Mathews Inc.
Just received my tags for A31
California
Contributors to this thread:
Rider 25-Jun-13
IdyllwildArcher 25-Jun-13
25-Jun-13
I just received my 2013 deer tags for A31. This will be my first year to hunt with a bow. I would appreciate any advice you are willing to offer.

25-Jun-13
I hunt San Diego's version of this tag (A22) not L.A., so I can't help with any spots, but it's really not that tough to fill a doe tag; they're everywhere and pattern easily. Week before opener, be in a high spot along any big drainage with oak trees as the sun is coming up and you should be able to find deer with any hunting bicoc. Then opener, be along that path an hour before legal light.

You should decide off the bat what you're going to shoot, whether that be first legal animal, or if you're going to hold out for a buck and how large. IMO, if this is your first season with a bow, shoot first legal animal - every animal with a bow is a trophy and doe taste great.

Did you get a 2nd tag already? If you haven't, I'd get an AO tag and then you can shoot a buck during the archery and rifle season and hold on to your A31 tag, depending on what walks by.

• Sitka Gear