BIG BEAR 25-Jan-12
BIG BEAR 14-Feb-12
Autumn_Archer 15-Feb-12
BIG BEAR 15-Feb-12
BIG BEAR 21-Feb-12
hunter 26-Feb-12
whitetailer 05-Mar-12
03-Jan-12
This is a program on the Sportsman's Channel featuring 2 brothers from Michigan dropped in Alaska for 28 days.... Left to survive on hunting and fishing....

They portray it as a life and death survival situation......

I say.... What a freaking joke !! They fly in 2 plane loads of the most modern equipment..... It looks like Cabella's had a going out of business sale..... The best tents/ wood stoves/ fly fishing gear.... etc. etc. etc.,,,,,,,

They catch a half dozen fish (With the best fly tackle) within an hour of being dropped off...... It lead me to think.......They could simply survive on fish for 28 days....

This is nothing more than a 28 day hunting trip in Alaska in September......... Sure I'd like to do it......... But please stop portraying it as life and death....

I probably got hungrier in my 2 days of land survival in the swamps of Florida in the service than these guys got...........

Dick Proenneke they are not. He survived over 30 winters alone in Alaska..........

04-Jan-12
I was kinda thinking the same thing. I am sure that the producers aren't gonna let these guys die while filming a show. I always thought the same thing about bear gryls. Nobody is gonna let these people die.

04-Jan-12
They should drop em off in downtown Detriot, thats as real as it gets.

04-Jan-12
They started off the series with them leaving their families and implying that they may never see their families again.....

Then imply that if they don't kill something to eat,,,, they may not survive....

Then they start caribou hunting..... and taget the "herd bull" ,,, and bowhunt......

Instead of simply dumping the first caribou they see with the rifle,,,,,, and feeding themselves.... I would think one caribou would ensure that they don't starve to death in 28 days..... let alone all the fish they have right outside their tent------

It's entertaining. It's interesting......... But it is not life or death...... and I think they insult everyone's intelligence by portryaing it the way they do........JMHO.

04-Jan-12
Let em hunt the Wexford county swamps for 28 days...that WOULD be life and death.... lol

04-Jan-12
Whether you think its stupid or not you still watched it. As long as they got to run commercials in front of your eyes thats all they care about.

04-Jan-12
I wouldn't say that I think it's stupid.......... I think they take a dream hunt for many hunters........

And try to hype it as a "Hunt or die" scenario....... I think that's way overboard. They could spend the entire 28 days in camp eating fish and survive......

I enjoy outdoors programming........ But I also call a spade a spade when I see it......

Like when guys air a show where they see one giant buck after another;;; Then you look up the outfitter they used,,,, and find they were "Hunting" in a pen......... But never mentioned it and made sure never to show a fence....

I think these guys took a good idea,,,, the sportsmans channel hyped it in a way to get ratings,,,, way overboard with the "Life threatening" aspect of it......

I'll watch the series........with a skeptical eye.

Chris and Casey Keefer. Anyone know where in Michigan they are from ??

04-Jan-12
Gaylord Mi. I don't think they have done a show in Mi other then filming there adds.All the hunts I have seen were out of state or Canada.I do try to watch there show because there from Mi.I think Jays is one of there big sponsors. I agree with some of what you say but the show is entertaining so far.I can see those two coming to blows before its over.I also think it would be a dream hunt for anyone.

04-Jan-12
Dream hunt for sure. The Sportsman's Channel website says they attempt to kill caribou, moose, black bear and wolf......armed only with a bow....

Yet the video trailer clearly shows one of them aiming a rifle,,,, and I'm almost certain one of them was hunting with a rifle on the first episode.... but maybe I'm mistaken....

They must have been in possesion of the appropriate tags......... And I would assume that they had the legalities of it covered..... I believe you either have to hunt wih a guide or a resident of Alaska to hunt moose there....

If their tags allow for the use of firearms,,,,, They pretty much could have dumped a caribou on the first day and put an end to the "Hunt or die trying" suspense....... They were into caribou on the first episode....

Yes it is entertaining. I'll continue to watch.

04-Jan-12
Not to mention the human body can usually survive up to 30 days without food. But, it really does sound like a dream hunt to me. I've been in some harsh conditions while hunting the Porcupine Mountains in the U.P. Eight inches of heavy wet snow and gail force winds coming off Lake Superior and it felt like home to me. Doesn't sound like their conditions were too bad. Would have loved to join them.

04-Jan-12
I would take where they are over a UP cedar swamp any day.

05-Jan-12
They are from Lovells Mi. and are real good guys . Very talented too. Casey wrote alot of the background music for their show Back Country Quest Outdoors. The music was recorded at Kid Rocks Studio in Detroit with someone else singing (kind of blues)lead. I see your point about being dramatic. Maybe none would have tuned in if they portrayed it any other way.? I will be watching and enjoying it in the coming weeks. They are trying to live the dream and have worked hard to make it happen. Sure beats the quality of hunting programs in the past.

10-Jan-12
I liked the first episode. Yes,they have a ton of gear, necessary for an extended stay in the backcountry, and filming to boot. They didnt take any food, which is risky. You burn a ton of calories a day on that type of trip, subsisting on what you gather or shoot is a big chore. I spent 22 days in the Colorado backcountry this fall, and it flat will wear you out. Even eating almost 4000 calories a day, I lost 15 lbs on that trip and it kicked my butt. As the seasons progress, fish may or may not be available, and game can be tough to find at times too. There is an element of risk to it, a survival situation Im not so sure about.

I thought the filming, as well as the scenery is spectacular. Besides, anyway you can pull off a month of wilderness Alaskan( or any where else) hunting is awesome, no matter how you do it. Beats the hell out of watching other programs where theyre hunt penned up "game', or sitting over a baitpile with a crossbow and acting like they actually accomplished something special. Looking foreard to watching this series unfold.

One other program I do like is Backland Experiences. He hunts with just about anything, but a lot of trad hunting. He puts together a good program, and has done a few where you have no meat in camp unless you shoot or catch something. Throws in some flintknapping and other outdoors skills as well.

Tred Barta, I cant stomach. Maybe because it rhymes with T....

11-Jan-12
John..... It's an adventure of a lifetime for sure..... with an element of risk by taking no food.....

But the Sportsman's channel website trailer says they attempt to kill caribou moose and black bear armed only with bows.....

"Hunt or die trying"........

Come on..... The first thing they did was catch a half dozen fish on about a dozen casts..... Then dump a caribou with a rifle.....

The end. No more threat of starving to death..... If there was REALLY a survival situation.... They would have taken the heart/liver, lungs,,,, and anything else they could eat off that caribou.... instead of packing out the cape and horns; and leaving all the guts....

No one dies in this series. I guarantee it. If they got into ANY trouble whatsoever....... I would bet the farm that they would be on the satelite phone,,, and have a plane in there within hours....

I like the adventure. I dream of a hunt like that...... (And I wouldn't mind losing 20 pounds while I was doing it).....

But survival situation it is not.

11-Jan-12
Modern Day Survival in the Wild Show: (whispers to the camera guy who has plenty of food) "We have been without food for two weeks... we're sitting in our makeshift igloo blind, hoping for something to eat....its getting desperate here.....oh the agony....but wait....we can see a moose coming in out of the swamp...its pretty far away, but moving closer.... its coming our way... its almost in range... just another 20 yards... this is really exciting.... its now or never...BUT WAIT... the antler mass is just not up to standard... I think we're gonna have to pass on this one, its just not a "shooter". Dang....

12-Jan-12
Oh I'll agree its no survival show. I was thinking the same as they cut up the 'bou. Heat, liver etc is good susistance food,as is all the fat they trimmed away. Another thing I noticed, they commented that leaving the bones in would help keep the meat from spoiling faster by not exposing as much of it to the air. Yet while packing it out, there were no hind quarter leg ones sticking up. Hmmm. Theres no way they packed it out in one trip, unless the film crew was hauling meat too. Neither of them were carrying the rifle or a bow when they packed it out, at least in the parts they filmed.

Ive packed a few elk quarters, and a 'bou is comparable in size. Its a 5 man job for one trip with cape/horns.

Im wondering, they obviously wont keep all that meat edible for 28 days, so aside from wasting it(big time crime in AK) they'll probably have to have some of it flown out.

But none the less, I love wilderness adventure such as what theyre doing. I could do that trip. A month floating wilderness AK would be the Holy Grail of a hunting trip. Id take a bow and a rifle. And Id take food. Im curious how it will unfold as it goes along.

dave, as far as moose goes, thats a likely scenario. A moose has to have a 50" wide antler spread to be legal in AK. TV show script or not, it doesnt getthem the go ahead to shoot a sub-legal animal. Caribou to my knowlege dont have any minimums. The only way around some of the complex regs in AK is if you are a resident and a subsistence hunter.

In the last episode, they closed showing them "cooking' meat over the fire. The flames were a foot higher than the cooking grate. Obviouslythey dont have a clue about how to cook meat over a campfire. I et that blackened caribou was tough eating. I volunteer to go along and make sure any meat obtained is properly cooked.

13-Jan-12
I only saw the first show, so tell me are they still alive yet?

Toe

13-Jan-12
I hunted for elk in a tent camp in Idaho across the border from Montana for a week.....

Anyone who hunts the high country out west regularly could do the hunt they did....

My land survival training in the military was only two days... and it was more of a survival situation than "Dropped; Proj. Alaska".....

No weapons for us. No high tech gear. Trying to catch rattle snakes with a forked stick in the palmetto swamps of Florida to eat for dinner....

This series is a great high adventure hunt for sure... The producers simply put a bad taste in my mouth by implying that it was a hunt (With a bow) or die scenario......

The footage of Dick Proenneke surviving alone off the land in Alaska for over 30 years is simply amazing........ I highly recommend it for anyone who hasn't seen it. I couldn't survive one winter there like he did..... and I'd wager that the Casey brothers couldn't either.....

13-Jan-12
John.... substitute caribou for moose in my example... or little bear vs big bear.... my point was facetious... Outdoor TV show star whispering to the camera that the potential target animal might be enough to feed them, but it isn't big enough to be a shooter that will satisfy the camera.

14-Jan-12
In all reality, the biggeset hazard they face on this trip is simply floating the river. AK rivers can be dangerous, and flipping a raft and losing essential gear is a real risk all float hunters take.

Second to that would be bears, which are also a common hazard with this type of hunt.

Id like to see their gear list, and how much stuff thyre hauling around. Obviously filming gear is going to make up a large part of the weight.

Watching this show, and seeing my ackpack sitting int he corner of my shop gets me itchin for another adventure. Looking at my wallet, tempers that thought a wee bit!

The hardest part of putting together any extended remote hunt is finding a good partnerto go with you. You need to have someone with the same desire, ability and means to do it. That is tougher than finding game once you get there.

Doing it solo is a option, but a very risky one.

18-Jan-12
I am enjoying the show esp. cause I know the guys. Floating the river is the hazzard. Don't like all the commercials so I hope the DVD's available.

18-Jan-12
Mike; I enjoy hunting programs which show hunting in Alaska....... It's a dream for many hunters including myself......

I'm sure those guys are great guys and capable hunters and outdoorsmen,,,, No doubt...... It's just the whole way that the Sportsman's Channel is depicting it that kind of rubs me the wrong way.....

Hunt and feed yourselves or die trying.....(Armed only with bows according to the Sportman's Channel website).....

In the first 3 days,,,, They catch enough fish and kill a caribou with a rifle.......

Survival situation solved,,, Right.... Hunker down and live off caribou meat and fish for awhile,, and look for another caribou,,, Right ??

Nope..... Pack up camp and take the risk of floating down stream..... where moose hunting is better......

Why would they float downstream when they already have meat;; and more caribou within sight of camp ??

How do they know there is better moose hunting downstream ??

It's obvious that the outfitter has instructed them to float downstream to where the moose hunting is..... And unless they have motors to get back to the caribou camp..... They have been instructed to float to a designated landing spot for the airplane...

Floating that river in fully packed rafts looked to me like a lot more work than hazzard; as the river was too shallow and they had to drag the rafts in spots.........

I am enjoying the show too....... I just think they should have portrayed it more along the lines of The Adventure of a Lifetime.........where they only eat what they kill.......

Instead of,,,,, Hunt and kill something,,,,or die trying.........

19-Jan-12
I hear Ya. The rafts they have are nice , I wonder if they survive a drop out of a plane . Monty Browning goes to AK. every year and the plane drops his stuff off from the air and then lands about 6 miles from the drop down river . He then has to walk to his stuff. At times he has to repair the raft before he can use it. Now that is roughing it.

19-Jan-12
I had a couple of thoughts as I watched itthis week. First, camera gear aside, I have some serious questions on the amount of gear they are hauling around. Ive done 22 days in Colorado, and didnt carry 2 plane loads of gear! Other than food, which they didnt take, each guy should be under 100#. The tents, hile sturdy, seem awfully big and heavy. I think Id go with a 6 or 8 man kifaru tipi and stove for far less weight.

The rafts seem kinda big too. It appeared having 1 man in it was causing problems controlling and steering it even in not so fast waters. My thought was if he(they) cant keep them from spinning in slack water, theyre in trouble when they hit some fast water. We'll see I guess.

But what really makes me cringe is the shots of them cremating caribou meat,cooking it on a roaring fire instead of a bed of coals. Burning it to death in roaring flames not only makes it harder to eat, it destroys a lot of the nutrional value of the meat.

Needing calories that they need, I cant understand why they would trim all the fat off the meat, as it provides essential calorie dense nutrients. Might not taste the greatest, but if you're living off what you provide yourself and nothing else, nothing should be wasted. Liver, heart etc is all very nutrient dense foods. Of course we have been so programmed to believe fat is the devil when it comes to food, which is not true at all. In their circumstance, I'd waste nothing off any animal I could get. they could also easily render the fat off game and use it to fry fish in.

All in all its an interesting program, despite the networks hype. Like it or not, the why it was hyped sucked us in to watch it, which is the goal. I hope they get into some moose. Its a hunt show first and foremost, the "survival" spin- not so much. I wonder what the camera crew is eating.

19-Jan-12
I'm thinking of producing a new outdoor reality show...Alaska's Biggest Loser Survivor. The show would have a guaranteed two year run as the contestants lost weight in the wilds of Alaska carrying too much gear, not eating enough food, and spinning in the river until they blew chunks. Contestants would start at 500 plus pounds and the first one to reach 180 wins.

19-Jan-12
Dave; My prediction is that they harvest a moose on day 6.......

Then in an effort to avoid letting any of the meat spoil........ They consume an entire moose and a caribou in 3 weeks.....

They both put on 50 pounds; and their cholesterol goes through the roof from eating so much meat.....

19-Jan-12

Deadeye's Link
THIS is survival in the wilderness. Kind of lengthy so click on my link.

Alaskan adventurer from Jackson County faces grizzlies, blizzards and temperatures as cold as 80 below zero to experience the Arctic in winter

Published: Thursday, January 19, 2012, 6:28 AM

Updated: Thursday, January 19, 2012, 8:56 AM

By Brad Flory | Jackson Citizen Patriot

20-Jan-12
Wow, He is the crazy whiteman.

20-Jan-12
Wow,,,,,That's awesome !! Henderson and Proenneke and Lance Mackey are true Alaska survivalists.....

20-Jan-12
His wife must be a saint, she allows him to take off into the wilderness alone while she is home with a 7 month old child?

20-Jan-12
Leaving your wife with your seven month old baby to traipse the wilderness for months on an annual trek speaks to some character issues (in my opinion). Its not that "she" allowed it.... its an issue of priorities. All I can say is "wow"...

20-Jan-12
The Lord makes all kinds but I have to agree with DB. It is comparable to those who "Must" climb MT. Everest while knowing 10% don't come home. Better reasons to risk your life comes to mind.

23-Jan-12
Leaving your wife with your seven month old baby to traipse the wilderness for months on an annual trek speaks to some character issues (in my opinion). Its not that "she" allowed it.... its an issue of priorities. All I can say is "wow"...

All a matter of perspective. his wife might be a nagging psycho pain in the arse, and this is his only opportunity for a break. either that, or be kept cooped up with her in a cabin through the long AK winter. Being gone for a few months doesnt make you a badguy, or mean you have character flaws. Military families for one deal with it all the time.

Granted, this is an entirely different scenario, but his sense of adventure is remarkable. Personally, sleeping in a tent in -80 temps isnt on my list of things to do, unless the alternative was to be cooped up with someone similar to my ex wife. Thats as close to -80 as I ever want to get.

23-Jan-12
John...... Some guys even go into burning buildings voluntarily.........Now THAT's crazy........

I'd rather strap on a bullet proof vest every day and respond 90 miles an hour to places where people are shooting at each other........then go into a burning building........... :^)

25-Jan-12
I like the show's content and the two brothers who are providing the adventure. With that being said it is a television show with sponsors and guidelines to adhere to so it may seem outlandish at times but who cares?? They are living a dream and those that are criticizing the show are watching it weekly--I am pretty sure that's the point. Keep on living your dreams fellas! Sounds like your from Lovell's according to another member here--Hope to see you at the Riverside Tavern to buy you a beer and here all about your Alaskan Adventure.

25-Jan-12
Kevin,,,,,,, Yes I'm watching and yes I'm being critical of the show......

It is a dream hunt...... I'll watch pretty much any and every hunting show on Alaska that I can get my eyes on.......

I'm sure there is more excitement to come...... But frankly.... the show was pretty boring for the last 2 weeks. They didn't need to use 2 weeks worth of shows,,,, to show them rafting down the river....IMHO.......

When they arrived at their new camp.... One of them said something to the effect of "Alaska threw every thing she had at us on that float".......

From what I've seen of the show so far..... Alaska hasn't even begun to throw everything she has at them......

-80 degree temps in February with 60 knot winds and 4 feet of snow....... That's the kind of stuff Alaska has to throw at you.

25-Jan-12
Chris,

I totally agree with your statement above, not much program content in the last two shows. It almost needs to be and hour long program. I am a little soft when it comes to Alaska as I just got back from Kodiak Island hunting Sitka Blacktails with my Trad archery gear in November. Incredible place- one I will be going back to in the next few years.

The weather seems to have been pretty friendly up to this point, I would imagine though it is much milder in September all the way around.

I would think the mental fortitude to be there for 28 days and away from family will be the biggest challenge.

25-Jan-12
Yeah,,,, That's tough. I did a 6 month deployment when I was in the Navy.... That much time away from family is definitely not family conducive....

I would bet that with all the money that went into their equipment..... They probably are checking in regularly (If not every day) with family via the satelite phone....

The guys on Gold Rush Alaska did 2 summers in a row away from their families;; knowing that if they don't make a profit,,,, They might all lose their houses back home..... That had to be tough mentally too.

14-Feb-12
Well..... After watching this weeks show..... I continue to be very disappointed at how the Sportsman's Channel has portrayed this show.....

The website for the Sportsmans channel continues to state that the brothers attempt to kill moose, caribou, black bear and wolf armed only with a bow.....

They killed a caribou right off the bat with a rifle.........

Now,,,, at the end of todays show.... It appears they are about to kill a nice moose with a rifle......

Believe me.... I have NO PROBLEM with rifle kills..... I have killed moose, caribou, elk and black bear with a rifle......

What I have a problem with is mis-representing the show......

15-Feb-12
Im amazed at the amount of gear weight theyre hauling around. While gear is a personal choice, Im pretty sure they could cut a lot ofthat weight, and work invloved out. The tents, while Im sure are comfy and durable, there are many other far lighter and easier to set up options. The wood stoves they have are the same as the one I use for a base camp that weights almost 40#. Knowing they are limiited on food, I would have lightened my load considerably, as moving,setting up and tearingdown all that gear is gonna burn a lot of energy that would be better suited for use hunting.

15-Feb-12
Yeah,,,,,, I'm sure the gear choices had a LOT to do with their sponsors.......

I'm sure the sponsors dictated to them which products they had to display them using....

21-Feb-12
O.K.,,,,, I take back anything negative I had to say about this series......

The footage of their moose kill was flat out awesome........

After they put that toad of a bull on the ground from camp...... The footage of the smaller bull walking up to the big dead bull reminds me of turkeys attacking a freshly killed gobbler.... In fact... There are a lot of similarities between moose hunting and turkey hunting.....

The only thing I would say is that I think they were freaking insane not to kill the smaller bull when he presented a broadside shot at about 25 yards.... They had a chance to double up on bull moose..........and I can't say that I've ever seen that on film.........

The excitement of their kill brought back vivid memories of my own moose kill in 2000. I swear to God,,, It's one of those days that only comes in a close second to the birth of your own children.....

26-Feb-12
the view of the moose turning towards them after being shot is awesome,

I dismissed the survialist aspect of the show and watch it as a hunting adventure

05-Mar-12
I just got to watch this. Here is what I want to see, I want to see them skin and cape out an entire moose............ I want to see the field process, because, I am going moose hunting, and want to know about it.............

I wish they would show you, what they used for knives or axes, and why, and stuff like that............

I think alot of these guys who are the editors and producers, have not idea of what hunters really want to see......................

My daughter does TV production, and so I asked her. This is what she told me.... Dad, first they do have to have some type of script, and believe me, there is alot of work, in doing all the filming. But they also have to add a dose of reality TV, for drama, etc.... They are not going to show you what you want to see...... For that, you need to rent a video on field care for a moose........ Dad, you live in a different world,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,ha ha

• Sitka Gear