Contributors to this thread:
LarryW 12-Sep-13
bigblue23 12-Sep-13
Bowhunter0132 12-Sep-13
Emmitt 31-Oct-13
Habby 09-Nov-13
guidermd 29-Nov-13
12-Sep-13
I have a question since I am new to the sport of bow hunting. I tools shot at a doe the other day and MISSED!! The arrow hit a tree about 6" next to the deer I was shooting at. How long should I wait to get back into that tree stand again ??

12-Sep-13
Better get a target and practice. Shoot at different yards 10 20 30. And see where you are. Untill you can get good grouping on the arrows you shot you will prob just wound the deer and not find it.

12-Sep-13
I have to agree with bigblue23. Practice, practice, practice... and then practice some more. But practice in small intervals. If your arms are tired you will only teach yourself bad habits. I would suggest shooting before work and then again when you get home. Shot 3-4 strings of 3 arrows and quit. What area of Maryland do you live? I may be able to recommend a bow shop or even shoot with you in you are in my area. I practice all year long for hunting season and happen to have a coach/friend/hunting buddy who literally has read countless books and watched videos on archery shooting. I can drill sub 1" groups at 30 yards.

If you are confident in your shooting skills and think you just "blew up"(ie: punched, dropped your bow hand, collapsed ect) or hit a limb.. Go back to that stand. You spooked 1 deer out of a herd. There should be others around and she may not even know what happened. I hunt the same fews stands years round and only adjust if I really think the deer are getting smart. Last year I had 3 does coming down a trail about 20 yards apart from each other and I hit the first. 2nd deer came down and was smelling the blood covered arrow in the ground so I shot her too.

31-Oct-13

Emmitt's embedded Photo
Emmitt's embedded Photo
I totally agree... set up different hunting shots around your house and shoot at target until you feel 100 percent confident you will dispatch your intended target... tracking a gut shot deer is difficult... One shot one kill... Be an ethical and responsible bow hunter... I'm proud of you just for asking the questing...

Harvested these two bucks with crop damage tags,,, they were walking the same trail 15 mins apart... they look like twins... The blood trail did not scare the second deer away..

I would go to the same stand or at least to the general area...

09-Nov-13
Bucks on crop damage permits? I thought they were doe only?????

29-Nov-13
some nurseries do get crop tags for bucks, but the heads must be turned over tot he state with the completed tag

• Sitka Gear