bucks i've chased, can only say for certain two were at least 5 years of age. one i first seen as a 3 year old (i assumed) and watched him 2 later summers develope into a b&c caliber buck. he was recognizable by a bladed forked brow tine. would have made him 5-1/2 years old the last time i saw him. the other was a b&c caliber piebald last time seen knew his age by his destinguishing color. if they reach that age in ohio, they're likely b&c caliber or close to it, but few survive here that long, and for one to survive into his seveth year on public hunting land i'm guessing is or would be a miracle...8^)....a few slip through the cracks on private sanctuaries and/or no hunting zones, but you can read about them in magazines which entice out of staters...8^)

From: Wildman ........ No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual ....... Date: 18-Apr-11

Again I am not going to ramble back and forth on the subject. His face was one of the grayest faces I have seen teeth were worn body was very mature and the rack was on the down side... By the way if you hunt Wayne or at-least where I hunt you know that it isn't what it use to be when it comes to the amount of people that hunt it. In turn deer are getting older.. again I am done with the conversation. You seem like the kind of guy that know all and believes no one.. If he finds the head and jaw I will have you eating crow.. But then again you wouldn't be able to tell. But from my experience this deer was was 6.5 to 7.5 believe it or not... I have killed many 4.5 to 5.5 year old deer to know the difference. I have also killed deer that looked 4.5 (rack) but were 3.5.

All I know is I enjoy hunting in Wayne and will be back for gun every year. If I am lucky I may make it down to bow hunt.. plenty of deer plenty of space. Weather it has less than farm who knows I doubt it. I am just glad Ohio has what it has...

From: coonskinner... ........ No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual ....... Date: 19-Apr-11

i was gonna bring that up i've seen several nice 9/10 point bucks going down...funny me and wildman hunt the same area of wnf and i've been telling people the same thing for lots of years...but they seem to know our area better and havent givin it a chance...

From: Zbone (mobile)Sent from Mobile Phone ........ No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual ....... Date: 19-Apr-11

before i eat the blackbird, going to need sequence of pix picking up that skull and pulling out that tooth. would hate to see you send money on the wrong deerskull...hey, will listen to most, but only accept the FACTS, but you guys believing 7 year old bucks are common running around on the wayne - are dreaming, and doesn't matter how far back you get. there are too many blaze orange idiots....btw, if anyone knew it all, it wouldn't be fun anymore...8^)

From: 1Badboy ........ No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual ....... Date: 19-Apr-11

i find it hard to believe out of all the deer shot there all young bucks ... i love hearing people from ohio complaining about the deer herd they have ... trying coming up this way and finding a buck that old ! 1% of the deer in shot in vt (i believe) you guys have no idea how good the opportunities you have for white-tail are !

From: Wildman ........ No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual ....... Date: 19-Apr-11

I don't recall saying that they are common, Just that I killed a 6.5 to 7.5 year old buck.. in '93 I would of called bullsh=t on anyone that said that the area that I hunt had one at that age. Oh, how it has changed, for the better. The fact that deer are in everyone's back yard has taken An unbelievable amount of hunters from my area.

To give you an example: Opening day Gun:The deer chilli from the night before caught up to me and after taking care of business. I decided that it would be in my best interest to get out of dodge. To make a long story short I slow hunted on and off the logging roads the rest of the morning. I saw no orange at all no tracks at all. Made a wrong turn and ended up on the other side of a town 3 to 4 miles away from my truck. The only orange I saw was 100yd's from the road. and the old guy gave me a ride to my truck.

1badboy... I know how luck we are, And don't take it for grant. There is a group of older fella's from Vermont that come down to hunt One of the guy's is a natural born killer, But I here the stories about there hunting.

From: coonskinner... ........ No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual ....... Date: 19-Apr-11

i didnt say theyre common and theyre not common there anywhere else...theyve never been a dime a dozen as you seem to think...and if they were it wouldnt mean much...take away baiting and plots and see how many deer over 170 are killed...these used to be once in a lifetime deer...many people see some of these guys wacking and stacking that are baiting and using plots and thinking all private land hunting is like that when in FACT unmanaged private land,in the same general area,is very equal in all regards to public land...you cant compare mr.xpert management ,land hoarder that uses every thing at his disposal and every ingrediate to grow antlers to reg.private land hunter...this is where and how the majority of ohios biggest bucks are being taken...to get a super bigboy not using that method(management) will take a lot of hunts and luck just as it has in the past before the big management craze...

From: Zbone (mobile)Sent from Mobile Phone ........ No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual ....... Date: 19-Apr-11

geeze george, dude you're a trip. i don't know why i even try to read your babble...why try to twist and turn things around, i'm the one stating a 7-yr old ohio buck is extremely rare and am not the one boasting of killing these age animals, but calling out those who say they are. i don't believe it and won't believe until i see cementurn annuli results, and conformation of kill location. you guys can bs others all you want, but i'm a realist and done arguing with you guys, peace out...

From: Wildman ........ No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual ....... Date: 19-Apr-11

I am the guy saying that I killed it, no BS. Out of all honesty I could give a rat's as= if you believe it or not I have no desire BS anyone Nor do I need to pump my self up though lies to people on the internet, people that know me know who I am and where I stand. The 15+ people that were at our camp/friends know. Calling me out... what a joke!!!!

The thread was about Wayne then went to deer density from farm to forest. Now it is weather or not the buck I shot was 6.5 to 7.5. Unbelievable!!!

i guess i just didnt word that right...all i was saying is private land being hunted by the same standards that wnf is where i hunt is very equal in all reguards...this illiminates leasing,managing,plots,feeders...thats all i'm saying...150s are very possible and 140s are even more possible...and thats unmanaged hunting,thats natural hunting and thats what most can expect to see year after year...there are older deer there...but like a needle in a haystack to find...

From: 1Badboy ........ No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual ....... Date: 20-Apr-11

hey wildman lets see a pic of this buck !

From: Fletch ........ No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual ....... Date: 20-Apr-11

Coonskinner these guys never have had the pleasure of hunting big woods like the wnf. Greg Miller is an a$$.

I have hunted big woods most of my life. Thats just the way my dad hunted and the way I learned to hunt.

Everybody will see more deer than you and I because there hunting flat farm land and you can see 2000ac at a time.

I have never hunted with Coonskinner but I know everything he is saying is true.

From: coonskinner... ........ No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual ....... Date: 20-Apr-11

thankfks fletch,i try to really help those that dont have good hunting into a place that does...it irks me to no end when some try to discredit me for what i'm saying even when theres several returners to the camp each year doing well...most have been coming for a while now...and all know they were not lied to...the problem is some might decide not to try the camp because they get convinced by untruths that theyre wasting their time and gas money...its such a shame because these guys prolly enjoy the hunt...and even come back...

From: Wildman ........ No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual ....... Date: 20-Apr-11

From: Wildman ........ No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual ....... Date: 20-Apr-11

Wildman's embedded Photo

Well that didn't work. Maybe this will.

Friend is 6'2" nose on the ground..

Who is Greg Miller? zbone?

Wildman's embedded Photo

Wildman's embedded Photo

Here is one I killed in Wayne

Wildman's embedded Photo

And another...

From: coonskinner... ........ No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual ....... Date: 20-Apr-11

i seen one like that bigboy this yr...grear resemblence it had a few more points and a side tine...was 170...seen it last year too and prolly 140s...same exact spot i seen it twice this year...

From: 1Badboy ........ No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual ....... Date: 21-Apr-11

some big ones there ! nice Wildman ! couple of those are 5+ IMO

From: Wildman ........ No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual ....... Date: 21-Apr-11

Thanks, the first two pic's are pic's of the one that I was talking about. Big, old, gray faced, stinky mullet depleting rack buck. The last one could be younger 3.5 maybe 4.5 don't remember age been a while. The other was 4.5 with out a doubt we checked it as did a respected instructors from Hocking. But old gray face is one of the oldest I have seen.

From: Kevin Dill ........ No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual ....... Date: 22-Apr-11

I will weigh in here with this:

Anyone who automatically believes that WNF (or other "open hunting") areas mean poor odds at big deer is sadly mistaken. Like anything else, it's more a matter of how smart AND how hard you go at it. I live adjacent to some large areas of the Wayne and I see what comes out of these areas occasionally. I'm not going to sit here and worry about the age of a deer, because that's only one fraction of the equation in producing huge bucks.

Many years ago I hunted a section of (then) Mead property which was totally open to the public. The gun guys pounded it every year. They lined up a dozen guys and drove it hard 3x week. Every parking area had a truck, and the surrounding private properties were hunted hard, too. It used to make me crazy...

I knew what size bucks lived in there, and had video proof. There were two 175+ bucks in there for several years. The gun guys couldn't find them, and they couldn't run them out. After 2 years I killed the biggest atypical (5 drop tines) I'll ever arrow. I hunted that property every year in bow season and I always saw large bucks. I learned NOT to sweat the guns of December. In fact, I now tend to just shake my head and feel a tiny bit sorry for the guys who believe that heavily gunned properties can't have big, old deer...and a good number of them.

From: 1Badboy ........ No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual ....... Date: 22-Apr-11

Wildman were they all shot on Wayne ?

Kevin lets see a pic of that HOG with the drop times !

From: Kevin Dill ........ No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual ....... Date: 22-Apr-11

Kevin Dill's embedded Photo

From a public hunting area...

Another pic...

From: bowmiller ........ No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual ....... Date: 22-Apr-11

that buck is so old his antlers wouldn't even get hard! must be about 7.5. LOL! :-)

seriously, great buck, Kevin. I've never seen an Ohio whitetail still in velvet during bow season. was he injured or just a freak of nature or what?

From: coonskinner... ........ No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual ....... Date: 22-Apr-11

great post and deer kevin...i always say the more you know there the better off you are,especially during archery season...and i've never said there are 7.5 year old deer all over the place but say you have great chances to score on p$y deer up to 140 and even 150...but the more scouting and the more hunts you have under your belt,your chances will get better ...believe it or not,not many people ever see some of these deer...and that includes the locals...but i'm sure they see some bucks i've never layed eyes on...they are there...in all 3 districts,on aep...shawnee...and practically all public land in se ohio...

Jamie,

You're very knowledgeable about deer I can see. (I knew that!) This buck...in all his years...never shed his velvet. Underneath there was hard antler, and I actually saw it during the taxidermy work. He did shed his antlers each year and regrow new. I knew he was a freak while I hunted him, but could only guess the cause. It turns out his testicles were under-developed, and only about the size of a fox squirrel's. He was huge and very dominant amongst the other bucks. I watched him chase and intimidate 140-class bucks. I actually passed a slam-dunk opportunity at a 150 buck while hunting the big atyp. This buck was right at 300 pounds live weight. If you look, you can see the muscular shoulder in one picture.

He survived many gun seasons, along with his companion...a 185ish 7x8 typical. Yes, I have them both on 8mm video.

From: Wildman ........ No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual ....... Date: 22-Apr-11

Yep, that a nice one that's for sure! That's crazy that it is in velvet. What year was that deer shot?

The deer that I have in the pic in the back of the truck probably only weighed 175lb's I guess after fighting and humping he really lost a lot of weight...

As you stated I don't pay attention on age to much just if he is a mature deer. That is what made this years uni-buck (as I call it) mean so much to me. On public and I took my time getting in, set up in the right spot for ambush, used scent at the right time, didn't over grunt and was on the ground. It all came together and as he came around the corner at 25/30 yd's I could tell he was a big bodied old deer by his face and body.. The rack meant nothing, at that time it was about the hunt. I guess it is all in the eye of the beholder.

I just got hung up on the age after someone Tell's me that It wasn't that old.. one more thing look at the face of the two buck's in my pic. Then look at the older bucks face.

Also I only hunt one area in Wayne I don't deviate from the place that I have hunted at for all these years. It is nice and it helps to know a place.

From: 1Badboy ........ No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual ....... Date: 22-Apr-11

yep thats a monster Kevin ! how d the mount come out ? i assume you had it done with the velvet on ? what method did they use to preserve the velvet ?

great buck !

From: bowmiller ........ No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual ....... Date: 22-Apr-11

I have a mule deer buck I shot in CA that I had made into a European skull mount(I'm just tired of shoulder mounts). they freeze-dried the velvet to preserve it. still in perfect condition ten years later. was quite an undertaking to get that head home since I flew out there.

From: Kevin Dill ........ No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual ....... Date: 23-Apr-11

The taxidermist injected the velvet with the preservative he uses. The drop tines had much bloody pulpy tissue under the velvet and between the antler. He actually skinned the velvet back and cleaned out the pulp. He rebuilt the area to original measurements and put the velvet back in place. Airbrush to touch up things.

I never measured him, except max width which was 27" green outside his strange tines.

From: 1Badboy ........ No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual ....... Date: 23-Apr-11

WOW looks great ! does the G2 on the left side actually curl ?!?!

From: crawfish1 ........ No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual ....... Date: 20-Dec-11

I'm trying to find out some info on the area of WNF around the oak hill area,I've hunted around the cooper's hollow area for the last 2 yrs. but it's getting crowded I want to start hunting WNF and any info would be appreciated.Early scouting is nearly impossible since I LIVE IN SOUTH ga. I would be very apprecative of any help Thanks Crawfish1

From: coonskinner... ........ No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual ....... Date: 21-Dec-11

glad to say we had another good year on the wayne...had a couple guys come up from scarolina...father and son...1st time ever hunting in ohio...both were in the deer from day one of our week long camp...son turned down a couple deer 1st day...one a p$y sized buck...dad missed one with recurve...on the 3rd day son took 2 deer...a doe and a p$y sized buck,i believe it scored 130...we had one very large buck missed by an ohio hunter from dayton who later got a doe plus a nice buck thats short of p$y...another hunter got one,from cleveland area...possibly p$y...my girlfriend took her first deer here and has hunted very minimum ,this her 3rd yr...she missed 3 deer last yr...and killed her first this yr.2nd or 3rd deer of the camp...as an apprentice,she had a large bbb within 20 yds.but i wouldnt let her pull the trigger...wendy now scouts her area and places her stands,theres no hunting over bait here...i'm willing to bet she knows more about these deer than some experts on here that claim they know so much thats never been here...as for getting the big boys...guys coming out of town do very good...it seems the farther they travel and the more money they pay for licenses...the better they do...my belief is...they have just a week and these guys leave it all out there in the woods...dark to dark hunting...running and gunning and finding deer(hunting) everywhere they go...these guys flat out hunt,not just talk it...i firmly believe deer die of old age here...the big boys are the survivers,theres a good deal of deer to 150 just where we hunt...these are 3.5 yr.old deer or possibly 4.5...and these deer know what theyre doing...and get better each yr. they survive...they can beat the orange army before they even get into the woods...i am not saying theres a ton of deer over 160...there isnt anywhere...but there are some very big deer out there,not many will ever see them,especially if you never set foot in these woods...this was another good year for our camp...we killed about as many deer as we had hunters...next year will be even better...i have said that every year,so far its held true...we've come close to nailing 170+bucks...i hope to see it next yr...we got the guys that can do it...and its quite possible itll be someone thats there for the 1st time...maybe it might be wendy...or heh heh...even me...but i do know whats in these woods...and thats what i tell the guys that come here...and they go in there knowing theres deer to be had... uh crawfish,if youre bowhunting,its not hard to get away from the crowd by not going where the crowd is...theres more land not being hunted on the wnf during archery season that is being hunted...its not hard to find a secluded area...and the deer are very evenly distributed as are the big bucks...

From: HUNTMAYNARD ........ No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual ....... Date: 22-Dec-11

Is there any private land available to hunt on archers fork rd. that runs through Wayne Nat.Forest?

From: Saxton ........ No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual ....... Date: 23-Dec-11

HUNTMAYNARD - There are plenty of private ground in that area.......gaining access is another story. Getting permission for private land is hard. Go to the Ranger station on RT 7 in Marietta and get a map of the area. It will show NTL Forrest and private land.

From: crawfish1 ........ No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual ....... Date: 30-Dec-11

I appreciate the advice coonskinner.anyone else with any helpful advice it will be truly helpful and appreciated

From: Bobby G ........ No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual ....... Date: 10-Nov-12

I just killed my first Wayne National Forest buck on 11-7-2012.

From: CAS_HNTR ........ No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual ....... Date: 12-Nov-12

Well.....where are the pics Bobby G??

From: 1Badboy ........ No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual ....... Date: 21-Nov-12

^^^ X2 ^^^

From: Rocky D (mobile)Sent from Mobile Phone ........ No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual ....... Date: 22-Nov-12

I just posted my 2012 buck on the ohio forum. Scroll down and you will see 2011 buck.

Key to hunting for me is get away from road, hunt all day, and hunt does in the rut.

This year the food choice was chestnut oaks. These deer will move to concentrate on food when it is in limited supply and sources. So scout!

I have two more photos from this year of bucks that friends killed on public ground. Two more turned down eight and ten pointers.

This area is not for the faint of heart and be sure when you shoot it that you can get him out. Lots of people talk about 200 lb field dressed but it is a whole other story in one of these hollows.

P. S. I am mobile and cannot post pics.

From: Rocky D (mobile)Sent from Mobile Phone ........ No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual No Violations Reported on this individual ....... Date: 22-Nov-12

I just posted my 2012 buck on the ohio forum. Scroll down and you will see 2011 buck.

Key to hunting for me is get away from road, hunt all day, and hunt does in the rut.

This year the food choice was chestnut oaks. These deer will move to concentrate on food when it is in limited supply and sources. So scout!

I have two more photos from this year of bucks that friends killed on public ground. Two more turned down eight and ten pointers.

This area is not for the faint of heart and be sure when you shoot it that you can get him out. Lots of people talk about 200 lb field dressed but it is a whole other story in one of these hollows.

P. S. I am mobile and cannot post pics.

Reply to Thread

Subject: RE: Hunting Wayne National forest Ohio

You are not registered - please click here to register now.

Copyright © 1996-2013 Bowsite.com
No duplication without expressed written consent of the author and Bowsite.com.

Privacy and Registration Policy