Stan NJ 27-Nov-13
KJC 27-Nov-13
Stan NJ 27-Nov-13
Bill V 12-Dec-13
Stan NJ 12-Dec-13
RLong 15-Dec-13
Trophy8 22-Dec-13
13-Sep-13
Good luck to the NJ bowhunting fraternity. May you have a safe and enjoyable season. Please wear safety harness, respect private property, take high percentage shots, obey the game laws and honor the deer harvest reporting system (AHRS). Reminder - on last year's opening day, those that completed the "NJ SLAM" of fulfilling earna-buck doe opening morning and harvesting buck later that afternoon, all got a visit from the game warden next day. Don't let that discourage you - just follow the game laws and all will be fine. It's a pretty cool thing (that I have never done) but I know NJBUCK did last year (and reported the visit).

GOOD LUCK -

Jack

13-Sep-13
Same to you Jack!

13-Sep-13
Same to you guys, Good Luck

Bill V.

13-Sep-13
Have a great opening day guys and a very enjoyable and safe season.

13-Sep-13
“Don't think of what you have to do, don't consider how to carry it out!" he exclaimed. "The shot will only go smoothly when it takes the archer himself by surprose.” ? Eugen Herrigel, Zen in the Art of Archery

Good Luck everyone

13-Sep-13
Good luck everybody!!!

13-Sep-13
Good luck, folks. I miss the early NJ start. I am now a Massachusetts resident and we start on October 21!

14-Sep-13
same to everyone struck out this am saw a bunch of little bucks

14-Sep-13
Had 2 does with a small buck pass just out of range.

14-Sep-13

Jack Harris's embedded Photo
Jack Harris's embedded Photo
My streak of same arrow, same VPA non-vented BH came to an end at "4". She only ran 30 yards, aimed above the heart at 24 yards, but it just so happened to hit heart perfectly dead-center and BH lodged in opposite leg and insert split end of shaft and arrow popped out. BH looked great but doesn't spin well anymore so that was a $22 shot! Oh well - off to buck hunt tonight... Good luck everyone

14-Sep-13
Great job jack!

14-Sep-13
Congrats! Can't wait to get out this week! Good luck tonite!

14-Sep-13
could have filled more doe tags tonight, didn't see any bone hunting my buddy's cornfield. Then the bears took over. 350 lbs, 150lbs, 75 lbs, all showed at different times. The last one ran like hell when I nailed it in the a$$ with my rattle-pack. Hunt over.

15-Sep-13
i tagged a nice doe last nites she was one of 15

15-Sep-13
Way to get it done Jack n Gary. I shot a nice doe last night...she only went 50 yards. I feel your pain Jack, had a quartering away shot and arrow exited thru off shoulder but fetching got hung up. When she crashed she snapped my "alpha" arrow.

15-Sep-13

KJC's embedded Photo
KJC's embedded Photo
I got out for about an hour last night after work. About 15 minutes into my sit 4 does came down along the edge of a weed field. I took the lead one. She ran about fifty yards into the field and went down. The other 3 milled around her for about 20 minutes than slowly walked off. Taking out the alpha doe of the group this early might help me out later on in the season.

15-Sep-13
looks like an old doe Ken - congrats everyone... Just a coyote this morning to ruin my hunt in my woods, Giants football this afternoon...

Go Big Blue!

15-Sep-13
nothin but bucks last night again going to a doe only spot tonight lol

15-Sep-13
man I miss Nj, good going everyone, hope the rains this yr bring in a record rack for one of you. R-man

15-Sep-13
I saw two Saturday ... One big doe came in behind me, and I couldn't get around on her. Another circled me completely twice for 20 minutes and never came closer than 40 yards. Never had a clean shot, so i watched he play

16-Sep-13

Stan NJ's embedded Photo
Stan NJ's embedded Photo
picture of my doe from saturday afternoon

16-Sep-13
nice doe stan have 21 hanging in cooler

16-Sep-13
nice doe stan have 21 hanging in cooler

16-Sep-13
thanks Gary...you got some work to do!

16-Sep-13

bowhunter48's embedded Photo
bowhunter48's embedded Photo
My doe from saturday

16-Sep-13
Nice work everyone! Guess I got my work cut out for me if I'm going to make anymore posts just made some Hual lines for myself and some others. Putting my seamanship skills to use. Keep the pictures coming and hope to putp some of my own soon

17-Sep-13
I got out on Sunday night. I hunted the same stand that I shot the doe from the night before. I wasn't in the stand very long when I see a buck moving down the same trail the does took. He came right into the oaks that I'm in and fed on whiteoak acorns for about twenty minutes. He's a nice six point with no brow tines. I'd put him a 3 1/2 years old. If he had brow tines on him it would push his score up to around 120 and I probably would have used my buck tag. It's just too early in the season for that.

17-Sep-13
hunted last night, my buddy's corn field, opposite end of where I had 3 bears come by me. Saw similar corn damage from this stand, about 50% trampled down so I expected more bear action and less deer. Refreshingly - no bears. Had a 1.5 year old 8pt, very small rack come out first, could have shot him all night long as nibbled his way around the field, then had two big doe and 2 fawns same deal, could have shot several times over. The one doe was as big as they get, and was very tempted but still finishing up packaging the one I got. Got up to go this morning, tweaked my back getting dressed so will spend the next few days stretching and not hunting. Had a great job interview yesterday - hope to be back to work soon.

17-Sep-13
Hey Jack, congrats on your first deer and good luck on the job interview!!

17-Sep-13
Im still doeless lol

17-Sep-13
got the job - it's in Jersey City (looong drive from Sussex County). But it may take 3-4 weeks to start... Dammit, I will just have to bowhunt my a$$ off in the meantime, maybe go to Block Island striper fishing... But the reality is, the only rut hunting I will probably get is weekends... Usually I take 5 - 7 vacation days scattered through late October through November.

17-Sep-13
Congrats Jack! Great news! That didn't take long! Hope you can still get to Ohio?!

18-Sep-13
Jack...let me know if you need me to look after those deer during the week for ya ;) ....congrats on the new job.

18-Sep-13
Congrats on the job, Jack! That's some great news.

19-Sep-13
First skunked hunt of the season tonight. The highlight was watching the farmer drive the sh#t spreader by my stand at 6:45 PM, go dump the cow sh#t, then drive back at 7:00PM... That is pretty much "prime time" for deer to enter the alfalfa field. Oh well - now that I see this is the nightly pattern that stand is relegated to mornings only.

21-Sep-13
nice foggy morning mid-50s... Full moon killing the hunting I guess. 2 red foxes came by stand, and were chasing each other well within bow range for5 mins. Then a skinny young spike walked right up to them out of curiosity, and then followed them out of sight. I thought that was a bit odd. I am sure if they were coyotes it would have been completely different reaction. I guess I will go tonight, with very low expectations.

22-Sep-13
congrats on job i wont be out till prob oct.

02-Nov-13

Backstrap Joe's embedded Photo
Rear left leg broke = deformed right antler

02-Nov-13

October Glory

02-Nov-13
nice one Joe Time to start a Meat Pole!

04-Nov-13
I'm still on my first Jersey Lic. Hunted last Jan and shot 3 does--- Did not see one buck of any size.

Well, yesterday saw my first Jersey shooter, tending a doe 250yds, all I could do was watch and hope. My guess from that distance, 130ish.

Good Luck guys. Bill V

04-Nov-13
Saw a 130in 10pt 8am sat at 125 yds. grunted at him he ran 100yds. got down wind end of story ...still nice to see.

07-Nov-13
Hunted tue all day sit saw 21 deer nice and cool .Wed same thing 4 deer all day but I saw the same 10 at 8am.My buddy on the other side of the property had a slow tue. and a great wed afternoon?

08-Nov-13
Had a nice 110" 8pt go by last sat and sunday. Sat at 20yrds but wouldnt stop except once behind a tree. Then came in dead straight on and left straight on wouldnt stop again. 4 yards. Saw many other deer mostly small bucks. As it got warm up to tues deer activity slowed and delayed till almost dark.

09-Nov-13

KJC's embedded Photo
KJC's embedded Photo
I had the week off from work and hunted every day since Sunday. I spent 7 to 8 hours in the stand every day. The wind was a real problem this week. My stands are mostly set up for North to West winds but all week the winds blew from the South & East.

I saw lots of trailing but only a little bit of heavy rut activity. I passed up 18 shot opportunities on bucks. Most of them small bucks. One eight point with his right main beam snapped off. Weds night I saw a big mature six point chasing pretty hard. I probably would have shot him if he came close enough.

Yesterday I had a perfect wind for some property I hunt in zone 11. I had a doe come in behind me walking a trail in the brambles. I turned around in my stand and a few minutes later here he comes. An almost perfectly symmetrical mature 8 point.

09-Nov-13
KJC that,s a better pic. congrats I hunted 4 days this week,Tues. and wed. sat all dayI saw 7 bucks mostly small and 14 doe on .wed only 3 does and a big 10pt.I think its the one I saw last week.Fri morn 5 bucks including a 10 pt and 2 does .sat. morning 1 doe and a 10pt. at 35 yards.I don.t think it.s the same one I saw wed.

09-Nov-13
Congrats on a good looking deer.

11-Nov-13
Awesome buck KJC - congratulations!

11-Nov-13
Nice KJC, Congrats!!

Bill V.

12-Nov-13
Saw 5 doe last night and gunted in a spike that thought he was much bigger. Neither of the long-nosed doe afforded a shot or they would have been jerky.

13-Nov-13
Looking for a doe tonite and had 5 bucks around me and no ladies.

13-Nov-13
KJC thats a beauty way to wait him out. Congrats

13-Nov-13
Beautiful buck. Congratulations.

Boy things sure did die after saturday when I missed the 8pt. Pretty poor rut. I have not seen a chasing in 2 weeks.

18-Nov-13
What is everybody seeing? I haven't seen muture bucks chasing yet. Only young ones. It's gotta bust loose this week. Cold temps tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

20-Nov-13
A big 8 point (160s) was killed in Delaware Twsp last weekend. Mass and symmetry like you can't believe!

20-Nov-13
Jake23 - if you still waiting for rut to bust open, i am afraid you missed it. It's nearing the post rut phase about now... Sure some does are still coming into estrous but well past peak.... It was an earlier than usual rut this year, and rather than a condensed week of madness, it was more of a trickle effect. Right place - right time. Based on my observations, that "one day of the year" to be in the woods all day was actually in late October...

20-Nov-13
I agree....weak rut...and earlier than usual.

20-Nov-13
I wondered what the effect of that October full moon would have on the estrous cycle, and I think it was close enough to the "rut" that it actually did trigger enough does to start menstruating... Usually when that full moon hits in early November, it creates that wild mad rut that we all have seen from time to time...

20-Nov-13
KJC - good looking 8 you shot earlier this month! Do you have any pics of the big 8 shot in Delaware township that you mentioned? I live in VA but my wife's parents live in Delaware Township and I'm constantly visiting the area. I also keep up with the NJ bowsite forum. Thanks.

20-Nov-13
4 point- I do have some pictures but there not mine to post on a public forum. If you PM me your email I'll send them to you.

21-Nov-13
Thanks Jack. I was out in Oct and saw the crazy chasing. I was able to tag a nice 8pt. I guess I was anticipating more activity in the 2nd rut. I was out mon-wed this week (all day sits) and saw normal patterns. Only one small buck chasing a doe. Just wanted to validate what I was seeing.

21-Nov-13
They should be going a little better next week.The best activity I saw was the end of oct.It's time for the next cycle.Over the years (and its alot of years) I have seen three of the best bucks I ever saw the fri. after thanksgiving.It is not over yet!My buddy saw 3 bucks walking yesterday afternoon,500Yds. away I saw zip!

22-Nov-13
Based on what I've seen I would agree with Jack. Lots of craziness late october and then kind of moderate. Warm days have been way off.

Been doing lots of bird hunting as I am tagged out and can't hunt muzzy opener.

I will say I've not seen this many deer per sit in any of the last 3 years. Lots of small bucks.

23-Nov-13
Like Mike I have seen many small bucks. We've been laying off the 1year olds the past few years and we are seeing more antlered bucks. One more year and it should be real good. Taking last stab with the bow tonight. Going to enjoy a pheasant hunt w my lab this morning. Cant wait for muzzle loader!

26-Nov-13
Definitely an early and trickle rut for me. Even my trail pics died after11-12-13. So much for Alzheimer's prediction for a late one. I had great action in mid to late oct. Of course 2 weeks before vacation. Back to trying to hunt as close to beds as possible w/o spooking them. Saw 23 deer sun night. I found a great new place out of the wind and so did the deer. Unfortunately, most were very far away and came out very late, least to my spot. Need to move to catch them sooner. Goin out fri am then take my daughter out small game 1st time.

27-Nov-13
Passed alot of bucks so far waiting on a good one...cam pics show a few. With that said...I am going out tonight in full kill mode...meaning if I get a shot at a mature doe, an arrow is going to fly. Sometimes you just feel like letting one rip! Will report back soon!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

27-Nov-13
Good luck Stan! I have the same game plan for tomorrow.

27-Nov-13

Stan NJ's MOBILE embedded Photo
Stan NJ's MOBILE embedded Photo

Was a good night. She only went 60 yds! Might sleep in t'row now. Back at it on Friday.

12-Dec-13
Has anyone been out in the snow? How's it going out there?

I can only get out on the weekends and holidays this time of year so, would like to know how its going in the snowy woods.

Man, its awesome to be in a stand in the snow!

Bill V.

12-Dec-13
Sat tuesday night in the snow...LOTS of action...around 14 deer! Target buck did not show. Leaving to hunt tonight in a few minutes.

The cold really gets them moving earlier IMO.

15-Dec-13
I just hope my blind survives the club drives.

22-Dec-13
Late on the post, but congrats to all, some great looking deer have been taken.

Hunting a solid 6pt, only one daytime pic...hope in the next 3 weeks he shows in the daylight.

• Sitka Gear