pappy 06-Mar-13
coonskinner... 06-Mar-13
brock ratcliff 06-Mar-13
COB 06-Mar-13
pieman 07-Mar-13
coonskinner... 08-Mar-13
coonskinner... 08-Mar-13
24-Feb-13
Does anyone know if bowhunters will be permitted to harvest a Buck during the statewide muzzleloading hunt for Does only season proposed for Saturday Oct.12 & Sunday October-13 2013?

24-Feb-13
nope. girls only

24-Feb-13
Big Boys still mostly nocturnal anyways.

24-Feb-13
Why of course! The ODNR does not want to limit it's most valuable new management tool. Bow hunt in ALL seasons!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

25-Feb-13
if you are bowhunting,and have a either sex tag,,,you can harvest a buck with bow during muzzleloader season in oct. the muzzleloader season was set up to take the does using that weapon,,,,so if you are bowhunting those 2 days and you kill a buck ,,,no problem

25-Feb-13
No bucks at all during 2 day ML season. This is straight out of the proposed regulations.

It is proposed that a statewide, two-day muzzleloader only season be added for antlerless deer only during the second weekend of October. No antlered deer may be taken by any means during this two day season.

25-Feb-13
I questioned the fact with a dive, rep at the Obey banquet they simply want more does harvested , so there going to continue shuffling seasons to get what they wants then I ask why not allow the $15 tag through out the season ,stating that as long as the doe does not give birth in the spring that we surely accomplish the same goal,he stated its the biologists decision,so basically I guess were along for the ride,I vie shot 9 good bucks now all in oct because Iv learned to pattern them early I guess there just messing with us,bottom line this may cause extra work for the same outcome on our part.

25-Feb-13
Is hte early muzzleloader season statewide or is it a specefic hunting area?

25-Feb-13
If it passes it will be statewide, Doe only reguardless if bow or muzzleloader for those two days.

25-Feb-13
Hopefully it doesn't pass. I think the state has the deer numbers low enough.

26-Feb-13
There is possibly one really good thing about this. It helps reduce the number of does that were bred by dominate bucks from being killed later in the season. So this could be beneficial genetically.

26-Feb-13
Hmmmm with a new call in system I wonder how many people will shoot a buck with a smoke pole and call it in as a archery kill?

26-Feb-13
only the really, really stupid ones, Kelly, since it is an antlerless only season.

on the plus side, all you super generous/tolerant/loving/caring souls hunting in archery season should be quite pleased that you will likely soon be able to share the woods with even more people. hell, Linecutter might even actually encounter another hunter. perhaps if we all hold hands and sing a few choruses of "Kumbaya" the ODNR will consider allowing shotguns and handguns a few extra days sometime around Veterans Day. golly, that would be swell...

26-Feb-13
gotta wear hunter orange too that weekend...

27-Feb-13
I wonder how long until muzzeloaders are considered archery gear?

27-Feb-13
What I've been seeing for years and saying all along.

The push toward technology has leveled the killing playing field. In terms of success rates, a compound is a crossbow is a muzzle loader....they all exhibit very good success rates. We all know that the modern muzzle loader is right there with the modern shotgun for performance. The only reason this 2 day season is proposed for MLs is due to the fact that there are fewer of them...not because they have a significantly reduced success rate. This could just as easily been proposed as a 2 day does-only shotgun season...and it may yet happen if the wrong voices are heard.

The bigger picture is a blurring of the lines between weapons as technology never stops and 'legal' archery gear produces kill numbers as easily as gunpowder. At a certain point, the argument for separating gunpowder from arrows will be completely moot. The winners (?) will be those who own their hunting land and can control the pressure. The rest of the hunters will have no choice but to put up with blaze orange and hot lead.

27-Feb-13
Hey Jamie, Be glad to take you where I hunt at if you think I am full of BS saying I see very few Bowhunters. Because I think that is what you are getting at. It is over at Tri-Valley Wildlife I think it is something like 16,000 acres, and yeah there may be a few more that weekend if it happens. DANNY

27-Feb-13
say what you want but the corn feeder is what has upped success rates no matter what you use...theres still a large difference between bullets and arrows...my 150yd.shot on a buck this yr.with an inline muzz sabots and 150 gr.of pyrodex was a piece of cake...if there had been a quarter on tha deer i'd drilled a hole thru it...be a long time for anybuddy do that with an arrah...theres no comparison...

27-Feb-13
okay I'll bite coonskinner...

First...If you'll read my message, I didn't compare an "arrah" to a "muzz". I compared them in terms of success. The crossbow currently kills more than twice as many deer in Ohio as do muzzle loaders. Load that one with some Pyrodex and explain how it works. Doesn't matter how good you can shoot that "muzz"...the tech side of archery is out-pacing everything else...including the front-stuffers which I happen to respect. That's why your "muzz" can slip in the back door and hunt with the bowhunters and crossbow guys. It's also why shotguns are a heartbeat away from being included, too.

Second...You can try to put success rates on corn feeders if you want, but that's about as reasonable as blaming McDonald's for causing obesity. They might contribute, but there's a hell of a lot of people who never touch a Big Mac....or go anywhere near a corn feeder.

Thanks...I guess I said what I want.

27-Feb-13
no, that isn't what I was getting at, Danny. I believe you don't see many hunters. I know places where I can go afield and not see any hunters, too, but the problem is that I don't see any game in those places either. good places for solitude, hiking and stump shooting. when I go hunting, it is with the intention of killing animals, so I try to hunt places where I can score an oportunity. not many places rich in game and devoid of hunters in Ohio in 2013.

Archery hunting as we've all known it is gone, probably for good now. like Kevin said, the lines between our different types of equipment have become so blurred(save the good old fashioned simple longbow. it's still what it has always been) that making the distinction barely matters any longer.

all of us accused of being whiners, elitist, greedy, and so on, saw this coming 20 or 30 years ago or more, and is strictly why I've always been outspoken against more and more technology allowed in archery only seasons. now we have firearms in what used to be a bow and arrow only season. will only get worse from here until our deer herd is finally decimated.

27-Feb-13
i believe theres a lot of places you can go and not see hunters and see a good number of deer plus some very nice ones...most just doan want to do that kind of hunting...its just too hard...and thats why you doan see them...sure these places like little flat ground delaware near a large city like columbus will have too many hunters but the larger areas in the hills of southern part of the state wont...yup youll see a hunter here and there but theres lots more places with no one around...not so with deer...theyre everywhere in the forest...theres nowhere you can go you wont see deer...just how it is...it just takes some work...first to get in shooting range...and then how to get them out...which is a real good reason a lot wont hunt here...everybuddy wants a farm or land to manage and ride a 4 wheeler all over the place...

27-Feb-13
Does anyone have the numbers for the actual ML harvest which includes what was shot with MLs during the regular gun season? Our entire gang uses MLs during the regular gun season and shoot a lot of does with them.

27-Feb-13
i doan hunt the regular muzz season...just during gun season...i see a good bit using muzzes too during gun season which is a good thang...its lots more different than 15/20 yrs, ago when it was deer drive city...i havent seen a deer drive in years...everyone likes to sit(public land)...i doan hunt the early muzz seasons either...no doubt a lot of deer are being kilt in gun season by muzzes...

27-Feb-13
All I know is I'll be out there mid Oct. with my percussion cap hoping to tag a doe. I'll also be out there the first two weeks of Nov. trying to stick a big boy. Come gun opener I'll shoot the deer that gives me the best shot opportunity. During January's late muzz I'll be looking for the first deer that gets me out of the cold. The first deer I shoot (buck or doe) Oct-Jan my season is over. I'll drive and push for others after I tag out. I just like to hunt.

27-Feb-13
one deer...nothin wrong with that...

28-Feb-13
The guys who make this out to be about killing a deer are generally missing the point. It has to do with bringing...over time...more and more weapons and technology and shortcuts into our (used to be) traditional archery seasons.

There was a time: Guns killed a huge majority of Ohio's annual deer harvest. Bows had low success and very long seasons.

Now is the time: Archery is killing record numbers, and is nearly on par with guns for harvest numbers. Guns are pushing into bow season as a result. This is a simple objective FACT.

Archery weapons (as titled in Ohio laws) killed only 8,000 fewer deer in archery season than did guns in the 2011 general gun season. Can archery surpass the gun kill? If you say "no"...you are willingly blind. As archery becomes the dominant weapons-group for harvest numbers, the ODNR will look at allocating some of the traditional archery season to other weapons. Those who shoot muzzle loaders will enjoy this. The dedicated bow hunters probably look at it as another loss of opportunity (no buck with my bow?!!!) and logically so.

The bow was once a longbow or recurve. Welcome the technological revolution of archery in the '70s up to this moment. All manner of shaft-flinging devices and inventions are afield. So many, so effective, and so easy that they're threatening to surpass guns for total deer harvest. Suddenly the tables are turned on the archers, and the guns are invading archery seasons. Who is more technical and who is more traditional? Think about it.

We seem to be approaching full-circle.

28-Feb-13
Over some 43 years of bow hunting I have seen it more and more. We are our own worst enemy!

28-Feb-13
to get a bigger deer...to make it easier...the challenge of the bow and arrow deer hunting has been deluted...

28-Feb-13
just to get a bigger deer...to make it easier...the challenge of the bow and arrow deer hunting has been deluted...

04-Mar-13
I have no interest in involving myself in the current arguments present here; but I'd love to know why the DOW is forcing this season. I have not spoken with a single person that is truly in favor of it, yet the DOW claims their survey showed it was wanted. The DOW is no longer about conservation... they just want to pile bodies.

04-Mar-13
thats because the crowd you are around have the same feelings...i do know there are a lot of people thats not in the internet world that are for anything that gits them more days with a gun in the woods...and many have been complaining for years now that archers are killing all the bigger deer before shotgun season even starts...i would not be surprised at all if more hunters are for this...am i...i must admit i'm not sure i care either way...i doan just look at hunting from an archers eye...a lot do...we do share the woods with others that dont use bows and from what i see on the wnf or even on the private land i have access to...theres more hunting with guns then with bows if you go by the amount of hunters in the woods...so i guess majority rules...

04-Mar-13
The majority would rule ... if it were a vote. This season was not voted on. Personally, I believe the majority would tell the DOW this season is a horrible idea.

I do plan to take advantage of it by taking my son to Athens along with the group that went down this past October to bow hunt. We may shoot some deer too...but we sure as heck aren't going to do it in our already depleted areas. We'll leave the light on for you, Coon.

05-Mar-13
The gun hunters are only hurting themselves with this doe only season. They will not get the extended weekend of gun season that is for either sex. This two day season makes no sense to me. Just my 2 cents....

06-Mar-13
"just to get a bigger deer...to make it easier...the challenge of the bow and arrow deer hunting has been deluted... "

says the guy who shot his buck with a gun this year..

06-Mar-13
Out of both sides of his mouth he speaks words of wisdom!

06-Mar-13
I got this from the DNR website. Portions of the rule were restructured for clarity.

Justification: This season will encourage early, rather than late, antlerless harvest and is consistent with the structure of the antlerless permit program where “earlier is better.” Justification: The extra gun weekend was started in 2006 after an OSU study indicated hunters wanted additional weekend days to hunt, but recent trends in harvest and hunter contacts suggest that the hunt has lost some appeal. • The Antlerless Deer Muzzleloader season would replace the extra gun weekend and early muzzleloader season on 3 designated areas. • This season would be antlerless only. Archery hunting would be permitted that weekend and would be antlerless only.

06-Mar-13
i might be starting a second camp brock...you oughta drop in we may be hunting a completely different area as the one we're in now...if i find the right camping area...this could be a tent or camper set up...

flippo i do hunt with muzz now...i passed that same buck this year with recurve...150 yd.shot and the deer dropped and was dead within 10 seconds...150 gr.pyrodex pellets and 250 gr. shockwave...and no hill drag out...but about 1/2 -1 mile drag...no problem...hopefully this year i can hunt some with a pistol...but still a recurve is my favorite in the woods...

06-Mar-13
We will be camping at Stroud's during that weekend, George. Stop by, lots of people will be there that would like to meet you I'm sure. I doubt very much if I will be in Athens at any other time of the season or I'd look you up.

06-Mar-13
Wuth a Muzz? Then what is all the talk on another site about using a TC pistol george???????

07-Mar-13
you passed it with a recurve? Was it because you were shaking too bad to draw.

08-Mar-13
i'm planning on hunting with a pistol...never got one wit a pistol before...be neat...

i passed the buck during archery season because it was just a medium sized deer(rack)...it was a fast decision as the deer dint stay long as it was chasing a doe...it was the same spot where i shot it with the muzz...this time it stayed around longer...i passed it several times...once at 30 yds...and several times after that...i decided if it got to my predetermined area at 150 yds. and posed again broadside i just had to see what my new muzz could do at that distance...now i wanna see what i can do with a pistol...had i had the pistol last year i suspect i coulda nailed it at 30 yds...right now i plan to take a deer with every legal weapon...just how it is...

08-Mar-13
dang brock thats one area i'm looking at...you at the camping area...?

• Sitka Gear