wipy 15-Jan-12
Steve White 15-Jan-12
Drop Tine 15-Jan-12
Steve White 27-Jan-12
Steve White 25-Feb-12
NovemberMadman 08-Mar-12
Steve White 10-Mar-12
13-Jan-12
Cable restraints there's a few laws with them can't be within reach of anything solid so he wraps himself up and chokes. But my best luck with them is ill drive into a tall section ofgrass leaving 2 tire tracks then ill drop a deer carcass or bait in the middle and set cables on my truck tire trail the legal distance back from the bait at least 25 feet. I like a big section of grass at least 300 feet long so I can set a bunch on my tracks in and out. That works best for me I still have better luck with footholds I average about 10 a year in cables 20 in legholds.

14-Jan-12
There are several regulations to using cable restraints.

Can not be set where the animal can reach Rooted woody vegetation greater than a 1/2" or any part of a fence or any other immovable object that can cause entaglement.

Can not place them closer than 25 feet of sight exposed bait.

You need to use a specifically made cable restraint for WI. regulations with the correct stops, breakaways, slide/washer, and cable length and diameter.

They work ok, but our equipment regulations are prohibitive to catching great numbers of yotes in them. You will need a catch pole also in case you get a non target animal and need to release it. A piece of 4'x4' with some slots at the top for handles and the corners rounded is nice to have as a block for releasing animals.

14-Jan-12
Had the discussion a month or so back about bait. As far as we could tell. It was not legal to drop a deer carcass anywhere on public lands. Even though the law does allow you to set over sight exposed bait if far enough back. It does not say you can drop a deer carcass legally.

14-Jan-12
Don't quote me on this but I believe that as long as you only trap on your land you don't need a trapping license. But you do have to use legal equipment!

15-Jan-12
i wasnt talking about public land... ive never trapped public and a deer carcass is considred exposed bait. and im not sure but i think u can if there a nuisance. go to trapperman.com youll find answers to anything there.

15-Jan-12
I know I jumped the gun on the carcass thing on public land. People get confused quick though when it comes to the regs. Did not want anyone to start thinking they could bait the on public. Although I do wonder about it. Since I have heard of people getting tickets for dumping fish parts on their land.

Yes, those snares would be illegal in WI. Would still have to follow the laws on their use on your own land. Although you could dispatch nuisance animals on your land without a license. A trapping license does allow for you to dispatch a caught critter.

Minnesota trap products has a book cheap. Think it is called guide to snaring. Also sell the WI legal snares. Just like the snare shop.

Really though the regs make it a pain in the butt!! Some of the best locations are illegal due to the entanglement thing.

I'm with Droptine. Legholds are normally more effective in this state. hard to beat a good dirt hole set. Either way it will not be instant success. It is going to take some time to get it down.

15-Jan-12

Drop Tine's Link
This is the one you need to use!

27-Jan-12
WAY TO GO!

25-Feb-12
Good job! Is that 2 females now?

08-Mar-12

NovemberMadman's embedded Photo
NovemberMadman's embedded Photo
Thought I'd give this snaring stuff a try. Here is one after the first two got away.

10-Mar-12
Awesome Nubbin. Those are the ones you want to help with your problem.

• Sitka Gear