Copperhead 05-Apr-12
N126 05-Apr-12
N126 05-Apr-12
Shelstin 08-Apr-12
heartshot 08-Apr-12
Thornton 08-Apr-12
Shelstin 08-Apr-12
04-Apr-12
This may sound really, really stupid, but this is how my brain works late at night.Is it legal to smack a Tom from a boat with a bow while floating for crappie or walleye. I've had too many chances, and my bow was never in the boar. Just asking...may be a totally stupid question. Last year, we had a good tom come to the shallows, strut around in the water, and SWIM out towards our boat to check us out. NEVER had that happen, never heard of it happening, and was totally Pissed because I had forgotten the camera. To be honest, I was kind of breaking in a diaphram call. If it's attacking us, can I shoot it with my CC weapon, if I am afraid for my life? Can I smack it with a plastic oar, and call it self defense. Will Al Sharpton or Jesse Jackson show up at the press conference? Okay...I have to slow down....Now...is it legal to just shoot the freakin Tom from the boat? On land. Seriously. What about Sharpton? Rick

05-Apr-12
And, this thread is not debate free.

05-Apr-12
I don't believe it's legal to shoot any land animal from a boat. However if the oar was to whack the tom about the head and neck area whilst trying to move away from the oncoming turkey then you could probably get a carcass tag for a boating accident.

05-Apr-12
I really dont know but my thinking has always been that as long as the motor is NOT in the water you are ok. But as always the best way to find out is to call Pratt.

05-Apr-12
As for Sharpton or Jackson showing up, I doubt it unless it was a religious turkey and if so how could you tell or if it can be suggested that you killed this turkey because of the color of his feathers.

05-Apr-12
Now what would be the fun in that? I don't know about you or any of the others, but I turkey hunt because it is a thrill having them come into bow range... If I was fishing (which I wouldn't be... ever..) I certainly wouldn't want to "waste" a tag on a turkey that could have been called in and shot under fair chase conditions...

Somethings are just better off not talking about... This may qualify as one of them.

Don't get me wrong though, I couldn't give two squirts less about what you do... So, if it's legal have it, but I don't think it is... Ask KDWP&T

05-Apr-12
Got my curiosity up so I had to look. Under Turkey Regs - General Info - 3rd item, it says it is illegal.

05-Apr-12
You shoot ducks from a boat why not a turk on the bank. You can shoot deer, squirrels from a boat.

05-Apr-12
I would have thought so too till I read in the turkey section under "It is illegal to:". It is legal for waterfowl from a stationary boat. Ponder this one Dave, if a turkey stepped into the water would that make him a "water fowl"?

05-Apr-12
The regs also said motorboat so I wonder if a canoe would be legal. Guess that would be back to a call to Pratt on that one. My experiences in a canoe could be considered a little "shaky" though.

05-Apr-12
Amigo- Could you provide a link? I could not find it. I was interested in this same topic last year after I found a good deer hunting area next to a river. If I remember correctly the regs state "that the motor must be off and progress ceased" in order to hunt from a boat.

05-Apr-12
Go to KDWP&T site, Hunting, Hunting Regulations, Turkey & then General Information. Listed under the "It is illegal to".

Kent

05-Apr-12
Oh Damn, Now you have done it Rick.

Next years legislative session will consist of at least a half dozen Senate/Rep. Bills introduced by the WHACK-A-TURKEY OAR COMPANY, that is if they can get some "CONCERNED" SENATOR who will gladly script and write the bill because he has been "ALMOST" hit by a low flying turkey that was just crossing the river While he was fishing.

Then the Department of Tourism will have to mandate some regulations to control the type of oar used. You know such as, color, length, no ore locks can be attached, children under 15 and boaters over 55 allowed use the new arrow dynamic oar with small wind holes in the paddle for easier, faster swing speed, then the holes can be closed with a paddle slide for back to water use. ect, ect.

Will it ever end?

05-Apr-12
There was a state representative in my office this morning, I could call and ask him to write up the bill but I don't think he's planning on running again so that would make him a lame duck and he would probably feel sorry for the turkeys.

05-Apr-12

N126's Link
Sheltsin,

Just curious, not looking to start anything or nothing, don't mean anything by it, just asking, are you a KBA member?

Sorry for the duplicate post in there and the dead link. Don't know how that happened. I can't see the html for the dead link to delete it.

05-Apr-12

N126's Link

08-Apr-12
N126, I was a KBA member for several years. Probably 5+. No offense taken. About 6 or 7 years ago I showed up at a legislators meeting and was put off a bit by the KBA guys in attendance. I don't really want to get into it here, because I think it's a good organization, and I really miss the newsletter! I would probably be interested in getting back in. It wasn't a big deal, but it just turned me off a bit. Some of the questions that were asked, in my honest opinion, were not the way to get things done and were argumentative. I was disappointed, I guess, in the tactics. It was certainly not diplomatic and upset the legislator. They inferred to themselves as representing the KBA. Looking back now, it was hopefully a mis-statement on their part.

I was also in the NRA until the "Jack Booted Thugs" comment was made by the organizations President at that time. I cancelled my membership that day.

I found the link to my original turkey question. I am assuming that it's still illegal to hit Sharpton or Jackson with an oar. It's still a little vague to me. Has anyone ever seen a turkey swim? In all actuality, it seemed to be chasing some bugs on top of the water.

08-Apr-12
just curious, what difference does it make if he is in the KBA as it pertains to this question?

08-Apr-12
If you chase a chicken into the water it can and will swim lol

08-Apr-12
Heartshot, the way I see it it really doesn't. I was being a smart s$$ asking the question as I did. Not going to appoligize for that, as this forum is usually full of guys who claim to be experts who know much less than I do. But, it goes on and on. I really don't mind listening at all. Having said that, there was some excellent advice here back in the day. They seem to have moved on, for the most part. I am NOT saying that I don't appreciate the honest appraisal. There are some people here that I would like to meet, for sure.

• Sitka Gear