jstephens61 31-Mar-11
jstephens61 01-Apr-11
Boar Guide 01-Apr-11
Grounblind 01-Apr-11
starbux 02-Apr-11
jstephens61 04-Apr-11
jstephens61 04-Apr-11
29-Jan-11
Can anyone recommend a good public area to hunt in the Southern part of Illinois?

Thanks

30-Jan-11
shane, The biggest public hunting area in Southern IL. is Shawnee N/F.

It has 277,645 huntable acres.

30-Jan-11
shane, A good place to start looking is at Kinkaid Lake. It's N/W of Murphysboro, in Jackson Co.

30-Jan-11
Some monster bucks in that area if you do your homework. Just go get them and time scouting is more important than time hunting.

31-Jan-11
Never too early to start internet scouting for next season...

01-Feb-11
Thats why I am asking the question. I like to study aerial photos and pick several spots to scout.

02-Feb-11
LOL!!

08-Feb-11
That's a fun way to go. I hunted the Shawnee about 4 years running back in the 90's. You need to get the quadrangle maps that show what is national forest and huntable and what is private land.

I used the Terraserver, and now I'd use Google for access to public aerial/satellite photos. The good thing about having both the maps and photos is you can see the terrain and have a good idea of the local vegetation, IE, brush vs. climbable trees. I was able to hang a stand the first morning I was there and saw deer from the stand that afternoon.

09-Feb-11
Crab Orchard offers some decent hunting opportunities as well as Giant City State Park.

15-Feb-11
Wayne Fitzgerrell sp, Pyramid sp, Burning star 5, Turkey bluffs, Randolph county conservation area. just to mention a few.

Go on the IDNR web site, it list all of the public hunting area's, take a day and check them out. Dragnet

31-Mar-11
I have hunted on outfitter property and just tired of paying all the fees. Can go and hunt for a couple of weeks on public land and actually save money.

31-Mar-11
Try Fox Ridge SP. More south central, but nice bucks and low pressure. Crawford County Conservation Area is good too. Lincoln Trail SP in Clark Co is open to deer hunting. Got alot of pressure the first few years,but I think the new has wore off. Let me know if ya get in the area and need help.

01-Apr-11
Just got blasted in a PM by duxxngeese for giving out names of public hunting areas. Told me to keep my mouth shut. Guess I missed the spirit of the forums. I thought it was to help others out and trade information.

01-Apr-11
Good lord what if he finds out about the IDNR website that also lists all the public areas. And yes your right it is to help others out and trade info.

01-Apr-11
Illinois is a big state with little public land. There are some gems in the rough that can be found. Just a matter of finding them. Good luck!

02-Apr-11
Since others have given out info, how about you fill us with all of your knowledge now jstephens? This is a trade, correct?

04-Apr-11
If my limited knowlege will fill you up, you're in sad shape!

04-Apr-11
Not until they ask for GPS locations. Then send them over to the NAHC site.

This Topic has been locked. Thank you.

• Sitka Gear