Maryland
Contributors to this thread:
mixed bag 19-Sep-13
Bowhunter0132 19-Sep-13
Shuteye 03-Nov-13
Habby 12-Nov-13
Billhuntz 22-Nov-13
19-Sep-13
I booked a sika hunt for later in Oct.I decided since I'll have the license I might as well go try day on some public ground too.Can anyone suggest good public ground for bow hunting??I was looking at Blackwater but maybe some of you have better selections. I know it will be tough getting one on public.Should I hunt in woods or marsh edges??I know,look for sign.Should I wait a little for the rut or is the hunting decent now?? Thanks for any help your willing to give

19-Sep-13
Couldn't tell you the first thing about Sika or Eastern shore hunting.. but good luck!

03-Nov-13
I have only bowhunted sika a few times. I went to Blackwater and killed a stag the first time I went. Went back to the same spot the next year and got a doe, or whatever female sika are called. The only thing I did't like was the skeeters. I was hunting close to the headquarters. Only a mile or so down the road and I climbed a tree about 200 yards from the parking lot. That first day I could easily killed a second stag but the limit was one. They didn't seem nearly as smart as white tail deer to me but possibly I just ran across dumb ones. I haven't been back.

12-Nov-13
Sika Rut early in Oct...

22-Nov-13
Like Shuteye I killed a stag on my first hunt at Blackwater, went back a couple years later and saw a few but went home empty handed. Blackwater is big and the sika are there.

• Sitka Gear