THE ELK REAPER 13-Feb-11
THE ELK REAPER 13-Feb-11
THE ELK REAPER 13-Feb-11
THE ELK REAPER 13-Feb-11
huntingbob 13-Feb-11
Elkida 28-Feb-11
chasentail 04-Mar-11
09-Feb-11
When do any of you go looking to find Elk sheds? Also if you are willing to help out where do you look? Type of terrain types of habitat etc... Hoping to get out this year and find some.

10-Feb-11

Chris Roe's Link
You didn't make this debate free???? :-) ...there are some that aren't too hip on the "shed hunting frenzy" since some can get carried away and start pushing/stressing wintering animals for their sheds. ...They actually passed restrictions (I think) on WHEN you can shed hunt in some areas around Gunnison a few years back.

If you want to have a higher probability in finding sheds, find out from a CDOW biologist, or look on the CDOW mapping pages, and find out where the winter range is for whatever area you're interested in. With that, pull up Google Earth and check both topo maps and sat photos and look for open, brushy/grassy, south facing slopes - areas that get more warm sunshine on them and generally have less snow. Also look for protected pockets of aspen that might not get as much snow piled in them. Then start burning boot leather, picking apart the mountain side.

If its mostly grass, you can sometimes cut time down by glassing a hillside with binos or a spotting scope, but if its brushy or in aspens, you'll have to hike it. For lower elevation areas, or in areas where there isn't much snow, they can be anywhere the bulls are finding food and water. ...and keep in mind, many of the bigger bulls won't be in the same areas as the cows and young bulls, so look in areas AWAY from the main groups for the better sheds.

While some elk have dropped already, I like the March timeframe - most of the decent sized animals have dropped, the weather is nicer, and access in at least "my" areas is better. I don't "shed hunt" to shed hunt, I shed hunt while I'm doing winter range observations or while scouting for turkeys most of the time, so, some of the other more "die hard" shed hunters may have more advice.

Chris Roe - Roe Hunting Resources

10-Feb-11
Meeto.......I'd like to try and follow ELK REAPER around.

Seems like he's got a good spot.

13-Feb-11
I didn't mean I was going to push any Elk out of wintering grounds as I am probably one of the most respectfull people of wintering habitat just trying to get out do some hiking around to break in some new boots and I am not looking to jump into a major wintering ground but just where to look while out hiking around taking pics. West of Colorado Springs doesn't see alot of snow so I don't think there are wintering grounds like the Gunnison basin. My brother lives in southern Oregon and is pretty good at finding Black tailed deer sheds and I know things are different here. I kinda was looking for the basic areas in terrain where all of you find them. I find them from time to time but they are usually old and have been eaten on by rodents. Never ever have found a matching set. Thanks for the advice guys.

13-Feb-11

THE ELK REAPER's embedded Photo

13-Feb-11

13-Feb-11

13-Feb-11

13-Feb-11

13-Feb-11

We walk

then glass

then walk

then glass

then walk

and walk more

then a little more

then eat

then walk

and walk:)

Just kidding:)

I put a lot of miles on the ground ( like 10-15 a day) and I have friends that go as well.

We first drive all the roads glassing, then we start putting boot leather on the ground.

13-Feb-11

Did I mention we walk a lot:)

13-Feb-11
One of the most important things to remember about shed hunting

NEVER tell someone you don't trust about your spot!!!!!!

13-Feb-11
I will actually be doing some shed hunting tips and videos on Outdoorlife Live Hunt.

I will give away a few secrets then, but not my spots:)

13-Feb-11
Thanks Aron!

28-Feb-11
I've been shed hunting for a few years, in the area I hunt in the majority of the bulls start dropping in late march and even more in early to mid april. I agree with south facing slopes. Follow game trails and use Binos to save boot leather. Also glass animals from a distance and if you can find where they bed down and check those areas when the animals are not there. It also appears that the bigger bulls drop their antlers before the smaller ones ( maybe because they weigh more?) One year I found 14 sheds, all but 3 were right side antlers (????) one matched set of 5x5, I also saw a bull drop one antler and watched him shake his head for 2 hours until out of sight, then moved up and never found the other one. I also try to be out early if a fresh snow falls during this period as the antler show up against the white back ground really well. I agree with the above don't push the animals they can be easily stressed. Good luck!

04-Mar-11
Synder u look like u r getting fat boy wtf

• Sitka Gear