Arrowsmith 24-Jan-13
skipmaster1 24-Jan-13
CurveBow 25-Jan-13
skipmaster1 25-Jan-13
skipmaster1 26-Jan-13
elkhunter-ny 26-Jan-13
CurveBow 28-Jan-13
24-Jan-13
What is the reason for this? I understand the lack of .223 centerfire for all the press about much more restrictive laws for the "black guns", but why the shortage of .22 long rifle? There is not a Dicks, Gander Mountain, or Gun shop within 30 miles of me with a box of 22lr on it's shelves. And, when I go to the Cabela's, Gander mountain, sportsmans guide, Midway, and Cheaper than dirt web sites they are also out with Sportsmans guide inserting a memo in the block for ordering .22 ammo that says something to the effect of, "will not be in stock until October 2013"! Do the big Manufacturers intentially slow up delivery to increase demand and drive up costs, or have 30 million gun owners recently decided to take up plinking with their .22's?

24-Jan-13
I think most people are just stocking up on as much ammo as possible. Most I know want at the very least 1000 rounds for every caliber they own. 22 is cheap so people can stock even more of it. Plus lots of just shoot .22 out of their AR's

24-Jan-13
If my math is right that means about 50 boxes of 20 rounds each at 40-50 bucks per box for winchester centerfire ballistic tip so that is right around $2,250.00 for each caliber I own. Lets see 10 different calibers x 2,250 per caliber. 0, 5, carry the .....$22,500.00!!!!

24-Jan-13
Most of the guys I know have had lots of ammo, so they don't need 1000 rounds more of each caliber and they are not buying premium hunting ammo. They are buying mostly pistol and rifle military surplus. Get 1000 rounds of 9mm for around $300. 223 is now up to 75 cents a round. 7.62 cheaper than that. But yes. I know lots of guys who have been spending over 5k in the past few months stockpiling and are just planning on buying hunting ammo as they need it.

Winchester Ballistic silver tips are my go to hunting ammo as well! Great rounds. My .270 shoots cheap federal ammo almost as well, with the same zero. I can get that for about $15 a box and thats what I do a bunch of off season shooting with.

25-Jan-13
The panic is due to Emperor Cuomo and the heinous law passed by the NYS legislatures. During 2014, we will have to submit to a full background check for any/all ammo purchases. This will drive ammo prices up a lot, IMHO, due to the time and personnel it will require at stores. Buying ammo over the internet with mail delivery will be a thing of the past in NYS. I'm also afraid that relaoding components - cases, powder, primers and bullets, may no longer available through mail order. This is major considering that ~ 2/3 of gun shops have closed from BATF harrassment over the last 15 years or so. Add to this, no private sales of ammo between citiczens ($1,000 fine & misdemeanor for first offense), all ammo sales have to be face to face with bkgd check. And all private firearms sales have to go through an FFL dealer for not more then $10. They can't charge you more... but they can say no-thanks! Guns I have bought online have cost me $30 - $40 for the FFL portion....

I too bought 2,000 rounds of 22 LR at a store last Friday. The only reason I didn't buy ALL they had on the shelf is that the store wouldn't let me....

I also orderer 500 bullets in 224 caliber from Cabelas, they took my order; Midway Arms gave me a message "no ammunition or bullet components to your jurisdiction". Midway has sent me an email apologizing for jumping the gun. That part kicks in during 2014.

I plan many more component purchases as well as ammo when/where I find it.

f*%! Cuomo......

>>>>-------->

25-Jan-13
Does anyone know if this means that we can't buy any ammo out of state? I spend a lot of time in VT. I'm not even talking about large quantities, just like running to the gas station if I need another box of hunting ammo. I would assume we can't, but I didn't see anything specifically about it. What happens when I fly to MT for Mulies?

26-Jan-13
I guess if you don't bring your ammo with you, you can't hunt.

In order to prevent circumvention of these new controls, this bill requires that any seller--whether located in New York or out of state-ship the ammunition to a dealer within New York for in-person pick-up. The dealer is required to maintain records of the ammunition sale and to perform a State review of disqualifiers. Direct shipment of ammunition without a face-to-face transaction prevents a seller from being able to adequately confirm the identity of a buyer through the in-person inspection of a valid photo ID. Without adequate confirmation of a buyer's identity, the benefits of background checks and record keeping are completely circumvented. A law requiring all ammunition sales to culminate in a face-to-face transfer, thereby allowing for effective confirmation of purchaser identity and corresponding background check, is consistent with this scheme.

26-Jan-13
Arrowsmith, we have been friends for a long time, so I will help you out. I'll give you 2 mathews bows with 3 dozen arrows for your guns. You get 2 nice bows and ammo for them, AND I save you $22,500. No need to thank me, that's what friends are for!

28-Jan-13
A fear is that some current sellers of ammunition will stop selling it. Locally, I have heard this being discussed. The background checks required will require more clearks and a lot of time. If a place continues to sell it, the prices will have to be raised substantially to cover teh costs associated.

All in all, this could be a win for the gun banners. Their agenda is to rid society of all firearms. Increasing the cost of ammunition out of sight will make them smile....

>>>>---------->

• Sitka Gear