nehunter 18-Apr-11
Str8Shooter 18-Apr-11
Trail Boss 15-Feb-13
Bloodtrail 15-Feb-13
Bloodtrail 15-Feb-13
Wild Bill 16-Feb-13
Casador 16-Feb-13
18-Apr-11
I wanted to share a sweet App that Android phones offer.

I was walking a few properties last weekend and decided to use the "Map" App and see where I was.

I turned off the satellite view and it showed me the individual property boundaries. It just added another 200 yards of hunting territory for me because I thought it ended at a stone wall.

Its very accurate, I would guess its within 10 feet.

It showed the State Property boundaries as well.

If anybody needs help using it, just email me and I will show you how to use it.

Steve Davis

18-Apr-11
Is that part of Google maps ? Does it tell you who the property owner is ?

18-Apr-11
Yes Google runs the software, and NO it doesn't show who owns the property just boundary lines.

Go to your APPS and look for MAPS.

18-Apr-11

nehunter's embedded Photo
nehunter's embedded Photo
Here is what the boundaries look like on the phone.

18-Apr-11
Thanks Steve, that can be useful. I make numerous trips to town halls.

15-Feb-13
Yes that sounds like a great app. I would like to know how to get that app for my phone. I have a straight talk phone with android on it, please let me know what app it is. we have 1,100 ac. to hunt an need to know the property lines in the woods. Thank You.....

15-Feb-13
Just go to google maps. Its not an app.

15-Feb-13
One more thing...it doesn't show the property lines for all towns. And you have to zoom in to certain degree to have them appear.

16-Feb-13
Nehunter,

Gps can show you your location within ten feet, only if the satellite reception is perfect. Leaves on the trees, clouds, overcast and obstructions can put you off by as much as fifty feet or more.

I've been using a Garmin personal GPS for geocaching and it tells you the present accuracy of your reception.

16-Feb-13
That's a great tool to use for approximate locations of property boundaries, but don't assume they are correct. Best bet is to check with town hall. Many times they are pretty close, but I've also seen areas that are WAY OFF, even municipal GIS website applications are sometime inaccurate.

Wild Bill, that's a good point. accuracies on cell phones and handheld GPS units are decent. For hunting applications, they are good enough, ie finding stands, waypoints, features, trails, etc. Many factors contribute to GPS inaccuracies like multipath phenomenon, overall satellite positions (PDOP), and the software you use to acquire and/or download your data.

If you want surveyor-grade GPS units, it's gonna cost you tens of thousands of dollars. But gaining a couple hundred yards of extra hunting space can definitely be safely argued using handheld or cell phone GPS units.

• Sitka Gear