pogo 17-Dec-13
kc 17-Dec-13
Peepin Tom 18-Dec-13
bow shot 18-Dec-13
pogo 19-Dec-13
bas4109 19-Dec-13
pogo 20-Dec-13
10-Oct-13
For the past two years I run my own thread detailing my season and some of you seemed to enjoy it. I thought I'd run another thread again this year.

I am hunting just south of Rochester near Mendon Ponds Park on a small piece of land that one of my friends has allowed me to hunt for the past two years.

I took a nice seven point in 2011 and harvested a nice little eight point on the last day of the archery season last season.

My scouting was done last January, February, and March while looking for sheds and the deer taught me a lot about their patterns.

Today was my first bow hunt of 2013 and it was just as I thought it would be.

The walk in was enjoyable but I had a hard time finding my favorite tree back in the oaks. It took me a few extra minutes, but I was up about eighteen feet sitting in my API climber by 6:40. The weather was pretty nice... a little cool and very little wind out of the SSE.

As I sat, remembering all the good days I've already had on this farm, some motion brought me back reality. A buck was headed my way. I got a pretty good look at him with my binoculars well before he was in my shooting lane but seeing he only had a six point rack, my bow never left the hanger. I watched him pass by unharmed and then checked my watch to see it was only 7:20.

I didn't see another deer until an hour later when a doe and fawn passed by on the same trail.

I stayed up the tree until a little after 10:15 and then made a little scouting walk around the property to check on the deer sign.

I found several rubs but not one scrape.

As I was moving from a soy bean field into a corn field I thought I was going to have a heart attack. There on the ground was a shed...... four points on the left side of what I only assume was a yearling. It is the first shed I've ever found.

If you remember right I walked this farm about ten times last winter looking for sheds but never found a single one and now I almost tripped over this one.

I packed it away and continued to walk along the edge of the corn and made my way back to my car. I was tired.... a little warm and pretty darned hungry.

I'm not going to hunt as hard this year so my next entry might not be until Saturday. But check back and se if I can make it three years in a row.

10-Oct-13

pogo's MOBILE embedded Photo

My first shed!

10-Oct-13

My view this morning.

10-Oct-13
I enjoyed it last year and you got me sucked in again Pogo!! Good luck.

-PT

11-Oct-13
I'm glad to have you along, Tom.

It looks like the wind is setting up for a Saturday hunt down in the swamp about four hundred yards from the oaks. According to my Scout Look app we will see an east wind on Saturday.

While I prefer to hunt the open area of the oaks, I'm sure there will be at least two other hunters hunting there.

If you remember from last season, these guys use a Bad Boy Buggy to get to the tree and park it between the corn field and the oaks.

I also found the stand again on the farm to our south edge that is about 300 yards up wind from where I've been successful the past two years so I avoid weekends in the oaks until the first of November. Sometimes you have to use the other hunters to your advantage. :)

11-Oct-13
I enjoyed it too. Keep it up.

12-Oct-13
Day two is done.....

I made my way down into the swamp this morning and hunted out of a tree that I've hunted out of before. The problem is the area is thick and you can't see the deer until they are right in front of you. It makes it kind of tough to video the hunt.

I was settled in before shooting light and enjoying watching the sun come up. It's a good time to have a conversation with your maker.

My conversation with disrupted with some movement below by a family of coons making their way to their den tree before it got to light.

Soon I could see my pins so I chose to stand so I could get my bow off the hanger without to much trouble.

I thought I heard a noise from behind my tree but with my old ears and being to vain for a hearing aid I just wasn't sure but I kept an eye out behind me. Sure enough, out steps a deer and through the brush I could see horns. Three up on the left but I couldn't make out any on the right.

I slowly reached up and got hold of my bow just in case. He soon walked out and into my shooting lane and I got a real good look at him from about ten yards.

Like I said he had three up on one side and a long spike sticking straight out to the right about ten inches long. I kind of felt sorry for the guy. He was a freak so I let him pass.

About a half hour after a red fox come bounding through and I would have liked to get some footage of him but he was fast going through the opening and I had no chance to get the video camera on.

About an hour later I saw six does and fawns making there way along the edge of the corn field towards the bedding area. They were about eighty yards away. I tried calling to them to see what kind of reaction I'd get. but they couldn't hear the can call and kept walking.

I decided to set my Knight and Hale grunt tube to a doe bleat and try again. After several calls it was apparent they were only interested in heading to the safety of the bedding area.

But a minute or two later I looked down and here was a three pointer standing looking for the doe that had bleated. He was three yards form my tree and directly below my stand. I did manage to get some video of him before he slipped away.

The rest of the morning was quiet and I climbed down at around 10:30 and packed my stuff up. I made my way back to my car and was so happy to have another day up a tree.

It looks like we have some weather coming in and the next chance for a hunt might be Thursday, we'll see.

17-Oct-13
Day three was actually....... disappointing!

I hunted the oaks this morning and didn't see a deer. It's only the second time I've had it happen while hunting this farm. And it was the perfect wind!!!! I guess that's why they call it hunting.

I took a little walk after climbing out of my stand and found some scrapes but it looks like they were opened up a couple of weeks ago. No fresh rubs or scrapes anywhere to be found on this farm. Anyone else seeing the same????

I'm not hunting this weekend so I don't know when I'll get back out.... but when I do I expect it to be better.

17-Oct-13
post as much as you can...this is a good read. Thanks for sharing

18-Oct-13
Thanks Trapper. I'm no expert but if I share my thoughts and in the field experience on here it might help people with their own hunt. They might read about me doing something right or wrong and help them develope their own plan.

I will try to keep it interesting. ;)

18-Oct-13
Thanks for devoting the time to this Pogo!

I always enjoy it. 'Hope to get out this evening and for a bit over the weekend!

24-Oct-13
I wished I was getting out a little more than what I am this year, but the best is yet to come. I hope to be able to spend more time in the stand as the rut grows nearer. We shall see.

This morning we had a frost for the first time and I had high hopes for hunting the oaks once again.

After my usual half mile walk in and climbing my favorite tree I settled down and waited for the sun to peak it's head.

I had put the camera arm on my tree in the dark but I didn't put my camera on it because it wasn't light enough to video. In the darkness about ten minutes later, I could hear several deer below but I couldn't really make them out. They were nothing more than dark shadows as they came through. They were headed towards the corn field to the north, usually the direction they come from. I think there were three or four.

Once it got light enough to see I put the video camera on the arm and waited for some action. The wind was perfect for this hunt and I was on alert.

My first sighting of deer was that of three does at around 7:25, working along the opposite side of the oaks along the swamp. They were taking their sweet time as they walked along quartering into the wind. Behind them came a small six or eight pointer trailing them by about forty yards or so. Then a spike behind him. I couldn't help but think it should have been the other way around.... but maybe one of the does was coming into heat.

The wind started to pick up at around 8:30 and I did not see another deer. But, I enjoyed tree surfing a little until I realized I was just wasting my time. This wind had made them become inactive and I'm sure they found some cover from the wind down in the swamp.

I climbed out at around 10:00 and made a check of the area and found several rubs on some tree's that didn't have anything on them the last time I was in the oaks so maybe things will pick up.

As I walked up the side of the corn field towards my car, I heard a crashing sound in the corn to my left at around 20 yards. I turned just in time to see a nice set of antlers headed towards the other side of the corn. I'm not sure of the size but I'm guessing he was a shooter eight or ten point. He made me smile as I drove home.

It looks like Saturday morning for me for my next hunt. I hope it gets a little more exciting.

26-Oct-13
Every day we are hearing more about car/deer accidents so the rut has to be kicking in..... right? I'm not too sure. But I was excited to get a chance to find out.

I am happy to report I had a bonus day in the stand on Friday! I thought I had to wait until Saturday, but I had a client cancel a morning appointment so I decided to hunt on Friday morning. Two days in a row for me!

It was a little cooler and the wind was straight out of the west which is the best wind for hunting the oaks. The deer movement is usually from North to south, but sometimes they trick you by traveling south to north.

I moved to a different tree this morning to take better advantage of the wind and wasn't disappointed. At first light I had two does feeding around my tree looking for the acorns that are starting to disappear with all the deer and squirrel activity. At one time I could have dropped something on either of the does and as tempting as it was, I didn't. There is nothing like having live decoys. They fed around the oaks until about 7:45 and then made they way towards the swamp to the west.

About ten minutes after they left, I started seeing more movement coming from the corn and I figured I'd see a buck coming my way, but to my surprise, five does and fawns came into the oaks all by themselves. No bucks any where near them. They fed through the oaks and once again I could have dropped something on their backs before they left for the brush bedding area to my south.

A little before 9:30 I had a lone doe come from the corn on a slow walk headed to the brush bedding area and thought for sure a buck would be along. Still no buck. I decided to climb down at around 10:00 and do a little scouting.

I packed up my climber and put it onto my back and decided to check out the other side (west) of the oaks. It didn't look like any more rubs had been made and I avoided the swamp bedding area and made my way along the west edge of the cornfield towards the other swamp bedding area I like to hunt when weekend hunting pressure is on.

I quietly skirted the bedding area looking for new buck sign but nothing was new. Same old scrapes and rubs and no sign of freshening any of it. I did pick out a tree that I think will be perfect for a morning hunt with a SSW wind.

I came to the last cornfield and crossed the west end of it and made my way into the hedgerow between the corn and the soybeans to discover the beans had been harvested. This should improve the hunting near the corn and acorns.

I made my way back to the car and loaded it up and started home. I called my buddy that owns the farm as I was driving (Bluetooth) and we had a nice conversation about the farm and the other guys hunting there. Nobody has taken any bucks so far this year and both of the other guys bow hunting have noticed the same thing that I have.

As far as big bucks go, Mark said he hasn't seen any around this year, but then again he doesn't hunt and I'm not sure he would know if a buck is big or not unless it's a real monster. I made a dinner date with Mark and his wife for this weekend so I'm sure we will speak more about it.

I have decided not to hunt this weekend with the way the weather is and I hope that this next week is better as far as the forecast goes. Right now Tuesday is the only day that is looking good but it is my golf day.

If you are seeing any sign of the rut, let me know. Until then, I'm just going to shoot a little in the back yard to keep sharp.

31-Oct-13
Yesterday HAD to be the day to see big bucks!

But it wasn't. But at least I had some action.

I use the early season to help me pin point where I need to be when the action heats up. Each year is a little different as far as the prime location is concerned.

I decided to hunt a different area of the farm yesterday because of the wind and also because I wanted to check it out.

It's what I call a transition or staging area between feeding and bedding. I'm sure it is far better to be there during the late afternoon when the deer move into this area waiting for enough darkness to feel secure in the open. But I thought I'd try it and see what happens.

I made my way in along the edge of the cornfield as quiet as possible... I did real good.... and as I entered the woods I had a good feeling. I picked my tree the week before and I was up to about 20 feet and ready to go way before it was light enough to see.

My first deer of the morning was a spike which was actually coming from the bedding area and headed to the corn. It was still early but I drew on him to see if I could see my pins and I had little problem seeing them through the peep. It was still too dark to video and I hadn't even put the camera on the tree arm as of yet. Now I waited for the right buck to come along.

About a half hour later I had six does and fawns make their way out of the corn and headed my way. They took their time and it allowed me to get some footage of these relaxed deer as they fed their way to the bedding area.

About ten minutes later one lone doe came down the edge of the corn with a faster walk then the ones before her. Nothing following though.

Here comes another deer.... a three pointer and he walked right under my stand. I actually looked between the slats on the floor of my tree stand to see him. He's the same one I saw about one hundred and fifty yards away from this spot two weeks ago. He too was headed to the bedding area.

It was just 9:30 when a couple of more does came walking through headed to the bedding area. No buck to be found around them.... but as I was about to give up, I saw a fairly decent buck... maybe an eight make his way past the far edge of the woods to my west at around eighty yards or so. He appeared to be slightly bigger than the eight I took last year. I tried to get some video of him but I'm afraid I didn't do a good job.

I stayed in the tree until around 10:30 and the only animals I saw were squirrels so I climbed out, packed up and made a little walk through the hardwoods towards where I saw the eight. I did find a couple of scrapes that were not there last week but they didn't look like they are getting hit. Just opened and not returned to.

I walked back past my tree, picked up my gear and headed out to my car. I couldn't help but think these bucks have got to be getting the itch right now. Why am I not seeing more signs of the rut? Why is this year so much different than the past years?

I think.... or hope..... the action will pick up very soon and I also think that when it does it will be extremely good. I hope to hunt this weekend and next week I will start putting in more time in the woods.

Will I return to this section of the farm? I'm not sure. I think I will concentrate on the oaks and hope we get some chasing and cruising over there.

Oh by the way..... the next time out, I'm using my favorite little scent trick. I will be using a tarsal gland and dominate buck urine with a drag rag to attract a decent buck. Stay tuned.

31-Oct-13

pogo's embedded Photo
pogo's embedded Photo
I thought I'd include a photo of the farm as I see it on my Mossy Oak Weather Scout Look app.

Let's see if I can get to look halfway decent.

For reference, the left side is North. The brown areas to the north are all standing corn fields. I walk in next to the hedgerow that runs down the east side of the corn. Along the bottom of the photo is the swamp bedding area.

The area that shows the "marker" for deer and turkey nearby is the oak flat I keep referring to. This is where my last two bucks have come from. It is best to hunt with a SSW wind. Last years buck came into the oak flat from the north in the morning and the buck the year before came from the south during an afternoon hunt.

There are bedding areas to the right side just passed the atv track.

Most of the deer movement through the oak flat comes from the corn field from the left and the deer want to head mostly to the bedding are by the track but sometimes they head to the west swampy area.

The three markers along the bottom left side of the photo are only hunted weekends with an easterly wind. I've seen deer every time when sitting in these stands.

04-Nov-13
November and all is well in the woods..... well.... almost!

This was the first time I've been able to hunt in almost two weeks and I found things changed.... changed for the better!

I wanted to hunt up in the oaks this morning but the wind was supposed to change direction at around 8:00 this morning and if I hunted the oaks and it did change, I'd mess up the place so I went to the west side towards the swamp and climbed a tree I had spotted during my winter walks of the farm.

I was in and comfy but just a little later than usual and it was light enough to see my pins as I was ready to sit down. I sat there in amazement with how far I could see now compared to the last time I hunted the oaks. I'm not kidding you.... I can se every square foot of the oaks from my tree.

The wind changed just like my Mossy Oak Hunting Weather app said it would and I had a pretty good tree for this wind. I was over looking the edge of the swamp where several trails come together. It wasn't long before the action started.

At around 7:30 two small does came down the trail from the south and made their way towards the swamp. They were both pretty small and I figured Mama must have had a date so they were on their own.

At 8:00 I pulled out my rattle horns and started out pretty soft. I ticked them together for a minute and then got just a little louder. I caught some movement off to the south and I was a little surprised. Here comes an eight point on a quick trot and he's coming towards the rattling. I grabbed my bow from the hanger and got ready.

He tried to circle around to get downwind but he walked right by my best shooting lane and I was already at full draw. My pin was on his heart and I bleated him to a stop. He was dead right there..... but I let him pass. He will be a great buck next year.

I passed because although he was a decent eight he wasn't much bigger than last years buck. Yes I know.... I've been watching a lot of videos lately. But I think I can do better on this farm and I've got about five or six more times to hunt it before gun season.

I was smiling ear to ear as he headed out to the corn field and I settled down and took a drink of water out of my pack. But I couldn't relax for long.

I looked over to my left towards the swamp and a big dominate buck was walking about thirty five yards away. He was sniffing the trail that the little does had walked down and he was passing me by.

I pulled out my grunt tube and gave two little soft grunts and he froze. He looked in the direction of the oaks and stared for what seemed like an eternity. Then he turned and started walking my way. He went behind a tree and stopped and I was able to stand and get my bow off the hanger. He waited.... I plotted his death. He waited.... and waited... and so did I. I could plainly see his head and neck. He was just twenty yards away and with a couple more steps he was mine.

I admired his rack. He was wide.... "outside his ears" wide by a couple of inches. His brow times were at least six inches in length. His G2's had to be ten or maybe twelve inches long and he had great mass. His G3's were almost as big. I bet he would approach 140 inches. I was already at full draw. Waiting... watching! Two more steps is all I need.

NOPE! He turned towards the swamp and I watched him walk out of my life. I tried one more grunt series and he just kept on walking.

Frustration kicked in as I sat back down and replayed everything that just happened in my mind over and over...and I was sick...... until!

I heard something behind me in the oaks. I turned to see another eight pointer coming towards me. Unbelievable! This one was smaller then the one I had passed but he came within ten yards of my tree and I had several..... several times I could have killed him.

It was now a little after 9:30 and I texted one of my buddies and told him what was going on. He also had several bucks around him this morning up in 6K but all scrub bucks.

At a little before 10:00 I pulled out my Black Rack rattling horns and I started another series. I tried to watch every direction because I don't think the wind direction mattered much this morning. Over my right shoulder I could see a deer running in my direction. And another!

Two small bucks came charging in trying to find that fight. They got to about twenty yards and just stood there looking. The hairs on their backs was standing straight up and they were both excited! I have never experienced this before and I was loving it!

One buck was a solid six and the other was a crotch horn. If they had come in like that when that big buck around, I think they'd be real disappointed. They finally had their fill of not finding the fight and they turned and went the way they came.

I waited until around 11:00 and then decided it was time to climb out. I packed up my stuff and lowered my bow and pack to the ground and made sure they were off to the side of the tree. Then I proceeded to climb down with my API Grand Slam Magnum. This is where my day got even more interesting.

You know the little rope you are supposed to tie between your seat climber and your base? Thank God I make it a habit to do this. I started to climb down and my base fell down the tree and left me sitting about eighteen off the ground. I couldn't help but think.... I'm glad I've got my safety harness on. I sat and I tried to figure out the best way to handle the situation. The worse thing you can do is panic so I sat there for a few seconds.

I finally decided to try to retrieve the base with my foot. Not happening! Then I pulled my base up with the rope as best I could with one hand and tried to get the base level. Not happening! I finally got the base to grab the tree and I lowered myself down on the crooked thing, making sure it wouldn't move before I lowered my seat down a little. I was able to get control of the base now and all was well but I took a minute to calm down a little more before finishing the climb.

The rest of the trip down the tree went as planned and I was happy to hit the ground.... softly!

I packed up my gear and was ready to head home but I had to take a little walk to where I saw the big buck. I tried to pick out a tree over in that area but they are all twisted and nothing I could use a climber on. Maybe next week I'll bring a chain on stand and put it in one of those twisted ones.

As I was walking out I couldn't stop to think of what might have been this morning. Both the good and the bad. During my drive home I called my wife and told her I loved her and then all was well in my world again.

My next hunt should be Wednesday. I hope to share some pictures of that big eight at that time.

05-Nov-13
Cant wait till Thursday to see how you made out on Wednesday. This is good stuff!

06-Nov-13
Another great chapter Pogo!! A similar thing happened to me with my OLD Summit Viper but I didn't have a rope connecting the pieces so the foot bed went about 8ft below me and that was another 6ft off the ground!! Nobody knew where I was and I was stuck 8ft above my foot piece and it was getting dark fast! I had to carefully shimmy down the seat section and with all my strength hang my body in a chin up position and just let go and hope I landed correctly on the lower platform and not catch the side and fall to the ground. Luckily it worked and as soon as I hit the lower section I hugged the tree and held on tight. I had to go back a couple days later to retrieve the seat section with a ladder. Not my brightest moment but it did teach me a lot about how quickly things could go to heck in a hand basket!! Good luck out there.

06-Nov-13
KJ and Tom..... thanks for the kind words. I hope you are enjoying it. I enjoy writing this as it helps me relive the hunt over in my head and I think it helps me become a better hunter.

NEVER.... and I mean NEVER take any shortcuts when it comes to tree stand safety! Always wear a harness and always attach yourself to the tree before climbing. Accidents do happen.

Today was as disappointing a day that I can remember. It was about twenty degrees warmer and I think the deer didn't move very much.

I decided to hunt the oaks this morning seeing I had a SSW wind and it's the best wind for the oaks. I found my favorite tree and attached my stand to it.

Today was my first time using a little scent trick on these deer. I had my drag rag soaked in buck urine in a zip lock overnight with a tarsal gland from my sons buck. I walked across the oaks towards the swamp and added a little more urine to it and dragged it towards and past my tree and then hung it about chest high from a little sapling about fifteen yards up wind in my best shooting lane.

I got on my stand and SAFELY climbed up to about 20 feet. I hauled up my pack and bow and attached the camera tree arm and video camera in hopes of getting that perfect shot on video. I was all settled down in my stand about ten to fifteen minutes before shooting light.

This morning was my most anticipated hunting morning of the season after my last one. I said my usual prayers from the tree and watched as the woods woke up. The birds started singing and the squirrels started doing their thing and it was time for the deer to move. But they didn't move much.

At around 8:15 I finally saw my first deer of the morning coming from the farm to my east and making their way towards the swamp on the west side of this farm. They took their time and I watched them with my binoculars as they disappeared. And that's the last deer of the day.

I tried rattling and grunting again today but got no response at all. I stayed up that tree until about 10:00 and then climbed down and packed up. Before leaving I had a little scouting to do.

I went over to the swamp and relived what had happened on Monday and decided to look around more a little more to the north. As I walked I started to notice a little more buck sign and then I finally found a rub line on trees about the size of my leg. Four trees in all about a total of 250 yards were torn up pretty good. I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer.... but I'm not the dullest either!

I picked out a nice tree in what I think is the best stretch for seeing the big buck and even though today was disappointing, I started to feel better about it. I found another piece of the puzzle.

Now I look forward to my next hunt either on Friday or Saturday morning. Any type of east wind would be best but I think I can get away with the wind out of the south as well. Now.... I just need a little luck!

06-Nov-13
This is a great read pogo! I'm really enjoying it. I'm anticipating your next hunt and report! Thanks for sharing.

09-Nov-13
This morning was not as expected. I had a good SSE wind and I made it up the tree I had picked out on the rub line.

I was up and ready before it was light but the only thing I saw was two guys in a Bad Boy Buggy. It's a shame these boys can't walk in to hunt. They drive through the corn field where the deer are in the dark and then drive right to their tree.

They drove in late and by 8:30 they were down and driving out.

Next hunt is on Monday...... maybe an all day hunt.

11-Nov-13
Monday morning was a little better. I made my way into the woods on the west side of the big corn field and was in my treestand well before light. I was blessed with a georgous sunrise. I never get tired of seeing this.

At around 7:45 a doe and fawn were spotted about 80 yards away heading to the corn field. They are most likely bedding on the other side of it this morning.

At about 8:15 a small eight pointer came across the corn field and entered the hardwoods about 50 yards away. I grunted to him and he stopped dead in his tracks. I thought he'd be coming in my direction but he turned and continued the direction he wanted to go and it wasn't mine.

I also got a message that a friend of mine who hasn't been bow hunting but a couple of years, arrowed a four pointer near his Moms house and I think he hit it a little too far back. I told him I would come and help him find it but he thinks he can find it on his own. I hope so.

I waited until around 10:00 to climb out and then I went over to the north side of the property and prepared a spot for my ground blind on the back end of the corn. I can only hunt it with an south east wind, but the forecast for Wednesday calls for that.

I might even try an evening hunt even though I don't have much luck with evening hunts on this farm.

12-Nov-13
I have to agree Pogo, the sunrise in my treestand always puts a smile on my face no matter how the hunting is going. Did your pal find his 4ptr?

Good luck this week.

12-Nov-13
good luck

13-Nov-13
Thanks HoytCountry...

@Peepin Tom..... no he did not.

When he contacted me I offered to make the 40 mile drive to help but he said he was good and had help. He went after him about two hours after the shot and saw him get up and walk away. He also found half of his arrow.

He tried backing out and waited another two hours but he lost blood about 100 yards away and then the rain fell. By the next morning, there was no sign at all. He pushed him to quick after the shot and it cost him. Lessoned learned.

This morning was one of those mornings that I thought everything was going to go just fine.... and it did, kind of.

I was in the same tree as last time and had a perfect wind. At a little after sunup I had two does come down the trail about twenty yards away to my left and then comes a buck about five minutes later. It was the same eight pointer I had already passed and he didn't look any bigger so once again, I let him pass. I have to admit, it was harder this time.

At around 8:30 two small bucks came to my right and they were just walking along like nothing was going on. One spike and a four point. They soon were gone and I thought I might see some more but it was not to be. I sat until about 10:30 and then lowered my bow and pack and climbed out.

As I was about half way down the tree, I heard a noise behind me and as I looked over my shoulder, there was the spike about forty yards away and just walking along. He never knew I was there and after he left I continued my climb out and packed up.

On the way out I noticed a lot of tracks along the east edge of the corn and I'm a little surprised by this. But there is a little bedding area there and I suppose they were using it this morning. I continued on my way but made a mental note of it.

When I got out I stopped out and visited with my friend that owns the land and he said that he saw a real good buck this morning right behind his house on the edge of the corn. He said he was all by himself and just walking along towards the other corn field... the same one I was near. So close but no cigar. You've got to love it!

I can't hunt tomorrow but I plan to be in the stand all day Friday and see if I can duplicate last years last day of bow season when I harvested that decent eight pointer.

If I don't tag out Friday, I'll be in my favorite stand on Saturday with my muzzleloader. I doubt I will shoot anything but it give me an excuse to sit in the stand one more time and see another sunrise.

I leave for New Mexico for two weeks on Wednesday to meet our new Grandbaby that will be born any day now and I'm sure my wife and I will take a day trip up to the mountains to see some elk.

One day I hope to hunt them with my bow.... but I'm afraid it's only a dream. I'm too cheap to pay the big $$ to hunt there with an outfitter and it's almost impossible to draw a nonresident tag in New Mexico without one.

Check back on Friday night and see if I connect on the last day. Even if I don't, this has been a very successful season and I'm grateful for being allowed one more..... but I really would like another! ;)

19-Nov-13

pogo's embedded Photo
pogo's embedded Photo
My bow season ended without taking a shot this year.

I was in my favorite tree in the oaks early Friday morning and enjoyed yet another sunrise. The deer moved fairly early and I saw lots of action during the first hour of shooting light.

The first deer spotted was a four point and he headed my way and passed at just five yards. He was followed by a spike about two minutes later. Then two doe passed by at around 20 yards, all headed towards the swamp.

At about 8:30 the eight pointer I've passed up several times came out of the corn and headed my way. I was up and at full draw by the time he got into my shooting lane and I stopped him with a bleat. I had him at just ten yards. I decided to pass on him once again.... he would have given me some excellent meat but I watched him as he walked towards the swamp.

I saw several more deer moving in the distance but by 9:30 the action had stopped. I sat in that tree and enjoyed the rest of my morning and decided to move to where I would hunt with my muzzleloader the next morning. I climbed out and moved about 400 yards towards the other corn field.

I located the tree I wanted and proceeded to go up. I had packed a couple of sandwich's and I always have a bottle of Vitamin water with me. I sat there until dark. I was able to enjoy the sunset without any deer bothering me. I left my stand attached to the tree and made my way home. The excitement started at around 9:00 PM that night. Our Grandson, Cason Grey DiAntonio was born in New Mexico. He is healthy and weighed in at 9 pounds 4 ounces. My wife and I slept well knowing all was well in our world.

On Saturday morning I was back in the tree before it was light and saw absolutely nothing but squirrels. There were a few shots coming from the farm next to us. and I thought Ed might have shot at first light about 300 yards from me.

I decided to call it a day at around 11:00 AM and during my walk out, I stopped to talk with Ed up near the horse barn. It was Ed that shot... he had taken a small seven pointer on the east edge of Marks farm. I was amazed at how small the body was on that buck. He couldn't have been much more than maybe 115 dressed, but Ed was happy.

We leave for New Mexico tomorrow morning and we will won't be home until December 4th, but I hope to hunt the late bow season so I might be back with some good news. See you when I return.

19-Nov-13
Great stuff Pogo!! Congrats on the new baby and have a great trip!

21-Nov-13
Congrats on the new grand child Pogo. I enjoy the detail of your days in the field. sorry you didn't tag one in the bow season but I didn't either . I passed up 3 smaller bucks and when my chance came for a shot at a good one, he picked me out and bolted. Opening weekend of gun all I saw were flat heads . Well take care of the new baby.

12-Dec-13
We are back from New Mexico and I am frozen stiff.

This afternoon I headed to the farm and I have to say, I took my muzzleloader with me I instead of my bow. I made the walk along the edge of the corn field and found a nice place to setup in the hedge row where I could see the west end of the field. The wind was blowing from the WSW and was perfect for this setup. I expected to see deer a little before dark and I was right.

The first doe came out cautiously at around 3:30 and more followed.... six in all. They we're looking for any little piece of corn they could find under the snow. The biggest doe guarded her spot from the others.

With just a few minutes to go, my first buck, a six point appeared where the first doe had entered the field. I put my range finder on him and it read 92 yards, well within the range of my 50 caliber. I passed up the shot and held out for better.

Just as I decided to pack up, another two bucks came into the field slowly. A small 8 and a spike. I watched as they started to feed but then it was time to sneak out and head home.

My walk out was cold and when I got to my car it was only 16 degrees but the wind made it feel much worse. As I drove home I was thankful for another day a field but I sure do hope it warms up a little before next Tuesday.

I've got two more hunts at the most left before I pack my stuff up for the long winter. It doesn't look like I will fill my tag this year but I sure am grateful for the time I've had hunting this year.

13-Dec-13
Good Luck Pogo, I was hoping to get one more crack as well but we have about 33" of snow so I'm a bit perplexed as to what to do. Do the deer even move in that much snow?!?!

16-Dec-13
My season has come to a successful conclusion with but one day left!

I wanted to share my good fortune with my friends tonight but I'm tired so I will be back tomorrow with the story and some pictures!

16-Dec-13

pogo's embedded Photo
pogo's embedded Photo
Here's a quick look at him!

17-Dec-13

pogo's embedded Photo
pogo's embedded Photo

17-Dec-13
Yesterday morning I took care of business on my desk and finished everything on my "honey do" list by 11:00 or so and I decided to make the short drive down to the farm to see what deer had been moving. The fresh snow gives a good view of deer movement.

It was pretty cold and I really didn't want to be up a tree with my bow so I decided to carry my Traditions, 50 caliber in line muzzle loader this afternoon.

I made my usual walk but it was a little harder with about a foot of snow. I cut my first track just behind the horse barn and continued to the first corn field. This is the one I had last hunted and it didn't show much deer sign. I used my binoculars to check out the far end and there were no tracks to be seen. So there was not much sense in hunting on the hedgerow as I had before.

I walked towards the other corn field and started seeing lots of tracks made that morning on the northwest edge. I continued to walk the edge all the way to the oaks but the farther I went, the fewer the tracks.

I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer but I'm not the dullest either. I turned around and walked back to the Northwest side and slipped quietly into the woods.

I settled into a blow down and placed my folding stool in the middle of it. It was cold, about 14 degrees, with the wind in my face and about 2:30. I knew the deer would move a little early with the colder temps coming. It was supposed to drop below zero tonight. But I didn't see a deer until almost 4:00.

I looked to my left and spotted a doe and fawn about 100 yards to the south entering the corn field from the oaks where I hadn't seen much sign. I thought I might have made a mistake but decided to stay where I was. I had the wind in my face and thought I was better off right there. Besides, I was pretty comfortable.

Around ten minutes later I saw some movement at the far end of where I could see and tried to get my binoculars on it. Yes... it was a deer but it was moving from the left to my right and it is pretty thick over there. I continued to glass the area for more movement and when I hadn't found any more deer I thought it had to be a lone buck and I would have to move in to get a closer look.

I left my stool and moved towards the thick stuff to my right, moving very slowly, from tree to tree, using my binoculars to dissect every little piece of the cover. My patience paid off.

I finally saw a ear move about 90 yards away. Then I picked up part of a bone white antler. The buck took about two steps and stopped and tested the air. He stood still for a minute before moving another two steps and repeating.

He moved behind some thicker cover and it allowed me to move about twenty feet closer while keeping some trees between me and him. The snow helped me be quieter than usual. The wind was still in my face. I dropped down to one knee and waited for him to make the next move.

He did and he made a mistake. He turned and walked in my direction and I was able to get a better look and I knew even though he wasn't a big buck, I was going to harvest him if he offered me a good shot. I had a good reason for taking this buck which you will learn about if you read this to the end.

He walked into an opening in the cover and stopped. I looked at him one more time through my binoculars. He wasn't a monster buck I was after but I thought he was an eight pointer.

My Halo range finder told me he was at seventy two yards. My crosshairs were on his front shoulder as I made my final decision.

I was some what surprised at the sound of the gun and I even seen him fall which doesn't usually happen when firing a muzzle loader. I had made a good shot and he didn't move out of his track. It was done.

I made my way to him and thanked God for granting me this animal. I took a few pictures with my phone and sent one to my old hunting buddy back home and my son. Now the work starts. I'm about a half mile from my car, up hill and with a foot of snow. I don't think my deer cart is going to work all that well.

As I walked towards my car I called Ed, one of the other guys that hunts the farm to see if he was home. I had to leave a message for him, but he returned the call before I got to the car. He owns the Bad Boy Buggy and he said he would come over as soon as he could to help. I continued to get the cart and started the long walk back to my buck.

It was getting dark now as I opened him up and removed the bad stuff. His lungs were like jelly and he cleaned out pretty good. I cleaned up my hands with some snow and a couple of paper towels I always carry and strapped him to the cart and started the drag towards the corn field. It wasn't long when I saw the lights from Ed's Bad Boy Buggy and Ed walked down to meet help drag the cart up into the field.

We hooked the cart to the buggy and headed up the hill to my car. Ed helped me load him into the trunk and then we talked for a couple of minutes about the deer seen on the farm this year. Ed said there were two eights and a ten taken. He also said that while I was in New Mexico there was an absolute monster buck and another ten point seen during one of their deer drives and nobody could get a shot at them. So there is something to look forward to for next year.

My ride home was satisfying as I thought back on the memories I had from the past three years hunting this farm. I have been blessed to take a big seven pointer, an eight pointer and this six pointer all from the farm my buddy lets me hunt.

I harvested this buck for one of my friends that has fallen upon hard times. Her husband is too sick to hunt, has lost his job and they needed some help. They were extremely happy when I dropped this buck off to them last night. And it made me feel good to help them out. They will enjoy the nourishment that God has helped me provide for them.

17-Dec-13
Thanks for the good read. I just read the whole thread beginning to end. It was nice of you to help someone out in time of need.

18-Dec-13
Nice work Pogo, on the buck and the writing! I very much enjoyed reading these submissions throughout the season and to add the happy ending was the topping on the cake! Have a great off season and Merry Christmas.

18-Dec-13
Thanks pogo!

19-Dec-13
My season this year was enjoyable to say the least. I didn't spend as much time in the woods as I'd have liked but maybe next year, if the good Lord blesses me with another year.

Writing my thoughts, experiences and memories while still fresh in my mind helps me smile.

I want to thank each one of you that has commented during this time. Like I've said before..... I'm not a pro hunter and don't pretend to be. I'm just a 63 year old guy that loves to hunt and I love to share. It's nice to know that I have effected you in some way.

Peepin Tom, bow shot, kc, kj in 8j, HoytCountry, EagleCrg, trapper and C. Beck..... thanks for the comments.

19-Dec-13
Nice story. I have enjoyed following your season from beginning to end. Congratulations on ending it with a nice buck!

20-Dec-13
bas4109......

Thank you for the nice comment. My pleasure Sir.

• Sitka Gear