wild1 08-Aug-15
123Stephen321 09-Aug-15
QQ Archery 10-Aug-15
IdyllwildArcher 11-Aug-15
wild1 11-Aug-15
02-Oct-11

wild1's embedded Photo
wild1's embedded Photo
Tough to whack pigs on public land in Southern California. I let the air out of this small-ish boar (125 lbs.) after patterning him, and two other hogs, for about two months. Twenty-six yard shot as evening approached and he only went about fifteen yards. Should be tasty.

03-Oct-11
nice job man ! Yeah, the public land pig hunting in CA overall is pretty tough. I have yet to have any luck.

03-Oct-11
nice job man ! Yeah, the public land pig hunting in CA overall is pretty tough. I have yet to have any luck.

04-Oct-11
Great job. Next up, unicorns (about as many on public land in CA as hogs).

18-Nov-11

GannettRidge 's Link
Hey Great Public Land Hog! Sounds like you put the time in on that trophy. Good work.

07-Feb-12
Hogs are more intelligent than dogs. I read somewhere that they will play dead when they hear a helicopter. If you are hunting w out dogs they will let you walk rt by..public land has all the brush and chappareletc they hideout until the last hr of sunlite. Man you did your homework. Cowdogs work good l like kelpes. When I go ill take a gun for backup I love my dog.

15-Feb-12
Awesome hog! My buddies and I have been invited to hunt pigs down by San Diego. What county did you harvest this one?

17-Feb-12
Great job hunting those hogs. Congrats!

25-May-12
I tried public land hogs in california, but all I found was a good mule deer spot! Congratulations to the hunter.

30-May-12
Yeah, taking a pig in Cali with a bow is an accomplishment in-and-of itself, much less in So Cal. I've found some (sign), but man are they tough even with a gun.

10-Jul-12
Thanks fellas. Here's another one I recently whacked. I was actually after an elusive big boar that I've captured on trail cam for over two years. He's really cagey and clever, having the hardest time catching up to him. He was running with this sow, but I just couldn't get a shot at him, had to take her - couldn't pass up such a gnarly hog on public land in southern CA.

10-Jul-12

wild1's embedded Photo
wild1's embedded Photo
Thanks fellas. Here's another one I recently whacked. I was actually after an elusive big boar that I've captured on trail cam for over two years. He's really cagey and clever, having the hardest time catching up to him. He was running with this sow, but I just couldn't get a shot at him, had to take her - couldn't pass up such a gnarly hog on public land in southern CA.

10-Jul-12
Good day, Wild1. Not asking for hot spot or honey hole of where you harvested this boar, but would you mind sharing the county of where you bagged this elusive hog? Especially since you mentioned SoCal. Thank you.

Tony

10-Jul-12
Good day, Wild1. Not asking for hot spot or honey hole of where you harvested this boar, but would you mind sharing the county of where you bagged this elusive hog? Especially since you mentioned SoCal. Thank you.

Tony

10-Jul-12
Tony -

PM sent, check your messages.

10-Jul-12
Got it. Sent you one right back.

12-Jul-12
I've given up for now due to looming deer/elk season and the heat.

I know that I'm on them cause I'm finding sign, but it's gonna have to wait till November I guess.

What I was really trying to find was a place in SD county where I could hunt pig and my A22 tag at the same time to maximize time and I think I've found a couple places, but I've had a hard time finding an archery spot that would set me up on pig and deer since the spots that I've found usually put me right on the water to have a shot at the pigs because of the brush.

I'll have my SD pig yet!

Grats wild1 on another nice pig!

Putting together consistent pig hunting in SoCal is an accomplishment!

12-Jul-12

TOXO23's embedded Photo
TOXO23's embedded Photo
A buddy of mine is out there right now scouting for pigs. Good thing about A zone is that it incorporates pig country with deer. So it's a double up. He's in the San Diego area as well, so we'll see how the opening season goes and then we'll decide when to head south for pigs again. For sure during the break between archery and general A zone seasons. Like pig hunting but love deer hunting even more. Deer has priority.

08-Aug-12

wild1's embedded Photo
wild1's embedded Photo
Got another public land hog, but it was the smallest and ugliest one ever. Had to take it because it was public land and because we needed to roast a whole hog for a party.

09-Oct-12

wild1's embedded Photo
wild1's embedded Photo
Whacked another DIY public land pig. One very tough sow, and probably the toughest hide I've skinned. Twenty-two yard shot, about a twenty-five yard recovery. Solo drag-out was difficult!

22-Oct-12
4 hogs and counting! Awesome job!

I still need to arrow my doe to fill up the freezer, then its back to Operation Porky! I'm envious! I really want to get back on them, but pigs can wait since there's no season.

Curious as to what county you're getting them in?

26-Jun-13

wild1's embedded Photo
wild1's embedded Photo
Got another DIY public land hog, in So. CA. last week. Went out with three arrows, heart shot with one, had a really big, fearless boar come in to investigate me (or my kill),sidearm jammed so I had to fling another arrow at the boar as it faced me (cutters clearly visible), head-on from 15 yards away (self-preservation). Now left with one arrow....lol. Never found any blood or arrow from the big boar. The small boar (about 130 lbs.)will be very tasty...took me almost three hours to get it back to my truck.

26-Jun-13

wild1's embedded Photo
wild1's embedded Photo
The "skinning shed"....my garage.

26-Jun-13

wild1's embedded Photo
wild1's embedded Photo
One of my better shots. He didn't go far.

28-Jun-13
Nice work Gary... Congrats. Ed F

28-Jun-13
Thanks Ed....good luck this fall - look forward to reading (and seeing)one of your hunting adventures.

30-Jun-13

elkmtngear's Link
Gary you are really getting good at this game!

Congrats!

Best of Luck, Jeff (Bowsite Sponsor)

01-Jul-13
Thanks Jeff! The good news is, I never post all of them - there's more!

02-Jul-13
Good to know there's a few public land honey holes out there. Time for bambi now eh?

02-Jul-13
Good to know there's a few public land honey holes out there. Time for bambi now eh?

02-Jul-13
Bambi...and Yogi.

04-Jul-13
Good job! Keep em coming! I'll post my public land SoCal hog one day!

29-Aug-13
WOW! Wild1, I am super impressed for 2 reasons (1. the number of kills (2. southern California kills...

Outstanding!

01-Nov-13
Haven't been able to go back but FHL sbowed something promising on Memorial weekend.l

03-Jan-14

wild1's embedded Photo
wild1's embedded Photo
Starting out the year with a whack! New Year's day, 15 yard shot, thirty yard recovery on public land. She might have reached the 150 lb. mark, but probably a little less - either way, it'll be tasty. Really tough gettin' it back to the truck.

05-Jan-14
Gary, you're a SoCal hog killing machine!

Grats again!

05-Jan-14
Thanks Ike, I try! Happy New Year to you.

30-Mar-14
Wild1, what county are you harvesting your public land hogs from? Not asking for any specific locations. Just curious. I've been to San Luis Obispo and Monterey and Monterey has been the more optimistic location for harvesting a hog. Talk to me, Wild1.

30-Mar-14
Wild1, what county are you harvesting your public land hogs from? Not asking for any specific locations. Just curious. I've been to San Luis Obispo and Monterey and Monterey has been the more optimistic location for harvesting a hog. Talk to me, Wild1.

08-Apr-14
TT -

Wild hogs can be found in 56 of the 58 counties in California. Central CA. is probably the best place to find them, private property being the issue there. I've killed mine in 3/4 different counties (so far), all in So. CA. Be prepared for a LOT of time and energy scouting. Might be more cost effective to hire a guide, or pay a trespass fee. Good luck.

08-Apr-14
Done deal, Wild1. Scouting these elusive hogs is a must for any serious pig hunter. I feel it that this is my year.

16-Apr-14
As soon as the rain starts falling next fall, I'm going shrooming with a bow. If I get skunked for swine, at least there's a decent chance I'll walk out with some kind of edible.

15-Jun-14

wild1's embedded Photo
wild1's embedded Photo
Father's Day DIY public land hog. Stalked it to 13 yards. Nice boar with a super-tough hide. Difficult time dragging it out - my back is killing me!

15-Jun-14
Nice one wild,. What bh are you using to get through the sheath? Can't complain about the drag cuz you know LOTS of friends are here to help you drag or carry it out.

16-Jun-14
WT, I use Slicktrick Magnum 125.

16-Jun-14
Nice one... congrats. Ed F

17-Jun-14
Wild1, You've done it again. Man, I don't know where you're pulling out these hogs but keep up the good work. I would've been more than happy to have given you a hand dragging out "any" pig. Congrats!

Tony

17-Jun-14
Nice hog wild1. Maybe the thread title should be changed to, "wild1 and his public land piggies." Good stuff man!

10-Oct-14

socal777's embedded Photo
socal777's embedded Photo
Wild1 your awesome. Nice pigs,I like the colors. Im chasing some around the same area.

11-Oct-14
I gotta give it to you guys for being that far south and harvesting hogs. Either we're jinxed or just not doing right. We've seen them, taken shots but after that we've seen nothing since. I'd like to know the general area or forest y'all are stalking to harvest these elusive animals.

13-Oct-14
socal -

get on 'em, they look tasty!!

TT -

You know where they're at, you've seen 'em. I've whacked 'em in three different southern CA. counties. Keep at it, and good luck! By the way, I use a bunch of trail cameras and spend a ridiculous amount of time and energy chasing 'em (I don't golf).

11-May-15

wild1's embedded Photo
wild1's embedded Photo
Another DIY Public Land hog. I hope it's a tasty one.

12-May-15
GJ Gary!

12-May-15
Thanks Ike!!

14-May-15
When are we gonna have that SoCal BBQ? We outta try to plan it before Ed sets wagon's east for AZ.

15-May-15
I like the idea - when does Ed leaveā€¦.?

19-May-15
Ed's gone to Carolina in his mind.

24-May-15
Looks like another tasty one, Gary...congrats!

Just barbecued the last of my ribs Yesterday evening...so damn good! Gots to get me another piggy!

Best of Luck, Jeff

26-May-15
Thanks Jeff!

Hard to beat all the goodies that come from a wild pig!!

06-Aug-15

Trad Tony's embedded Photo
Trad Tony's embedded Photo
Wild1, my utmost respects go to you as a Bowhunter. My buddy in Ramona has been looking for areas to hunt hogs. They're there but not in the public areas.

I've put up a trail cam but someone got a 5 finger discount so the only places I put my cams are where we deer hunt.

Congrats! Boars with Bows are always tasty.

08-Aug-15

wild1's embedded Photo
wild1's embedded Photo
Tony -

Thanks for the kind words! I just let the air out of another one yesterday (DIY public land).

08-Aug-15

wild1's embedded Photo
wild1's embedded Photo
Just noticed my bow didn't make it into the above post...lest someone assume it was a (*gasp*)rifle kill.

09-Aug-15
Extremely Jealous

Just moved to the Sierras, I'd like to find some hog hunting here.

10-Aug-15
Save one for us Wild one hahah ,congrads you sure are a hog slayer

11-Aug-15
Nice job Gary!

You are a big problem for California pork!

11-Aug-15
Thanks fellas! Good luck this fall everyone.

• Sitka Gear