Brascho 19-Aug-12
REX 20-Aug-12
oddbow 20-Aug-12
ID Hunter 21-Aug-12
Wild Bill 27-Jul-23
Wild Bill 11-Aug-23
KHunter 09-Nov-23
19-Aug-12
I and my wife are heading out to idaho hunting elk for our honeymoon in two weeks and neither of us have ever been there before. i have hunted elk successfully in colorado before with archery equipment but not sure if idaho will be similar or not? if anybody has any answers as far as camping in the mountains in idaho that would be great. i also am wondering about four wheeler trails to access camping sites or how to find designated camp sites in the mountains on line?

20-Aug-12
I have never hunted 66, so I can't tell you any specific information about the area. The best I can do is point you toward the National Forest website for the Caribou-Targee National Forest.

This is assuming that you will be on the national forest. You can find out where the office is for the area where you will be hunting and get more specific information by calling them. I would start out by getting a map of the area and a travel map that shows open roads and trails. I am not sure if 66 is an ATV restricted unit or not, which means that legal ATV trails, although open to use by anyone else, are off-limits to hunters.

Good luck.

REX

20-Aug-12
There are lots of camp areas near Palisades Reservoir. Bring your fishing pole. That zone also includes unit 69. There are some great places in that unit also. Get a topo map and check out around McCoy creek near the reservoir. You just need to get away from the trails and roads, although it always seems that you hike your BUTT off and someone rides up a trail with their bow strapped on their atv and claims that they are "accessing their camp". F&G either needs to patrol and punish the violators or just open it back up!!!

21-Aug-12
+1 to what oddbow said.

Also, see if you can track down land ownership info, especially for Unit 69. More and more private ground there, but definitely a good unit to hunt for elk. Some parts get pretty steep and there are tons of places to camp.

27-Jul-23
Great camping along Palisades Reservoir. Unit 66 is a ATV restricted area during hunting season. However, that does not stop some people from using them illegally. Plan on covering lots of miles hiking to get away from the roads, ATVs, and other hunters. Hunting pressure is horrendous! Be prepared for 4-season weather. This is Idaho!

11-Aug-23
OMG! Hunting pressure is outrageous! Look for elk to migrate across into units 66A and 76. Use McCoy Creek as your base zone to begin hunting as far away from trails and roads as possible. Hunting pressure in 66A and 76 may push elk back across the road into 66. Private land boundaries are key for good hunting. Keep a close watch on these boundaries for elk coming and going from private land. Good hunting!

09-Nov-23
How was the hunt Brasho?

• Sitka Gear