AJ 19-Oct-13
r-man 19-Oct-13
AJ 20-Oct-13
AJ 27-Oct-13
AJ 03-Apr-14
26-Aug-13

AJ's embedded Photo
AJ's embedded Photo
Last year I learned a lot; it seemed every time I went out something went wrong. Day one a young buck ducked my arrow. Then for a month straight I'd make a mistake, (movement) and get busted. Lesson learned, hunting over dropped corn is not as good as you would think. The deer come in looking and on high alert. This year I spent the wet summer months clearing trails, cutting shooting lanes and setting up tree stands AWAY (but on the way) to corn piles. Right before the season opened (August 15th) this 8 point buck showed up. (Prior to this, nothing but 4 point and cow horns) I figured if I see the cow horn in the early season, the 8 point could be close.

26-Aug-13

AJ's embedded Photo
AJ's embedded Photo
Seeing a decent buck was in the area, all I could do is trust my plan. Three tree stands have been up since the end of June. By the last weekend of July, shooting lanes had been cut. The tree stands are setting off of baited areas of corn, and what I thought were traveled paths. The last piece was bug protection; bug Skinz, and Thermo-cell. Last year I was able to connect once, on a small buck. This happened after moving the tree stand off of a bait station. I was also busted by deer that appeared at the site and I couldn't move. The 8 Point buck kept showing up at last light, a no brainer as to when I needed to be at the stand.

26-Aug-13

AJ's embedded Photo
AJ's embedded Photo
On the 25th we had some small gusts of wind, and the direction put me on the south side of the property. Concerned that a young oak was blocking a good lane I cut it down. By 5:00 I was set, at 6:00 two does showed up down wind and expressed interest in the newly fallen limbs. They started munching on the leaves, just 10 yards up wind in front of me. Shortly after a young "cow horn" buck walked below me with another doe. At 7:45 I saw movement and stood up just in case the 8 pointer showed up. At 7:47 I let loose an arrow, by 7:55 I was down checking for the arrow. The shot distance was 18 yards, the buck came through the new lane I cut prior to sitting in the stand. The buck made it about 150 yards before he folded up. Good Time -

27-Aug-13
wow, great news, I am waitng for wma, dont have much privit to hunt

28-Aug-13
Great job AJ! So many think we in the baiting states just throw out corn and the slaughter begins. So not the case. Good luck the rest of the season. Dave

28-Aug-13
LC - Point well taken - "just throw out corn and let the slaughter begin". I've heard the expression of "pre-meditated murder" as another expression of our desire to help manage wildlife.

In lieu of getting on my soap box and preaching to the choir. Let us lead by example, ethical hunting is a good start. I learned the hard way, that baiting is not a smiple way to hunt.

Good Luck to you all, we still have 4 months to fill the freezer

19-Oct-13

AJ's embedded Photo
AJ's embedded Photo
Thought I'd share with y'all some recent images of the bait station during the past week.

19-Oct-13

AJ's embedded Photo
AJ's embedded Photo
these young ones have been putting on a show.

19-Oct-13

AJ's embedded Photo
AJ's embedded Photo
I've been bringing out some antlers and doing some rattling of my own. So far I've called in two squirrels, and a Northern Chipper.

19-Oct-13

AJ's embedded Photo
AJ's embedded Photo
To bad these guys are so young, I always enjoy seeing deer with swollen necks, ears pulled back, tail tucked.....

19-Oct-13

AJ's embedded Photo
AJ's embedded Photo
Kind of reminds me of high school - LOL ;-)

19-Oct-13

AJ's embedded Photo
AJ's embedded Photo
Same for Mule deer in early to mid November in Colorado. It's a sight to see............... Oh my wife is calling me - back to the honey do list (work)

19-Oct-13
do you see yotes on your property? they have been interfering with alot of areas around me this year.

20-Oct-13

AJ's embedded Photo
AJ's embedded Photo
I've heard some yapping in the early morning hours, saw 3, and took one out. I'm carrying a 9mm this year, last year I had no shot with the bow, branches, etc in the way. Plus the price of carbon arrows and broad heads, put bullets as a better alternative.

A friend of mine told me that I would not be allowed to hunt his property if he learned I passed up on shooting a coyote. This year, my second day of hunting this one crossed my path. On my next day out hunting, the 8 point buck pictured above, came out and gave me a shot. Karma.

I've seen pictures posted on bowsite of coyote's jumping deer while they are at a bait station. Last weekend I had a doe acting very nervous as she approached my bait station. She kept moving up and down through the bush looking into the station. Later on I found from the trail camera at the bait station, two turkey were dining while the doe was pictured in the background.

Normally I've found that whitetail are often at ease with turkey. I have plenty of video footage of whitetail and turkey sharing the same space.

All this has me thinking..... should I close down the bait station just in case the coyote's have learned how to take advantage of the bait situation. I think I'll close out the remainder of the season working pinch points and travel corridors, and not put the white tail (and turkey) at a disadvantage.

27-Oct-13

AJ's embedded Photo
AJ's embedded Photo
Last summer I marked (GPS) some areas that looked like good corridors', yesterday afternoon I brought my climber in and hung out at the edge of corridor. Two gullies intersect forming a "Y" there's good water, and a mixture of oak, and pine. It's also a "river bottom".

There is no quite way in, our out with all the falling leaves, it made the going in real slow. Once at the spot, to hopefully attract anything traveling through I put out buck lure on a wick, and cut some trees down to give me a shooting lane,(Thick forest lots of cover).

After getting situated I had a good 1 1/2 hours before sun set, checked distances all around, and enjoyed the quite evening.

I got the video camera out and learned the batteries were dead, bummer. My back up video camera, was in my day pack back in the truck, (double bummer) Sitting quietly I could hear acorns hitting the floor, Cardinals and Chickadees filled in between light puffs of wind. Moments like these are priceless.

I saw movement from the corner of my eye, slowly turned my head in the direction. 80 yards to my left a turkey, then another, and another. They were moving in my direction, behind me and to my left I could hear something walking through the leaves. A doe was coming into the bottom, I could hear her every step.

The turkeys and doe met at 50 yards, with all the dry leaves, 3 turkeys and one doe I had to chuckle at how much crunching of the leaves was going on. Even more so when the turkeys scratched up leaves.

The doe made it to the Y, I thought it odd a doe is on her own at this time of year. The turkeys were making a lot of noise, as they closed our distance it was easy to see their long beards hanging and nearly dragging on the leaves.

A small 6 point buck showed up following the doe, then melted into the woods.

The buck pictured in this message appeared, (less velvet) he too was following the doe. Being to my left and at 40 yards I was ready. The wind was right he was in perfect alignment to get a whiff of the buck lure. He stood at 40 yards broad side ears pointed to the doe, then the area of the lure, then the turkeys. No shot could be taken through the branches between us all I could do is watch. After standing at 40 yards he didn't like what his nose was telling him, so he moved to the "Y" and again stood for a long time watching, listening. This time he stood for a solid 10 minutes broad side at 50 yards. I gave him a doe in the can call, waited a few and called again. (Yeah my grunt tube is in my pocket, I feared movement would blow him out). The 9 point then continued on following the doe.

In from the same direction as the doe and bucks another buck, a decent 6 point shows up. He kept listening and watching the 9 point. All the while moving towards the buck lure wick. At last light, the buck was 10 yards below me with an easy broadside shot stood shaking his head and watching intently the movements of the 9 point.

Fly up time for the tom's one by one flapping, with the distinct sound of wings flapping hitting branches then silent, each took their turn. The 6 point didn't seem to mind.

The 9 point jumped the creek, which startled the 6 point and he blew out, holding at 40 yards, an owl hooted, (no gobbling), then again another hoot. The 6 point walked off in the direction of the smaller buck. I had to give the area some time to allow the deer to drift further away, hoping they did not bed down. I didn't leave the stand til 8, well into the dark I sat listening, to the silent forest and the occasional owl hoot.

Two months and 4 days to go.............

03-Apr-14

AJ's embedded Photo
AJ's embedded Photo
Just picked up the mount, and mighty happy with the results - First SC Archery Buck in Velvet. The taxidermist did a great job on this one.

• Sitka Gear