drmattcline 19-Jul-11
gobbler 19-Jul-11
babysaph 19-Jul-11
bowfisher 28-Jul-11
bigotisjeff 30-Jul-11
bkbowhunter 30-Jul-11
bowfisher 02-Aug-11
15-Jul-11
ok so i had a "biggest deer youve killed" thread, and got to wondering the biggest deer you guys have seen, describe antlers, when, and where? for me it was march 15 2009, he kept his antlers late, he was a straight typical 12-14 point with about 12 inch g2s, somehwere around 18-19 inches wide, and appeared 4 1/2 years old, it was in an urban setting just after dark, your turn :)

15-Jul-11
One year in Wyoming county I had a buck with 1 antler about 30 yds. from me that had 7 pts on the one side. Looked 5-6 years old, g2s were around 12 inches and the g6 was still about 4-5 inches. He looked like he would have been in the 170-180 range if he had had both antlers.

One year on my farm I saw a buck that was in the 155-160 range and had some extra trash. I saw him at noon the saturday before gun season came in chasing a doe across the road. That was the first and only time I ever saw it.

15-Jul-11
I hope I never have to go through seeing a bug buck with only one side

15-Jul-11
I never had a good shot at it. i didn't know what to do. I knew there was a good buck in that area, i had hunted it for 2 years and had never seen it. The next year there wasn't any scrapes or rubs on that ridge.

15-Jul-11
Ya I had a decent buck on trailcam 2 years ago had o e side nd I just thought to myself if he steps out wut do I do!?!?!?

16-Jul-11
When I was in dental school I saw a buck that I know was over 140. It was standing between two trailers in a trailer park where you would never think of hunting. I can still see him and that was in the late 70's. LOL

16-Jul-11
Oh foRgot to say the estimated score of the big one I saw, im estimating about 170- 185 straight typical

18-Jul-11

palser64's embedded Photo
Since we are talking deer with only one horn.....Here are pics of a deer that I was hunting two years ago. I was very close to him a couple times, but never got to sling an arrow at him.

18-Jul-11

Another pic of him....these pics were taken out of bowrange!!

18-Jul-11
This leads up to a good question.

Would you shoot a nice or large buck with only 1 antler?

When that happened to me I truly didn't know what to do. It turned out that i never really had a shot, but I didn't know whether to shoot or not if I got the chance.

I know that it's really unlikely here in WV that you could just wait until next year and hope it had both antlers. But the reality is it only has 1 antler. You could match up with an artificial reproduction but that isn't the deer you shot. if you're going to reproduce half the rack why not reproduce the whole rack with a 180 frame? You could mount it just the way it is, which is what I would probably do, but they just don't look as good with one antler.

Anyway, what would each of you do? and why?

18-Jul-11
Largest I seen were 2 bucks in Pike co. Illinois. One was an 8 pointer the other a 9 pointer in the 140s. Never got a shot they were about 150 yards out. The largest in WV was an 8 pointer in the 140s here in Jefferson co. behind my house in a small patch of woods in a subdivision. Seen him once havent seen him sincethat was 2 years ago. However Sat morning i had 4 deer at my fence. ! doe and 4 bucks. A spike a 6 pointer and a 10 pointer. The 10 point is about 16 to 18 inches wide with tines about 6 to 8 inches tall. The spike tried to mount the doe several times. They took off before I could get camera.

Jay

19-Jul-11
good question gobbler. I have always wondered the same thing. If you are trying to outsmart a big buck and you end up getting him in bow range and he has dropped his horns would you shoot? I would but that is me. Some guys like the horns and I do too but it is the same deer. funny how a set of horns makes the deer so much better in the hunters eyes.

19-Jul-11
And lots of deer are mounted with different antlers. Jus saying.

19-Jul-11

drmattcline's embedded Photo
drmattcline's embedded Photo
I killed the biggest Buck I had ever seen in Mingo county on November 18, 2006. He scored 184 3/8 BTR and is #2 in WV for semi-irregulars killed with a bow. He also grossed 174 Pope and Young but his split brows were a 10 inch deduction.

19-Jul-11
I didn't mean to hijack your thread. i'll start another one.

19-Jul-11
That is a nice buck

28-Jul-11
bucks look and sound good boys lol saw a nice one the other day, hell go bout 130 mayybe 140.... but he was a mule deer lol

30-Jul-11
BIggest buck i ever saw in WV was at Cabelas in WHeeling..LOL

30-Jul-11
sevreal years ago prob.10 at summersvill lake area was bowhunting on the ground found a thicket with a great trail runnig thru it the 2nd day i was there a huge buck came runing by not sure how big he was but the bigest ive ever seen the reason he was runing he had to dogs chasing him i jumped up an stoped them a little scary for a moment but the buck was not harmed by the dogs or ME lol hunted the spot again never saw him again...

02-Aug-11
I was hunting in one of my favorite spots in Mcdowell Co back in 94 and had the chance to shoot a monster buck with one antler.

The first morning i saw him he was following a doe, and as he stepped across the ridge, i skylined him and saw how big he was and got weak in the knee's. As he moved closer i noticed he only had his right main beam and it was as big around as a coke can.I calmed down.

He came pretty close to me, but i had 4 more bucks within 125" to 130" come by within 30 min's of me. Followed up by one of the biggest bucks i've ever seen in my life. He looked like he had a rocking chair sitting on top of his head. He was a monster, and i'd be affraid to guess how many inches of antler he had on his head. His rack went strait up!

I hunted hard for a weak and passed a 10 pointer because i felt i could get a closer shot than 40yds.

The next day i was hunting on the steep side of the mountain, 10ft from the bank and it looked like 100ft strait down below me.

I was just over the crest of the ridge and i could see the otherside of the hill going down.

I watched as two deer come up out of the bottom and it was a Huge buck following a doe walking right for me coming up the center of the ridge line.

As i was drawing back to shoot, the doe passed by me within 12yds and the bucks head popped out from behind the tree just behind the doe and it was the one antlered buck i had been seeing all week long.

I had two bucks that would score around 130" feeding around twords me on a flat 30yds to my right and i got gready. Instead of taking a 12yd shot on a buck with one antler, bigger than anything i've ever killed with two antlers (He had five huge tines on his one side) i let him walk right by me.

i watched the other two feed right up under me in the brush and treelimbs and then watched them turn and go the otherway.

I should have shot the one with one antler, but hindsight is 20/20.

02-Aug-11
did u eevr hunt that area again?

02-Aug-11
Long story.

One of the nice 10 pointers was wounded the next year along with another 8 pointer, and it gets worse.

I'll leave it at that though. There's still been some nice deer come from out of the area. I grew up there and still go back from time to time.

• Sitka Gear