sir misalots 30-Aug-11
Beeze 31-Aug-11
Beeze 31-Aug-11
Saxton 02-Sep-11
Saxton 05-Sep-11
bohnter 14-Oct-11
Saxton 14-Oct-11
16-Aug-11
Im not promoting baiting deer. Hunting over bait etc. Ive never hunted over bait but wouldnt say I never will. I know some discourage the use of baits even when it is legal. I often will "chum" an area to get deer to get in the area. So I started making my own food block. Here are the instructions and ingredients. Get a 5 gallon plastic pail. Fill it with deer corn. Then pour that corn into a large tote. Spray non stick baking spray liberally inside the pail to aide release. In tote mix corn with 1 pound of corn meal. Add I jar of cheap peanut butter or peanut butter powder. Then pour in 16-18 ounces of pancake syrup. An 1 cup of salt (I also sprinkle salt inside the oiled pail liberally) Now the tough part is mixing (small hoe or spade makes it easier) Once corn is coated pour mix back in pail. Put weight in in to help compress and leave in hot building for days to cook and get hard. Once hard take them to the field and turn over and slam it on the ground. These are much bigger and a hole lot cheaper to make and the deer love em. So do coons. These can be modified and made smaller with a big wood screw or screw in tree step stuck in the botton (for puttong on fence post etc) Have fun with it (if you want too)

17-Aug-11
Thats a keeper!

19-Aug-11
Good idea! Thanks for sharing.

23-Aug-11
OK Sir Misalots, 2 questions: 1st and most important...What the heck is a "tote"? and how big of a jar of peanut butter or is the powder better? I'm gonna give it a try as soon as I find out what a Tote is. Now I do know what a tote sack is.

Beeze

23-Aug-11
OK Sir Misalots, 2 questions: 1st and most important...What the heck is a "tote"? and how big of a jar of peanut butter or is the powder better? I'm gonna give it a try as soon as I find out what a Tote is. Now I do know what a tote sack is.

Beeze

24-Aug-11
A "tote" is one of those plastic storage containers that you can get a Wal-MArt.

24-Aug-11
Man I'm all over it now , I have some of those in the attic. Now I'm not saying I would bait but I will whack any deer that sneaks in and trys to steal my corn!

Beeze

29-Aug-11
Yes , a tote is a large plastic container. You could use a wheel barrel or any large container that makes it easier to mix. Jar PB or powder doesnt matter. If you use jar PB it helps bind but powder works well with more syrup.

Cure time depends on many factors. Heat Humidity Amount of liquid used, etc. Its trial and error but even if its loose they still eat the s#$% out of it. Put out some the other day.

What I found they love more than anything is the following. Grape drink powder (Krogers 1.99 can) I can salt Corn meal Mix equal parts. Sprinkle and small piles.

Beats cmere deer by far. Ground its beat up around my blind. Have fun

29-Aug-11
OK, thats equal parts grape koolade, salt and cornmeal? I'm gonna make a food block this week, I'll post how it comes out. A heated room for it to cure wont be hard to find here in South La.!!!

29-Aug-11
Beeze Yes, equal parts is fine. Makes a great attractment. Grape seems to be very popular here. I was thinking of making a heavy concentrate with water and salt and spray vegatation with a 1 gallon sprayer.

An un-used car is a great place to sit the block to cook. I stuck mine in my jeep cherokee to cook.

30-Aug-11
I had some left over Apple Buck Jam that I substituted for the pancake syrup. I will let you know if it works. I will have to try the cool-aid mix also. Great Ideas!!

30-Aug-11
I wonder if a little rice bran in the mix would help pack it. It's gotta be 200 degrees in the attic so that's where I'll set them for a couple of days. I'll pick up some buckets today and mix in a wheelborrow.

30-Aug-11
Beeze Yes Rice Bran would help Im sure Its a lot of trial and error to get the right consistency to harden. I also add a heavy weight on top to compress. FYI

31-Aug-11
I'll let you know how they come out!

31-Aug-11
Saxton, did the apple buck jam work?

02-Sep-11
Beeze, I have been out of town for a couple of days; and it has been "cooking". I will check it tonight. If it hardens...then we will have to see if the deer like it. I will let you know.........

05-Sep-11
The block solidified well....now to see if the deer like it. To be continued.

14-Oct-11
put one out and after a week of it being gone they are still digging the ground for more. works great.

14-Oct-11
I used the bucket from an Acorn Rage Infused due to a long walk to my stand site. I put a camera on my block to catch the action. The block lasted 3 days.

Beeze- the buck jam worked great!

• Sitka Gear