Coldsteel 20-Jun-13
Snag 05-Jan-14
Brian Howell 24-Sep-14
Brian Howell 27-Sep-15
Brian Howell 29-Nov-16
Brian Howell 29-Nov-16
26-Jan-12

Brian Howell's embedded Photo
"On the mountain it is dark and cold, but without these discomforts there would be nothing."
"On the mountain it is dark and cold, but without these discomforts there would be nothing."

26-Jan-12

~ Remembering Polipoli ~

It's been over twenty years now since Hawaiian Homes reclaimed the land that they used to lease to the state for public hunting on Maui. The Kahikinui Game Management Area was usually referred to by hunters as Polipoli. If you took Waipoli Road up past Polipoli Springs State Park and around to the backside of Haleakala there was a hunters cabin at the end of the road. From there it was an hour hike across a volcanic tundra and then two hours downhill through a beautiful rain forest to get to the grasslands surrounding Puu Pane hill. Countless Spanish goats and wild pigs abound in the idyllic hunting terrain. Those were the good old days...

26-Jan-12

Packing out from Polipoli, Pu'u Pane hill
Packing out from Polipoli, Pu'u Pane hill

26-Jan-12

Trail marker, Polipoli, Kahikinui GMA, Maui -
Trail marker, Polipoli, Kahikinui GMA, Maui -
Gary Alves, and his late father "Old Man" Abel were my bowhunting mentors on Maui.
Gary Alves, and his late father "Old Man" Abel were my bowhunting mentors on Maui.
In my opinion, Polipoli (Kahikinui GMA) is the most beautiful hunting area in Hawaii. Rolling grasslands and Ohia forests make ideal terrain for bowhunting Spanish goats and wild pigs. From atop a ridge, I arrowed this billy goat that was in the bottom of a gulch with a perfect lung shot from 45 yards.

26-Jan-12

~ KING OF THE HILL ~

At one hundred yards, I begin a belly crawl. Up ahead, a pack of jet-black goats gather around a grass covered lava knoll. The biggest billy centers the bunch, as if he's been elected king of the hill.

Easing across the lime green landscape, low-level shrubs shield my methodical catlike advance. Trade winds in my face, Maui sun at my back, spot and stalk hunting conditions don't get much better than this.

At forty yards, I rise to my knees and nock an arrow. Considering the abundance of game, I'm fortunate not to get busted. I might be able to sneak forward another eight yards, but opt to cash-in now.

Suddenly, my target animal stands up and stretches, his long black hair shuddering as he hunches his back. Just as he takes a step down from the panoramic mound, an orange Easton spears him from the rear and blows through his brisket.

As if a hand grenade got tossed in their trench, startled goats scramble left-and-right! A rust colored billy erupts from a lava rift and then stops broadside from me just fifteen yards away. Lucky for him that he sported horns a little short... his fate saved for another day.

26-Jan-12

26-Jan-12

26-Jan-12

Old Perreira Ranch truck
Old Perreira Ranch truck

26-Jan-12

My third archery kill circa 1983 when we hunted through with the club.

26-Jan-12

Mauna Kea from Polipoli
Mauna Kea from Polipoli
Spanish billy goat specifically heart shot (usually I aim for the lungs) at 12 yards on the backside of Haleakala, Maui. Hawaii hunting terrain doesn't get much better than this.

26-Jan-12

The Killing Fields - Pu'u Pane Hill, Polipoli, Maui
The Killing Fields - Pu'u Pane Hill, Polipoli, Maui
Canyons and gulches of Pu'u Pane, Polipoli
Canyons and gulches of Pu'u Pane, Polipoli
~ THE KILLING FIELDS ~

Puu Pane hill, Polipoli, Maui.

This one was wicked... a 42 yard broadside shot. The arrow flew a little left and low of where I aimed (which was the mid-level ribcage lung area). Nevertheless, the Rocky Mountain 3-blade arrowhead simultaneously skewered both forelegs and the heart.

The billy goat bucked like a bronco and then flopped like a fish out of water. In about five seconds the commotion was over and a deadly calm filled the air. This is the bloody samurai scenario that I walked up on. 5-star on a Nugent scale.

26-Jan-12

26-Jan-12

Morning at Pu'u Pane hill, Polipoli, Kahikinui GMA
Morning at Pu'u Pane hill, Polipoli, Kahikinui GMA
Pu'u Pane hill camp
Pu'u Pane hill camp
Pu'u Pane Hill
Pu'u Pane Hill
Dawn from above Puu Pane hill, south-east Maui.

26-Jan-12

Abandon cabin at Polipoli Springs
Abandon cabin at Polipoli Springs
Pig hunting at Polipoli Springs Maui.

26-Jan-12

Ulupalakua Ranch from Polipoli Springs, Maui
Polipoli Springs, Maui
Polipoli Springs, Maui

26-Jan-12

Polipoli Springs
Polipoli Springs
~ Polipoli Springs, Maui ~

It was my 35th birthday during the summer 1993 and I was working on the cruise ship which was docked in port at Kahului harbor on the island of Maui. I had lunch off so I took a rent-a-car up to Polipoli Springs which is located above upper Kula and the Ulupalakua Ranch. It's a pristine forest area with some Chinese Fir trees that top two-hundred feet. When I discovered that I forgot to bring my hunting hat I knew that this would be my lucky day! I snuck up close on some wild pigs and shtoook >>>======> the fattest one. In this picture I'm packing a napsack full of deboned meat as I make my way back through the towering trees. Unfortunately, many of these magnificent fir trees were lost in recent forest fires.

06-Feb-12
Great shots!

17-Feb-12

24-Apr-13
Thanks Nicolai!

24-Apr-13

28-Apr-13
Two weeks ago, I backpacked through the Kahikinui Hawaiian Homelands (KGLMO) to get to Kahikinui Forest Reserve. I camped for 4 days and had a wonderful time bowhunting. There are still lots of big billies back there. And, like you said, the Ohia forests were amazing. I was having lunch under an ancient Ohia, and had a great time watching a flock of about 20 I'iwi birds chase each other through the branches above me. Absolutely amazing area. This thread was one of the things that motivated me to get into that area, since I usually just hunt the Polipoli Spings and Kula Forest Reserve areas. Thanks for sharing your pics from back in da day!!!

28-Apr-13

Maui Rhino's embedded Photo
Maui Rhino's embedded Photo
Here is the billy I brought home with me. After killing this one, I passed on a larger one. I can't wait to go back and hunt there again!!!

20-Jun-13
Hi thanks for your postings. I'm looking at going to maui for a fam vacation in feb of 2014. Does anyone know of local guides. Looking for pig and goat hunt. 3 days is what I'm looking at... Thanks

05-Jan-14
Thanks for the info Brian. I hope to hunt these hills this winter while my wife enjoys the beach.

24-Sep-14

Polipoli, Maui near Pu'u Pane hill
Polipoli, Maui near Pu'u Pane hill
This was on the backside of Haleakala, Maui around Puu Pane Hill (Kahikinui GMA or Polipoli) during 1983. I was hunting with the late "Old Man" Abel Alves, and his son Gary. It was my 2nd bow kill. My bow was a Jennings Mag-T set at only 45 lbs. of draw weight. My arrow >>>======> an Easton Gamegetter 2016 aluminum shaft tipped with a 4-blade 140-grain Rocky Mountain Razorhead. I was shooting with fingers, no trigger release. Obviously, the 140-grain 4-blade broadhead was way to heavy for the light poundage bow and arrow spine, and this was in great part what contributed to the wickedest kill in my now 30+ years of bowhunting.

Anyhow, I had stalked to within 27-yards of this goat which was quartered away as it fed across a dew wet lava creek. I drew back, anchored, aimed between my 20 and 30 yard sight pins, and let fly. The slow arrow lobbed into the air, and then plunked down low slicing a rib as it penetrated only three or four inches in tight behind the goat's foreleg. Basically, the arrowhead stuck smack dab in the middle of the heart. A 4-blade Rocky Mountain Razorhead was now occupying the space dead center within this poor animal's primary blood pumping organ...

The young billy goat bucked off its hind legs as it kicked backwards like a bronco. A high pressure stream of blood shot ten feet straight up into the air. It was as if I had put my thumb over the end of a garden hose trying to stifle the water flow, yet allowing a fine stream to jet out. The streak of blood spray wavered like a magic wand for 3 or 4 seconds as the billy goat bolted away... Then, as if I removed my thumb constricting the flow, every last drop of blood within this animal's body blast into the air in one final expulsive cannon burst as the goat collapsed stone dead mid-creek. I couldn't believe what I had just witnessed. It was like watching the final scene of an old samurai film as the swordsman lops off his enemy's head... a fountain of liquid red cast high into the sky.

27-Sep-15

Pu'u Pane Hill
Pu'u Pane Hill
Pu'u Pane Hill
Pu'u Pane Hill
A herd of Spanish goats encompass Pu'u Pane hill.

29-Nov-16

Pu'u Pane Spanish Goat
Pu'u Pane Spanish Goat
Camp Polipoli
Camp Polipoli

29-Nov-16

Old fence at Polipoli Springs