Flinger 11-Dec-11
>>>--arrow1--> 09-Jan-12
BowHuntingFool 09-Jan-12
Soup 10-Jan-12
lame crowndip 10-Jan-12
16-Sep-11

Kevin from Wisconsin's embedded Photo
I struck out last week for some solo DIY WY antelope and took a pair of nice bucks!

I hope you'll enjoy the story and pics.

But first I must thank Flinger (aka Chris) for all of his help.

16-Sep-11

I found a piece of BLM land that holds a ridiculous amount of antelope on it, but it is surrounded by private land.

I sent the landowner a letter in February requesting permission to cross her land. She responded to my letter a week before i was to leave and granted me permission to cross her land. Before her email i was working on plan B and C..

my camp for the week

16-Sep-11

I left WI last Thursday and after a night in Rapid City SD, I arrived in WY on Friday afternoon and set up camp and my blinds.

Because I wasn't hunting a traditional water hole, more of a short creek, I had to come up with way to get the antelope close.

I went with a decoy blind to make the antelope have to drink by one of the two blinds.

it never failed the antelope preferred the decoy blind..

16-Sep-11

16-Sep-11

I didn't hunt on Friday, but was in the blind bright and early on Saturday morning.

16-Sep-11

There were antelope everywhere at first light. If the WI DNR was allowed to manage WY antelope they would start EAB immediately!

Nothing was coming closer than 60 or 70 yards away from my blind, but just before 11am a buck came down from a hill to the southwest of me.

He made a beeline to my decoy blind and then turned west and paralleled the creek walking past my blind at fifteen yards.

Having everything finally come together I was able to draw, aim and make a good shot on him. He jogged forty yards and literally fell over.

I was ecstatic! but it was very warm out and after gutting him and a few pictures I ran him to the meat processor.

His bases here huge. I haven't had him scored, but his bases have way more mass than the 78" pronghorn I shot a few years ago.

16-Sep-11

The next few days i roasted in the blind waiting for another antelope to make the fatal mistake of coming too close to the blind, but they were very skittish.

long days in the blind require a fully stocked cooler and good binos.

16-Sep-11

Then on Tuesday I had a buck come into the water hole by the decoy blind with a herd of does.

I ranged him at 27 yards. He was quartering to me slightly. I got into a good position in the blind and made the shot.

I heard the arrow hit and I thought I made a good shot, but the buck ran 100 yards in front of me and bedded down.

You can see from the picture where my arrow hit. I will spare everyone how agonizing the next six hours were as I sat in the blind and watched the buck.

I knew he was hit, but even with my 10x binos i couldn't see a drop of blood on the buck.

I would only learn later that the quartering shot was more extreme than I had thought and the arrow missed the heart and lungs.

A group of bucks came along and eventually (after six hours) the buck got up and walked over the ridge.

I didn't want to push the buck so I waited until the next morning. Luckily a cold front had moved across WY.

As I crested the hill where I had last saw the buck I saw his white belly fifty yards away. He was stiff, but still warm. I was expecting to puke at the prospect of a gut shot, but the guts were intact.

I cant believe the coyotes, which I had around camp every night, hadn't found him before I did.

16-Sep-11

The 2,398.3 mile round trip to WY didn't seem too bad after killing two antelope bucks.

I have to give a big hand to Dan's Meat Processing of Casper- they were reasonably priced and really worked with me to get me what i wanted.

16-Sep-11

I now have a freezer full of awesome antelope steaks!

16-Sep-11
Congrats on a great trip Kevin. Thanks for letting me "live in your shoes" for a second. There's nothing like hunting, but the stories help when I'm not living it myself.

17-Sep-11
Great job Kevin, both on the hunt and your photos and story. There's something to be said for the guy that does a DIY hunt and has such success!

17-Sep-11
Great work Kevin! Great story and pics, makes me want to get after the antelope right now!

17-Sep-11
You were sweating in the blind because of the Maxim magazine!

18-Sep-11
Thanks guys; except for tree geek. ...twelve hours in the blind can be taxing, even with constant pronghorn action, so stimulating reading material is a must!

Jerod- congrats on your hunt too. I have never hunted muleys and loved every second of your story.

18-Sep-11
Very nice. Thanks for sharing.

12-Oct-11

mist-a-hog's embedded Photo
Kevin, that is one thick set of horns on the biggest goat! Here is the one I shot a couple weeks ago, also in WY. My 3rd with a bow, what a blast they are to hunt.

12-Oct-11

And this happened on the same hunt! Can anyone guess what happened here? And no, it isn't me in the water. And no, it isn't to recover an animal. And yes, we laughed and laughed..........

12-Oct-11
mist-a-hog -

Awesome goat! He's really tall.

and your second picture makes me laugh no matter what you're looking for...and rc I dont think they need a tow rope for an arrow

after a couple of days sweating in the blind I would have jumped in...maybe bought a floating chair to hunt from, one with an umbrella

12-Oct-11
Interesting picture. I am not sure that someone is getting to his Haynes for just an arrow. Gotta be something more expensive and bigger, I am guessing.

Holding the rope is also interesting. Unless this dude thinks there will be quicksand (quickmud?), I don't know the reason to have the safety rope - unless he planned to tie it to something and have the 3 goofballs pull it out.

I have no idea.

12-Oct-11
Way to go Kevin.....I just gave you some tips....you did the rest yourself.

AND WOW what a goat there buddy. CONGRATS!

13-Oct-11

My buddy set his blind next to this water hole. Overnight a hellacious wind came up, and he obviously didn't have it staked down well enough! Being it was a new blind, he didn't want to leave it. The rope was to pull him out if need be, we had no idea how deep the water was or how soft the bottom was. At first we tried hooking the blind with the rope and hook, but we never could get it to catch. So he grits his teeth, strips down, and in he went. It wasn't exactly warm out either, as you can tell from our long sleeves and bibs. He turned a bit blue, but he got his blind back!!

14-Oct-11
very cool!

09-Dec-11

thought I would update everyone- with just over thirty pounds of meat from one of the antelope we made three batches of bulk Italian, Polish and breakfast sausage. pretty good and the freezer is getting full.

09-Dec-11
I would post pictures of the backstraps in the freezer but those were gone months ago. Best venison ever!

09-Dec-11

and I got my heads back this week.

09-Dec-11

twice apparently...

09-Dec-11

I had the biggest pronghorn scored with the Pope and Young Club.

anyone willing to take a guess at the score?

10-Dec-11
Congrats on the great trip and story. I am not to good at judging antelope but i am curious to hear what it scores.

10-Dec-11
Hard for me to judge which is bigger by the picture. Take a single picture, with a good background and send it.

I did not get one this year, but I am enjoying the meat from my friends goat. Good field care and quick cooling.... I thought it was quite good, and had several meals in deer camp on it...............

11-Dec-11
i'm going to say 75 on the big one.

28-Dec-11
good guesses. it scored 74 Pope and Young Club inches even.

09-Jan-12
Great Hunt Congrats (:

09-Jan-12
"You were sweating in the blind because of the Maxim magazine!"

LMAO!

Congrats!

10-Jan-12
I have never ate antelope, is it good eating? I had a friend tell me that it was not very good to eat. Just curious???? Great animals, thanks for sharing.

10-Jan-12
Antelope is very good. Just get the thing cooled as soon as you can, just like whitetails. Some guys drive around a couple of days before cooling...does nothing for the taste.

10-Jan-12
thanks guys!

Antelope steaks are my favorite!

• Sitka Gear