Driving meat through Canada
Alaska
Contributors to this thread:
IdyllwildArcher 27-Jul-13
luckychucky 30-Jul-13
muskeg in hyder 02-Aug-13
MDW 05-Aug-13
27-Jul-13
I suppose I should post this on the Canada pages, but I doubt they hunt in Alaska, so here it is.

If you decided to hunt the road system in Alaska and drive the meat (Moose or Caribou) home through Canada, would you need anything? Some sort of form? Is it allowed? Know of any problems once reentering the US?

30-Jul-13
I drove home from the lower 48 to Alaska with a Wisconsin deer cut and wrapped in a cooler with dry ice and they did not look twice. They (Canadian Customs) were much more concerned with my rifle. Get the paperwork done before you go and save a lot of time and hassle. My impression is that it all depends on what kind of day the customs agent is having and what he/she thinks of you.

02-Aug-13
I would check out US F&W form 3-177 .... for most things that import / export document is required.

With out that declaration you could have problems re-entering the US.

05-Aug-13
What muskeg said. Have all possible paperwork needed. My experience is that the better prepared you are, the less any of them spend with you. Last time through I had hunting license, permits, transfer of procession note {hauling brothers Caribou} and drivers license all in a zip lock bag. Border folks never even looked at it.

• Sitka Gear