Chip T. 19-Oct-13
Monmouth533 20-Oct-13
H8UNH 20-Oct-13
Elkman52 21-Oct-13
Elkman52 21-Oct-13
RLong 23-Oct-13
RLong 23-Oct-13
14-Oct-13
So, I've hunted one day and saw deer, cool! When does the rut usually happen in NJ? I'm used to late November and even into December anymore in Maine because it doesn't get cold like it used to. I've heard it works around the moon cycles here. In my experience though full moons are bad for hunting because the deer move at night and bed down during the day. Any validity to that here. I'm basically a student to noting all over again. Having a blast with it here though.

Happy hunting

16-Oct-13
Pre-rut is starting about now... It varies every year but Peak Rut can be around 11/8 or so. Last few days of October through 11/20 are usually "can't miss" dates that will land you well within the rut...

19-Oct-13
I've seen a couple of small bucks pestering does this past week but nothing that I would call 'rutty'.

November 3rd till the 20th...be in the woods every possible minute! JMO

19-Oct-13
i saw very good chasing last night from young bucks in 35 and I had a big boy under me for ten minutes tonight and I could not seal the deal in 50. He was grunting up a storm not chasing just walking around like he owned the joint. When he standing at the base of my tree I could smell him. if the temps drop its gonna let loose.

19-Oct-13
Thanks guys. I got in the woods today for only the second day this year. I jumped 2 getting to my tree, saw another 15 minutes in yay stand , and after 45 minutes total time I harvested my first deer with a bow. It was a small button buck, but I was pumped about the shot. 30'yds, deer on the move. I pulled down on an opening unobstructed arrow flight and as soon as his front shoulder appeared I nailed him. Humane shot complete pass through, destroyed the heart. He hardly even ran maybe 5 yards. Nice clean kill and my first ever with a bow . I thought I was still earn a buck but found out it wasn't the case. Time to stalk the big boys. Having a blast with the bow, may never hunt with firearms again after all this. Good luck to everyone

19-Oct-13
A big congrats to you!!!!!

20-Oct-13
Congrats H8unh no better high in the world as far as im concerned and nothing as addicting. Good luck on your buck now. Fall Bow ends next friday then permit begins. I hate the fact this is the second year they shorted us a week. time to spend money on permits.

20-Oct-13
I know it, fortunately I didn't ever get used to the longer fall bow season. Luckily it's reasonably cheap if you consider the amount of tags you can fill. Sadly with a 1 1/2 yr old and 9 week old, getting those kitchen passes to hunt is harder than actually hunting. Still an awesome sport, and this website.

21-Oct-13
Congrats !! The first one is always special and one you will always remember.

21-Oct-13
Congrats !! The first one is always special and one you will always remember.

23-Oct-13
Congrats on your first bow kill! It is one that you will not forget.

23-Oct-13
Congrats on your first bow kill! It is one that you will not forget.

• Sitka Gear