oksniper 26-Jul-13
Polar Bear 27-Jul-13
Lost Arra 27-Jul-13
Troy/OK 29-Jul-13
Popbow 30-Jul-13
soonerowl 31-Jul-13
dhousley 20-Oct-13
18-Jul-13
Having a bit of experience with the layout of the base, long time hunter there, and being dumb enough to talk about it here, I've gotten some PM's asking for advice. Now, I'm not THE authority on hunting there, and not all seeing, all knowing, but I'm willing to share general info with new guys that don't know what to expect or where to go. If you will send me a PM, I'll do my best to try to help you out.

My job takes me on base for sales calls to the fire department. The Chief is a good friend of mine, and I can usually pick up some good info. on what's going on.

For the experienced guys, you know what to expect, and where to go, so I can't help you much. I was a new guy once in 1971, and it was kinda spooky being by myself and not knowing what to expect. And, as most of you know, it doesn't take much in the way of a goofup to ruin your hunt.

So, if any of you new guys need some help, send me a PM. I'd rather discuss it that way rather than on the forum.

18-Jul-13
That is awesome of you. It can be overwhelming going it alone the 1st time. I knew so little that I didn't even realize it!

26-Jul-13
Im not sure how to pm anybody on here, but I drew boggy nov.8-10th. Ihave never hunted mcalester before. The 3 guys im going with have, but they have never hunted boggy. I would appreciate any info on hunting the boggy area.

27-Jul-13
Come out to the McAAP Trad shoot 3-4 Aug. Be lots of people there you can talk to.

27-Jul-13
Very generous offer by John Ryan. I wish someone had offered that on my first trip.

I'll offer a digital copy of the hunt map you will receive, at least I received, at the orientation. Just send a pm to me with your email. You can use it with Google Maps/Earth.

I shot a buck in Hominy but it's rained more in the past week than it had the entire year when I last went to Mac

29-Jul-13
Hey John - as always you are a standup guy. I drew nothing (4 years in a row now...) but your offer is awesome.

~Troy

30-Jul-13
John, You are doing a good thing by offering up your mentorship. We need to reinstate the NO-SHOW days, just saying!

31-Jul-13
John, when will you start telling your stories of MAC? I enjoyed hearing them before last years hunts!

20-Oct-13
Hi John,

I came across this great forum and your post after doing some research before my first trip to McAlester to hunt. I'm drawn for Boggy this upcoming weekend and in a party by myself. I'd be very grateful if you could share any insights into the hunt..... I tried to PM but got an error....so if you have time and are willing, my email is [email protected].

Thank you! daniel

• Sitka Gear