Need pointers for caribou hunt
Alaska
Contributors to this thread:
huntlandandsea 27-Jun-13
Kaitum 27-Jun-13
huntlandandsea 28-Jun-13
27-Jun-13
Hello Alaskans!

A buddy and I will be up in your beautiful state the beginning of September. We will be freedive spearfishing in Kodiak for about a week for Halibut and then would like to do a week hunting Caribou.

My question is if you were us what would you do for the best odds on a caribou hunt? We would like to keep the hunt affordable as possible but still have a good chance at a caribou. I have done some research on the Haul road, but that seems like it can be hit or miss.

Also if any locals would like to trade a caribou hunt for a fishing trip in South Florida we can do that. I live in the West Palm Beach area and do a lot of fishing and freedive spearfishing on my boat and would trade a trip. Also my buddy is a flats captain in south florida and can put you on some nice tarpon and other back country fish on his flats boat. I like to fish off shore for sailfish and wahoo, so offshore is what you like I would be happy to take you out fishing. We would both be happy to trade trips.

We both have a lot of experience bowhunting and fishing. I grew up in Northern Minnesota bowhunting and my buddy has traveled all over the world bowhunting. Feel free to send me a PM if you would like to talk.

Ryan

27-Jun-13
You mentioned the Haul Road being hit or miss, but in reality that's caribou hunting in general. They're there one day and gone the next 364 days. Not sure what you're scale is of affordable or not but I'll assume affordable means not flying into a location since air charters are often the most expensive part of a hunt up here. You're best bet is the 40 Mile registration hunt along the Taylor Hwy. I've never done it myself but if you're hunting along the highway expect lots of company. I think the subunit along the highway tends to hit the harvest quota quickly each year so there's the possibility that area may not be open when you're looking to hunt. The middle unit would require flying in but 40 Mile Air could put you in a good spot, if they're not booked full already (very likely). Other than the Haul Road I can't think of any other road based options for a nonresident. Driving up to Happy Valley (north slope) and getting flown a short distance away from the road so you can rifle hunt and get away from the crowds is an option to consider, not as cheap as a road based hunt but not terribly expensive in the grand scheme of things.

28-Jun-13
Thanks Kaitum for the reply. I will look into what you recommended.

• Sitka Gear