Ollie 12-Jul-13
BigDfireman 13-Jul-13
Mr_steve 01-Jan-14
t-roy 01-Jan-14
t-roy 01-Jan-14
Elkman52 05-Jan-14
njschneider 02-Jul-14
11-Jul-13
I am working on gaining access to a small family farm in Unit 3, I will start applying for points next year. First of all can anybody tell me about the land and deer in Unit 3 and also is there any public land in that unit. The farm is not huge but has crops and some shelter belts. Thank you.

12-Jul-13
Any place in Iowa that has decent habitat will have deer. Is there any bedding areas on the property or on adjacent properties? If yes, the deer will be visiting the crop fields each evening. Don't know anything about public lands in Unit 3. A polite person can often gain access to private lands with just a little effort. Just stay away from areas where leasing is common as it will be tougher to gain permission in those areas.

13-Jul-13
Thank you for the info, sounds a lot like Kansas. The property belongs to some friends so I have not seen the property in person but I am planning a turkey trip this spring. That will be my first scouting trip...

01-Jan-14
Stealing this thread...

I am looking to bow hunt deer in unit 3 in 2014. Have gained access to a decent amount of land and curious about tags. I know in some units it can take a couple years to draw. Can anyone tell me draw odds or where to find them? Is it easier to get a shotgun tag? What is the best way to get a bow tag? Can landowners get me a tag?

I'll be doing some research myself but just looking for advice.

01-Jan-14
Mr. Steve,

I'm not sure how many points it takes to draw zone 3(I'm in zone 2). I would guess that you could very easily draw on your first try, if not, you should draw with one point most years.

Landowners cannot get you a tag.

Might be easier to draw a shotgun tag, however, I would suggest that you bowhunt. I would think your chances would just as good if not better to kill a good buck with a bow as with a shotgun, not to mention more satisfying (IMO). You can bowhunt during the rut as the gun season is not until Dec.

The only way to get a bow tag (unless you are one of the so-called celebrities that know who's butt to kiss!) is to put in for it during the yearly application process, usually in May.

Hope that helps some. Good luck!

Troy

01-Jan-14
Mr. Steve,

I'm not sure how many points it takes to draw zone 3(I'm in zone 2). I would guess that you could very easily draw on your first try, if not, you should draw with one point most years.

Landowners cannot get you a tag.

Might be easier to draw a shotgun tag, however, I would suggest that you bowhunt. I would think your chances would just as good if not better to kill a good buck with a bow as with a shotgun, not to mention more satisfying (IMO). You can bowhunt during the rut as the gun season is not until Dec.

The only way to get a bow tag (unless you are one of the so-called celebrities that know who's butt to kiss!) is to put in for it during the yearly application process, usually in May.

Hope that helps some. Good luck!

Troy

05-Jan-14
Don't know about zone 3 but zone 4 takes 3pts. or 4yrs for non-res bow shotgun every other year.

02-Jul-14
Stick to archery and there is a ton of public land in that unit.

• Sitka Gear