Contributors to this thread:
willliamtell 11-Jul-13
IdyllwildArcher 12-Jul-13
IdyllwildArcher 13-Jul-13
willliamtell 15-Jul-13
NorCalBowhunter 15-Jul-13
willliamtell 19-Jul-13
11-Jul-13
The BEST part of Cali hunting is almost on us - the start of our uber early hunting season! Used to hate hunting in the heat and the dry noisy brush and leaves until I realized the bucks are in great shape and it sure tunes you up for real hunting out of state (as opposed to CA pygmy deer). T-shirrs and yellowjackets ho!

12-Jul-13
Yeah, I still have a long ways to go down here in SoCal.

Hard to believe A zone opens tomorrow; it feels like I have such a long ways to go to Sept 7.

It's only 3 hours away to public land too, I should just go. I hate this time of year waiting on openers.

13-Jul-13
Anyone get anything?

15-Jul-13
Had a nice big forkie in bow range last night - about 15 minutes after last legal light. Big boys always seem to know the drill, until the ladies make their brains go soft. I'm liking the velvet advantage of them not being in the nastiest thickets yet. Next time.

Idy, if you can get on decent land in zone A, it's pretty interesting hunting in July. Have to get up really early for a local hunt though.

15-Jul-13
Hiked 8 miles around Cache Creek W.A. on Saturday, and didn't see a SINGLE deer. Lots of tracks, but no track makers. Got back to my truck around 11 and headed up by Indian Valley. Drove all the way around the lake and back and only saw one fawn. Finally at about 7 a deer crossed the road ahead of me. I knocked one and made it to where he ran into the brush, and saw him holding about 15 yards from me. He was small, and I didn't have a shot I felt good about. I've never taken a deer, so it took everything I had to walk away from it. Hopefully I'll get my shot in D or B next month. And good job williamtell for not taking the shot anyway. Being new to bowhunting, I can't believe how many shameless poachers I run into.

19-Jul-13
Nailed one last evening. Got a coyote story behind it too. I'll post when I get the images up.

• Sitka Gear