DC 29-Dec-12
DC 30-Dec-12
stkshtr 31-Dec-12
DC 04-Jan-13
Joey Ward 05-Jan-13
gobbler716 28-Jan-13
stkshtr 29-Jan-13
16-Oct-12
This thread could be like a log book for everyone. Kills/Bust/Fun trips and the ones that go wrong! Thought this would be fun and maybe educational.

The night before opening morning I'm packing the truck and getting everything ready. That's when my bow stabilizer broke. Thank goodness I had another one. All packed and ready!!!

I woke up early and put on my lucky camo and the pant's ripped all the way across the straddle. Dang, I thought I had lost weight. Guess not? Yeap, I got more camo too. Now I'm in the truck thinking. Do I have everything????? That's when the truck wouldn't crank. So long story short I took off my camo and put on my work cloths and fixed the cotton picking truck. I hope I can get all this out of the way soon so I can get in the woods and have better things go wrong like getting busted by a bruiser.

16-Oct-12
I got to dull a Razorhead last night. Stuck a hole in the ground just under a coyote's heart. At least I didn't stink up an arrow.

16-Oct-12
Won't be able to go until Saturday morning.

16-Oct-12
I will be carrying one BEAUTIFUL self bow that morning. Hope fully get my first kill with it.

17-Oct-12
Well, I did manage to get out this mourning, down on a WMA in north Alabama. A bit chilly first thing, started out with my first doe bouncing 25 yds out from the blind. She must have stayed around an hour before the next two came in to veiw. As luck would have it, I kinda held off on taking any of the does in hopes for a buck. Although, I had a great time in the deer woods, did see some deer, and practice holding on to one for roughly 4 1/2 minutes, before I could make my mind up. Over all 8 does, 12 dozen bushy tails, 2 chipmonks, a better location just off the trail to the clear cuts. Maybe better luck tomarrow, same set, minus all the does, and replace them with 8 massive 190's, all at 20 clear yards....

17-Oct-12
ml, what WMA were you hunting. i live in north ala. and only hunt pblic land. where are you located. jim

17-Oct-12
ml, what WMA were you hunting. i live in north ala. and only hunt pblic land. where are you located. jim

18-Oct-12
Whump Sez; I never thought I would be glad to see green flies until Tuesday. I helped a buddy of mine track a spike that was gut shot and instead of a tracking dog we had tracking flies. We used small swarms of green flies on the dropped gut material to track the deer. It was a 3hr track but we found him. Hunt safe

18-Oct-12

whump's embedded Photo
whump's embedded Photo
Whump sez; this one was hard found---the green fly tracker from the above post. Manimals deer.

19-Oct-12
Who needs a tracking dog when youv'e got a Whump?

Cool!

20-Oct-12

mlhudson's embedded Photo
mlhudson's embedded Photo
We over at Chocco. just off the mountain rd ( wink ;), and jusy off the clear cuts hanging around the acorns close to the running creeks....

21-Oct-12
First time in the woods with no previous scouting. I went yesterday to hunt a good buck I know of and I scouted in and sat up next to fresh rubs and big clumps of droppings. He is definitely still there.

Anyway no sightings of deer. It was very quite. The wind was zero and it didn't even pick up until 10:30. A piss ant farted and it scared me. I watched a spider make a web and took some video. I was getting very sleepy from working 10 hours that night and not getting any sleep and the couch at home was screaming at me. So at 11:30 the couch won and I was pulled that way. I am fired up about the nice rubs. He's going down this year!!!!!!!

21-Oct-12
Good Luck on that deer, better luck next time.....

21-Oct-12
Have not been able to go yet, hopefully this week!

21-Oct-12
Went to Church this morning and afterwards hit the woods with my son. I hooked him up with a camcorder to mount on his bow so he could start getting some footage. Anyway his bow is laying on the ground (with the camcorder attached) as he climbs the tree. In comes a doe and sniffs all around him and starts feeding on acorns. A bird is flying down at the deer and trying to run it off. He said this bird would swoop down at it's face over and over. Now the doe works around and is coming right in front of him at 15 yards. BROAD SIDED. Now he thinks Hey!!! I have an I-phone so I'll just record her. I-phone Vid Coming soon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Q3ozL-gihY

22-Oct-12
Put my son in my favorite stand "killer tree" Saturday morning and they snuck in quietly at 10 yards before he knew they were there. By the time he could get his bow and draw they wondered over to the 2 young bucks just out of range. That afternoon I put him in another favorite on a trail leading to the greenfield and he got a doe at 20 yards with his new compound. Now I can shoot first if they come by me. :)

23-Oct-12

stkshtr's embedded Photo
stkshtr's embedded Photo

23-Oct-12
Congrats to the young Stkshtr!!

25-Oct-12
Whump Sez; That's the way to do it .

25-Oct-12
Darin I know your proud of him. You have a partner for life. Tell him Congrats.

I went to a spot with acorns raining down and the ground torn up with deer sign. Only saw two grey foxes.

26-Oct-12
Thanks Don. He's my buddy. Hopefully we'll make it to more tournaments this year between lacrosse tournaments. I enjoy every minute I'm with him. I usually hunt close enough to watch him kill them just so I can enjoy the experience.

26-Oct-12
Congratulations on the new season kills!

27-Oct-12
Got a 115 lb. doe today.

The story behind the kill is very unusual. I was coming out of the woods heading home in the truck. The vehicle in front of me hit a doe, but not that bad. The vehicle just kept on going. I stopped to see her because she was just standing there. She had a broke back leg and was dazed I guess. Anyway I walked up to her and she tried to run and slipped, so I jumped on her and knock her to the ground and broke her neck. I don't know why but she was covered in mud and I got mud all over me. First time ever that I mud wrestled a deer. Ha!

28-Oct-12
LMAO!

29-Oct-12
Got nice video of a 3pt feeding past and posing for shots Saturday evening. Thought I was gonna get venison until I saw that he had too much hornage. Fifteen inch beam or spread minimum where I'm hunting.

White oak acorns are pouring from the trees here.

01-Nov-12
I went yesterday evening after work and had two, maybe three doe go by just 20 yards away but to thick for a shot. One doe came to with in 10 yard giving me a shot opportunity but I passed.

I went this morning and walked for 45 minutes just to get to the spot where I wanted to hunt. I saw a really big buck here last year and I felt the wind was right to hunt him. Anyway two does came through and one looked right up at me. Head bob, Foot stomp, Side step and the works. She gave me everything she had trying to make me move. No dice! One hour later she was still trying. Unbelievable???? I thought, give it a rest. Then the blowing came. I believe she is going to be a major problem for me trying to hunt this spot. I could have killed her before all this started and I gave her the pass. Mainly because there aint no way I'm dragging a doe out of that place. In fact if I ever kill this buck I'm after, I have no Idea what I will do to get him back to the truck. Worry about that later.

02-Nov-12
Get your hands on a game cart. They are a life saver. Good luck on chasing that buck. Hope you get him.

02-Nov-12
Was able to bag a doe Oct 21. Short shot short recovery. Tasty meat!

02-Nov-12
So I took off early this morning to make the 45 minute hike to my spot (which ended up taking 1 hour 15 minutes) only to get within 30 yards of my stand and get blowed at. Yeap! he was there making a scrape. Dang it. He only ran about 60 yard and stopped. I didn't know if he really knew what I was so I got in my stand very quite and tried to call him back. No Luck. Two hours later the crows came in and went bazerk over where this buck ran to. I believe they were pestering him so bad that he got up and walked away with the crows on his tail. They followed him for at least 300 yards going ballistic. Has anyone else had this happen to deer they witnessed. First time ever for me.

03-Nov-12
Back this morning and saw a big O. Coming back out to the truck I spotted a doe feeding on acorns and tried to put the stalk on her but she moved behind some brush a just vanished in thin air. I tell you she did a Copperfield.

03-Nov-12
Whump sez; I have heard crows carrying on in a place where I knew a buck was hanging out but I haven't really thought about them directing that at one. I have heard owls hoot at deer when I pushed them out as I was going in and I knew that was what was going on because the hooting was on the trail going back to their bedding area and a couple of owls along the trail would do that.

08-Nov-12

slkhdthmpr's embedded Photo
slkhdthmpr's embedded Photo
I killed a doe and a spike opening week! I also missed a nice 6pt the morning right before I killed the doe! Not to much luck after that.

08-Nov-12
Whump sez; whacked a small yearling doe wed afternoon. I shot the deer with a simmons land shark and that was the quickest death I have ever had on a deer. No more than 10sec after the shot she was down and out. I was glad too, I was at least a mile from the truck. I didn't have to do any tracking and by the time I got back I was glad she was small. Hunt safe.

11-Nov-12
I went yesterday and finally found where the big buck I'm after is bedding. Three years is all it took me. I bet I literally walked ten miles scouting this buck. I have a new plan now. I heard him walk past me but couldn't see him to know for sure. He got up from his bed and headed to a big bottom. Oh! and this ridge is only a short 45 minute walk. Found two beds on two different ridges about 200 yards apart. Both look like a cow has been laying there. Now I'm pumped.

12-Nov-12
Son got his first deer with a bow last week and a coyotte with his rifle Saturday, he told me all he wanted to do was hunt now. Lota good years to look forward to.

24-Nov-12
The 17th.. I had two does come in and one had me pinned down for well over 20 minutes. I was recording her and was scared to turn off the camera for fear of the noise it makes causing her to bust me. I won that battle and she hung around for 1 1/2 hours.

23rd. I saw three does being harassed by two different cow horned spikes. Another buck was grunting at the top of the ridge where my friend was. I could here the buck grunting but couldn't see him. My friend saw him and said he was big. He also said he just needed another 2 seconds for a shot. I told him that is hunting. He is new to hunting. This was actually the first deer he has ever seen while hunting. If it's the buck we were after then he is probably a 125-130 class. He is fired up and ready to go back.

25-Nov-12
My son and I went this evening after Church and I could here two bucks sparing in the thicket. A half hour later a six point came under my stand. I could see one other deer, but couldn't really tell what it was. In all I believe there may have been 4 deer that I was listening to or could see. I passed on the six point at 15 yard. Good Evening!

My son said he could here a deer walking toward a bottom but never could see it. He thinks it was a buck because of the steps it was taking. It had that buck sound in it's steps if you know what I mean.

02-Dec-12
No one else hunting I see.

I hunted Wednesday - Saturday. No Kills. Day one - Wildlife Refuge - Saw Nothing. Day two - Cahaba - One doe and a six point. The six point really wanted me to shoot him as he positioned him self for a perfect shot three different times. He then left and came back to tempt me again. Day three - Oakmulgee - Another small rack buck in a different location went by out of bow range and then two fawns. Later, nine long beards fed by. Day four - National Forest - Morning - One doe. That evening - Shelby - one doe and a young nine point. The nine stayed under my tree for one and a half hours. He bedded down just 20 yards away. My friend ask me not to shoot the young bucks and this one was obviously a two year old outside the ears. I got good video of him though. It was cool to just sit and watch.

03-Dec-12
Finally got to spend 2 days in the woods. Got a doe with my recurve. 120 lbs. 20 yard shot and 40 yard recovery. Watched her fall to her death. First kill I've ever gotten on video.

03-Dec-12
Good deal Darrin. So how do you like the video/hunting?

03-Dec-12

stkshtr's embedded Photo
stkshtr's embedded Photo
I love it. I'm using a Gopro so it isn't the best in video (can't zoom) but I like the added pressure. Had deer in range everywhere I hunted but only shot this one because of the camera angles on the others.

04-Dec-12
That ain't no selfbow!!

I've been taking a Gopro along, too. The nice 7pt that led his batchelor group past me Sunday decided to jump the log rather than walk around the treetop where I was ready for 'em.

05-Dec-12
Sorry Buz, I knew where I would be hunting I wouldn't encounter a close enough shot that I would be comfortable with using the self bow. I'm not giving up on getting one with it. I mount my gopro onto my stand. The only drawback I have is I can't swivel 350 degrees which limits the direction of my shot.

05-Dec-12
All I've figured out is a way to get about 180 degrees out front and to the sides. Thinking about getting some kinda swiveling mount, but I know that the more stuff I use the more likely it'll get in the way at the worst possible time. Not much te see with the Gopro out past 20 yards or so, too.

10-Dec-12
My kill the other day was at 19 yards and it picked it up but not as good as I would have liked. I am looking for a swivel but haven't found one yet that will work with the mounts and that will attach to my stand.

10-Dec-12
I hunted Monday - Wednesday and again on Saturday.

Monday - National Forest - I saw one doe and got busted by another deer going in. Hogs everywhere! It looked like a tractor with a breaking plow had gone through. You could smell them. No shot.

Tuesday - Cahaba - I finally saw the big buck I have been after. He is even bigger this year. The closest he got was 60 yards. Only deer I saw all say.

Wednesday - Refuge - Caught a glimpse of a small buck.

Saturday - Refuge - Saw nothing but those pesky black gnats.

16-Dec-12
My son hunted the biggun Wednesday through Saturday.

Wed. He had the biggun chase a doe around back and forth but he never got close for a shot.

Thur. He only saw a doe.

Friday he saw one doe on the evening hunt.

He and I got to go Sat. (They were having a gun hunt which had me a little worried) He saw the one doe again and I could here deer chasing and bucks fighting but could never see them. Later that morning I got down to leave and the (Biggun with a Doe) busted me with a snort. (THEY WERE BEDDED JUST UNDER THE STAND I HAD SAT IN EARLIER) I swear he is doing this just to get under my skin!!!!!!!!!

17-Dec-12
At least you are getting close to him. He's keeping the game fun.

17-Dec-12
Anyone shooting anything on the Cahaba River WMA?

19-Dec-12

DC's embedded Photo
DC's embedded Photo
This came off the Cahaba and few year back.

19-Dec-12
Very nice buck!

22-Dec-12
OK, I went to Cahaba this morning and around 8:40 to 9:00 I had a buck chasing a doe around. I could hear them breathing heavy as they ran around and I still could never get a look at them for the thickness of the woods. At 11:00 a half rack buck came through that I saw last year with 5 points. Three on one side and two on the other. I let him walk last year but I decided I would take him today. Anyway it didn't work out like I decided it would. He jumped the string and I miss-judged the distance and shot high, only cutting the top of his back. He has really grown in body size from last year and I could already taste them tenderloins. Dang It! Now he is on my hit list. I need to redeem myself.

23-Dec-12
dc, you hunting the management area or the refuge.

23-Dec-12
Both, I hunt the management area alot, until a gun hunt and then the refuge. Also I hunt Oakmulgee, Army Corps and the National Forest. Some of the places on the north side of Oakmulgee in the N.F. are covered up with hogs. I was there a couple of weeks ago and the place was torn up and it look like a tractor with a break plow had gone through.

23-Dec-12
Friday, 202 hunters at Cahaba River WMA. 12 deer total, 8 bucks and 4 does. 50 mph winds.....Almost all were taken during early am hours.

24-Dec-12
Take as many hogs as possible! Even the piglets if seen!

24-Dec-12
dc, sent you a pm

29-Dec-12
My son got his first video kill today. I almost got one too but I got busted instead. It would have been really nice for us to get a double. Anyway he got a nice seven point. Ten yard shot. Sixty yard recovery.

30-Dec-12

DC's embedded Photo
DC's embedded Photo
Heres a Pic of my sons buck.

31-Dec-12
Congrats on the kill! Looks like a nice bow kill.

04-Jan-13
Well I don't know about the rest of you but I'm still hunting???? I had the bigun come straight at me. He came so fast that I almost didn't get my camcorder turned on. Anyway he heard the camera turn on and froze right behind a thick mess of vines that I had high hopes of concealing me from his approach. Unfortunately it also concealed me from having a shot at 15 yards. He then caught my wind and blew out of there. He said several times that I stink. I think he was saying shew or sssshhhhhhheeeewwwwww!

I have hunted the past three days without even so much as a sighting of a deer. I do think I might have almost possibly heard one today. I could have sworn I heard a deer feeding on acorns. I could here what sounded like acorns popping. Anyway after a long sit I walked over that direction and low and behold I found acorns on the ground and where deer are feeding on them. I thought I was dreaming.

Yesterday I saw a bobcat. I heard it long before I saw it because it was meowing several times and very loud. I meowed back to it and it turned to come my way but it would not commit to coming into the open woods. I bet it meowed close to a hundred times. I never knew they did that. First time I ever saw that. It was walking and meowing at the same time, over and over.

05-Jan-13
It was a female in heat. I've seen it a couple times during this time of the year. Once, a big tom came in following a vocal female. He then chased her through the woods. Every few minutes I could hear her meowing. They never got close enough for a shot, but I was glad to be part of the woods.

28-Jan-13
I still have not seen a deer in the hunting woods this year. What the heck is goin' on? I reckon deer go nocturnal as soon as the first truck rolls in. I see plenty at night and friends say their trailcams go off between 1:30 & 2:30 a.m.

Oh well, I know where some turkeys are.

29-Jan-13
I ended with one doe with recurve and another with gun while I was driving around property and needed one more for freezer. My son shot one doe with compound and one with gun. Enjoyed the time in the woods even though I didn't kill but one with a bow.

• Sitka Gear