taznatious(TAZ) 21-Oct-13
taznatious(TAZ) 22-Oct-13
taznatious(TAZ) 22-Oct-13
taznatious(TAZ) 26-Oct-13
taznatious(TAZ) 26-Oct-13
taznatious(TAZ) 27-Oct-13
taznatious(TAZ) 27-Oct-13
16-Oct-13
last week bou bound came to NB and got to name a bait site he killed a heck of a bear and his son nick saw but did not kill. this Friday bou will return and hopefully nick will kill a hog like his dads bear. Im not good at writing stories but I figure ill give it a try. we will call this day one. with rain on its way I choose to not bait today. last night I baited 2 barrels full of bread and set up a game camera. I will go early in the morning and switch the cards also post any good pics. I picked up 200 pounds of Chinese food that I will put in the barrel along with bread and meat. hopefully by not baiting I have 24 hours of cam pics to give me an idea of whats hitting the bait and when. I have 2 back up stands as well and 1 other camera up. which stand nick hunts will be decided Friday morning

16-Oct-13
Debate free,seriously we cant bicker on this thread.Man if i had only known i could do that!LOL all that chinese food likely will attract many species.

16-Oct-13
yes I find skunks come for the veggies but the bears clean up the rest quickly. the key is to give fortune cookies for last. the message inside is not good - death is certain

16-Oct-13

16-Oct-13

Bou'bound's embedded Photo
Nick and I are looking forward to trying again. It will be a short two day trip and the weather may be spotty, but this is a nice advantage of living just seven hours from the hunting area and having an outfitter who is flexible and friendly. A number of times in the past I have been fortunate to take a bear on a "quick fall run up". I hope nick can do the same and tag his 6th bruin with Mark in the last 6 years.

the photo below was his first, taken in 2008 at just under 300# and scored at 19".

This bear was taken on his 21st birthday and the story will be published in the Nov/Dec. issue of Bear Hunting Magazine.

16-Oct-13

16-Oct-13

16-Oct-13

16-Oct-13

16-Oct-13
Go get'em Nick. Keep us updated.

17-Oct-13
Good luck Nick! Get a good one.

17-Oct-13
Good Luck Nick !I still think they like the raisin bread the best .STEVE

17-Oct-13

taznatious(TAZ)'s embedded Photo
day started off wet but the sun did come out I checked the back up stand got a lot of pics of good bears .liked this pic the best

17-Oct-13
unfortunately due to computer operator error I lost all the pics from nicks bait site . I saw them loaded them to computer and they disappeared. im working on finding them now but don't hold your breath.

18-Oct-13
raining today but that wont stop nick. hes on his way and should be in the stand by noon. I can find the mobile app for my phone or id update with it . not raining hard so good chance of daytime action at the bait site. Im off to load up the barrel and hang a stand . quick pit stop for coffee and cheese curls and the hunt can begin.I think standards might be lower due to only 2 days to hunt and wet weather.

18-Oct-13
that sow is huge.

20-Oct-13

so much for this story! lol gnt an nick got in the back up stand around noon. there was a lot of activity at the bait prior to their arrival 3 sow 6 yearlings and 2 other good bears. it rained the night before and all that day off and on . they saw nothing Friday and the other 2 baits had no activity either before dark. this pic is from the day before

20-Oct-13

Saturday was a beautiful day and I started early checking baits and trying to figure out what was the best option for them . all baits were hit but the one they sat in Friday was cleaned out. grant and nick arrived and nick decided to hunt the same stand as we agreed that it may have been the weather that keep the bears off the bait Friday. after a long sit and just before dark a good sow with 2 yearlings showed up. as I was sitting in my mini van snacking on cheese curls I noticed a good bear crossing the logging road headed to the bait. with only 20 min of hunting left it was going to be close if he did make it in. another pic from before they hunted

20-Oct-13

Im picking pics from the 3 days before they hunted so forgive me for getting the dates wrong. this pic you might think is sow and yearling but the smaller bear looks to big to be a yearling . in the fall you see more bears feeding together that are not related . I may be wrong but a lot hunters would take either bear on the last day of their hunt.

20-Oct-13
Back to the story ! legal hunting is close to ending and im on my way up the trail to get grant and nick when I got a text saying to wait. I thought the bear that crossed the trail has made it in. just moments after the text I herd a loud moan. my heart was racing I was so exited . I continued my walk and got a text saying come on in.. I was so happy! as I approach I herd another moan this time louder? to much time had passed from the first moan? I then realized their were cows not far and it was them I herd the first time not the death moan of a bear. I was disappointed but after I got to grant and started thinking about weather and how late in the season it was and add it was only a 2 day hunt. Seeing 3 bear was not so bad.

20-Oct-13

20-Oct-13

now it my turn to hunt. Ill keep you updated here on this thread. I wont get out till later this week but ill get the cameras up today and share some pics. headed out to clean the van and pick up my gear before I go back to work on the ferry, TAZ

20-Oct-13

Good time for two quick days. Really enjoyed the time back with you in NB and look forward to next year. Looking back, getting this one on the first run up made the season a resounding success.

Nick's choice to pass on opportunites that others would have taken on three of the five nights he hunted over the past two weeks is something he is fine with particularly given his prior success with you.

Take care and thanks for everything

20-Oct-13
I went today and filled 1 of the barrels . I set up a camera as well m looking at Tuesday to hunt as spending time with my daughter . we will bait and check camera tomorrow.

21-Oct-13

got the pics and walked in on a little guy headed to the bait at 1 pm. pics of sow and cubs 20 min before dark but think the cam was in a bad spot.to far away at a bad angle changed trees this afternoon

22-Oct-13

rain and wind I didn't sit but I did get some new pics

22-Oct-13

26-Oct-13

last night I sat from around 4 30 to 6 30 had a smaller bear come from behind and took forever to come in and when h did I decided to pass. he'd be good eating but wont be much eating. I left and sat again tonight. I got in the stand at 4 and around 5 I had 2 little butter balls stroll in. mom walked around the bait at 20 yards and I never had a shot at her. she was patrolling keeping the little ones safe. glad she didn't know I was right above them because she had a bad temper. at 530 a big male walk towards the bait. mom took a fit. ran the male up a tree and made darn sure he didn't come down until the little ones were safely away. she walked off never to be seen again. The male came down and started to the bait very carefully and slowly. when he final got to the bait he was king. well for a few minutes anyway. I decided it was time to fill the freezer. he gave me a slightly quartering away shot and I let the arrow fly. he ran off but not like i'm used to. he ran slower and only a short distance no moan just stopped running. with all the dead leaves it wasn't hard to hear him. the forest went silent then less then a min passed when I herd the leaves rustling in the same spot the running stopped. I waited then got down. I found the arrow close to the bait covered in blood and hair so it went through and im sure ill find it in the morning but ive seen this before and we will know in the morning if I have a dead bear. found bears with less blood and not found bears that bleed like crazy. its a new bait and not real interested in looking in the dark especialy with no death moan. added a pic of mom from yesterday

26-Oct-13
ok wrong pic sorry. its her just not from yesterday

27-Oct-13
searched everywhere not a drop of blood to be found . It rained all night but still should have found something. 4 people looking but no bear. It happens and sucks when it does . arrow went in and out thought for sure it crashed close . this pic is the bear as it stood when I shot.

27-Oct-13

searched everywhere not a drop of blood to be found . It rained all night but still should have found something. 4 people looking but no bear. It happens and sucks when it does . arrow went in and out thought for sure it crashed close . this pic is the bear as it stood when I shot.

• Sitka Gear