onX Maps
Help out some troops
Maine
Contributors to this thread:
TJW 20-Jul-13
H8UNH 08-Sep-13
20-Jul-13
Hey there Gents (and ladies...) My name is TJ and im station in southern maine with the USCG... i hit this thread up last year with little success. A few of the men i'm stationed with are looking for property to hunt in the greater portland area; we have got permission to hunt on a couple of pieces of property but guess what, so did a lot of other people... I personally and looking on taking my 10 year old son out this season but i do not feel safe doing so on the 2 places i have lined up. I have been wearing out the soles of my shoes asking land owners, i have even asked the CEO of sprauge properties but the property manager Mr. Green will not respond to my emails or phone calls... Some of the other farms tell me to check back in a few years because they have so many others asking, we are only stationed here for a few years...

To sum it up, I'm looking for landowners that will hook us up. My fellow Coasties and I are very respectful, ethical hunters, and good lookin too! Any way, I would really love to get my son into the great tradition of hunting in a safe environment.

Any help would be great!

Thanks for checking this out. TJ

08-Sep-13
I'm also in the CG and from Maine. Previously stationed on Reliance, grew up in central Maine. Your most likely not going to get much permission from anyone in southern Maine for fire arms, just won't happen. But......if you head out towards Eliot and ask those farms/ land owners and explain that you're going tobow hunt or use shotgun only, you should get permission. Other wise look around the public land in Westbrook and Gotham. Hollis is no good for expanded bow, they aren't in the zones. But there is some land in buxton and Hollis during rifle. Also, in Maine, if its not posted, it's huntable. Landowners must post their land. If they don't want people to hunt it. I don't post mine and that keeps me eligible for a land owners doe permit every year but my property is a long way from Portland. Any way, good luck hope this helps

• Sitka Gear