bowhunter1 19-Jul-14
BOHNTR 19-Jul-14
bowhunter1 19-Jul-14
BOWUNTR 20-Jul-14
Coldsteel 26-Jul-14
16-Jul-13

DeathFromAbove's embedded Photo
DeathFromAbove's embedded Photo
I've been using a trail cam in my deer hunting area and have found out I have a heavily used trail by a variety of animals. No Mountain Lion yet, but it has only been out for four months so far.

Anyway, I have not seriously thought about going for bear, but I got a nice photo of this cinnamon color bear. Now I might consider it. It looks small to me, but I do not know what the average bear size in SoCal is. I do not know how to judge a young bear, old bear, male or female. I've read the bear forum and look at ear size and or crease in the forehead etc... But since this is SoCal, I am thinking the bears do not get very big.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

18-Jul-13
Do you see how pronounced the neck is and the "thin" shape of the head...? Good indications of a smaller bear. Having said that, in SoCal a lot of hunters would still try to take it (DIY on public land in SoCAl is quite the challenge). My guess is it weighs about 100lbs.

18-Jul-13
Thank You!

Yes this is a DIY hunt on public land.

I do not believe this area has any hunting pressure, so depending on the bear's range and how much trouble he gets himself into with houses within a few miles, I could probably give him plenty of time to grow up.

So we'll see.

Thanks again for the info.

13-Jul-14
I'll be hunting bear in conjunction with my A20. Bears average a tad more in size in this area.

14-Jul-14
That's a beautiful colored bear.....but definitely immature. Southern California has some absolute huge bears....so they are around.

14-Jul-14
22" bears have been taken in so cal... I suspect the overall size will get bigger now that hound hunting is gone. Bears are difficult to judge. That bear does look small by the photo. Good luck. Ed F

16-Jul-14
I've seen some pictures of brutes that hang around where avocados are grown.

17-Jul-14

BOHNTR's embedded Photo
BOHNTR's embedded Photo
Here's a big ol' bear my hunting partner arrowed in the Southern California Mountains of LA County.

17-Jul-14

BOHNTR's embedded Photo
BOHNTR's embedded Photo
Here's another giant bear that I measured for the records books (CBH-P&Y-B&C). It was arrowed in the San Bernardino Mountains.

19-Jul-14
Pretty nice bears Ed !

19-Jul-14
I'm not Ed.....I'm Roy (the original BOHNTR)....and much younger looking! :)

19-Jul-14
Roy, pretty nice bears ! And I knew that , just a Brain fart !

20-Jul-14
That's funny.... I consider it an honor to be confused with someone as famous as the original BOHNTR... Ed F

26-Jul-14
I seen big bears around avocado orchards. In Southern Cal. Mostly on Private land. But damn those bruins are big!! They sure do like their avocados!!! Lol

• Sitka Gear